OT - Which HBO/Max Series Next? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Which HBO/Max Series Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poe

Reaction Score
Entourage is dumb as hell, but I had a LOT of fun watching it.
Agreed. First few seasons were pretty entertaining, last few were not very good.

Reaction Score
Curious to know from among the many fans of "The Wire" ...
What's your opinion of David Simon's followup HBO "Treme" about post-Katrina New Orleans?
Awful, terrible, horrible.....couldn't even get through one season. I am sure some people liked it though....

Reaction Score
another "Luther" co-sign here, if you want something short that you can breeze through quickly that's a good option. British TV shows have short seasons and the last 2 seasons kind of flow like an extended movie.

I loved Luther but it's depressing as ____. Last season of Justified was pretty good. Not as good as the season before but still better than most of the stuff on TV.

Reaction Score
I adored The Wire, and I'm just getting into The Sopranos now. I couldn't do Game of Thrones, though. All the mutilation and torture and rape made me a little squeamish.

I think I'm in the minority here but for me the Sopranos really didn't pick up until around midway through season 2.

Reaction Score
Luther is an awesome show, there is going to be a movie and there has been talk of a spinoff starring Alice Morgan.

The scriptwriter(s) responsible for the creation of the character Alice Morgan truly need serious psychotherapy - just reading her name in your post sent a chill up my spine. A spinoff would make the movie Psycho look like Mary Poppins.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think I'm in the minority here but for me the Sopranos really didn't pick up until around midway through season 2.
So many people I know like the 1st 2 seasons of Sopranos so much more than laters. I loved them all. Season 6b might have been the weakest. Soprano's is really interesting in that they were better at different things in different seasons. Season 1 was so much about the Tony/Melfi dynamic. It was great. Not as pure mob oriented. Season 5 was way mob oriented and equally good for way different reasons.
I thought from season 4 on, it was more geared toward some amazing pure acting performances (see Edie Falco in Season 4 closer "whitecaps"). I thought Long term parking in season 5 where Ade gets whacked was a powerful episode.

Reaction Score
The Sopranos is still the GOAT for me. I loved the Wire as well, I thought the Sopranos was just a little better.

Reaction Score
The scriptwriter(s) responsible for the creation of the character Alice Morgan truly need serious psychotherapy - just reading her name in your post sent a chill up my spine. A spinoff would make the movie Psycho look like Mary Poppins.
Yeah but I still found myself wanting to screw her, guess I'm a little twisted.

Reaction Score
Yeah but I still found myself wanting to screw her, guess I'm a little twisted.

nah, you're definitely not alone on that one, something about those duck lips...

Reaction Score
The Wire, True Detective, Curb Your Enthusiasm, first season of Homeland, first season of Boss on Starz.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sons of Anarchy, The Shield, Luther, and Suits are all good shows that have not been mentioned. New shows Ray Donovan and Graceland have shown promise. Homeland was amazing the first season, solid the second season, and then fell off a cliff the third season.

I like SOA, but man, not a single person can shoot worth damn in that show. It's comical. Also, Jax shouldn't even bother planning anything ahead whatsoever, because whatever he does gets automatically duckcked up in the worst way possible.

Reaction Score
Read this book, it will give you some insight on some of the shows mentioned here.

51uypATv5dL.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Many of them do. That often makes for a good writer.

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Entourage is dumb as hell, but I had a LOT of fun watching it.
Sounds like True Blood - really stupid with tons of holes - but fun none the less.

Reaction Score
Don't want to read through the whole thread, has anyone seen Orphan Black on BBC America? Looking to get into a new show.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sounds like True Blood - really stupid with tons of holes - but fun none the less.

Once the 'fairies' storyline came into the picture, I lost 97.3% of my interest. Yes, I'll finish, but that's just because that is what I do.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Once the 'fairies' storyline came into the picture, I lost 97.3% of my interest. Yes, I'll finish, but that's just because that is what I do.
I didn't mind the fairies storyline nearly as much as the shaking woman that made people have orgies - that was just some horrific writing, filming and acting.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I didn't mind the fairies storyline nearly as much as the shaking woman that made people have orgies - that was just some horrific writing, filming and acting.

Not a fan of the orgies, jleves? I gotta say, that particular part didn't bother me too much!

Although, the things you mentioned were brutal. I particularly despised that Eggs character. Got under my skin in a big way for some reason.

Reaction Score
I'm caught up on Game of Thrones (best thing ever on the small screen) and True Blood. I've watched all the Sopranos. Which of the cable network series should I start on next? I've watched zero of anything else out there (Dexter/Veep, etc.) I do get all the paid networks so I should be able to get anything On Demand.

Not sure if anyone posted this, but if you enjoy true blood then Spartacus is right up your alley (I.E the sex and blood content is very similar in both shows)

Other than that I'm going to agree with a couple other people said here.

**Not in Order or Scored in any way***
  1. Vikings (I watched every episode so far)
  2. House of Cards (heard great things)
  3. Walking Dead (again heard great things)
  4. Dexter (last couple of seasons quality dropped a little but fist couple of seasons were amazing)
  5. Veep (is more episodic (for the most part in my opinion anyways) and a comedy I actually watched the first couple of seasons it was entertaining but not really going to give you the same feeling as a game of thrones)
  6. Breaking Bad (watched some episodes was good some people swear by it)
  7. True Detective (Some people love it, others not so much. Seen like 7-8 episodes I thought it was pretty good. Stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew Mcconaughey)

Well that is my list anyways, should be a decent start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom