OT: World Cup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UCONNfan1

One of the best goals I've ever seen. Especially appreciate the line for offisides at the time the ball was kicked. The Spanish defender definitely fell asleep because he was beaten by about 8 feet in 1 second. Great game if you are a Dutch fan!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The flopping is ridiculous.

No one in the history of the world has fallen down while throwing the arms in the air and their legs straight out behind them. They all become ethnic versions of Greg Paulus out there.
It's also easy to fix if FIFA cared. If the training staff has to come out to treat you, you have to go off the field for two minutes for them to check you out. If you have to be carried off on a stretcher, you have to stay on the sidelines for 10 minutes while the medical staff does a thorough evaluation. Or you can be subbed for.

Reaction Score
The one thing I'd like to see is that a goal be certified by the booth, at the very least for offsides. They get the replay with the offsides line ready so quickly, they could check it by the time the celebration is done. That would also allow the linesmen to be conservative with the flag - giving the benefit of doubt to playing on. It can be so difficult to judge with all the moving parts as to whether someone has a shoulder in front of someone else at the exact moment the ball is played, and knowing that you have the video review would make it less of a life and death decision to keep the flag down.

Fouls are judgment calls are tough to go to a booth for - the NFL and NBA don't even do that. Perhaps you could also wave off a goal in the booth for a hand ball if it's contested, but even that could take a few different angles if it is inconclusive and slow the game's flow down a bit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know some Dutchmen here in the states who needed some orange to remind them of home. So they went to Hooters for the ambiance and color coordination.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Only in soccer can you sit there for 3 hours to see a 0-0 tie and people claim it was a great game. To attract the american viewer they will need to make some changes to the off side rule and possibly make the field smaller... game is just too boring compared to the 4 major sports here. Its a joke the people in the us dont even watch the games but claim to root for the country their great grandfather was from instead of their own country.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only in soccer can you sit there for 3 hours to see a 0-0 tie and people claim it was a great game. To attract the american viewer they will need to make some changes to the off side rule and possibly make the field smaller... game is just too boring compared to the 4 major sports here.

Which game finished 0-0?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know some Dutchmen here in the states who needed some orange to remind them of home. So they went to Hooters for the ambiance and color coordination.

Speaking of Hooters, did you catch the (male) Orange fan in the stands wearing the enormous fake (I assume) breasts under his shirts for some reason? He made the crowds shots a couple of times.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
im against replay, the reason soccer is great is because of the flow... for 45+ minutes each half it flows, no tv timeouts or anything of the sort... I think the refs need to work better together to figure it out you can't make any thing perfect, human error is part of the game... I do like that they give players yellow cards for diving now

But the point is, the game stops for a while on a penalty shot anyway (and the replay is only in that specific instance). So just review it in the interim. It literally takes 1 minutes to review. The reality is that somehow, that Brazil penalty needs to be overruled.

I don't think in general, just on penalty shots. Goals are too critical in soccer. The refs have decided one game already and almost did another (mexico). With replay, I don't want dives or freekicks or cards or whatever reviewed, just penalty shots.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Which game finished 0-0?
Ok 1-1 or 1-0 or 2-1 but theres tons of subjectivity on the goals wether they were offsides or there was a penalty etc. The games rules just plain suck. I will never watch the sport. Its a terrible spectator sport. I do respect the enthusiasm the fans in europe and south america have for their team though.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Speaking of Hooters, did you catch the (male) Orange fan in the stands wearing the enormous fake (I assume) breasts under his shirts for some reason? He made the crowds shots a couple of times.

No and I am now certain that it was a good thing that I listened to the game on my way in to work this afternoon.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
That is an obscene goal on so many levels. From the ball, to the run, to the diving header (resisting the natural urge to bring that ball down), to style of header itself--a chip shot just over the goalie and just under the cross bar.

That is one of the best goals I've seen. Straight out of EA FIFA.

I don't think he resisted the natural urge. I think he faked he was bringing the ball down to his feet. The keeper bit (as did I) and transferred his weight to his front foot anticipating going to ground and Van Persie sent it over while he was flat footed. The genius was to show the natural move and have the skill to do both sell it and skip it. Creativity and brilliance in about 2 seconds. My read anyway. Watch his hands flare out like he is softening his chest to drop it to the feet. The equivalent of a look away in our game.

Reaction Score
UcannUconn said:
Only in soccer can you sit there for 3 hours to see a 0-0 tie and people claim it was a great game. To attract the american viewer they will need to make some changes to the off side rule and possibly make the field smaller... game is just too boring compared to the 4 major sports here. Its a joke the people in the us dont even watch the games but claim to root for the country their great grandfather was from instead of their own country.

And yet you take the time to post your completely unoriginal opinion in this thread.

Go back to defending Donald Sterling.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
but watching 3 hours of baseball at 0-0 is better or 3 hours of football when a play lasts for 6 seconds for negative yards and the final score is 9-6 is better... and thats why the game is great is because it's not americanized, they tried that with the way the mls took their pks years ago, they do it with the playoff format which is not like how the rest of the world does it... the offside rule is great as is the size of the field... stop wanting it to be like the xfl

Reaction Score
UcannUconn said:

Recognizing MLS play is experiencing ongoing improvement and the league attracts the 7th or 8th hughest paid attendance of any league globally, and the US has rising TV ratings for international matches, non-US leagues, and MLS games alike (in English and Spanish), facts simply do not support your perspective. Not liking soccer is OK, and exaggerated NBA-ish/ Duke-ish flopping is rubbish, but shrinking the field is simply ridiculous with absolutely no sound reasoning, the offside rules are fine when called appropriately (similar to good versus bad refereeing in other major sports), etc. It's really OK some people who dislike the sport will always find fault, but getting the facts straight really enhances an opinion. Otherwise, it opens opportunities for comparison with the likes of Ken Krayeske.

Finding baseball or NBA hoops painfully boring does not stop many people, including Yanks, from enjoying the positives of soccer any different than some appreciate a 1-0 pitchers' duo, a low-scoring hockey game, or 7-3 gridiron football games. Similarly, some people enjoy minimal defense NBA games.

Some soccer games suck, but for those with a fair amount of knowledge even a low or no scoring games can be highly entertaining. That doesn't mean everyone will enjoy the sport more or less than everyone will enjoy jazz, classical, rap, or country western music; Turkish, Brazilian, Sichuan, or South African food, red, white, rose, or rice wine, etc. Differing tastes, factual information, and getting the facts straight, are still helpful in any subjective interpretation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fifa is to blame for diving..full stop.

If the players knew that they could face a 3 game ban for diving in the box, they would not do it. Right now, the risk/ reward of diving is so skewed, it begs for players to do it.

Win the match for my country/club or a yellow card?

Fifa uses video technology post match on all red cards to determine a 1 match- 3 match ban. They could do the same for all pks given in the box.

And a note to refs..if a player rolls around 125489631225478 times...he isn't really hurt....just walk over to him on roll number ,say 8 or 9 and give him the yellow for unsportsmanlike behavior...the would stop too.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Fifa is to blame for diving..full stop.

If the players knew that they could face a 3 game ban for diving in the box, they would not do it. Right now, the risk/ reward of diving is so skewed, it begs for players to do it.

Win the match for my country/club or a yellow card?

Fifa uses video technology post match on all red cards to determine a 1 match- 3 match ban. They could do the same for all pks given in the box.

And a note to refs..if a player rolls around 125489631225478 times...he isn't really hurt....just walk over to him on roll number ,say 8 or 9 and give him the yellow for unsportsmanlike behavior...the would stop too.
thats a much better idea for the diving than stopping and doing replay during the game... will players still do it, of course but not as many and once that player gets a ban the others will notice... the slow motion replay makes things seem a lot worse than they are

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Its a terrible spectator sport.

It's a great spectator sport. It hasn't succumbed to TV timeouts. You get 90+ minutes of play in less than 2 hours. As opposed to football and baseball where it takes over 3 hours to get about 11 minutes of action. It's your loss. If you enjoyed soccer you would be having a great month.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's a great spectator sport. It hasn't succumbed to TV timeouts. You get 90+ minutes of play in less than 2 hours. As opposed to football and baseball where it takes over 3 hours to get about 11 minutes of action. It's your loss. If you enjoyed soccer you would be having a great month.

Reaction Score
The American referee in this Greece-Colombia match has done a great job ignoring dives. If more referees call games like that, it'll help. It looked like Greece was legitimately clipped (slightly) outside the box around the 60th minute, but after all the embellishment, he didn't give it. And the Greek forward gave up an opportunity by falling down.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The American referee in this Greece-Colombia match has done a great job ignoring dives. If more referees call games like that, it'll help. It looked like Greece was legitimately clipped (slightly) outside the box around the 60th minute, but after all the embellishment, he didn't give it. And the Greek forward gave up an opportunity by falling down.
up until the second goal i felt Greece was the better team, Columbia had some moments but Greece was the most consistent and created more chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom