OT : We are everywhere | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT : We are everywhere

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I like the Italian Beef but overall I think it's a bit overrated like Chicago's other regional foods, deep dish and the Chicago dog. Chicago might be the best food city in the country but I would rather eat across New Orleans and Philly.

Chicago dogs are most definitely not overrated. But when in Chicago, I skip the Italian beef and Chicago pizza and go for the Mexican food, which, outside of tacos, may be better than SoCal.

My favorite Thai resto in the country was there too, but it closed a few years back. Nothing over $6 on the entire menu.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Philly roast pork is king but I'm also partial to a great cheesesteak over a great Italian beef. The Chicago breaded steak sandwich is pretty damn good.
Franklin giant grinder has the BOMB beef cutlet

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You’re not lying about that. But the tacos are great too!

Depends on your fillings of choice. SoCal certainly wins fish/seafood, and I'd give them the edge on al pastor. However, Chicago rules pork and offal (e.g. lengua, pork stomach, lamb brains, etc.) because SoCal seems to be a lot of machos in trucks and shacks whereas in Chicago a lot of the cooking is abuelitas who add that secret ingredient of amor!

Reaction Score
Chicago dogs are most definitely not overrated. But when in Chicago, I skip the Italian beef and Chicago pizza and go for the Mexican food, which, outside of tacos, may be better than SoCal.

My favorite Thai resto in the country was there too, but it closed a few years back. Nothing over $6 on the entire menu.
Yes, the Mexican food is awesome. I eat it at least once a week. Chicago dogs are good but to me a perfect dog is chili, mustard, kraut.

The Thai place didn't happen to be that dive River Kwai on Belmont did it?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Depends on your fillings of choice. SoCal certainly wins fish/seafood, and I'd give them the edge on al pastor. However, Chicago rules pork and offal (e.g. lengua, pork stomach, lamb brains, etc.).
Won’t disagree there either. Fish tacos obvious. And SoCal al pastor great too. You see more vertical spits down there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
People fighting over what to put on hot dogs is maybe the best reason to shut down the internet.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes, the Mexican food is awesome. I eat it at least once a week. Chicago dogs are good but to me a perfect dog is chili, mustard, kraut.

The Thai place didn't happen to be that dive River Kwai on Belmont did it?

No, Thai Star on N. State.

Reaction Score
Depends on your fillings of choice. SoCal certainly wins fish/seafood, and I'd give them the edge on al pastor. However, Chicago rules pork and offal (e.g. lengua, pork stomach, lamb brains, etc.) because SoCal seems to be a lot of machos in trucks and shacks whereas in Chicago a lot of the cooking is abuelitas who add that secret ingredient of amor!
In my experience the best tacos in Chicago are at the divey type places, little Mexican markets with a restaurant inside, bars on the window type places. Those places all have a trompo.

Haven't had San Diego Mexican but had Al pastor at the place where Al pastor was created in Mexico City and the Chicago stuff seemed as good or better.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I’m a straight mustard guy unless someone has some decent chili available - but I think we are ready for a new topic.
My man.

No new topic needed. Topic is arbys. They don’t sell dogs. ( but if they did they wouldn’t offer ketchup)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In my experience the best tacos in Chicago are at the divey type places, little Mexican markets with a restaurant inside, bars on the window type places. Those places all have a trompo.

Haven't had San Diego Mexican but had Al pastor at the place where Al pastor was created in Mexico City and the Chicago stuff seemed as good or better.

I'm giving the nod to the places that are closest to the pineapples :)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You will thank me for turning you onto this. Once the pork is done all you need is a nice baguette.

Cuban Fried Pork Chunks - Masitas de Puerco Fritas

I have tested this recipe and I like it better than Mexican carnitas due to the texture and taste. And now I'm hungry. Pork roasts are BOGO this week!
I had deep fried carnitas yesterday. So great. ( I’m a couple hours from Chicago the Chicano is strong here)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My man.

No new topic needed. Topic is arbys. They don’t sell dogs. ( but if they did they wouldn’t offer ketchup)

We can talk arby’s. I meant the internet needs to stop talking about hot dog toppings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom