OT: Weight training workout | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Weight training workout

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
IMF is intermittent fasting.

Interesting. That wouldn't work for me since I would be absolutely starving if I had to wait until 12 to eat. If it's working for you though that's all that really matters.

Reaction Score
Interesting. That wouldn't work for me since I would be absolutely starving if I had to wait until 12 to eat. If it's working for you though that's all that really matters.
You can break through that. Your enteral nervous system works like other nervous system networks and learns just like they do as well. Your stomach “learns” to expect food at specific times, sends specific hormones up to the brain, the brain interprets them, and you subjectively feel a sensation of hunger.

But you can break that learning. I first tried IMF years ago and it is very powerful. It can actually be dangerous because there are some days where I end up not feeling hungry at all until like 5pm. There was a point where my body never expected food and I would almost never feel hungry.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That is a good schedule.
I would do the exercises as I listed previously.
I would do chest first then shoulders, back, arms, legs, abs. In that order. Keeping the exercises together for each muscle group.

That might affect how much weight I'm using, since I need at least a few minutes rest after working a specific muscle group before I'm able to work that same muscle again. Like at the end of my squats now I'm almost not able to finish due to the muscles being tired. If I do leg extensions and curls right before the squats, I don't think I'll be able to complete 3 sets.

Reaction Score
Okay that’s fine but again your weight shouldn’t be any limiter on your return to exercise. There are other things you should be doing to specifically improve your joint discomfort.

I really want to see you lift while eating nothing but McDonalds and see what happens.
I'd probably just cut out the buns and be fine. A lot of athletes eat tons of fast food during training

Reaction Score
That might affect how much weight I'm using, since I need at least a few minutes rest after working a specific muscle group before I'm able to work that same muscle again. Like at the end of my squats now I'm almost not able to finish due to the muscles being tired. If I do leg extensions and curls right before the squats, I don't think I'll be able to complete 3 sets.
Try to keep 60-90 second rest between sets.
Drop a little weight if needed or keep same weight doing less reps.
Try pyramid with your bench press, shoulder press.
Do 10 reps. Add weight do 8 reps. Add more weight do 6 reps.
Do 4th set with same weight for 8-10 reps.
Reps can be more effective then weight.
Change up routine every week.

Reaction Score
Does the gym you go to have personal trainers?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Does the gym you go to have personal trainers?

I just go to Planet Fitness. They have trainers but I'm not sure how good they are.

Reaction Score
A lot of athletes eat tons of fast food during training
I hope I don’t need to talk about longevity with said diet

Or that professional athletic training is like nothing anyone like you or me are doing.

Reaction Score
I hope I don’t need to talk about longevity with said diet

Or that professional athletic training is like nothing anyone like you or me are doing.
No it's not. I really don't eat that bad. My point is that if you want to lose weight and it's your only true goal then counting calories is the simplest and most effective way to do so. I eat fast food like once a week.

Reaction Score
No it's not. I really don't eat that bad.
LMAOOOO

Everyone works out like professional athletes. Which is why society is filled with people who look like professional athletes.

Why aren’t you eating fast food every meal?

Reaction Score
Respectfully, you're out of your mind if you're comparing yourself to Olympic athletes.
Not at all. I'm an above average athlete and that's about it. I was into power lifting during my teens and was pretty good. I needed easy calories back then to bulk

Reaction Score
LMAOOOO

Everyone works out like professional athletes. Which is why society is filled with people who look like professional athletes.

Why aren’t you eating fast food every meal?
I was agreeing with you

Reaction Score
Not at all. I'm an above average athlete and that's about it. I was into power lifting during my teens and was pretty good. I needed easy calories back then to bulk
What did you get your total up to

What class were you in

Reaction Score

You'd be amazed at how quickly the human body can adjust. I did intermittent fasting before it blew up, I believe in 2010 or 2011, and within two weeks I had no problems keeping my meals within the eight-hour feeding window. Remember that you're eating the same amount of calories in a 24 hour period.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My avatar hasn't gained any extra weight since he was 18. He mixes a powdery substance with a liquory liquid and smokes a pungent type of tobacco. Helps him keep the weight off but does slur his speech. Glad I could help

Reaction Score
It's been about three months since I started dieting and regularly going to the gym. My gym workouts have consisted of three days of weight training, two days of high-intensity interval training and ab workouts, and two rest days. I've seen a pretty good change in my body; down 15 pounds overall, but I've definitely put on a good amount of muscle as I've pushed myself pretty hard as far as lifting goes. My weight training regiment is a mix of using the machines, dumbells, and the rack to do squats. I've increased the amount I can lift by a pretty good amount so far, and I'm constantly upping the amount of weight I lift in each exercise so I am pushing myself to the limit on each workout.

Here's my problem: I've plateaued. I still feel like I'm pushing myself hard in my workouts, but I don't feel sore at all the days after I lift. I realized this after I spent an afternoon raking leaves on Saturday, and I've been sore for the past 3 days from working my muscles in a different way than I had been at the gym. So it's definitely time to mix up my workout. I want to keep pushing myself and my muscles hard, since putting on muscle is definitely the best way to lose weight -- and I still have 40+ pounds I want to lose. Does anyone have a good total body workout that is different enough from regular weight training (bench press, squats, etc.) that will kick my weight loss back into high gear? Any and all suggestions are welcome; I would be happy to pick-and-choose ideas that will work best for me.
I know it will sound weird, but a former wrestler named DDP has a power yoga program that will do the trick for you. I’ve been lifting for 30 years and this is a great strength, conditioning, and cardio workout. Check it out

Reaction Score
On a further note I have replaced a morning meal with a green smoothie. Kale, fruit, carrots and water. I’ve always been in good shape, but now at 47 dropped from 195 to 185 in the last 2 months. If I got rid of my beer habit I could probably get more cut

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm not reading all of this because most of you are what Rick Rude would have called "fat, out of shape, Hartford heifers" (Did I just complete my heel turn?).

But diet, ie. Keto, weight training (you'll naturally lift less because you have no carbs in you but don't be alarmed, it's still working) and light cardio and you'll blast the fat off in no time.

Reaction Score
@Rico444 congrats on your progress. The hardest thing to do is get started. You should be proud of yourself. Commitment to living a healthy lifestyle is not an easy thing to do. It takes commitment, effort, sacrifice, and hard work. It so much easier to gain weight then to lose and maintain. The fact that you’ve been doing it for 3 months consistently is awesome. Keep it going!!!

Our bodies continuously adapt to the physical stresses we put on them. With strength training it’s referred to as adaptation to exercise. Without knowing the actual routine you do each workout, here are a couple nuggets that may help you understand the process and continue your journey.

If you follow the exact same regime every week, your body will adapt within the first few weeks. The workouts will not have the same physiological effects (that plateau you are experiencing) and eventually the workouts will become pretty boring.

There are a number of ways to overcome those plateaus. Some have been mentioned in previous posts. But keep this in mind, everybody is different and every body reacts different to different modes of training. Doing a 5x5 program is a great idea, because it’s a change from what your body is accustomed to doing. But, that doesn’t mean it is right for you. Especially, if you don’t have someone to spot you. Yoga is also a great idea. Again, it’s different from your current regimen. But, it’s also not something you want to jump head first into especially if you haven’t spent much time on flexibility training. Remember how sore (delayed onset muscle soreness, often referred to as, DOMS) you were from simply raking leaves....You physically stressed your muscles in a way that was much different then your body expected. Hopefully, you’re starting to see the pattern here.

The key to avoiding the dreaded “plateau” is overload. How you achieve that is up to you? You know your body (and it’s limitations) better then anyone. Whatever you do, do it safely. An injury can and will occur if you overload on the overload!!! ;)

Here are a couple suggestions:
  1. Drink two glasses (16oz.) of water first thing upon waking up.
  2. Understand the REST:WORK ratio of your training.
  3. Train your body across multiple movement planes.
  4. Understand “progressive overload”.
  5. Take advantage of active rest workouts.
  6. There are a million ways to skin a cat.” Train the same muscle group with a new movement. Use exercise swaps to change things up.
Keep working hard and good luck!!!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom