OT: Weight training workout | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Weight training workout

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I have to concentrate on drinking enough water and because I drink a lot of coffee which dehydrates I have to drink even more water. Water fill you up, especially before eating. Keeps your body well hydrated and everything balanced.

Reaction Score
I have to concentrate on drinking enough water and because I drink a lot of coffee which dehydrates I have to drink even more water. Water fill you up, especially before eating. Keeps your body well hydrated and everything balanced.

Even better, drink a ton of water this summer and kiss sun-burns good bye.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

And it gets your veins bulging so you look more ripped :)

C

Chief00

Yeah because weights are totally new-school. We’ve only been lifting them since...

#chiefinsight

Come on - do you think we pass the eye test on weight training?
It’s been like boys against men in the trenches. And we are the boys.

Reaction Score
It's been about three months since I started dieting and regularly going to the gym. My gym workouts have consisted of three days of weight training, two days of high-intensity interval training and ab workouts, and two rest days. I've seen a pretty good change in my body; down 15 pounds overall, but I've definitely put on a good amount of muscle as I've pushed myself pretty hard as far as lifting goes. My weight training regiment is a mix of using the machines, dumbells, and the rack to do squats. I've increased the amount I can lift by a pretty good amount so far, and I'm constantly upping the amount of weight I lift in each exercise so I am pushing myself to the limit on each workout.

Here's my problem: I've plateaued. I still feel like I'm pushing myself hard in my workouts, but I don't feel sore at all the days after I lift. I realized this after I spent an afternoon raking leaves on Saturday, and I've been sore for the past 3 days from working my muscles in a different way than I had been at the gym. So it's definitely time to mix up my workout. I want to keep pushing myself and my muscles hard, since putting on muscle is definitely the best way to lose weight -- and I still have 40+ pounds I want to lose. Does anyone have a good total body workout that is different enough from regular weight training (bench press, squats, etc.) that will kick my weight loss back into high gear? Any and all suggestions are welcome; I would be happy to pick-and-choose ideas that will work best for me.
First off, you haven't plateaued. My guess is you've already gotten in the rut of doing the same thing over and over, same exercises in the same order, with the same reps etc. Also my advice is to gain your strength before you lose the weight.

If you want to gain strength eat a lot of protein and carbs (Oats, yogurt, chicken, lean beef, veggies, rice, pasta, cottage cheese) and do 5×5 and triples on your heavy lifts, do 6-12 on your accessory lifts and throw in some 18-20-25 reps occassionally for more hypertrophy burn out sets. Basically don't really count your reps too much on accessory work do what feels good to you and gives you a good pump. Always do your main heavy lifts first and smaller muscle group stuff like biceps and calves last. Once you get stonger on your main lifts by doing a 5×5, 3×5 you will have a good strength base and can go back to more hypertophic rep ranges, while still occassionally throwing in sets of just a few reps. If you really want to get strong my advice is to get strong first and then lose the weight. To get strong you have to eat a lot (protein, carbs, and good fats) and lift heavy. You're simply not going to get strong by not eating much. Once you get that strength base you want, it should be a lot easier to cut calories and lose weight while still maintaining most of your strength.

I usually like to get 4 workouts in a week. Here is bodypart breakdown I do- chest and triceps together, back and biceps together, shoulders/delts, and legs and forearms. I've tried other breakdowns over the years but this is what works best for me and I haven't changed it up in a long time. What you do want to change up is what exercises you do and rep ranges, throw in some dropsets and or supersets here and there. Usually lift 80% of your max but also go to failure sometimes and go light and crank out a ton of reps sometimes. Years ago I would make the mistake of doing basically the same exercises in the same order and same rep range pretty much every workout and that doesn't work. You have to confuse your muscles a bit and keep it fresh and try different things. Whatever you do don't get in the habit of doing the same stuff over and over, it will burn you out and isn't at all beneficial. Have like 4 or 5 different go to lifts for your heavy stuff and pick a couple to focus on for your individual workout before you do your accessory stuff.

Some people do only full body workouts, or a crossfit style, while other like a more typical bodybuilding style. It's all about what works for you, focusing on two bodyparts a day is what works for me and what I enjoy. If you want strength, focus more on big lifts that strengthen your back and less on things like biceps. You'll notice most people who have big strong backs also have pretty big arms. Don't care too much about arms. For upper body, I feel that back, shoulders and chest in that order are the most important. Tricep work is more important than direct bicep work for arms. It's a bigger muscle but do things like skullcrushers, close grip bench, with cable work mixed in. I always see people doing kickbacks with the smallest dumbell available and that does nothing for you. For biceps standing curls, incline curls, and preacher curls are all you ever need. Back is by far my favorite thing to train and I think it's essential for guys as we get older. If your back is strong and you know how those muscles work you are really going to limit your chances of hurting your back which is a huge problem for so many guys as we age, gotta hit it from different angles. Heavy rows from different angles and partial deadlifts will make you strong. For shoulders, overhead presses and heavy shrugs.

You want any suggestions on exercises, let me know.

Reaction Score
First off, you haven't plateaued. My guess is you've already gotten in the rut of doing the same thing over and over, same exercises in the same order, with the same reps etc. Also my advice is to gain your strength before you lose the weight.

If you want to gain strength eat a lot of protein and carbs (Oats, yogurt, chicken, lean beef, veggies, rice, pasta, cottage cheese) and do 5×5 and triples on your heavy lifts, do 6-12 on your accessory lifts and throw in some 18-20-25 reps occassionally for more hypertrophy burn out sets. Basically don't really count your reps too much on accessory work do what feels good to you and gives you a good pump. Always do your main heavy lifts first and smaller muscle group stuff like biceps and calves last. Once you get stonger on your main lifts by doing a 5×5, 3×5 you will have a good strength base and can go back to more hypertophic rep ranges, while still occassionally throwing in sets of just a few reps. If you really want to get strong my advice is to get strong first and then lose the weight. To get strong you have to eat a lot (protein, carbs, and good fats) and lift heavy. You're simply not going to get strong by not eating much. Once you get that strength base you want, it should be a lot easier to cut calories and lose weight while still maintaining most of your strength.

I usually like to get 4 workouts in a week. Here is bodypart breakdown I do- chest and triceps together, back and biceps together, shoulders/delts, and legs and forearms. I've tried other breakdowns over the years but this is what works best for me and I haven't changed it up in a long time. What you do want to change up is what exercises you do and rep ranges, throw in some dropsets and or supersets here and there. Usually lift 80% of your max but also go to failure sometimes and go light and crank out a ton of reps sometimes. Years ago I would make the mistake of doing basically the same exercises in the same order and same rep range pretty much every workout and that doesn't work. You have to confuse your muscles a bit and keep it fresh and try different things. Whatever you do don't get in the habit of doing the same stuff over and over, it will burn you out and isn't at all beneficial. Have like 4 or 5 different go to lifts for your heavy stuff and pick a couple to focus on for your individual workout before you do your accessory stuff.

Some people do only full body workouts, or a crossfit style, while other like a more typical bodybuilding style. It's all about what works for you, focusing on two bodyparts a day is what works for me and what I enjoy. If you want strength, focus more on big lifts that strengthen your back and less on things like biceps. You'll notice most people who have big strong backs also have pretty big arms. Don't care too much about arms. For upper body, I feel that back, shoulders and chest in that order are the most important. Tricep work is more important than direct bicep work for arms. It's a bigger muscle but do things like skullcrushers, close grip bench, with cable work mixed in. I always see people doing kickbacks with the smallest dumbell available and that does nothing for you. For biceps standing curls, incline curls, and preacher curls are all you ever need. Back is by far my favorite thing to train and I think it's essential for guys as we get older. If your back is strong and you know how those muscles work you are really going to limit your chances of hurting your back which is a huge problem for so many guys as we age, gotta hit it from different angles. Heavy rows from different angles and partial deadlifts will make you strong. For shoulders, overhead presses and heavy shrugs.

You want any suggestions on exercises, let me know.
Is there a legitimate argument against going to failure every workout? I know there are slight injury concerns but from my time working out and all the research I've done recently, going to failure is the absolute best way to make gains

Reaction Score
Is there a legitimate argument against going to failure every workout? I know there are slight injury concerns but from my time working out and all the research I've done recently, going to failure is the absolute best way to make gains
Not that I've seen, I don't do it every set or anything but it's definitely good to really push out those last couple reps. For some reason at commercial gyms you don't see it much. These are people who work out with free weights every workout and want to see gains yet they do the same half effort stuff over and over.

Reaction Score
Not that I've seen, I don't do it every set or anything but it's definitely good to really push out those last couple reps. For some reason at commercial gyms you don't see it much. These are people who work out with free weights every workout and want to see gains yet they do the same half effort stuff over and over.
Ok I agree with you then. I just never know what people mean when they say 5x5x5. I always did 5x5xfailure. If I did 6 or 7 reps on my last set I knew I needed to up my weight on the initial reps. Just ending at 5 because it's a number doesn't help anyone

Reaction Score
Going to failure can be near-synonymous with break-down in form which:

When lifting heavy, can be dangerous
When lifting for volume, can result in sub-optimal contractions (cheating)

Don’t get me wrong though I go to near-failure (first rep with real break-down in form) every final set for my strength-building primary movers

Reaction Score
Ok I agree with you then. I just never know what people mean when they say 5x5x5. I always did 5x5xfailure. If I did 6 or 7 reps on my last set I knew I needed to up my weight on the initial reps. Just ending at 5 because it's a number doesn't help anyone
I just threw 5×5 out there because it's a known strength program but these should be looked at more like guidelines and not strictly adhered to. If you have more gas in the tank, keep going.

Reaction Score
Going to failure can be near-synonymous with break-down in form which:

When lifting heavy, can be dangerous
When lifting for volume, can result in sub-optimal contractions (cheating)

Don’t get me wrong though I go to near-failure (first rep with real break-down in form) every final set for my strength-building primary movers
Cheat reps can be great too.

Reaction Score
I’m following this thread bc I’m “obese” but if you saw me I don’t come across as obese. I’m about 6’1”, 230. However, I’m a bigger frame person (bigger calf muscles, broader shoulders). My new doctor (got a new doctor bc I moved) and he’s going by the BMI chart that says I should be 190. He wants me to get down to 200. I’d like too also, however, all of my health numbers came back normal. My blood pressure is fine, cholesterol is good, etc.

I’m meeting with a nutritionist on 4/28. I started IF this week (I eat from 12:30-8:30 daily), and pretty healthy at that (I do treat myself to an Italian meal once a week of some sort of pasta dish bc I’m Italian and I can’t NOT have it). However the other 6 days are all lean meat, fresh steamed veggies, salads, etc. I drink about 72 Oz if water a day and work out 3-4 days a week at 6 am.

I’m hoping to get down to 210 from 230. I’ve cut out a few things this week, but do still want to occasionally have my cheat meals. I have a follow up on 6/21 with my doctor.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Reaction Score
I’m following this thread bc I’m “obese” but if you saw me I don’t come across as obese. I’m about 6’1”, 230. However, I’m a bigger frame person (bigger calf muscles, broader shoulders). My new doctor (got a new doctor bc I moved) and he’s going by the BMI chart that says I should be 190. He wants me to get down to 200. I’d like too also, however, all of my health numbers came back normal. My blood pressure is fine, cholesterol is good, etc.

I’m meeting with a nutritionist on 4/28. I started IF this week (I eat from 12:30-8:30 daily), and pretty healthy at that (I do treat myself to an Italian meal once a week of some sort of pasta dish bc I’m Italian and I can’t NOT have it). However the other 6 days are all lean meat, fresh steamed veggies, salads, etc. I drink about 72 Oz if water a day and work out 3-4 days a week at 6 am.

I’m hoping to get down to 210 from 230. I’ve cut out a few things this week, but do still want to occasionally have my cheat meals. I have a follow up on 6/21 with my doctor.

To be properly hydrated you should be drinking 2/3 your lean body mass. So for example 210 lb you should be drinking 140 oz water a day and don't chug it all at once it should be more or less spread out through the day.

Drinking lot of water also helps with burning fat as you body is constantly working and burning calories from all the water being drank

Reaction Score

I'd change doctors if they're still using BMI on an individual basis. That's not to say you can't afford to lose weight, but it shows he's not current with his medical information

Reaction Score
I’ve had success with Body Beast from Beach Body on Demand. I think it’s like 90 for a year and is up to about 45 mins per. I actually do it at the gym and watch the video on my phone.

Yeah, BBOD is what my wife has. She loves it. I just use the eating plans and Darebee.com.

Reaction Score

You're not obese, if you're a bigger guy (broad shoulders) and your bp and cholesterol are good you're probably pretty healthy. Those charts are absurd. I'm 215 lbs. and have a resting heart rate of like 50, good bp and cholesterol numbers but the charts tell me I should be between 175-127 lbs. The charts are incredibly outdated and seem to be made for small Asian men.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You're not obese, if you're a bigger guy (broad shoulders) and your bp and cholesterol are good you're probably pretty healthy. Those charts are absurd. I'm 215 lbs. and have a resting heart rate of like 50, good bp and cholesterol numbers but the charts tell me I should be between 175-127 lbs. The charts are incredibly outdated and seem to be made for small Asian men.
I think one of the reasons obesity rates are so high is the obsurdity of the BMI chart.

Reaction Score
That’s the thing, my old doctor told me I should lose 10 lbs or so and this guy has me one foot in the grave, talking about diabetes, etc. (it runs in the fam). The one thing I forgot to mention is cholesterol runs in my family and I was at 296 (for those that don’t know anything under 200 is normal), my former doctor told me to change my diet and I did and put me on 10 mg of Lipitor. My numbers went down to 163 at its best and it’s now at 176. Saw this new guy and he had me double my dosage. Not a big deal but wondering if he’s an alarmist.

Reaction Score
BMI was literally never created to be used for a person. It was to be used as a snapshot for populations. The creator of BMI even said that it shouldn't be used to measure an individual.

Reaction Score
I think I’m going to see this guy through to my June appointment, if he still has me feeling like I’m the fattest guy on the planet then I may try to find someone else.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom