OT : We are everywhere | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT : We are everywhere

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Im on Delta, but on the 4:05

Its not fast food. Its good food served quickly.

You can change to my flight.

You dont sit in back with the riff raff who fight for overhead bin space, do you? LOL zone 2 and zone 3 people.

Ah I’m actually on the 9:55pm this week, does I’ll miss you this week.

Reaction Score
After some research I realized that it varies depending on the country, and they do indeed call both the seed and the plant/leaf "coriander" in the UK and India.
Pharkin' dumb English and their misled colonial victims. Your cousin's likely wrong about other shiite as well!

Reaction Score
I had my UConn blue hoodie on walking along the Cliffs of Moher last week and while taking a break at O'Brien's Tower, said hi to an older gentleman with a UConn hat and a young girls in a UConn Women's long-sleeve shirt.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Pharkin' dumb English and their misled colonial victims. Your cousin's likely wrong about other shiite as well!
She's an American, not a Brit, but they have lived in the UK for around ten years (as well as in India for a while, and Hong Kong and Bermuda before that). Believe me, I was adamant--there was alcohol involved--and we had quite a row about it. I was called out for my obnoxious, know-it-all American attitude because I was so insistent. Imagine my horror when I googled later that night and found support for their usage.

Reaction Score
No particular order:
( top of my head because some have been a while , may not remember ten)

Als
Portillos
Johnnies
Mr beef
Novis ( Berwyn . Outlier but so great because I know more about Chicago than you)
Tony’s
A couple of beefs from Johnnies...
20180908_183055.jpg

Reaction Score
She's an American, not a Brit, but they have lived in the UK for around ten years (as well as in India for a while, and Hong Kong and Bermuda before that).
After so much time in once misled English colonies, sadly your cousin's brain started going to mush. Steer clear of Googlisms & stick with the more specific & accurate US American differentation of coriandrum sativum: cilantro the leafy plant vs post-flowering coriander seed.

Reaction Score
New Mexican is its own thing, IMO. New Mexico cuisine resembles Northern Mex but doesn't really include southern Mexico at all.

It's definitely a hybrid of Mexican and Pueblo Nation and a good one, but I wouldn't call it "Mexican" like I would with SoCal or Chicago. Outside of NM, restaurants are typically taking recipes from Mexico and transplanting those directly to US cities while making use of available local ingredients. New Mexico has its own food traditions that are already far removed from Mexico. SE Arizona and SW Texas could be lumped in with this.

This is a thing with me. I lived in Mexico, fell in love with the food from all over the country, have studied the food culture pretty thoroughly and am relatively competent at cooking it. That may be a humble brag, but trust that my opinions are not based on drive-bys.
But muh blue corn tortillas lol

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
But muh blue corn tortillas lol

I'll give NM this much - I'm already into my third pound of Hatch chiles this season. Tastier than your standard Anaheim or Cubanelle.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
After so much time in once misled English colonies, sadly your cousin's brain started going to mush. Steer clear of Googlisms & stick with the more specific & accurate US American differentation of coriandrum sativum: cilantro the leafy plant vs post-flowering coriander seed.
That is the way I still use them, but the point is it that it means different things to different people, depending on region. I can't stop it and you can't stop it, even if we think we're "right." That's how language works; it's all about iterability.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@Da_Aisijimo_Gou , even though I've walked past it daily since it's been open, a propos of this discussion I just noticed for the first time the image on the sign for a now-defunct Indian restaurant in New Haven. What say you?

logo.png

Reaction Score
@August_West I know you’re in Georgia from time to time.

Have you ever been to Mary Mac’s in Atlanta?

It is the Mecca of the beige diet; fried comfort food.

Reaction Score
... I just noticed for the first time the image on the sign for a now-defunct Indian restaurant in New Haven. What say you?
@8893 Defunct, eh? Say no more. Blame it on barstad English colonialism. Must have been good!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
@August_West I know you’re in Georgia from time to time.

Have you ever been to Mary Mac’s in Atlanta?

It is the Mecca of the beige diet; fried comfort food.

I have. Its been AT least 10 years though. Great stuff.

I like it a lot, but for real old time country georgia I gotta say, get out of the city and up 400 for a piece and sit down at the Smith House in Dahlonega.

Its older than Mary Mac's and 1/2 the price and they dont make me choose a few things to serve like Mary macs, they put EVERYTHING on the table. And keep bringing it until they need to call the ambulance.

https://smithhouse.com/

Family Style Weekend Menu
Saturday 11:00 a.m.-8:00p.m.

Sunday 11:00 a.m.-7:30 p.m.

Fried Chicken

Roast Beef

Baked Ham

Fried Okra

Green Beans

Creamed Corn

Macaroni & Cheese

Collard Greens

Mashed Potatoes & Gravy

Homemade Yeast Rolls

Cornbread

Dessert

Adults: $18.99

Child 4-9: $7.95

Child 10-12: $9.95

Because we had family there (Dahlonega) I tend to do more of THAT kind of eating up there instead of in the city. Same with BBQ. there is a place near 400 just north of Cumming that has the best fried okra ive ever had. And hush puppies! And again, you are out of city and its CHEAP like 12 bucks for a combo of chopped brisket, pulled pork, Collard greens, Fried Okra hush puppies and Texas toast. I do love Atlanta food, but I tend to like to go a bit more refined in the city. Out in the sticks is where I find the killer country food at incredible prices.

Reaction Score

I like it a lot, but for real old time country georgia I gotta say, get out of the city and up 400 for a piece and sit down at the Smith House in Dahlonega.

Its older than Mary Mac's and 1/2 the price and they dont make me choose a few things to serve like Mary macs, they put EVERYTHING on the table. And keep bringing it until they need to call the ambulance.

Fried Chicken

Roast Beef

Baked Ham

Fried Okra

Green Beans

Creamed Corn

Macaroni & Cheese

Collard Greens

Mashed Potatoes & Gravy

Homemade Yeast Rolls

Cornbread

Dessert

Because we had family there (Dahlonega) I tend to do more of THAT kind of eating up there instead of in the city. Same with BBQ. there is a place near 400 just north of Cumming that has the best fried okra ive ever had. And hush puppies! And again, you are out of city and its CHEAP like 12 bucks for a combo of chopped brisket, pulled pork, Collard greens, Fried Okra hush puppies and Texas toast. I do love Atlanta food, but I tend to like to go a bit more refined in the city. Out in the sticks is where I find the killer country food at incredible prices.

Man, Dahlonega is the big city.

My wife’s whole family is in Blairsville. Just come to Thanksgiving. There’s no reason for me to go out when I’m up there. I’ll happily eat whatever her Mama or Mimi are cookin’ up.

Reaction Score
Man, Dahlonega is the big city.

My wife’s whole family is in Blairsville. Just come to Thanksgiving. There’s no reason for me to go out when I’m up there. I’ll happily eat whatever her Mama or Mimi are cookin’ up.

FWIW it’s my understanding that Mary Mac’s went through an ownership scuffle and Mary Mac was kicked out of her own kitchen and the quality dipped.

Then, probably about 10-15 years ago there was another ownership change and she was put back in charge and improved the quality before she passed away.

I reccomend giving it another shot the next time you’re in town.

ps: going there tonight, will report back.

Reaction Score
Chicken fried chicken, Mac and cheese, cornbread dressing.

Excellent.

2512003C-11B2-4875-AB83-E5AC7B33C632.jpeg

Fried Chicken

Roast Beef

Baked Ham

Fried Okra

Green Beans

Creamed Corn

Macaroni & Cheese

Collard Greens

Mashed Potatoes & Gravy

Homemade Yeast Rolls

Cornbread

Dessert

I
FWIW it’s my understanding that Mary Mac’s went through an ownership scuffle and Mary Mac was kicked out of her own kitchen and the quality dipped.

Then, probably about 10-15 years ago there was another ownership change and she was put back in charge and improved the quality before she passed away.

I reccomend giving it another shot the next time you’re in town.

ps: going there tonight, will report back.

Reaction Score
@August_West Enjoy the cheat meals. I’ve lost ~85 lbs since my heaviest and most recently 30lbs in the last 6 months eating at the 80/20 ratio. 80% healthy choices, 20% whatever I want. Sure it slows down progress a bit but overall I’m very happy and in a good place with food mentally.

Weight loss is all about sustainability and eating around this split keeps me sane and helps avoid cravings + binging. Keep doing you man! You’re doing great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom