OT: US Open | The Boneyard

OT: US Open

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Federer goes down to John Millman in four sets in the 4th...I was shocked to see him make as many unforced errors as he did. I've been pretty vocal in the past about wanting to have new blood finally break through at the Grand Slam level, but I'd be shocked if this didn't end up as a Nadal-Djokovic final.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I love Roger and wanted him to win.

That said- I am now cheering for Del Potro. Always liked him. I like Cilic too but he's too mentally weak to pull it off IMO

Drew

Reaction Score
Nadal and Thiem headed to a Fifth on ESPN. Been just phenomenal tennis. Big hitting back and forth all night.

Serena beat Pliskova in straights and appears set for a shot at the title and she shouldn’t face a big challenge in the semis. Would be cool to see her versus Keys in the final

Reaction Score
Not a huge tennis guy but that's the best match I've seen since the McEnroe days when I watched more. And yeah I'm tired but that was some great stuff. Thiem is a bulldog and Nadal is who he is, a great one.

Why did I stay up so long?:eek:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not a huge tennis guy but that's the best match I've seen since the McEnroe days when I watched more. And yeah I'm tired but that was some great stuff. Thiem is a bulldog and Nadal is who he is, a great one.

Why did I stay up so long?:eek:

Someone mentioned McEnroe? Now that's tennis I'd watch. Sport has become boring for me since those days.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned McEnroe? Now that's tennis I'd watch. Sport has become boring for me since those days.
If you don't like tennis now than you probably just don't like the sport. Tennis fans are ridiculously spoiled now with the 3 greatest players ever all still playing.

Reaction Score
If you don't like tennis now than you probably just don't like the sport. Tennis fans are ridiculously spoiled now with the 3 greatest players ever all still playing.
Where would you rank Sampras?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Federer goes down to John Millman in four sets in the 4th...I was shocked to see him make as many unforced errors as he did. I've been pretty vocal in the past about wanting to have new blood finally break through at the Grand Slam level, but I'd be shocked if this didn't end up as a Nadal-Djokovic final.
We'll get new blood soon. Especially Thiem.
But for now, a race for the most majors ever between arguably 3 of the 5 greats of all time in the same era is pretty cool as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I miss the entertainment that existed then. The players are great, but there is less showmanship, less artistry. It started with Sampras, who was a lifeless robot.

Reaction Score
The fact that he is still playing well at 50 is impressive. (I know...but still, he is ancient from a tennis perspective).

Reaction Score
I miss the entertainment that existed then. The players are great, but there is less showmanship, less artistry. It started with Sampras, who was a lifeless robot.
I hear that but it's pretty much the case across the board in sports, there are no more characters.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I hear that but it's pretty much the case across the board in sports, there are no more characters.

In an individual sport like Tennis or Golf, the effect is enhanced. I loved McEnroe screaming at the referees, challenging them to do better (and he was mostly right). Boris Becker was fun. Agassi was fun. Connors was obnoxious. Borg was perfectly cast as the stoic alternative to McEnroe.

Reaction Score
In an individual sport like Tennis or Golf, the effect is enhanced. I loved McEnroe screaming at the referees, challenging them to do better (and he was mostly right). Boris Becker was fun. Agassi was fun. Connors was obnoxious. Borg was perfectly cast as the stoic alternative to McEnroe.
My biggest beef with tennis is the style. The tech has made the game all about power. Very little strategy anymore

Reaction Score
My biggest beef with tennis is the style. The tech has made the game all about power. Very little strategy anymore
Tons of strategy in crafting a point but definitely less serve and volley as there used to be.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Tons of strategy in crafting a point but definitely less serve and volley as there used to be.

That is a big part of my complaint. I don't really like to watch power baseline tennis. The women today serve probably harder than Connors and Ashe did. The most beautiful thing in tennis was McEnroe swinging somebody way wide off the court and then simply tapping their helpless return in for a winner.

Wimbledon 2012: John McEnroe has hope serve-and-volley may return | Kevin Mitchell

Reaction Score
That is a big part of my complaint. I don't really like to watch power baseline tennis. The women today serve probably harder than Connors and Ashe did. The most beautiful thing in tennis was McEnroe swinging somebody way wide off the court and then simply tapping their helpless return in for a winner.

Wimbledon 2012: John McEnroe has hope serve-and-volley may return | Kevin Mitchell
To each his own. I've always loved the baseline game, to me there is nothing better than Djokovic and Nadal slugging it out in grueling point after point pushing each other all over the court. There was beauty in McEnroe's volleying but I don't really miss the serve and either an ace or serve and volley and the point is over at Wimbledon. I love the long rally.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I loved McEnroe screaming at the referees, challenging them to do better (and he was mostly right).

I always hated the McEnroe enablers. Calling his poor sportsmanship a sign of being a perfectionist.

Drew

Reaction Score

Serena vs Osaka in the finals. Serena should win this easily. What a great story for her. Inches closer to the all time record over Court.

Del Potro v Nadal tomorrow will be one for the ages

Reaction Score
Inches closer to the all time record over Court.
Meh. Doesn't have any meaning for me.
Serena is so far and away the best female tennis player of all time, most majors or whatever don't matter at this point.
She very well may be the best female athlete of all time. I can't think of another who has been so dominant for so long.

Her and Federer are just ridiculous.

Reaction Score

Serena vs Osaka in the finals. Serena should win this easily. What a great story for her. Inches closer to the all time record over Court.

Del Potro v Nadal tomorrow will be one for the ages

I don't see Serena easily beating Osaka.

Reaction Score
The Open has been HEAVILY effected by the heat and humidity so far. I think a factor in Federer losing and even had Djokovic looking fatigued at times while dominating. Despite the heat, the tennis has been mostly great. Cooler weekend temps should be good news for older players/favorites. So I'll take Nadal to win men's, Serena seems a no-brainer even at 85% her semifinal wasn't close.

Reaction Score
The Open has been HEAVILY effected by the heat and humidity so far. I think a factor in Federer losing and even had Djokovic looking fatigued at times while dominating. Despite the heat, the tennis has been mostly great. Cooler weekend temps should be good news for older players/favorites. So I'll take Nadal to win men's, Serena seems a no-brainer even at 85% her semifinal wasn't close.
Had a feeling Del Potro would win. At his best Del Potro is as good or better than anyone, it's a real shame his career has been marred by injury. Djokovic is back to being the best in the world IMO but Del Potro can certainly beat him.

Reaction Score
When will the Americans have someone respectable on the men's side. Roddick was the last one and he wasn't even that good

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom