OT: Weight training workout | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Weight training workout

Reaction Score
I'm not so big on calorie counting, because it doesn't tell you how you got there. If you eat 3500 calories but it's all food that's high in saturated fats and sugar/refined carbs, then your body is going to process that much differently than if you're eating whole grains, lowfat dairy, nuts, and lean meats. Since I'm trying to put on some muscle, I obviously want to focus on the latter group there.

Calorie counting has a purpose, which is to make sure you're not overeating or even undereating, but I figure as long as I stick to the healthy types of foods and limit my portions, I'm not going to have to worry much about calorie counting.
This is all false. I'll eat McDonald's every day for the next month with no working out and still outpace you if you're not tracking calories

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm not so big on calorie counting, because it doesn't tell you how you got there. If you eat 3500 calories but it's all food that's high in saturated fats and sugar/refined carbs, then your body is going to process that much differently than if you're eating whole grains, lowfat dairy, nuts, and lean meats. Since I'm trying to put on some muscle, I obviously want to focus on the latter group there.

Calorie counting has a purpose, which is to make sure you're not overeating or even undereating, but I figure as long as I stick to the healthy types of foods and limit my portions, I'm not going to have to worry much about calorie counting.

Ah.... its more than just counting Calories though. as you mentioned, WHAT you get your calories from makes a huge difference. There are apps that make it easy. Right now I get 40% of my calories from protein. 40% from "Smart" Carbs (as my nutritionist calls them - which is obviously no "whites" - no white flour, sugar, breads. Whole grains OK, Most fruits OK. ) and 20% from Fats.

If you count Calories in conjunction with knowing the ratio of those 3 items you are getting it IS helpful and DOES promote some pretty drastic differences fairly quick. (at least it has for me)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This is all false. I'll eat McDonald's every day for the next month with no working out and still outpace you if you're not tracking calories

What are you eating at McDonald's? How often are you eating during the day? Are you starving yourself to stay under a calorie count?

I'm tracking what I eat and have a general idea of how many calories everything I eat is; I just don't write down every meal I eat and add up all the calories. As long as each meal I eat isn't a ton of calories, is made up of high protein/fiber/whole grains, and is low in saturated fats and processed carbs, I know I'm going to lose weight and put on muscle.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. With the workout I'm doing, mixing up the order/amount of weight and reps would definitely be helpful.
Thanks for the info. With the workout I'm doing, mixing up the order/amount of weight and reps would definitely be helpful.
To start I would change the order of the exercises you listed.
Do your 3 sets of bench press and then do the chest flyes.
Do the machine row then lat pull downs for your back.
Do shoulder presses then do dumbbell side lateral raises instead of shrugs for shoulders. Group your exercises for each body part.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
To start I would change the order of the exercises you listed.
Do your 3 sets of bench press and then do the chest flyes.
Do the machine row then lat pull downs for your back.
Do should presses then do dumbbell side lateral raises instead of shrugs for shoulders. Group your exercises for each body part.

I would think that you would want to rest the muscle group you just worked, so not work your chest two workouts in a row. I always mixed up my workouts to avoid this, was I doing it wrong?

Reaction Score
Completely 100% agree. There are also behavioral benefits from eating healthier while foods (mainly satieting appetite and reducing chances of over-eating) but don’t tell @JMick that he will try to get you on a Pop-Tart diet

Edit lol looks like he already started.

Yeah I don’t really count closely anymore. I know a can of beans is about 400. I know some oatmeal and protein powder is about 300. I know the lentils/quinoa I make is about 450 per serving. I know my cereal and milk is about 400. Just read the labels a couple times and round up, have meals memorized

Reaction Score
What are you eating at McDonald's? How often are you eating during the day? Are you starving yourself to stay under a calorie count?

I'm tracking what I eat and have a general idea of how many calories everything I eat is; I just don't write down every meal I eat and add up all the calories. As long as each meal I eat isn't a ton of calories, is made up of high protein/fiber/whole grains, and is low in saturated fats and processed carbs, I know I'm going to lose weight and put on muscle.
I haven't been hungry yet. 25lbs in 60 days. No working out.

Reaction Score
Completely 100% agree. There are also behavioral benefits from eating healthier while foods (mainly satieting appetite and reducing chances of over-eating) but don’t tell @JMick that he will try to get you on a Pop-Tart diet

Edit lol looks like he already started.

Yeah I don’t really count closely anymore. I know a can of beans is about 400. I know some oatmeal and protein powder is about 300. I know the lentils/quinoa I make is about 450 per serving. I know my cereal and milk is about 400. Just read the labels a couple times and round up, have meals memorized
I'll PM you my .CSV file later with weight lost, food consumed and calories

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I haven't been hungry yet. 25lbs in 60 days. No working out.

I'm glad that's working for you, but you didn't answer my questions.

Reaction Score
I'm glad that's working for you, but you didn't answer my questions.
IMF from 9PM to 12PM every day. Then I eat basically whatever I want staying under 1900 calories.

Reaction Score
Congrats, you'll be skinny fat in no time.
Im not working out until I've lost another 15lbs. Then I'll be working out again. My joints are a mess. I want to get the weight off first to reduce stress

Reaction Score
I would think that you would want to rest the muscle group you just worked, so not work your chest two workouts in a row. I always mixed up my workouts to avoid this, was I doing it wrong?
I thought the exercises you listed are done each workout for your entire body.
And you do this workout 3 days a week. Like Mon- Wed - Fri.
Or am I mistaken?
What is your high intensity interval training? Do that on Tue - Thurs?

Reaction Score
Im not working out until I've lost another 15lbs. Then I'll be working out again. My joints are a mess. I want to get the weight off first to reduce stress
Bruh come on you’re like 25, you’d need to be chronically morbidly obese for your joints to be suffering from your own body weight. If your joints are bothering you, it’s probably all the inflammation caused by your awful diet.

Reaction Score
Bruh come on you’re like 25, you’d need to be chronically morbidly obese for your joints to be suffering from your own body weight. If your joints are bothering you, it’s probably all the inflammation caused by your awful diet.
No they're sports injuries

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
IMF from 9PM to 12PM every day. Then I eat basically whatever I want staying under 1900 calories.

Not sure what imf means. But I know that I could easily put back 1900 calories in one sitting at McDonald's lol

Reaction Score
No they're sports injuries
Regardless, again, your body weight likely has a negligible effect on your joints. Unless you’re like 100+ lbs overweight.

And I imagine you won’t even be doing super explosive or high-impact movements within your workouts

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I thought the exercises you listed are done each workout for your entire body.
And you do this workout 3 days a week. Like Mon- Wed - Fri.
Or am I mistaken?
What is your high intensity interval training? Do that on Tue - Thurs?

Correct. I lift Monday - Wednesday - Saturday and do HIIT on Tuesdays and either Thursday or Sunday depending on how the week is looking.

EDIT: And yes, I do that same workout each time I lift, whole body.

August_West

Reaction Score
Congrats, you'll be skinny fat in no time.

You should see me right now.

Ive dropped 31 lbs in 38 days but its always the gut that is the last to go (much to my chagrin) so now I look like one of those African Child starvation posters with a distended belly. I half expect Sally Struthers to start narrating my walk to the car in the morning.

My wife has me doing some Core stuff but man..... this sucks.

Reaction Score
You should see me right now.

Ive dropped 31 lbs in 38 days but its always the gut that is the last to go (much to my chagrin) so now I look like one of those African Child starvation posters with a distended belly. I half expect Sally Struthers to start narrating my walk to the car in the morning.

My wife has me doing some Core stuff but man..... this sucks.

You're doing it. That's the important thing.

August_West

Reaction Score
And I imagine you won’t even be doing super explosive movements within your workouts

The only explosive thing on Jmick is diarrhea of the mouth .

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Not sure what imf means. But I know that I could easily put back 1900 calories in one sitting at McDonald's lol
IMF is intermittent fasting.

Reaction Score
Regardless, again, your body weight likely has a negligible effect on your joints. Unless you’re like 100+ lbs overweight.

And I imagine you won’t even be doing super explosive or high-impact movements within your workouts
I've had multiple shoulder reconstructions, wrist surgery, tennis elbow, pulled hip flexors, bad hamstrings, etc. My rotator cuff in my pitching arm is shot too. My body is beat up. It's part of the reason I got fat in the first place. I was used to consuming 3000-4000 calories/day and when I wasn't playing sports anymore my appetite didn't really change.

Reaction Score
Correct. I lift Monday - Wednesday - Saturday and do HIIT on Tuesdays and either Thursday or Sunday depending on how the week is looking.

EDIT: And yes, I do that same workout each time I lift, whole body.
That is a good schedule.
I would do the exercises as I listed previously.
I would do chest first then shoulders, back, arms, legs, abs. In that order. Keeping the exercises together for each muscle group.

Reaction Score
I've had multiple shoulder reconstructions, wrist surgery, tennis elbow, pulled hip flexors, bad hamstrings, etc. My rotator cuff in my pitching arm is shot too. My body is beat up. It's part of the reason I got fat in the first place. I was used to consuming 3000-4000 calories/day and when I wasn't playing sports anymore my appetite didn't really change.
Okay that’s fine but again your weight shouldn’t be any limiter on your return to exercise. There are other things you should be doing to specifically improve your joint discomfort.

I really want to see you lift while eating nothing but McDonalds and see what happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom