OT : We are everywhere | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT : We are everywhere

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You guys need to get me back over there. I need someplace to vent w/o collecting points.

Buy a bunch of sh#t with the boneyard amazon referral link. Maybe that'll do the trick.

Reaction Score
Truth. Down 55, started drinking and eating carbs again.up 14 in 3 months.

Oh yeah. And now he’s double dipping Arby’s in one day? Hope he kept his fat pants.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Chicago dogs are most definitely not overrated. But when in Chicago, I skip the Italian beef and Chicago pizza and go for the Mexican food, which, outside of tacos, may be better than SoCal.

My favorite Thai resto in the country was there too, but it closed a few years back. Nothing over $6 on the entire menu.

Mexican food better than SoCal? That's not a particularly high bar.

Sante Fe, NM has the best Mexican cuisine on the planet, and there are no close seconds. Blue corn tortillas, red and green chile, hatch peppers...a cross between Mexican and native American. I had a shrimp cocktail there with a mustard-based hot sauce that was out of this world.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Mexican food better than SoCal? That's not a particularly high bar.

Sante Fe, NM has the best Mexican cuisine on the planet, and there are no close seconds. Blue corn tortillas, red and green chile, hatch peppers...a cross between Mexican and native American. I had a shrimp cocktail there with a mustard-based hot sauce that was out of this world.

New Mexican is its own thing, IMO. New Mexico cuisine resembles Northern Mex but doesn't really include southern Mexico at all.

It's definitely a hybrid of Mexican and Pueblo Nation and a good one, but I wouldn't call it "Mexican" like I would with SoCal or Chicago. Outside of NM, restaurants are typically taking recipes from Mexico and transplanting those directly to US cities while making use of available local ingredients. New Mexico has its own food traditions that are already far removed from Mexico. SE Arizona and SW Texas could be lumped in with this.

This is a thing with me. I lived in Mexico, fell in love with the food from all over the country, have studied the food culture pretty thoroughly and am relatively competent at cooking it. That may be a humble brag, but trust that my opinions are not based on drive-bys.

Reaction Score
New Mexican is its own thing, IMO. New Mexico cuisine resembles Northern Mex but doesn't really include southern Mexico at all.

It's definitely a hybrid of Mexican and Pueblo Nation and a good one, but I wouldn't call it "Mexican" like I would with SoCal or Chicago. Outside of NM, restaurants are typically taking recipes from Mexico and transplanting those directly to US cities while making use of available local ingredients. New Mexico has its own food traditions that are already far removed from Mexico. SE Arizona and SW Texas could be lumped in with this.

This is a thing with me. I lived in Mexico, fell in love with the food from all over the country, have studied the food culture pretty thoroughly and am relatively competent at cooking it. That may be a humble brag, but trust that my opinions are not based on drive-bys.

I want to love all Mexican food and I really love the Mexican that I do like.

HOWEVER I hate cilantro. Do you have any suggestions for how to get around that? Do Americans not use it right? Or am I just a lost cause? :(

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

HOWEVER I hate cilantro. Do you have any suggestions for how to get around that? Do Americans not use it right? Or am I just a lost cause? :(

You could be a "supertaster", which means you have sensitivity to a range of fairly specific foods, with "cilantro tasting like soap" being one of the most common. It's not that rare, something like 25% of people are like that.

I don't know how you work around that. Cilantro to me is a key ingredient and for me, is an herb that makes dishes taste more "fresh". I don't think there's a substitute, but if you can tolerate flat leaf parsley, you might try that for home cooking. Not much you can do while eating out though, except to ask to not add any while finishing a dish (it's often already in sauces and prepped foods, so can't do anything about that).

Reaction Score
You could be a "supertaster", which means you have sensitivity to a range of fairly specific foods, with "cilantro tasting like soap" being one of the most common. It's not that rare, something like 25% of people are like that.

I don't know how you work around that. Cilantro to me is a key ingredient and for me, is an herb that makes dishes taste more "fresh". I don't think there's a substitute, but if you can tolerate flat leaf parsley, you might try that for home cooking. Not much you can do while eating out though, except to ask to not add any while finishing a dish (it's often already in sauces and prepped foods, so can't do anything about that).

Yeah, I'll continue to get my usual dishes when I get Mexican.

OT: parsley is am extreamly underrated herb. I think that's the herb makes dishes taste more "fresh"

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I used to have the same issue; it wasn't so much a "hatred" of cilantro as much as the "soap" association (I used to say cellophane) and I didn't think it warranted the praise/hype/overuse for Mexican food. I used to go out of my to avoid it but somewhere along the line I stopped caring because it was so omnipresent, and now it doesn't bother me (and actually reminds me a lot of flat leaf parsley).

I also learned two years ago that it is the same thing as coriander, which I never knew before (in the U.S. we tend to call only the seed coriander; in India and the U.K. they call the plant that also).

Reaction Score
lost cause, and coriander's the cilantro seed; leaf is the very likeable plant/leafy cilantro.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
and coriander's the cilantro seed; leaf is the very likeable plant/leafy cilantro.
I got into a very long argument about this with my cousin when I was in the UK the summer before last. I insisted that your understanding, which was the same as mine, was correct. After some research I realized that it varies depending on the country, and they do indeed call both the seed and the plant/leaf "coriander" in the UK and India.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I'm in MI as well...hmmm
West coast?

Arbys meetup?

The yarder I went with yesterday, who had his first arbys experience, went back to Arby's today!

I had to bow out after my double shot yesterday.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
West coast?

Arbys meetup?

The yarder I went with yesterday, who had his first arbys experience, went back today!

I had to bow out after my double shot yesterday.

When do you fly back home? We could meet at DTW

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Thursday I will be at DTW around 4 pm

Chick Fil A!

I’m on your flight 3:30 direct to BDL.(if you’re on delta) August I don’t eat fast food lol

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I’m on your flight 3:30 direct to BDL.(if you’re on delta) August I don’t eat fast food lol

Im on Delta, but on the 4:05

Its not fast food. Its good food served quickly.

You can change to my flight.

You dont sit in back with the riff raff who fight for overhead bin space, do you? LOL zone 2 and zone 3 people.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
s not fast food. Its good food served quickly

Chick Fil A is not fast food.

It is good food fast.

giphy.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics