OT: World Cup | Page 23 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
One final criticism of Bradley, that hardly anyone has mentioned, but how in the hell do you not slot that into a keeperless goal in the 55th minute or so? Should have been poked home. Ok. Got that out of my system. No more ripping the USMNT for me. On to the next one.

Yeah - that was bad. He actually sort of did it right in a technical sense - when you get that bouncing ball, make sure you get your knee over the top of it and smack it hard and low so you don't pop it over the bar (the most common way to blow a chance like that is when you get too excited and get under it). He just didn't avoid the one guy on the line. I don't think he surveyed the landscape before the shot, just smacked it on frame figuring that was good enough with the keeper out.

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
At this stage, I'm riding the Jermaine Jones bandwagon until the end! Ya, Germany's counter kicks you in the teeth with consistency. Portugal didn't really generate many great chances. Germany does, and when they do, they finish (as housekeys pointed out). For example, I fear Mueller to a far, far greater extent than I do Ronaldo, player 'rankings' aside.

Chance we may not see Mueller. He suffered a pretty nasty head wound at the end of the Ghana match, and they probably can afford to sit him out unless they feel they need him in the second half (which would be good news for us).

Germany can play relatively conservatively against us and still score. Every set piece or corner is always dangerous with them. Plus, they could smack one from distance like Jones did today for us. I'll be pulling for Portugal against Ghana just for goal differential help in case we trip up (otherwise I'd pull for Ghana). If we're down 1-0 and Portugal is winning by one or two, we don't have to throw everyone forward.

Reaction Score
I'm seeing shades of 2002 all over again- that the result of the Ghana/Portugal game will determine whether the US advances.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Chance we may not see Mueller. He suffered a pretty nasty head wound at the end of the Ghana match, and they probably can afford to sit him out unless they feel they need him in the second half (which would be good news for us).

I'll be surprised if we don't see Mueller start. He's got 4 days to rest up. That was quite a shot to the head though.

Reaction Score
I, for one, am not all opposed to collusion.

Based on how good the teams are playing, I'd bet on Ghana winning. But a lot of times it's all about matchups and when you have a player like Ronaldo, who is so dangerous, I give Portugal a decent chance of preventing Ghana from getting the 3 pts.

Reaction Score
We had a couple guys down go down late - Besler and Beasley, who had to come off and go back on. Dempsey for a few moments too up near the corner flag. And you can typically figure a minute of stoppage per goal (and we had two). I figured it would be at least five - was fearing 6.

Yes, with the injuries plus two goal celebrations plus delays for a bunch of subs, it could easily have been six or more. Five was about the minimum it could have been.

Reaction Score
Germany will likely NOT play conservatively. Let's put aside for a moment the fact that they are Germany and only think one way when playing soccer. Put yourself in their shoes: you have a large goal differential on both Ghana and Portugal, to the point that even if you were to be aggressive and let a goal through from the USA, you are still through to the next round. However, you would want to secure the knockout round date with Algeria and NOT Belgium.

I don't understand. Germany only needs a tie to secure the knockout round date with Algeria. The only way they get Belgium is if they lose. So there is at least a reasonable case for not being aggressive - especially since the U.S. would also be content with a draw.

Reaction Score
Then they are playing to lose. Good for the US.

There is a HUGE difference between playing conservatively and playing to lose. Playing conservatively simply means making sure your defenders don't get caught upfield and that your mids don't push too far up. That doesn't mean they won't still have a good chance to win. It just means they want to ensure they either win or draw. Either result is the same.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't understand. Germany only needs a tie to secure the knockout round date with Algeria. The only way they get Belgium is if they lose. So there is at least a reasonable case for not being aggressive - especially since the U.S. would also be content with a draw.

Yeah, but that's assuming you could program it. Say Germany plays conservative, and the US manages to stay with them until late.....and then all of a sudden scores. For Germany, that defeat would be a catastrophe. The difference between Belgium and some of the other sides is too great for Germany not to try and win this game.

A tie gives them the group, yes, but they can't count on a tie holding up for 90 minutes. All it could take is one late US goal to ruin their World Cup. Do they really want to leave that opportunity to chance? That's why I think they'll play to win. From the perspective a team with a shot to win the WC, finishing first in this group is critical.

And on the face of it, the Germans stylistically don't generally throw caution to the wind anyway. They play a fairly disciplined style.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For those who read barstool, this is kind of funny.

Landon Donovan Reacts To Portugal’s Last Second Goal

BqxpoCuCUAAhgSw-480x640.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
What? Seriously? That was one of the single worst plays I've seen from a defender this world cup. That 'clear' was amateur hour. Just as bad as Stevie Gerrard's 'clear'. That was an assist. Not a clear. There were two defenders in position on the cross. Either could have made the play. Lack of concentration. Two awful breakdowns by US defense costs them a chance to go through.

Yes it sucked. Tim Howard falling down didn't help either. That was very poor goalie play as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
stamfordhusky said:
Germany automatically wins the group with a draw. They will likely play conservatively.

Germany never plays conservatively. It isn't in their nature. The USA needs to score and attack as they did against Portugal. Score two goals, even in defeat, and it is all but impossible not to advance.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Gurleyman said:
We had a couple guys down go down late - Besler and Beasley, who had to come off and go back on. Dempsey for a few moments too up near the corner flag. And you can typically figure a minute of stoppage per goal (and we had two). I figured it would be at least five - was fearing 6.

And Beasley was faking.

Reaction Score
Germany will likely NOT play conservatively. Let's put aside for a moment the fact that they are Germany and only think one way when playing soccer. Put yourself in their shoes: you have a large goal differential on both Ghana and Portugal, to the point that even if you were to be aggressive and let a goal through from the USA, you are still through to the next round. However, you would want to secure the knockout round date with Algeria and NOT Belgium.

My guess is that they are going to go for it, and we are going to play conservatively for at least the first 30 minutes to see if we can counter. The outcome of that first 30 minutes, along with whatever is happening in the Ghana-Portugal game at that point, will dictate the rest of the USA philosophy for the final 60 minutes...
Couldn't disagree more. If Germany and the US tie, Germany wins the group. The question to me is how aggressive does the US come out and play. Usually in a decisive game 3 where a tie advances both teams, you will net a nil-nil result. Germany will almost certainly sit back, play conservatively, and by the 70th minute, have its 3 key players on the bench resting. The wild card for once is us.

Reaction Score
Germany never plays conservatively. It isn't in their nature. The USA needs to score and attack as they did against Portugal. Score two goals, even in defeat, and it is all but impossible not to advance.
fifa changed all game 3s to play simultaneously because of what germany did in the past, playing conservatively to net a tie. by playing at the same time, the theory is that no team can mail it in. unless, of course, the two teams that are playing both advance with a tie.

Reaction Score
djct1999 said:
fifa changed all game 3s to play simultaneously because of what germany did in the past, playing conservatively to net a tie. by playing at the same time, the theory is that no team can mail it in.
Yes, it was a past Germany vs Austria World Cup match up in which both advanced with a tie. Now, everybody and their grandmother has a mobile phone and Klose also wants that additional World Cup goal. Miroslav won't be playing for a tie.

Reaction Score
Yes, it was a past Germany vs Austria World Cup match up in which both advanced with a tie. Now, everybody and their grandmother has a mobile phone and Klose also wants that additional World Cup goal. Miroslav won't be playing for a tie.

Small nitpick but actually they both advanced with a 1-0 West Germany win. Once they got the goal they just kicked it around

Reaction Score
So play hard now while running the risk of being eliminated or play conservative now with the chance of playing four more games and winning it all? Klose will have plenty of time to net that goal. Think about it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Talking to a German colleague right now...he skipped the work topic and went straight to the World Cup. He says they are worried, but that the Ghana game was a wake up call for the German team. So they won't be complacent or take us lightly.

I told him Klose worries me, as he is so good at converting crosses, and we have been so terrible defending them.

Reaction Score
StevieDude said:
Small nitpick but actually they both advanced with a 1-0 West Germany win. Once they got the goal they just kicked it around
thanks Stevie

Reaction Score
fifa changed all game 3s to play simultaneously because of what germany did in the past, playing conservatively to net a tie. by playing at the same time, the theory is that no team can mail it in. unless, of course, the two teams that are playing both advance with a tie.

And in this case, both teams do advance with a tie. Germany will try to win - but without taking any risks that could possibly produce a loss.

Reaction Score
And in this case, both teams do advance with a tie. Germany will try to win - but without taking any risks that could possibly produce a loss.
Yes, Germany wins the group with a tie!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yes it sucked. Tim Howard falling down didn't help either. That was very poor goalie play as well.

I agree that Timmy played that one poorly and am sure he'd want to have it back. That said, you can't hang a goalie out to dry more than that; tough spot to be in. Plus, he absolutely saved our bacon later on.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree that Timmy played that one poorly and am sure he'd want to have it back. That said, you can't hang a goalie out to dry more than that; tough spot to be in. Plus, he absolutely saved our bacon later on.

Not complaining about his overall performance...just saying that after the horrible header failed to clear, he was in the right position to make a save, but fell down (may have slipped). Kudos to him for his positioning on that actually.

It just points to a lucky point for Portugal. I though the U.S. had the run of play throughout the match, and Portugal was very lucky Bradley didn't score on his mostly open net. It could have easily been a 3-0 U.S. win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom