OT : We are everywhere | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT : We are everywhere

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If you can't gorge yourself once in a blue moon, what kind of lifestyle is that?
That’s a great point. I wanna live a while for sure, but if I can’t have arbys 3-4 times a year am I living?

Not in my world

Reaction Score
Have you ever been to one of the Roast Beef places on the North Shore of the Boston metro area?
I remember Harrison's Beef in North Andover being very good.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Top 10 beef joints. Name them.

I'm waiting for @ to announce that the Buffalo Arby's has mastered a beef on weck.

(which, btw, may be the world's worst sandwich concept).

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Top 10 beef joints. Name them.

No particular order:
( top of my head because some have been a while , may not remember ten)

Als
Portillos
Johnnies
Mr beef
Novis ( Berwyn . Outlier but so great because I know more about Chicago than you)
Tony’s

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for @ to announce that the Buffalo Arby's has mastered a beef on weck.

(which, btw, may be the world's worst sandwich concept).

What is beef on weck? Took a close look and they appear to be standard roast beef sandwiches?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
What is beef on weck? Took a close look and they appear to be standard roast beef sandwiches?
Weck is a great herbed bread , beef on weck is roast beef on herbed, salted bread with horseradish and Au jus. It’s really good actually for a bunch of pikers.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Weck is a great herbed bread , beef on weck is roast beef on herbed, salted bread with horseradish and Au jus. It’s really good actually for a bunch of pikers.

Ahhh I see. Cheers. I don't do horseradish, so I think that's where it would fail for me. And probably why It's never entered my awareness.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Ahhh I see. Cheers. I don't do horseradish, so I think that's where it would fail for me. And probably why It's never entered my awareness.
I actually just went back to Arby’s for a gyro and am currently dumping horsey on it as I type. Do you believe me?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
My gawd - I can't wait for the season to start.

It’s always arbys season.

tui7L1E_d.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Kummelweck rolls - not herbed, just caraway seeds and salt on top.

The only places I’ve seen them regularly are in western NY and the (now closed) Karl Ehmer German delis back in the day.

Ridiculously good.

Reaction Score
No particular order:
( top of my head because some have been a while , may not remember ten)

Als
Portillos
Johnnies
Mr beef
Novis ( Berwyn . Outlier but so great because I know more about Chicago than you)
Tony’s
Joe Boston's just closed, that might have been the best, right there with Johnnie's.

Johnnie's 2 beefs hot and sweet dipped on both ends with a lemon ice.

I like the Italian Beef but overall I think it's a bit overrated like Chicago's other regional foods, deep dish and the Chicago dog. Chicago might be the best food city in the country but I would rather eat across New Orleans and Philly.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

The only places I’ve seen them regularly are in western NY and the (now closed) Karl Ehmer German delis back in the day.

Ridiculously good.
It’s a great tasty roll. Believe it or not there was a place in Essex Ct ( Oliver’s Tavern ) who made a halfway decent beef on weck ( I have no idea where they got the roll approximation) before they closed a few years back

Reaction Score
So who was the Yarder you met up with Dayooper?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Joe Boston's just closed, that might have been the best, right there with Johnnie's.

Johnnie's 2 beefs hot and sweet dipped on both ends with a lemon ice.

I like the Italian Beef but overall I think it's a bit overrated like Chicago's other regional foods, deep dish and the Chicago dog. Chicago might be the best food city in the country but I would rather eat across New Orleans and Philly.
Philly roast pork> ibeef> cheesesteak

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s a great tasty roll. Believe it or not there was a place in Essex Ct ( Oliver’s Tavern ) who made a halfway decent beef on weck ( I have no idea where they got the roll approximation) before they closed a few years back

They really shouldn't be hard to make - they're really just kaiser rolls egg-washed and topped with caraway and salt. (My German is rusty, but I think the direct translation here is "caraway roll.")

We just need to convince people to do it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Ridiculously good.

Weck is the most overrated sandwich roll in existence.

If one liked Aqavit but couldn't afford it, then I suppose you could buy cheap vodka and filter it through a weck bun and voila! Beyond that, the rolls are quite useless.

And horseradish is quite optional. As is au jus (which would be a weck French dip). The classic beef on weck is just a pile of otherwise unremarkable roast beef on a really unremarkable salted bun that reeks of caraway seed.

And somehow this is a dish that defines a once-great American city. It almost makes me proud to live in Primantistan.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I actually just went back to Arby’s for a gyro and am currently dumping horsey on it as I type. Do you believe me?

Never made the connection between Horsey sauce and horseradish. That's disappointing. If you told Horsey sauce was made from leavings at the glue factory, I would have been more into it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom