OT: Who has Comcast/Xfinity | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Who has Comcast/Xfinity

Reaction Score
Yes i think so. I have preferred package now. Was told i would keep same channels i have now.
The packages have recently changed, largely in the customer’s favor. The new packages though don’t have a few grandfathered channels though like Tru Tv, Oxygen, Investigation Discovery... Comcast lost those and they’re only available if someone retains old packages.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was thinking of real solutions.

Yeah but voting with your wallet is impossible when there aren't any other options (outside of no internet or dsl).

Reaction Score
Do you not think that the cost of internet is worth it? I have about 15 devices connected to my router. Almost everything I do involves my internet connection. $100 per month for this is a bargain. Stop thinking of the days of a dial up modem and NetZero.

Reaction Score
Do you not think that the cost of internet is worth it? I have about 15 devices connected to my router. Almost everything I do involves my internet connection. $100 per month for this is a bargain. Stop thinking of the days of a dial up modem and NetZero.
Great post and to really take this a step further, I also think complete home entertainment for $200 or less per month is also a complete bargain, compared to concerts, eating out, sports events etc. Especially for families, I can’t see why people act like 30 days of unlimited internet and programming is so expensive.

I realize I have a different view than most people because I work for Comcast and get a great deal but to be able to watch all the sports I want, Netflix, movies and also run 6-8 devices unlimited, I think cable + internet is still one of the best bargains around. Any major music act now is $150 PER ticket, sporting events are in that range as well. I’m not directing this at just Boneyarders, rather at the general consensus opinion that cable and internet are a complete ripoff.

Reaction Score
Great post and to really take this a step further, I also think complete home entertainment for $200 or less per month is also a complete bargain, compared to concerts, eating out, sports events etc. Especially for families, I can’t see why people act like 30 days of unlimited internet and programming is so expensive.

I realize I have a different view than most people because I work for Comcast and get a great deal but to be able to watch all the sports I want, Netflix, movies and also run 6-8 devices unlimited, I think cable + internet is still one of the best bargains around. Any major music act now is $150 PER ticket, sporting events are in that range as well. I’m not directing this at just Boneyarders, rather at the general consensus opinion that cable and internet are a complete ripoff.

Cable can be a value at the current price and we can also be paying more for cable than other countries relative to level of service and speed. Just means that people in other countries have it even better. And if they can, why can't we?

Naturally, there are reasons why it's more expensive here. But 1 is definitely "because we can afford it at that price and we're okay paying it." Size of the country and level of infrastructure investment needed is another one.

But it would be great if there was more competition in the marketplace.

Reaction Score
The only local network I don't get is Fox 61. We get the national feed. I don't get My9 or whatever channel 11 is nowadays, either. But CBS, NBC, and ABC are all local.
Fox 61 is the New York Giants on Sundays

Reaction Score
Cable can be a value at the current price and we can also be paying more for cable than other countries relative to level of service and speed. Just means that people in other countries have it even better. And if they can, why can't we?

Naturally, there are reasons why it's more expensive here. But 1 is definitely "because we can afford it at that price and we're okay paying it." Size of the country and level of infrastructure investment needed is another one.

But it would be great if there was more competition in the marketplace.
How much more competition do you want? 3 major cell phone companies all offering some pretty good speeds, HughsNet, a cable provider and telco provider.

How many options do you have for grocery stores? Gas stations?

Where I am there is a Publix, Kroger, Ingles and Walmart. I'm outraged that I don't have more options!!!

The market allows for the price of internet to be where it is today. All of these "cord cutters" are not cutting the cord, they are pushing their means of getting TV to the internet, which requires a cord in many cases.

Reaction Score
How much more competition do you want? 3 major cell phone companies all offering some pretty good speeds, HughsNet, a cable provider and telco provider.

How many options do you have for grocery stores? Gas stations?

Where I am there is a Publix, Kroger, Ingles and Walmart. I'm outraged that I don't have more options!!!

The market allows for the price of internet to be where it is today. All of these "cord cutters" are not cutting the cord, they are pushing their means of getting TV to the internet, which requires a cord in many cases.

Unfortunately, some places only have access to 1 suitable broadband provider, period. Play around on the map. 3 would be great. And unlike those brick and mortar retail comparisons, you can't just drive further to have access. You have to literally move.

Fixed Broadband Deployment Data « FCC

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Fox 61 is the New York Giants on Sundays

Yeah that's a big problem if they don't show Giants games for most in the area. I'm a Cowboys fan so it doesn't affect me, but it would be a deal breaker if I were a Giants fan.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, some places only have access to 1 suitable broadband provider, period. Play around on the map. 3 would be great. And unlike those brick and mortar retail comparisons, you can't just drive further to have access. You have to literally move.

Fixed Broadband Deployment Data « FCC
Want good internet? Don't live in nowhereville.

I have 6 options, 2 are fiber to the home.

Reaction Score
Check out some cities. Like Boston, for example. Where there is ONLY Comcast for suitable ground broadband for much of the whole city. 1 option.
People don’t realize the enormous cost for companies to build out to an area. It can be many years before a company like Comcast meets payback so the barrier of entry is high. Also, only one cable company is allowed per town. Comcast is building out New London now, and Waterford soon after but it’s a long and expensive process. I don’t see the lack of broadband options changing much in the near future in most markets.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Want good internet? Don't live in nowhereville.

I have 6 options, 2 are fiber to the home.

And that's an option for everybody...

Would suck for you if everyone did.

I'm hopeful for services like Starry to get fully main stream. $50 unlimited internet per month, no fiber required.

Reaction Score
People don’t realize the enormous cost for companies to build out to an area. It can be many years before a company like Comcast meets payback so the barrier of entry is high. Also, only one cable company is allowed per town. Comcast is building out New London now, and Waterford soon after but it’s a long and expensive process. I don’t see the lack of broadband options changing much in the near future in most markets.

I get it. There is probably a logistical reason for the bold, but the protection from competition without public utility regulation is a bad deal.
2011 article sums it up well:
Why is European broadband faster and cheaper? Blame the government

Reaction Score
Check out some cities. Like Boston, for example. Where there is ONLY Comcast for suitable ground broadband for much of the whole city. 1 option.
Gee, Verizon is not available?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

This is why services like Starry could be a game changer. They only need a couple towers, and beam internet via laser to your house for something like $50 per month.

Reaction Score
What does suitable have anything to do with it? You can't try to build a case based on what your belief of acceptable service is. I imagine Verizon or AT&T are there in Boston.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What does suitable have anything to do with it? You can't try to build a case based on what your belief of acceptable service is. I imagine Verizon or AT&T are there in Boston.

This is exactly what we've been talking about.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty certain Fios is available in all of greater Boston. The problem with Fios is they offer super high upload speeds but their download speeds seem limited. For example, my friend has a 75/75 speed with them. That’s great for the 2% of people who actually need that type of upload speeds, but for the rest of us download is far more important, which is why Xfinity has 1 gig in a lot of areas, and eventually rolling that out in all of New England footprint.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty certain Fios is available in all of greater Boston. The problem with Fios is they offer super high upload speeds but their download speeds seem limited. For example, my friend has a 75/75 speed with them. That’s great for the 2% of people who actually need that type of upload speeds, but for the rest of us download is far more important, which is why Xfinity has 1 gig in a lot of areas, and eventually rolling that out in all of New England footprint.
Oh I get it. I work in the business. Everyone wants EVERY channel under the sun...NOONE wants to pay. Just remove a channel from the line up(Big 10 Network for example, which showed Indiana vs OSU...IN TENNIS)and the calls won't stop. When I started in the business 1 MBPS was the speed and people went nuts for it. As you(I think it was you)said, the cost of switching to a fiber network is incredible, which allows hundreds and hundreds of channels, high speeds. Remember cable companies have many more regulations as a utility than satellite companies based on local franchise agreements.

Reaction Score
Additionally, for low income families Comcast provides around 12 over 2 for 9.95 per month no installation or equipment.
Internet essentials.

Reaction Score

Not really unfortunately. You can get Verizon DSL, but not FIOS and not above 15 mbps download (and usually more like 7) in many sections of Boston. I posted the map up thread (which is only accurate as of December 2016, but I just checked the last 3 apartments I lived in around various parts of Boston and none have access to FIOS), check it out. I'm in the suburbs now and do have (and use) gigabit FIOS.

As I mentioned, Verizon is not available in many places above 15mbps DSL advertised. You can get 7 mbps for $40 (internet only). That's 1/3 the download speed of the USA fixed broadband average of 75 and obviously 150x slower than gigabit fiber. In a major city. In the USA. In 2018. On the broadband map, by default that is filtered out.

Let's just say that that level of service is not causing prices to drop due to competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom