OT - Which HBO/Max Series Next? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - Which HBO/Max Series Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't want to read through the whole thread, has anyone seen Orphan Black on BBC America? Looking to get into a new show.

It's not usually the kind of show I'm into, but after the first couple episodes I was hooked. It's very plot driven and at times can be a bit ridiculous, but it's a really engrossing story and the chick that's the lead is really talented. I don't think anyone's going to put it up there with the Sopranos or The Wire in terms of its ambition, but it's a fun show.

Reaction Score
Go back and watch Deadwood, it is the best HBO has done, not sure why they stopped it.

Absolutely criminal how they cut it short right at the climax. Best written show HBO has ever produced maybe one of the best written shows ever on any network.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Absolutely criminal how they cut it short right at the climax. Best written show HBO has ever produced maybe one of the best written shows ever on any network.

Pretty much didn't want to pay the actors is my understanding. They didn't pick up anyone's options. Then hemmed and hawed about a movie or two to finish it up. Now it's dead in the water.

Reaction Score
Don't want to read through the whole thread, has anyone seen Orphan Black on BBC America? Looking to get into a new show.

I'm an Orphan Black fan. Though it's on the BBC America channel, it's actually produced in Canada; and the story takes place in and around Toronto. It's best to watch this from the beginning episode, though, given the twisty-turny conspiracy plots, so either watch it on demand or go to the Orphan Black section of the BBC America web site.

In (really really) brief, it's about clones (all different, and all played by the same actress, who does a phenomenal job), who are trying to cope with (1) just finding out that they are clones together; (2) the "evil" Big Corporation that created them; (3) the wacked-out fringe religious group that sees them as "abominations" and is trying to kill them; and (4) the mysterious disease that is also killing the clones. Given all that -- it's very well-written, lots of humor, lots of suspense, and a lot of "wait -- what just happened?!?"

Hope that helps!

Reaction Score
Justified is great, I thought the last season was the weakest but it wasn't close to jumping the shark. Olyphant has charisma for days.

Big fan of Breaking Bad, The Wire, the first two seasons of Homeland and the first season of House of Cards. For the latter, it's just sometimes hard for me to love a show when I detest the lead character. I'm getting really tired of Game of Thrones because they keep killing all the characters I like and I think it will continue. Martin seems like he enjoys crushing his readers.

Anyone see The Americans or Hannibal and have thoughts on them?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Big fan of Breaking Bad, The Wire, the first two seasons of Homeland and the first season of House of Cards. For the latter, it's just sometimes hard for me to love a show when I detest the lead character. I'm getting really tired of Game of Thrones because they keep killing all the characters I like and I think it will continue. Martin seems like he enjoys crushing his readers.

You just like the wrong characters! And hopefully, you took some pleasure from Joffrey biting it.

I will admit, I was pissed in both the books and the show when the guy....(edit: sorry don't want to spoil)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You just like the wrong characters! And hopefully, you took some pleasure from Joffrey biting it.

I will admit, I was pissed in both the books and the show when.

I would put a spoiler alert but yea, I agree with you.

Reaction Score
It's not usually the kind of show I'm into, but after the first couple episodes I was hooked. It's very plot driven and at times can be a bit ridiculous, but it's a really engrossing story and the chick that's the lead is really talented. I don't think anyone's going to put it up there with the Sopranos or The Wire in terms of its ambition, but it's a fun show.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I would put a spoiler alert but yea, I agree with you.

. You're right. I just edited it out -> no idea how to do spoilers on here.

Reaction Score
Dislike how many HBO series have a way of going awry by the last season; jumping the shark so to say. I will say that first season of True Detective enthralling. also recently ran through the first season of 'silicon valley', not too bad although its filled with a bunch of tech jargon .

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Shameless mentioned. Absolutely awesome television on Showtime. It is unlike any family sitcom I have ever seen. William Macy is excellent, and his mother in the show is even better.

Reaction Score
I think I'm in the minority here but for me the Sopranos really didn't pick up until around midway through season 2.

Well, I'm midway through season one, and I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far. I'm excited to see where things go.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, I'm midway through season one, and I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far. I'm excited to see where things go.

Sopranos had 1 bad season. I thought the final season was its strongest.

Reaction Score
nah, you're definitely not alone on that one, something about those duck lips...

There's a chance that John Luther will be leading an intervention for all who express a desire to get involved with her in any fashion - should I hear more details I will pass along to you and superjohn - and then see you both there as I also need this help.

Reaction Score
Lots of good suggestions here, but one that I didn't see was HBO's Rome. It was only around for a couple of seasons as I read it was too expensive to produce. I really enjoyed it and thought it was great historical fiction. Plus, plenty of nudity and violence.

Reaction Score
Older HBO Series, but I really enjoyed Carnivale back in the day. Really dark and addicting. Too bad it was cut short.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Sopranos had 1 bad season. I thought the final season was its strongest.
I thought 6a was better than 6b. I dont know about strongest. They were all great.

Reaction Score
Actually came across someone saying that he hated Treme Season 1 and then came to like it better than The Wire thereafter.
Wire is on a different level, but Treme was still a very good show especially if you like music and/or have any familiarity with the area.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Dislike how many HBO series have a way of going awry by the last season; jumping the shark so to say. I will say that first season of True Detective enthralling. also recently ran through the first season of 'silicon valley', not too bad although its filled with a bunch of tech jargon .

That show is amazingly funny. Every time time Erlich speaks I laugh.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I haven't seen Shameless mentioned. Absolutely awesome television on Showtime. It is unlike any family sitcom I have ever seen. William Macy is excellent, and his mother in the show is even better.

Macy gives some of the most phenomenal monologues that I've ever seen on television. In a comedy no less.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I just started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix this week. In the last two nights Ive watched up until Season 2 Episode 7. God damn its good. So glad I still have 3 seasons left to watch. Not sure how I missed it in real time.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I just started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix this week. In the last two nights Ive watched up until Season 2 Episode 7. God damn its good. So glad I still have 3 seasons left to watch. Not sure how I missed it in real time.

It just keeps getting better. Enjoy, you are getting into the meat of that show now.

Reaction Score
The Americans is also good. I'm only through season 1 so far. I also liked Terriers, which only ran 1 season on FX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom