OT: World Cup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Spain Holland game is going to be a good one today. I can see Holland giving Spain a run for their money or even winning

You just never know what you're going to get with the Netherlands. They are a top team, but they could lose their heads and go 0-3 in the group or they could beat Spain, take their group and go on a deep run. Neither would surprise me at all.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The flopping is ridiculous.

No one in the history of the world has fallen down while throwing the arms in the air and their legs straight out behind them. They all become ethnic versions of Greg Paulus out there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Yeah, the flopping sucks. But you have that chicken comment reversed. In football, you can go from playing pick-up hoop games in Guyer Gym to the NFL in 5 years. In soccer, you ain't going anywhere unless you start playing very young.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love soccer but I can't stand the somersault into pounding the ground and holding your shin in apparent agony then the miraculous recovery for the free kick.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah, the flopping sucks. But you have that chicken comment reversed. In football, you can go from playing pick-up hoop games in Guyer Gym to the NFL in 5 years. In soccer, you ain't going anywhere unless you start playing very young.

Or a college wrestler or a professional weightlifter or a soccer player or a rugby player or a bunch of other things. If you are athletics, big and relatively smart, you can picku p the game at certain positions (obv not QB).

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
But it's cool when lebron does it? Or kemba and shabazz? It's selling the play to get the call. You do what you can to get the advantage. If it backfires then it's a no call or a yellow card. Yeah that flop fred took yesterday to get the pk was bad but he took a risk and got the call to put his team in the position to take the lead. Also when you watch anything in slow motion it looks awful. All soccer players I know are good at other sports. You take someone fr football or any other sport and watch them struggle playing soccer

Reaction Score
I didn't expect this!

Spain did lose their first game four years ago, but this is a blowout!

Reaction Score
I didn't expect this!

Spain did lose their first game four years ago, but this is a blowout!

This is the biggest ass whipping I have seen a defending champion take since, well, last night.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This is the biggest ass whipping I have seen a defending champion take since, well, last night.

Yep, largest loss by a defending world cup champion ever.

Reaction Score
Bold Prediction: The Aussies come out of nowhere and win the whole thing and Cahill wins the golden boot! You heard it here first! Btw the Australia-Chile game is about to kickoff.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But it's cool when lebron does it? Or kemba and shabazz? It's selling the play to get the call. You do what you can to get the advantage. If it backfires then it's a no call or a yellow card. Yeah that flop fred took yesterday to get the pk was bad but he took a risk and got the call to put his team in the position to take the lead. Also when you watch anything in slow motion it looks awful. All soccer players I know are good at other sports. You take someone fr football or any other sport and watch them struggle playing soccer

I would love it if they instituted video review of all penalties in the box (resulting in a PK) to determine if it was valid.

As someone recently said, it's like drawing a charge and then shooting a free throw worth 25 points in basketball.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I would love it if they instituted video review of all penalties in the box (resulting in a PK) to determine if it was valid.

As someone recently said, it's like drawing a charge and then shooting a free throw worth 25 points in basketball.
im against replay, the reason soccer is great is because of the flow... for 45+ minutes each half it flows, no tv timeouts or anything of the sort... I think the refs need to work better together to figure it out you can't make any thing perfect, human error is part of the game... I do like that they give players yellow cards for diving now

Reaction Score
im against replay, the reason soccer is great is because of the flow... for 45+ minutes each half it flows, no tv timeouts or anything of the sort... I think the refs need to work better together to figure it out you can't make any thing perfect, human error is part of the game... I do like that they give players yellow cards for diving now
I agree that the flow is great in soccer, and I also agree that their should be some legitimate communication between the ref and line judges to try and get calls right like they do in other major sports-they get together in football, basketball, and hockey all the time....occasional disruptions in flow are needed to get calls right sometimes. I would happily give up some of the flow in soccer if it meant more legitimate reffing was taking place. Hockey does this frequently and they still maintain great game flow.

The problem in my view with the way soccer currently plays out is that an OBSCENE amount of calls are blown, and dives are rewarded, because they need another referee on the field so the ONE ref isn't always like 30 yards behind the action that he needs to be seeing to make the right calls (and NON-calls) at the right time. For purists that don't like replay, I think adding a 2nd ref should be a "tolerable" compromise...the fact that goals/non-goals over the goal line are missed, and ridiculously bad dives are rewarded is a reflection of the fact that too much is asked of the one ref on the field. AT LEAST get some real discussions with line judges for a little help on calls that the ref simply is out of position to make.

Soccer does itself a huge disservice with trying to officiate that much field with one whistle. I get the whole "remove the officiating from the game" concept, but it is too much of a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom