OT: World Cup | Page 25 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Spain's great generation peetering out and England looking untalented (which they are) has people thinking too much about Europe.

Germany and Holland have performed well, and I think Belgium is actually coming on. France looks dangerous. Though Italy is a huge question mark.

When you look at the backdrop, it should not surprise that England has underwhelmned. Spain had to go through this sooner or later. It happened to France several years ago--same thing.

As for the USA, I love the way they are playing, though I'd personally put Claudio Reyna's South Korean edition as the top US squad I've ever seen. This one may come very close if the core stays together another 4 years.

It comes and goes across Europe. I seem to see youth being served over experience in most cases. England's young players looked great. France is young. Belgium is young. Spain pulled it together last time, with monumental talent, but before that I always viewed Spain and Holland as teases, with talented teams that never played to capability. Portugal as well. Italy and Germany always seem to play better than the sum of their parts, and when they have very good parts, they are very, very tough.

But I think the level of play in places like Costa Rica, Columbia and Chile is opening some eyes. It isn't just Brazil and Argentina. CONCACAF on the whole is looking impressive as well. Meanwhile the Asian sides and most of the African sides don't look great.

Reaction Score
It comes and goes across Europe. I seem to see youth being served over experience in most cases. England's young players looked great. France is young. Belgium is young. Spain pulled it together last time, with monumental talent, but before that I always viewed Spain and Holland as teases, with talented teams that never played to capability. Portugal as well. Italy and Germany always seem to play better than the sum of their parts, and when they have very good parts, they are very, very tough.

But I think the level of play in places like Costa Rica, Columbia and Chile is opening some eyes. It isn't just Brazil and Argentina. CONCACAF on the whole is looking impressive as well. Meanwhile the Asian sides and most of the African sides don't look great.

I take your point about the ebb and flow of teams and players. Sometimes, though, a player like Reyna scuffles along and does nothing of what is expected of him, then suddenly he turns it on for the World Cup and looks like the player everyone predicted he'd be.

John O'Brien and Reyna were two huge studs that World Cup. This USA team would die to have just one of them.

Reaction Score
I take your point about the ebb and flow of teams and players. Sometimes, though, a player like Reyna scuffles along and does nothing of what is expected of him, then suddenly he turns it on for the World Cup and looks like the player everyone predicted he'd be.

John O'Brien and Reyna were two huge studs that World Cup. This USA team would die to have just one of them.

There are several players from the 2002 team I'd love to have on this roster, but none more than this guy:

Donovan%20fountain_0.jpg

Reaction Score
If history is any indication, Brazil typically gets stronger as the tournament progresses. Also, do you really want to contend with refs of a Brazil game in the knockout stages? I'd prefer to avoid that scenario if I'm the opposing team.

Ag agree on that point and Brazil has already needed help from the friendly refs to get a win against Croatia. The big question I think for them is if the team can handle the expectations that by winning the Cup, the Brazilian team will solve all of the country’s problems. I believe Brazil will have issues against Chile if they meet in the Round of 16 and a nightmare for the country would be facing Argentina in the final. If I was a tourist visiting Brazil, I would leave the country before that game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ag agree on that point and Brazil has already needed help from the friendly refs to get a win against Croatia. The big question I think for them is if the team can handle the expectations that by winning the Cup, the Brazilian team will solve all of the country’s problems. I believe Brazil will have issues against Chile if they meet in the Round of 16 and a nightmare for the country would be facing Argentina in the final. If I was a tourist visiting Brazil, I would leave the country before that game.

Argentina could def beat Brazil. They are a more complete team and their goalkeeper Romero is playing really well.

Brazil's biggest deficiency is they only have one of their typical magical players. And he's only 22 years old. That's a lot to ask for the kid. They usually have two or three stud horses to ride.

I've been loving watching the 'lesser' South American sides this World Cup: Chile and the Ticos, and even the traditionally stronger ones like Uruguay and Columbia.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I think one of the things you are seeing is the effect of quality defense. Everyone, including myself is enamored with the offensive capabilities of these sides. But as with US Football and Basketball, defense often carries the day, especially later in the tournament.

Italy and Germany almost always have stout defense. Spain did all that winning not just because of ball control, but as a result of having guys like Puyol, Pique, Ramos and Casillas bolstering their D.

This is where this USMNT keeps me up at night. It would be a tall task to argue that our back line is strong.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There are several players from the 2002 team I'd love to have on this roster, but none more than this guy:

Donovan%20fountain_0.jpg

True, but I'll be more happy to have Altidore back. I'm hoping he'll be able to go. That said, if he can only play one half at less than his normal work rate, that could hinder the US more than help. I miss Brian McBride.

I'd most rather have help on the back line though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
True, but I'll be more happy to have Altidore back. I'm hoping he'll be able to go. That said, if he can only play one half at less than his normal work rate, that could hinder the US more than help. I miss Brian McBride.

I'd most rather have help on the back line though.

Yes, agreed. I don't think Donovan brings much. He'd need to be a midfielder on this team, and I don't think he plays defense with enough intensity. McBride was a weapon on every cross or corner...a poor man's version of Klose.

On D I think we just lack experience other than Cameron...guys like Brooks and Yedlin are possibly more talented than any defenders we've had. I think Fabian Johnson has been playing very well in wing defense.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yes, agreed. I don't think Donovan brings much. He'd need to be a midfielder on this team, and I don't think he plays defense with enough intensity. McBride was a weapon on every cross or corner...a poor man's version of Klose.

On D I think we just lack experience other than Cameron...guys like Brooks and Yedlin are possibly more talented than any defenders we've had. I think Fabian Johnson has been playing very well in wing defense.

Johnson played really well on both ends of the pitch last game. Dangerous on offense but still back on D.

Odd that it's Cameron with the experience, given that he was in on two of their goals.

Reaction Score

I don't think the forward position is one that we need help with, so although I'm a huge McBride fan, Donovan brings much more to the positions of the field I feel we are having trouble with and that is the midfield.

Mistakes are going to happen and Cameron's flub was a big one, but I thought the defense played pretty damn well yesterday. One goal was a horrible (and rare) mistake and the other was in the 95th minute when the midfield decided the game was already over. Not a horrible defensive showing.

What Donovan does that neither Zusi or Bedoya (and now apparently Bradley) can do is hold onto the ball and he makes lightning quick decisions.

I'm not going down the 'we need Donovan' road here, but can any of you remember Bedoya at all yesterday? Bradley looked like he had to take a 10lb dump, and I can recall Zusi, great assist aside, losing the ball many times in the center of the field that led to counterattacks.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't think the forward position is one that we need help with, so although I'm a huge McBride fan, Donovan brings much more to the positions of the field I feel we are having trouble with and that is the midfield.

Mistakes are going to happen and Cameron's flub was a big one, but I thought the defense played pretty damn well yesterday. One goal was a horrible (and rare) mistake and the other was in the 95th minute when the midfield decided the game was already over. Not a horrible defensive showing.

What Donovan does that neither Zusi or Bedoya (and now apparently Bradley) can do is hold onto the ball and he makes lightning quick decisions.

I'm not going down the 'we need Donovan' road here, but can any of you remember Bedoya at all yesterday? Bradley looked like he had to take a 10lb dump, and I can recall Zusi, great assist aside, losing the ball many times in the center of the field that led to counterattacks.

Bedoya was a no-show. I thought Bradley was excellent in the first half, looked fatigued in the second. Zusi was also strong in the first half and then became mistake prone. Agree Donovan is a better holder of the ball, but he also vanishes completely on the defensive end. Jones has been amazing because he's been constantly getting forward and yet also constantly saving our bacon on D.

In this five midfielder lineup, I like the idea of Donovan more. I'd plug him in up top for Bradley, move Bradley back and bounce Beckerman. I would not want Donovan at striker with Dempsey.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Welp, Brazil v. Chile should be a lot of fun.

My uncle, aunt, and cousins from India have tickets to that match. So jealous.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
JK has proved very lucky in his roster selections and still shows how poor some of them were. No one had Brooks and Yedlin making such meaningful contributions, though I'd say the US pool had about 5 guys who could have made that header, but I'm not going to argue the result.

In a match, because of injury/fatigue pregame and during the game, that called out for a left mid, right mid, attacking center mid, forward, second forward, both in the starting lineup and as subs, it's not hard to see Donovan should have been on this squad.

It's clear, JK doesn't trust Mix, Green, Davis at this level and barely trusts AJ, Wondo, Chandler. You will see Green against Germany even as a last minute cameo to cap tie him to the US. Techically, he could still play for Germany in 2018.

The use of Gonzo ad the 5th defensive back has now burned him twice. If anything this team needs more midfielders to shield the mistake prone back line. Best to try to keep the opponents away from them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Bedoya was a no-show. I thought Bradley was excellent in the first half, looked fatigued in the second. Zusi was also strong in the first half and then became mistake prone. Agree Donovan is a better holder of the ball, but he also vanishes completely on the defensive end. Jones has been amazing because he's been constantly getting forward and yet also constantly saving our bacon on D.

In this five midfielder lineup, I like the idea of Donovan more. I'd plug him in up top for Bradley, move Bradley back and bounce Beckerman. I would not want Donovan at striker with Dempsey.

Zusi got tired because his work rate was so high imo.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

While I don't disagree with the overall idea, the thought of Bradley any further back terrifies me. I don't think he even bothered to pay attention on D yesterday, never mind put forth the effort to play some.

Zusi got tired because his work rate was so high imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can tolerate most of the goofy soccer lingo, but "pitch" is at the top of the list of stupidness.

I agree, Donovan does nothing for this team right now. He'd be at best the #4 attacker after Clint, Jozy and Wondo and I agree his defense is a liability compared to others.

Hopefully they get through Thursday, but that last minute sure made it tougher.

Johnson played really well on both ends of the pitch last game. Dangerous on offense but still back on D.

Odd that it's Cameron with the experience, given that he was in on two of their goals.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I can tolerate most of the goofy soccer lingo, but "pitch" is at the top of the list of stupidness.

I agree, Donovan does nothing for this team right now. He'd be at best the #4 attacker after Clint, Jozy and Wondo and I agree his defense is a liability compared to others.

Hopefully they get through Thursday, but that last minute sure made it tougher.

You say "pitch" in soccer the way you say "court" in basketball, "rink" in hockey, or "diamond" in baseball. It's called a pitch because the field is generally not flat. It's sloped from the center out to the sides, ostensibly for drainage. And why wouldn't soccer have it's own language anyway? Every other sport does.

Donovan is a 10x better than Wondo right now. Don't hate Wondo at all, but he's not starting either, so there's no reason your couldn't bring LD on.

Reaction Score
I call it a "Soccer field."

What the hell is a "set piece?"

You say "pitch" in soccer the way you say "court" in basketball, "rink" in hockey, or "diamond" in baseball. It's called a pitch because the field is generally not flat. It's sloped from the center out to the sides, ostensibly for drainage.

And why wouldn't soccer have it's own language? Every other sport does.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I call it a "Soccer field."

What the hell is a "set piece?"

That's fine, but most of the world doesn't even use the term "soccer".

I'm sure the 'set piece' comment was rhetorical, but just in case, it's an umbrella term for all stopped play kicks (both free and corner) with an opportunity on goal. You work on plays (movement from all players) prior to and just after the kick to try and spring your guys or put them in the best position to score (directly or rebound).

There are also tactics for defending set pieces as well.

Reaction Score
Ok, thanks. I've heard it used where it seemed to describe a play and others times as a formation. I guess it has elements of both of those.

I'm sure the 'set piece' comment was rhetorical, but just in case, it's an umbrella term for all stopped play kicks (both free and corner) with an opportunity on goal. You work on plays (movement from all players) prior to and just after the kick to try and spring your guys or put them in the best position to score (directly or rebound).

Reaction Score

At this level how much direction is a coach giving from the sidelines with things like set pieces? Does he call in a play? Or is it more organic where the players set themselves up when they see an opportunity?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
At this level how much direction is a coach giving from the sidelines with things like set pieces? Does he call in a play? Or is it more organic where the players set themselves up when they see an opportunity?

They work it all out in training beforehand, where the manager has his input. The players make the call on the field (although it's usually just a quick discussion between two or three players). Generally the best shooter decides if he wants an attempt on goal. If not, the guy who gives the best service (cross) of the ball will take it. Though it's often the same player.

You'll see teams do multiple run ups and step overs of the ball before the shot. This is to keep the goalie and the defense off balance. The goalie isn't ever fooled, but it can keep him flat footed and throw off his timing.

The players off the ball know their roles and what they have to do based on where the kick is coming from.

Reaction Score
JK has proved very lucky in his roster selections and still shows how poor some of them were. No one had Brooks and Yedlin making such meaningful contributions, though I'd say the US pool had about 5 guys who could have made that header, but I'm not going to argue the result.

In a match, because of injury/fatigue pregame and during the game, that called out for a left mid, right mid, attacking center mid, forward, second forward, both in the starting lineup and as subs, it's not hard to see Donovan should have been on this squad.

It's clear, JK doesn't trust Mix, Green, Davis at this level and barely trusts AJ, Wondo, Chandler. You will see Green against Germany even as a last minute cameo to cap tie him to the US. Techically, he could still play for Germany in 2018.

The use of Gonzo ad the 5th defensive back has now burned him twice. If anything this team needs more midfielders to shield the mistake prone back line. Best to try to keep the opponents away from them.

I am only backseat driver who coaches U8 teams and played in high schools, so I know nothing and also have the benefit of hindsight, that said, if I was the coach and could make changes now, this is what I would d.

• Landon Donovan would be on the team as a critical creative/offensive reserve player who can play up front as a ‘need to get a goal’ striker or as a creative midfield on the wings or the middle in case that injuries/card mount. I would drop Brad Davis for him as it does not appear to that Davis will see the pitch at all this Cup, which is a waste of space. Zusi can handle the set pieces
  • I can see ‘wasting’ space on Julian Green as a nod to 2018 and hope that, if needed, he can add a spark to the team in the right spot.
  • Jozy’s injury made me realize that the US does not have anyone on the squad to be that physical, holding striker and Jozy takes a pounding every game. Thus, as Johansson adds speed and ball control, I would drop Wondolowski for Eddie Johnson (head case and all) or Terrence Boyd (not as experienced, less of a head case). I like Wondo; but, his nose for the goal can be replaced by Donovan, who offers more as a player.
  • I was not impressed at all with Tim Chanlder in the warm-ups and would prefer to have the experience and flexibility that Parkhurst offers. Chandler seems to be another player that may never see the pitch this Cup and the US can only afford 1 2018 roster spot on the 2014 team.
  • I initially wanted someone else, maybe Feilhaber or Corona as an extra midfielder to replace Yedlin; but, I no longer feel that way. Watching Yedlin run an exhausted Portugal team ragged with his speed and drive has made a believer out of me in that he a role to place on this year’s team. If he develops, having Yeldin and Johnson, who has been the 4th best player this Cup so far (Howard, Jones, Dempsey?) playing the edge defenders and pushing up on offense for the US beyond 2014 makes me smile.
  • Also on defense, initially I would have taken Goodson and his experience over Omar as one of the extra center backs, who always run into card issues, accepting that Brooks was the ‘development’ roster spot. After the first two games, I still feel that way; but, Goodson or Brooks would start for me in game 3 as Cameron surprisingly poor (Bradley’s performance has been more surprising; but, the US has no one the replace Bradley). Omar does nothing for me.

As this is not going to happen, I will go to the bar in Hoboken on Tuesday grateful that the US has 4 points and not 0 and route for the USA to advance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24