OT: Work Place Irritations | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Work Place Irritations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
HR suffers from the condition affecting many support functions -- the need to justify their existence to senior management. That's why you see so many HR structures with "business partners" now. There's a fine line to walk between effectively supporting the team (which requires us to know what's going on and what each function does) and stepping on the toes of management.

On the legal side, if you're only getting involved when there's an issue/problem, then you're not doing your job. The entire point of in-house legal is to be preventative (in the sense that you advise on risk, not that you say "you can't do that"). If you only address problems once they become problems, you're not doing anything an outside lawyer can't do. That means meeting with and advising employees at all levels.

In other words, the best run HR department is when most employees ask why HR exists. When things are running smoothly and compliance is the norm, HR is doing their job proactively.

Reaction Score
Lets be clear about a couple things here.

1) I can be a jerk. lol.
2) Unless you are in IT, IT is the bad guy at your company. Everyone hates us. Its a thankless job, which causes #1. We are blamed for everything on an end user level. Even if (and usually especially if) its a PEBKAC issue. And forget the end user level, we are cursed at the executive level too because the bean counters see IT as a necessary evil. We are a black hole. It costs money for us to run things right, but no one wants to pay for it because IT infrastructure doesnt generate revenue.
3) In regards to being the gatekeeper. Its my ass on the line. equipment" the question is "Why cant you keep the network secure" . The Department of Defense gets hacked. THe CIA gets hacked. But Im supposed to have DoD security on my IT budget?

Listen guys. The next time you walk by your IT guy, give him a hug. It's a brutal world.

PREACH ON @August_West

From a fellow IT brother/Sys Admin.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

On the legal side, if you're only getting involved when there's an issue/problem, then you're not doing your job. The entire point of in-house legal is to be preventative (in the sense that you advise on risk, not that you say "you can't do that"). If you only address problems once they become problems, you're not doing anything an outside lawyer can't do. That means meeting with and advising employees at all levels.

Agreed on that. My role also involves supporting the sales function and negotiating agreements, along with various compliance matters. We are actually a pretty well liked department, with a history of putting in significant effort to help close business. I understand that this isn't the case in every organization. Building trust is critical in driving proactive measures.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

1) I can be a jerk. lol.
2) Unless you are in IT, IT is the bad guy at your company. Everyone hates us. Its a thankless job, which causes #1. We are blamed for everything on an end user level. Even if (and usually especially if) its a PEBKAC issue. And forget the end user level, we are cursed at the executive level too because the bean counters see IT as a necessary evil. We are a black hole. It costs money for us to run things right, but no one wants to pay for it because IT infrastructure doesnt generate revenue.
3) In regards to being the gatekeeper. Its my ass on the line. At the company I work at the unspoken policy is to give the end user enough internet access rope to hang themselves with. I dont spy on users, I dont provide internet history reports unsolicited (and only 2 have been solicited in the last 11 years). I dont care what you do. I am not your supervisor who is worried about worker productivity. Thats not my job. That is the respective department supervisors job. My job is to keep the networks flowing so we can do business. If something goes wrong there the whole company shuts. We cant take electronic orders, we can't ship the orders we have, we cant bill the customers we shipped to,employees cant get paid.. etc...etc.... Its a ton of pressure. So excuse me if I get pissed when someone opens an attachment while checking their home email on their work computer and introduces a virus to the network. And then the question from management isnt "Why did that user check his home email on work equipment" the question is "Why cant you keep the network secure" . The Department of Defense gets hacked. THe CIA gets hacked. But Im supposed to have DoD security on my IT budget?

Listen guys. The next time you walk by your IT guy, give him a hug. It's a brutal world.

I've got two IT's with System and Net Admin experience. They left their jobs to within the company to join my training team. Took significant pay cuts just to rid themselves of the stress and BS. Both have been working with me for a year and are extremely happy.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
So Chin et al., here is a new one from just today. I am on a conference call (I work from home) and I here this constant clicking. After several minutes of this I ask does anyone else hear that clicking? Pause, "Oh that was me - sorry" and the clicking stops. After about 30 seconds I start chuckling because I thought of this post and realized he was clipping his nails and you can hear it plain as day!

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

1) I can be a jerk. lol.
3) In regards to being the gatekeeper. Its my ass on the line. At the company I work at the unspoken policy is to give the end user enough internet access rope to hang themselves with. I dont spy on users, I dont provide internet history reports unsolicited (and only 2 have been solicited in the last 11 years). I dont care what you do. I am not your supervisor who is worried about worker productivity. Thats not my job. That is the respective department supervisors job. My job is to keep the networks flowing so we can do business. If something goes wrong there the whole company shuts. We cant take electronic orders, we can't ship the orders we have, we cant bill the customers we shipped to,employees cant get paid.. etc...etc.... Its a ton of pressure. So excuse me if I get pissed when someone opens an attachment while checking their home email on their work computer and introduces a virus to the network. And then the question from management isnt "Why did that user check his home email on work equipment" the question is "Why cant you keep the network secure" . The Department of Defense gets hacked. THe CIA gets hacked. But Im supposed to have DoD security on my IT budget?

tl/dr

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Employees who camp out in the bathroom stall and fall asleep.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Employees who camp out in the bathroom stall and fall asleep.
Saw this happen at my last job, it was unbelievable. The first hour it was funny but the 2nd hour we thought the guy might have had a heart attack on the crapper. Nope, just snoozing...

Reaction Score
As many of you were surprised to learn the other day, I teach at an elementary school. Naturally the staff is 94% women give or take. This has its advantages like when "crazy sock day" in spirit week becomes staff wearing leggings and knee socks day. However, everyday in lounge it is a new man bashing or feminist rant or whatever. Pulling up photos of shirtless dudes on their phones and ogling them. Lewd comments about students' dads. Just stuff that if it was reversed and it was a room of men and one woman they would never get away with. I know there is a big hypocritical comment in here but there is a difference between posting here and work place behavior.

Reaction Score
When people bring in lunch that smells horrible and eating it at their desks. You know it smells terrible, I know it smells terrible just be a little respectful.

People who drown themselves in perfume or cologne like they are going to the bar.
Sometimes there is a reason. I work at a company where we have to hotel in to desks so my neighbors rotate every day. If I have a particularly obnoxious neighbor, a strategically placed Indian food order is quite funny in addition to being delicious.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As many of you were surprised to learn the other day, I teach at an elementary school. Naturally the staff is 94% women give or take. This has its advantages like when "crazy sock day" in spirit week becomes staff wearing leggings and knee socks day. However, everyday in lounge it is a new man bashing or feminist rant or whatever. Pulling up photos of shirtless dudes on their phones and ogling them. Lewd comments about students' dads. Just stuff that if it was reversed and it was a room of men and one woman they would never get away with. I know there is a big hypocritical comment in here but there is a difference between posting here and work place behavior.

Just imagine what they say about you when you aren't in the room.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Alpha up man, if you're not married it sounds like you can have s smorgasbord thing happening. Lemons, Make lemonade and all that . Frickin millennials. :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So Chin et al., here is a new one from just today. I am on a conference call (I work from home) and I here this constant clicking. After several minutes of this I ask does anyone else hear that clicking? Pause, "Oh that was me - sorry" and the clicking stops. After about 30 seconds I start chuckling because I thought of this post and realized he was clipping his nails and you can hear it plain as day!

Teleconferences are a blast. People who forget how to use the mute button can make for fantastic bloopers, especially if they are on travel and using a personal cell phone vice a desk phone. We had one a few years ago where a guy was dialing in from a remote area on his cell phone. Ten minutes in to the telecom we hear "Here's you sandwich and hash browns. Do you need any creamer or ketchup?". Dude was going through the drive through and forgot to put his cell phone on mute.

Reaction Score
Alpha up man, if you're not married it sounds like you can have s smorgasbord thing happening. Lemons, Make lemonade and all that . Frickin millennials. :)
Haha well they're all married and every day it's a new argument for whose husband is the biggest up which devolves into a discussion how men are awful.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
THANKS CHIN
Haha well they're all married and every day it's a new argument for whose husband is the biggest up which devolves into a discussion how men are awful.

They all fantasize about you and how you would be the perfect husband. Because you know the stress and the work that goes in to being a teacher.

There's a dozen of them making love to their husbands tonight who are pretending it's you. You just have to figure which twelve it was tomorrow. You'll see it in their eyes.

Reaction Score
They all fantasize about you and how you would be the perfect husband. Because you know the stress and the work that goes in to being a teacher.

There's a dozen of them making love to their husbands tonight who are pretending it's you. You just have to figure which twelve it was tomorrow. You'll see it in their eyes.
b9d307b530dafc100916b5d3152eb60645063585e7ea7942745c1e858734fd7f_large

Reaction Score
I still can't get over this new trend of people naming their food. People are weird.
I just came from the break room and had a sandwich some goofball named "Brett".

(at least that is what was written on the bag)
Was "Brett" a turkey sangwiich with ketchup by any chance?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sometimes there is a reason. I work at a company where we have to hotel in to desks so my neighbors rotate every day. If I have a particularly obnoxious neighbor, a strategically placed Indian food order is quite funny in addition to being delicious.

Are you talking post consummation?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Was "Brett" a turkey sangwiich with ketchup by any chance?
Roast beef with horseradish. Delicious. I've been hoping another sandwich named Brett would appear again but alas, nothing yet.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Roast beef with horseradish. Delicious. I've been hoping another sandwich named Brett would appear again but alas, nothing yet.

I once had someone steal my roast beef and horseradish sandwich.

Next day I made it again but it wasn't horseradish on the sandwich the second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom