OT: Weight training workout | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Weight training workout

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not reading all of this because most of you are what Rick Rude would have called "fat, out of shape, Hartford heifers" (Did I just complete my heel turn?).

But diet, ie. Keto, weight training (you'll naturally lift less because you have no carbs in you but don't be alarmed, it's still working) and light cardio and you'll blast the fat off in no time.

My brother-in-law is doing a keto diet, but I don't think he's lifting at all (not even sure how much exercise he's doing; I'll have to get an update the next time I see him). He's definitely losing weight pretty quickly.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
My brother-in-law is doing a keto diet, but I don't think he's lifting at all (not even sure how much exercise he's doing; I'll have to get an update the next time I see him). He's definitely losing weight pretty quickly.

You don't have to exercise on Keto to lose, but, like any diet, you lose more if you do. Keto attacks fat so even without training you'll reduce body fat but you won't be as sculpted. You're also quicker to fatigue on Keto when training because your body doesn't have as much glucose to expend so, if you try it, don't overdo the training. Light weight and light cardio is sufficient.

I lost 18 lbs in the first six weeks on Keto doing the above. I've since relaxed on the adherence to the diet but I still try to at least go paleo.

Reaction Score
You don't have to exercise on Keto to lose, but, like any diet, you lose more if you do. Keto attacks fat so even without training you'll reduce body fat but you won't be as sculpted. You're also quicker to fatigue on Keto when training because your body doesn't have as much glucose to expend so, if you try it, don't overdo the training. Light weight and light cardio is sufficient.

I lost 18 lbs in the first six weeks on Keto doing the above. I've since relaxed on the adherence to the diet but I still try to at least go paleo.
the biggest argument against working out when first starting to change your eating lifestyle, and one I'm a proponent of, is that you are hungrier when you're expelling more energy. it's a lot harder to keep food consumption low when you're working out frequently. most of the time you can't outrun your mouth.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
the biggest argument against working out when first starting to change your eating lifestyle, and one I'm a proponent of, is that you are hungrier when you're expelling more energy. it's a lot harder to keep food consumption low when you're working out frequently. most of the time you can't outrun your mouth.

True. You can always adjust calorie intake allotment based on working out but good self control is best. Rule of thumb for Keto cycling is weight x 9 to find allotted calories. That number of calories is usually high enough where you don't feel like you're "dieting" too. Plus, the good thing about Keto or Paleo is fat and protein are more sating than carbs so you feel fuller longer. But yeah, don't pig out just because you hit the gym.

Reaction Score
True. You can always adjust calorie intake allotment based on working out but good self control is best. Rule of thumb for Keto cycling is weight x 9 to find allotted calories. That number of calories is usually high enough where you don't feel like you're "dieting" too. Plus, the good thing about Keto or Paleo is fat and protein are more sating than carbs so you feel fuller longer. But yeah, don't pig out just because you hit the gym.
I like caloric restriction only because it's a good intro and a good habit to have. it's also 100% proven if your only goal is weight loss. getting an idea of how many calories certain foods have so you can keep it in the back of your head is invaluable. it also doesn't ruin your energy. plus, if you plateau (which you really shouldn't due to physics) or want to start eating clean it's a much easier transition

Reaction Score

This just sounds like an excuse not to work out. You're hungrier because you went to the gym? Eat a piece of grilled fish and some spinach, not an ice cream sundae. Or drink a protein shake. This stuff isn't rocket science.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I like caloric restriction only because it's a good intro and a good habit to have. it's also 100% proven if your only goal is weight loss. getting an idea of how many calories certain foods have so you can keep it in the back of your head is invaluable. it also doesn't ruin your energy. plus, if you plateau (which you really shouldn't due to physics) or want to start eating clean it's a much easier transition

I can't live without MyFitnessPal. It keeps me honest.

Reaction Score
Look into intermittent fasting! It’s a great fat loss tool and when done properly combined with weight training can help you do a body recomposition.

I’ve been doing it for about 2 months and am leaning out nicely and maintaining my muscle mass. I wish I knew about it earlier when I went through my initial 60lb weight lose journey.

Reaction Score
Try out a 10x10 session for couple weeks and then you can return to your regular routine.

For example chest day do bench but pick a weight that you can do 20 times usually 60% your max. Rest 90 seconds between sets. By the time you get to the 6th/7th set you will start feeling it kicking your ass. Then supplement other chest/ shoulder routines you do but 3 sets 8-10 reps (decline dumbbells, shoulder press, dips, whatever you do for chest)

Leg day same thing with squats and then supplement with your other leg workouts

Back/ arm day deadlift and supplement with your arm/ back workouts

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Can you lift two cell phones and run with them?

Yes ——> You are fit enough.

No ——> You are disgusting. Try harder.

How far is the real question.

Didnt Mr. Shea say 50.4 or something?

Reaction Score
This just sounds like an excuse not to work out. You're hungrier because you went to the gym? Eat a piece of grilled fish and some spinach, not an ice cream sundae. Or drink a protein shake. This stuff isn't rocket science.
well there are plenty of dieticians who are beginning to advocate for it when beginning a weight loss regimen. I didn't just make it up. Plenty of studies have shown that dietary change alone has led to more weight loss than dietary change coupled with moderate exercise over the initial 15 weeks. 10% more weight loss over that period is typically the result.

Reaction Score
Workout every other day so that you are getting 4-5 workouts every week.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
well there are plenty of dieticians who are beginning to advocate for it when beginning a weight loss regimen. I didn't just make it up. Plenty of studies have shown that dietary change alone has led to more weight loss than dietary change coupled with moderate exercise over the initial 15 weeks. 10% more weight loss over that period is typically the result.

That's actually true. at least for me. At least in the immediate. I dont know about the validity of your stats, but that was my experience with my specific nutrionist.

My nutritionist had me doing NOTHING for the first 10 days. Specifically told me not to.

that didnt last though. Now according to her I dont do enough.

Reaction Score
That's actually true. at least for me. At least in the immediate. I dont know about the validity of your stats, but that was my experience with my specific nutrionist.

My nutritionist had me doing NOTHING for the first 10 days. Specifically told me not to.

There's not a consensus and there are a lot of different ways to achieve results. Unfortunately new medical discoveries take a long time to trickle down. It's why we had a backwards food pyramid for decades even though a lot of researchers knew better and were trying to get it changed. If you have a 60 year old doctor/dietician/nutritionist and they haven't made an effort to stay current, you're getting 30-40 year old information a lot of the time. Unfortunately this leads to societal attitudes towards things that seem to be counter intuitive to older logic that has been repeated for long periods of time.

Reaction Score
I've been using Beach Body's 80 Day Obsession Eating Plan coupled with workouts on Darebee.com (all free). I've lost 16 pounds in three months, cut my 1.5 mile run time down from 13:34 to 10:42, ran the longest run of my life on Saturday at 13.2 miles in just a shy over 2 hours, and got above a 90 on my Air Force PT test for the first time in 6 years.

The beauty of Darebee.com workouts are that you can do body weight or add weights if you want. Best workout program I've done in my life.

Reaction Score
You can't outrun your fork. It's all about diet - eat raw veggies all the time

I eat so many freaking raw vegetables during the day that when my wife cooks vegetables with dinner it's like a party in my mouth.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
" it's like a party in my mouth". @YoungFree, I don't know if you want to use a phrase like that 'round these parts.

Reaction Score

That makes more sense if its short term. Obviously the goal or purpose is not to lose weight, it is to be healthier & exercise ultimately has to be a part of that. For me the goal is to be better at physical activities (team or indiv) so being fit often trumps losing weight, but they go together to breakthrough certain levels.
Still though blending in occasional diet restrictions and workout blitzes (2 a day) are useful mixing in.

C

Chief00

It's been about three months since I started dieting and regularly going to the gym. My gym workouts have consisted of three days of weight training, two days of high-intensity interval training and ab workouts, and two rest days. I've seen a pretty good change in my body; down 15 pounds overall, but I've definitely put on a good amount of muscle as I've pushed myself pretty hard as far as lifting goes. My weight training regiment is a mix of using the machines, dumbells, and the rack to do squats. I've increased the amount I can lift by a pretty good amount so far, and I'm constantly upping the amount of weight I lift in each exercise so I am pushing myself to the limit on each workout.

Here's my problem: I've plateaued. I still feel like I'm pushing myself hard in my workouts, but I don't feel sore at all the days after I lift. I realized this after I spent an afternoon raking leaves on Saturday, and I've been sore for the past 3 days from working my muscles in a different way than I had been at the gym. So it's definitely time to mix up my workout. I want to keep pushing myself and my muscles hard, since putting on muscle is definitely the best way to lose weight -- and I still have 40+ pounds I want to lose. Does anyone have a good total body workout that is different enough from regular weight training (bench press, squats, etc.) that will kick my weight loss back into high gear? Any and all suggestions are welcome; I would be happy to pick-and-choose ideas that will work best for me.

Love the weights but old school sit-ups and push-ups should be incorporated.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’ve had success with Body Beast from Beach Body on Demand. I think it’s like 90 for a year and is up to about 45 mins per. I actually do it at the gym and watch the video on my phone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom