OT: US Open | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: US Open

Reaction Score
It’s subjective and IF men swear 10 X as much of course they are penalized more. The bias exists in that we all loved & revere McEnroe, Connors & Nastase but name one beloved female loudmouth?

I’ve no idea how much either sex swears or abuses officials on court these days. It could be they swear equally but based on, hmm I don’t know everything else in the world, I’m guessing men swear more.

And I just know that one official has a hair trigger & made himself part of the story when there were better ways to officiate.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It’s subjective and IF men swear 10 X as much of course they are penalized more. The bias exists in that we all loved & revere McEnroe, Connors & Nastase but name one beloved female loudmouth?

I’ve no idea how much either sex swears or abuses officials on court these days. It could be they swear equally but based on, hmm I don’t know everything else in the world, I’m guessing men swear more.

And I just know that one official has a hair trigger & made himself part of the story when there were better ways to officiate.

Ramos has an impeccable record. Far better than Serena's record for on court behavior. She seems to think that every time she's been penalized it was the umpires fault. As for McEnroe and Connors - everyone remembers their flare ups, but the truth is they received many penalties on court, along with suspensions and fines.

Reaction Score

Billie Jean King, Rosey Casals, Martina, Jennifer Capriati, Andrea Jaeger. Janet Newberry was known for her mouth also, her victory over Navratilova at the us open (can't remember the year, think it was 76) was memorable. That being said, I was at that match on one of the outer courts, and Newberry comforted Martina who was crying uncontrolably immediately after the match.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s good historical detail. I’m a casual fan and don’t remember anything bubbling up to the surface other than Billy Jean (vaguely) and Martina, both of whom I was biased against at the time because they were lesbian. I just think this is the same shot.

It’s way over now for the Open, USTA & women’s tennis have admitted a wrong, looking in to rule or policy changes. But defenders of the white male old school establishment are still ranting at Serena. To me seems to be solely protecting turf. The fact that Serena was losing and lost more easily should make it logistically less offensive. Yet I think it enrages more than if Serena had rallied & won (I.e the pro Serena reaction makes that plausibly, WE MUST SQUASH this now), possibly subliminally motivated to make certain the minority’s can’t rise up.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That’s good historical detail. I’m a casual fan and don’t remember anything bubbling up to the surface other than Billy Jean (vaguely) and Martina, both of whom I was biased against at the time because they were lesbian. I just think this is the same shot.

It’s way over now for the Open, USTA & women’s tennis have admitted a wrong, looking in to rule or policy changes. But defenders of the white male old school establishment are still ranting at Serena. To me seems to be solely protecting turf. The fact that Serena was losing and lost more easily should make it logistically less offensive. Yet I think it enrages more than if Serena had rallied & won (I.e the pro Serena reaction makes that plausibly, WE MUST SQUASH this now), possibly subliminally motivated to make certain the minority’s can’t rise up.

What wrong has the USTA and women's tennis admitted to? That's news to me.

I'm confident the rule will be changed by the end of the year. They'll wait so it doesn't look like they're reacting to Serena's incident.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What wrong has the USTA and women's tennis admitted to? That's news to me.

I'm confident the rule will be changed by the end of the year. They'll wait so it doesn't look like they're reacting to Serena's incident.
Here's a link to the 3 'authority's statements, fallout discussion of what to do next. I think you are right to be confident that they'll be rule changes or some policy/training initiative. Admitting a 'wrong' might have not been exact right word choice, how about due to the clvsterfork that effectively ended the US Open via umpiring vs tennis play, various invested authorities understand it'd be a good idea to make changes such that major tennis match outcomes are determined by playing tennis.

https://deadspin.com/like-the-rest-of-us-tenniss-governing-bodies-are-argui-1828942694

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Here's a link to the 3 'authority's statements, fallout discussion of what to do next. I think you are right to be confident that they'll be rule changes or some policy/training initiative. Admitting a 'wrong' might have not been exact right word choice, how about due to the clvsterfork that effectively ended the US Open via umpiring vs tennis play, various invested authorities understand it'd be a good idea to make changes such that major tennis match outcomes are determined by playing tennis.

https://deadspin.com/like-the-rest-of-us-tenniss-governing-bodies-are-argui-1828942694

I agree with the judgement call comment. Had she not, on multiple occasions, previously escalated her behavior, including a threat of violent to a line judge, the "thief" tantrum would likely have been over looked.

She has repeatedly been given the benefit of the doubt. She no longer deserves such consideration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom