OT: US Open | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: US Open

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Meh, 'scumbag' is too much. She's more a petulant, entitled child* than anyone actually bad. Scumbag's assault their wives.

*not sexist, Mcenroe was too.

Read my tag line under the username.

I admit to having a low bar to disliking people.

Reaction Score
Serena's actions were themselves 100% in the wrong. The only thing compelling me to defend her in any sense is that I don't find this to be a fair penalty. The Nalbandian example was extreme, but there's plenty of evidence of men's tour players berating officials and facing a lot less in the consequences department.
Name another Major final where anyone, male or female ever did something like this. Doing what she did at center Court of the US Open final is just crazy, and ruining the day for Osaka the 20 yr old champion. The $17,000 fine she got was not nearly enough.

Reaction Score
I'd say it's pretty similar, but they are better at integration (these days that is). They have the same old school yabos who are similar to our southern redneck in views of the world.

Australians are looser with satire, and far better at handling controversial jokes than Americans imo.
Yabos? Hah, let's keep mammary especially the old school version out of the discussion. Now, bogans (Aussie rednecks) clearly bear some similarities with US rednecks. Often even less refined, yet certainly similar.

On the other hand, Aussie satire and handling of controversial jokes benefits from boat loads of Irish prisoners imprisoned by the barstad English, some of the unusual positive ironies of English colonialism, and a comparably smallish population. And, Aussies generally handle self-deprecating and ironic humor better than many US Americans. Well, except when a few too many are frequently absolutely piss drunk.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yabos? Hah, let's keep mammary especially the old school version out of the discussion. Now, bogans (Aussie rednecks) clearly bear some similarities with US rednecks. Often even less refined, yet certainly similar.

On the other hand, Aussie satire surely and handling of controversial jokes benefits from boat loads of Irish prisoners imprisoned by the barstad English, some of the unusual positive ironies of English colonialism, and a comparably smallish population. And, Aussies generally handle self-deprecating and ironic humor better than many US Americans. Well, except when a few too many are frequently absolutely piss drunk.

Not sure what you're getting at with the first bit but, "Something that is yabo is usually unrefined, gigantic, coarse, childish, colorful, self-conscious, permanent, loud, superficial, vulgar, snobbish, boorish"

'Bogan' as traditionally used, yes, but it is a weird crossover term these days. It also includes groups like Chavs, and ethnic groups like Lebanese where there is racial issues of their own.

Reaction Score
And, of course, we get ...
... a stomping Mr T pictured in a sort of tennis skirt. Oh Aussies ...

iu

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Name another Major final where anyone, male or female ever did something like this. Doing what she did at center Court of the US Open final is just crazy, and ruining the day for Osaka the 20 yr old champion. The $17,000 fine she got was not nearly enough.
You are wrong. It is an easy search, first of two descriptions below from a final, way more extreme and the penalty was a point vs a game. Link is to general verbal abuse not necessarily in majors or finals but certainly ample evidence that abuse by males is held to different standard.

"Five-time major champion Martina Hingis held a 6-4, 2-0 lead on legend Steffi Graf in the 1999 French Open final when she disputed a call and became angry when she thought the umpire checked the wrong mark. Hingis walked over to Graf’s side of the net, kept complaining and refused to play until talking to a tournament referee. That move backfired too – Hingis was assessed a point penalty – and the meltdown was on. Graf came back with ease, winning her 22nd and final Grand Slam title before retiring one month later. Hingis would never win another.

From the US Open (not final, but 4th round of same tourney):
"With all of New York on his side, the irascible, 39-year-old Connors was at another make-or-break moment in his storybook run at the 1991 Open. Trailing by a set, the birthday boy hit an overhead that was called out by the chair, bringing a set point for Aaron Krickstein that could have given the youngster a two set lead. Knowing he had the full support of the crowd, Connors set in on the chair umpire, delivering a bullying verbal beatdown intended to win points with an already-rabid crowd. Connors won the next three points to even the match, went off again on the umpire later in the match when his back was against the wall and, of course, beat Krickstein in a match that’s become a replay staple during U.S. Open rain delays for a quarter-century."

The Worst Tantrums of All Time in Men's Tennis

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're getting at with the first bit but, "Something that is yabo is usually unrefined, gigantic, coarse, childish, colorful, self-conscious, permanent, loud, superficial, vulgar, snobbish, boorish"
Alas, a British English dictionary definition of yob, yobbo, or yobboes. Aussies being Aussie, they likely spell it incorrectly as yabo. Nope, not the same as the Yank slang yabo(s) as in female pectorial protrusions. Important info! ;)

Reaction Score
Yeah guys have gotten suspended in the NBA finals (Draymond recently, the Knicks players I think way back) but never before has something happened DURING a decisive game where points are put up on the scoreboard that had such a deterministic affect on the outcome. At 5-3 it was effectively over and that's just not the officials call to make and there is absolutely no reason he couldn't have swallowed his whistle and pride.

The fact that 'coaching' had NEVER in his career been called on Williams' coach before and it was called in a championship match is a really important point. That totally unprecedented call (at least for him, not sure if there's ever been a coaching penalty assessed before in a Grand Slam event final?) precipitated this mess and this is extremely material because it literally had NOTHING to do with Williams behavior. The FIRST of just 3 infractions assessed to Williams did not even involve her. And the official easily could have looked the other way when she smashed her racket (also true that she shouldn't have done that) AND the official should have warned her that if she continued her lecture he would assess a game penalty. This is officiating common sense at a remedial level and any and every sport encourages that so that the players can decide the thing.

The fact that we could hear William's audio and she didn't call him a forkin thief or a sumabeach cheating liar scumbucket (in honor of Burt & Jackie Gleason) illustrates that is was far from intolerable abuse. If you were at the stadium and in the 30th row, you'd assume she must have laid into him with every epitaph in the book to get that penalty.

We all revere McEnroe and Connor for their fiery displays back in the day, culturally it is simply harder for us to take or understand that behavior from a woman and even tolerate much less celebrate it. Yes Williams behavior was bad, but it is possible for that to be true whilst what the official did be far worse and for the official's implicit bias to be embedded in his actions. Wake up.

I don't think there's anything wrong to castigate Serena Williams for her behavior and for the demonstration WHILE losing; that was a big part of this.

HOWEVER, there is no reason that umpire should do decisive matches going forward. Sure, Dennis Rodman, Draymond Green yada yada. But there is no way LeBron James (and she does have that pedigree in this sport) gets this trivial treatment in the Final crucial match. Osaka would have finished it out ... kicking Serena's butt. Carlos Ramos inserted this petty crap into it.

the Q

Reaction Score
I don't think there's anything wrong to castigate Serena Williams for her behavior and for the demonstration WHILE losing; that was a big part of this.

HOWEVER, there is no reason that umpire should do decisive matches going forward. Sure, Dennis Rodman, Draymond Green yada yada. But there is no way LeBron James (and she does have that pedigree in this sport) gets this trivial treatment in the Final crucial match. Osaka would have finished it out ... kicking Serena's butt. Carlos Ramos inserted this petty crap into it.

That preferential treatment is a major problem though. Maybe they should.

You’re either a sport or you’re sports entertainment.

Can’t be both.

The NBA and nfl picked one side.

Baseball typically the other.

I hope tennis follows Baseball...just like I do every other sport.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That preferential treatment is a major problem though. Maybe they should.

You’re either a sport or you’re sports entertainment.

Can’t be both.

The NBA and nfl picked one side.

Baseball typically the other.

I hope tennis follows Baseball...just like I do every other sport.

20 years from now, you’ll be too angry about what you call the “entertainment” aspect to follow any sports. Enjoy getting your fix from game shows.

the Q

Reaction Score
20 years from now, you’ll be too angry about what you call the “entertainment” aspect to follow any sports. Enjoy getting your fix from game shows.

20 years?

I’ve alreay dumped the nfl and NBA.

Baseball is beautiful and pure. It’s amazing.

I’d rather watch pro wrestling than that either the nfl or NBA.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
20 years?

I’ve alreay dumped the nfl and NBA.

Baseball is beautiful and pure. It’s amazing.

I’d rather watch pro wrestling than that either the nfl or NBA.

Your loss.

Reaction Score
Your loss.
Ironically baseball's failure to understand it is entertainment and the games don't need to be 3 freakin' + hours long is part of why these days I joined the throng that rarely watch until the playoffs. Used to be my favorite sport, but the failure to adapt makes it painful viewing, my kids will not watch if I put it on while they are in the room.
But on the plus side (?!) not many of their players take a stance on social issues.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Ironically baseball's failure to understand it is entertainment and the games don't need to be 3 freakin' + hours long is part of why these days I joined the throng that rarely watch until the playoffs. Used to be my favorite sport, but the failure to adapt makes it painful viewing, my kids will not watch if I put it on while they are in the room.
But on the plus side (?!) not many of their players take a stance on social issues.

I agree with you in large part. I love baseball on its merits and am one of the few who doesn’t mind the length of games, but I am saddened to see its comparative failure to advertise itself to younger groups of fans and ensure its long-term success.

Yeah, it seems to me that its players’ social views are what’s drawing people like those ITT to follow it at the expense of other sports.

the Q

Reaction Score

I agree with you in large part. I love baseball on its merits and am one of the few who doesn’t mind the length of games, but I am saddened to see its comparative failure to advertise itself to younger groups of fans and ensure its long-term success.

Yeah, it seems to me that its players’ social views are what’s drawing people like those ITT to follow it at the expense of other sports.

I love Baseball.

I played in college. I was then an agent.

I subscribe to Baseball websites and some of my favorite memories are staying up with my dad for late games and the trade deadline (hate hate hate the 4pm deadline we have now).

Point is I’m not the casual fan like i was for those other sports.

That said I agree with you. Baseballs marketing needs work.

Who is the face of the game?

Trout is the best player but how many casual fans could point him out on the street?

Everyone knows who Lebron is. Who Brady and Rodgers are. And those latter 2 weak freaking helmets.

But thanks to the amazing technology of replay and questec and that Ilk, Baseball lacks the blatant favoritism towards certain players that NBA and nfl continue to insult the worlds intelligence by denying they exist. That alone makes Baseball superior.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Baseball has an anachronistic (read 'fascist') social media highlights policy.

Fans don't engage without social media anymore, and the lack of ability to comment, critique, meme, and mash up highlights really hurts the sports marketability.

the Q

Reaction Score

Fans don't engage without social media anymore, and the lack of ability to comment, critique, meme, and mash up highlights really hurts the sports marketability.

I don’t do much social media so I haven’t followed this issue.

What do you mean?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I love Baseball.

I played in college. I was then an agent.

I subscribe to Baseball websites and some of my favorite memories are staying up with my dad for late games and the trade deadline (hate hate hate the 4pm deadline we have now).

Point is I’m not the casual fan like i was for those other sports.

That said I agree with you. Baseballs marketing needs work.

Who is the face of the game?

Trout is the best player but how many casual fans could point him out on the street?

Everyone knows who Lebron is. Who Brady and Rodgers are. And those latter 2 weak freaking helmets.

But thanks to the amazing technology of replay and questec and that Ilk, Baseball lacks the blatant favoritism towards certain players that NBA and nfl continue to insult the worlds intelligence by denying they exist. That alone makes Baseball superior.

Baseball makes for better arguments because of all the advanced metrics crap that's out there. You want to tout your guy's superiority via OPS? I'm coming at you with wxOBA to prove he's just lucky and due a regression!

I liked hoops into my 20s - was a huge ABA and Dr J fan at the start of when the NBA became a circus. Then I stopped caring once it became a total circus with the Rodman and AI era. I can appreciate what LeBron and Curry et.al. can do. I just don't care. I found other things to do with my time and I'm not going back.

With the NFL, it had less to do with the play on the field than the culture and the mess that became football broadcasting and all the fantasy crap (and I played fantasy for a decade). Give me the old guys every day. Can't stand the shouting over each other, the esoteric breakdowns of meaningless crap, the Gruden-esque obfuscation of what should be pretty simple crap and the whole "warrior" b.s. mentality. It's a damned sport. It used to be fun. I risked significant injury playing it. It's now a chore to sit through. It's really amazing how much you can done on Sundays once you stop caring about the NFL.

That said, I'll waste a whole Saturday watching football if the right slate of games is on.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Weird... I'm regularly on a Pirates forum where all sorts of images are posted right after a play happens. Sometimes even with Michael Bay sfx!

the Q

Reaction Score
Baseball makes for better arguments because of all the advanced metrics crap that's out there. You want to tout your guy's superiority via OPS? I'm coming at you with wxOBA to prove he's just lucky and due a regression!

I liked hoops into my 20s - was a huge ABA and Dr J fan at the start of when the NBA became a circus. Then I stopped caring once it became a total circus with the Rodman and AI era. I can appreciate what LeBron and Curry et.al. can do. I just don't care. I found other things to do with my time and I'm not going back.

With the NFL, it had less to do with the play on the field than the culture and the mess that became football broadcasting and all the fantasy crap (and I played fantasy for a decade). Give me the old guys every day. Can't stand the shouting over each other, the esoteric breakdowns of meaningless crap, the Gruden-esque obfuscation of what should be pretty simple crap and the whole "warrior" b.s. mentality. It's a damned sport. It used to be fun. I risked significant injury playing it. It's now a chore to sit through. It's really amazing how much you can done on Sundays once you stop caring about the NFL.

That said, I'll waste a whole Saturday watching football if the right slate of games is on.

Google Image Result for https://media.giphy.com/media/l1ughbsd9qXz2s9SE/giphy.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom