OT: Work Place Irritations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Work Place Irritations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When a guy throws an obvious blaster in the toilet (all over) and doesn't have the smarts to clean it up. May even be remnants on the seat at times which leads me to believe they're disgusting pigs so don't invite me to your house for a party. Just the splatter itself is enough for that though!:(

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is one I deal with both at work and at home: People leaving the last paper towel sheet without replacing the roll; same thing with the toilet paper; leaving less than an ounce in the milk, half & half and water cooler because too lazy to replace them.

Reaction Score
As a follow up to my post on this thread about bathroom weirdos our men's room is completely s___ted up to the rafters this morning. I can't even figure out how someone did it. The floor, the walls, the wall behind the toilet up to like 4 feet high. This person or people should be arrested for biological warfare.
*edited to remove a misused word given today's world events.

Reaction Score
2) Employees. I've heard every excuse twice.

The only thing worse than employees are managers, particularly the ones who have no idea how to manage.

Against my wishes, I was put in charge of HR about 14 months ago. My favorite is the manager who comes to us and says "this employee sucks and I need to fire him", when the last 4 reviews say that the employee "exceeds expectations".

Of course, a year of additional responsibility without additional pay has turned me into another office nuisance, the dude that gave his notice and doesn't give a S*!+ anymore . . .

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The issue is laziness. If the email requires a read receipt for record-keeping purposes, fine, add it. Attaching it to every email you send is lazy and inconsiderate. It takes 10 seconds to add it when its appropriate.

August is Mordac, preventer of information services . . .

Lets be clear about a couple things here.

1) I can be a jerk. lol.
2) Unless you are in IT, IT is the bad guy at your company. Everyone hates us. Its a thankless job, which causes #1. We are blamed for everything on an end user level. Even if (and usually especially if) its a PEBKAC issue. And forget the end user level, we are cursed at the executive level too because the bean counters see IT as a necessary evil. We are a black hole. It costs money for us to run things right, but no one wants to pay for it because IT infrastructure doesnt generate revenue.
3) In regards to being the gatekeeper. Its my ass on the line. At the company I work at the unspoken policy is to give the end user enough internet access rope to hang themselves with. I dont spy on users, I dont provide internet history reports unsolicited (and only 2 have been solicited in the last 11 years). I dont care what you do. I am not your supervisor who is worried about worker productivity. Thats not my job. That is the respective department supervisors job. My job is to keep the networks flowing so we can do business. If something goes wrong there the whole company shuts. We cant take electronic orders, we can't ship the orders we have, we cant bill the customers we shipped to,employees cant get paid.. etc...etc.... Its a ton of pressure. So excuse me if I get pissed when someone opens an attachment while checking their home email on their work computer and introduces a virus to the network. And then the question from management isnt "Why did that user check his home email on work equipment" the question is "Why cant you keep the network secure" . The Department of Defense gets hacked. THe CIA gets hacked. But Im supposed to have DoD security on my IT budget?

Listen guys. The next time you walk by your IT guy, give him a hug. It's a brutal world.

Reaction Score

1) I can be a jerk. lol.
2) Unless you are in IT, IT is the bad guy at your company.

Yeah, I'm legal and HR (and will be at my new employer). It's tough to figure out who is more hated by the employee base . . .

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The control freak who sucks up to the Boss, then tries to be mini-boss, micro managing everyone wether or not he/she has anything to do with thier work....I have one who's my peer and Im really starting to hate him. Going to have to have a little chat.

Every office has a brown-noser.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

1) I can be a jerk. lol.
2) Unless you are in IT, IT is the bad guy at your company. Everyone hates us. Its a thankless job, which causes #1. We are blamed for everything on an end user level. Even if (and usually especially if) its a PEBKAC issue. And forget the end user level, we are cursed at the executive level too because the bean counters see IT as a necessary evil. We are a black hole. It costs money for us to run things right, but no one wants to pay for it because IT infrastructure doesnt generate revenue.
3) In regards to being the gatekeeper. Its my ass on the line. At the company I work at the unspoken policy is to give the end user enough internet access rope to hang themselves with. I dont spy on users, I dont provide internet history reports unsolicited (and only 2 have been solicited in the last 11 years). I dont care what you do. I am not your supervisor who is worried about worker productivity. Thats not my job. That is the respective department supervisors job. My job is to keep the networks flowing so we can do business. If something goes wrong there the whole company shuts. We cant take electronic orders, we can't ship the orders we have, we cant bill the customers we shipped to,employees cant get paid.. etc...etc.... Its a ton of pressure. So excuse me if I get pissed when someone opens an attachment while checking their home email on their work computer and introduces a virus to the network. And then the question from management isnt "Why did that user check his home email on work equipment" the question is "Why cant you keep the network secure" . The Department of Defense gets hacked. THe CIA gets hacked. But Im supposed to have DoD security on my IT budget?

Listen guys. The next time you walk by your IT guy, give him a hug. It's a brutal world.

Whiny Help Desk guys (oh excuse me, Electronic Information and Communication Technician) irate me to no end.

Granted, most current college educated professionals have more than a decent working knowledge of the usual software and are far more educated than the preceding generation, but SNL develops skits off of stereotypes. Stereotype wouldn't be stereotypes unless there were at least a modicum of truth to them. If 90% of IT professionals acted with slightly less condescension of Nick Burns, there wouldn't be as much disdain for the profession.

On the other hand, end users should really recognize that spending more time in the basement than Tweeters from West Virginia hopped up on moonshine is no way to sharpen interpersonal skills. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm legal and HR (and will be at my new employer). It's tough to figure out who is more hated by the employee base . . .

Wow Ex you're both? LOL so funny it's true though. HR is more prevalent than ever in a big company like where I am and when they seem to be involved in things now which they never were before, it scares the crap out of my sales guys. They aren't used to seeing them much and now have to meet with them a couple to few times a year especially those who get in accidents or get tickets more often than they should. Used to just let it go a while now on everything in detail too. LOL and Legal at our place, I made the mistake of asking them something directly once as I knew him but he turned my into my VP in the northeast basically saying "no more PEONS contacting me directly" haha - I know you're not like that though ;)

Reaction Score
Whiny Help Desk guys (oh excuse me, Electronic Information and Communication Technician) irate me to no end.

Granted, most current college educated professionals have more than a decent working knowledge of the usual software and are far more educated than the preceding generation, but SNL develops skits off of stereotypes. Stereotype wouldn't be stereotypes unless there were at least a modicum of truth to them. If 90% of IT professionals acted with slightly less condescension of Nick Burns, there would be as much disdain for the profession.

On the other hand, end users should really recognize that spending more time in the basement than Tweeters from West Virginia hopped up on moonshine is no way to sharpen interpersonal skills. ;)

Our IT/Helpdesk SOB's think every question is like "duh" to me and the guys. Brainy little turds who only have a job because we're out there bringing in business and they continually look down on us. Funny stuff.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
nah, I hope you trip your filter and get in trouble.
I have an office and my monitors face away from the door...plus, IT is outsourced on a per instance basis. I don't need 24 hour monitoring for QuickBooks.

Reaction Score
Wow Ex you're both? LOL so funny it's true though. HR is more prevalent than ever in a big company like where I am and when they seem to be involved in things now which they never were before, it scares the crap out of my sales guys. They aren't used to seeing them much and now have to meet with them a couple to few times a year especially those who get in accidents or get tickets more often than they should. Used to just let it go a while now on everything in detail too. LOL and Legal at our place, I made the mistake of asking them something directly once as I knew him but he turned my into my VP in the northeast basically saying "no more PEONS contacting me directly" haha - I know you're not like that though ;)

HR suffers from the condition affecting many support functions -- the need to justify their existence to senior management. That's why you see so many HR structures with "business partners" now. There's a fine line to walk between effectively supporting the team (which requires us to know what's going on and what each function does) and stepping on the toes of management.

On the legal side, if you're only getting involved when there's an issue/problem, then you're not doing your job. The entire point of in-house legal is to be preventative (in the sense that you advise on risk, not that you say "you can't do that"). If you only address problems once they become problems, you're not doing anything an outside lawyer can't do. That means meeting with and advising employees at all levels.

Reaction Score
HR suffers from the condition affecting many support functions -- the need to justify their existence to senior management. That's why you see so many HR structures with "business partners" now. There's a fine line to walk between effectively supporting the team (which requires us to know what's going on and what each function does) and stepping on the toes of management.

On the legal side, if you're only getting involved when there's an issue/problem, then you're not doing your job. The entire point of in-house legal is to be preventative (in the sense that you advise on risk, not that you say "you can't do that"). If you only address problems once they become problems, you're not doing anything an outside lawyer can't do. That means meeting with and advising employees at all levels.

Bingo on both but especially HR side of things. You're a lucky guy to wear both hats. ;)

Reaction Score
How I feel when the marketing guy comes to me for "advice" but thinks he already knows the answer because he took a business law class as part of his MBA . . .

Wow marketing, another "justify our existence" to sr mgmt area of our world. LOL, there are more irritations than I thought. Hell I'm guessing me and my sales team is the same to some of these functions though. LOL

Reaction Score
You have a computer? I thought you golfed for a living!

Golf and drink right? Would be good, I do give it the best run I can mind you Deep;)

We playing this year or what? About time, will bring Barney and Rebel Yell.

Reaction Score
Golf and drink right? Would be good, I do give it the best run I can mind you Deep;)

We playing this year or what? About time, will bring Barney and Rebel Yell.

Definitely. Let's lock something up soon and try for more than once.

Reaction Score
You have a computer? I thought you golfed for a living!

He must be in sales. Bitches about everyone else, but never actually works. :)

Reminds me of another office nuisance:

The sales guy who posts his 100-mile weekday Ironman training rides to Facebook, flaunting to the world that he has an account that a drunk orangutan could sell to and only does 6 hours of actual work every week.

Reaction Score
He must be in sales. Bitches about everyone else, but never actually works. :)

Reminds me of another office nuisance:

The sales guy who posts his 100-mile weekday Ironman training rides to Facebook, flaunting to the world that he has an account that a drunk orangutan could sell to and only does 6 hours of actual work every week.

Well, he's a sales guy....but a lot more of a drunken orangutan than he is someone doing Ironman rides.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1) People who try to send conversations via text message resulting in a 27-beep barrage.

2) Employees. I've heard every excuse twice.

To expand on #1...conversations via email are no better, especially when you are needlessly on cc. I have gotten up in the morning to 30 emails exchanged by people in China and Singapore, most of which are one line back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom