OT: US Open | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: US Open

Reaction Score
@Stainmaster

Think I've only seen himplay once. Know he's very young but didn't strike me as someone who will be a legitimate threat.

What do you see in his game that you like?

Reaction Score
My eyes are on Tiafoe.
I just don't see it with him or really for anyone who is on the scene now. As long as Djokovic, Nadal, and De Potro are healthy and Fed is still playing I don't see anyone winning anything for several years. Dominic Thiem seems like the only one really capable of challenging.

Reaction Score
I don't see any of the young, American men breaking through.

The women's side is strong, although it's too bad the USTA whiffed on Osaka. Love her game and post-game interviews.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
@Stainmaster

Think I've only seen himplay once. Know he's very young but didn't strike me as someone who will be a legitimate threat.

What do you see in his game that you like?

I think the serve is going to get even stronger over the next couple of years if he trains the way someone his age should. It's already quite fast for someone his size.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I just don't see it with him or really for anyone who is on the scene now. As long as Djokovic, Nadal, and De Potro are healthy and Fed is still playing I don't see anyone winning anything for several years. Dominic Thiem seems like the only one really capable of challenging.

In general, I think sometime around 2020 we'll start to see a transitional period. Thiem will definitely have his chance to win a few majors at that point, Anderson would too if he were several years younger. Longer term my sights are set on Tsitsipas (if he can keep his cool) and perhaps Shapovalov.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned McEnroe? Now that's tennis I'd watch. Sport has become boring for me since those days.

I'd love the see a tournament of champions with players having to play with a wood racquet.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned McEnroe? Now that's tennis I'd watch. Sport has become boring for me since those days.
I miss those days too, tennis was fun to watch then. McEnroe, Borg, Connors, Edberg, Llendl, Roscoe Tanner, Mats Wilander, Vitas Geruliatus were all fun to watch. Also miss Bud Collins, Donald Dell and Barry Mackay who teamed together on PBS to broadcast all the summer satellite tournaments, every week, in the US that led up to the Open.

Reaction Score
MHm68Ai5-23188828.jpg

I did 3 courts for 2016 US Open. I was called to do a couple for this year's tournament but had to turn down because schedule was too packed

Reaction Score
Bracket for 1966 national indoor championships

Obviously Billie Jean king was the winner

Attachments

• 20150919_110349.jpg
    20150919_110349.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 37

temery

What?
Reaction Score
In an individual sport like Tennis or Golf, the effect is enhanced. I loved McEnroe screaming at the referees, challenging them to do better (and he was mostly right). Boris Becker was fun. Agassi was fun. Connors was obnoxious. Borg was perfectly cast as the stoic alternative to McEnroe.

McEnroe was rarely right when he challenged line calls.

Reaction Score
Don't remember the match but how did Nishikori beat Djokovic a few years ago in the US Open semifinals? He doesn't even look like he belongs on the same court as him.

Reaction Score
All 4 semifinals were incredibly disappointing and noncompetitive.

Reaction Score
All 4 semifinals were incredibly disappointing and noncompetitive.
Both finals should be really good. Djoker Del Potro has a chance to be epic, they are both on their games.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

he's really struggled in the singles department which has been disappointing but good for Jack Sock. And Mike Bryan is an absolute animal on the doubles circuit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also miss Bud Collins, Donald Dell and Barry Mackay who teamed together on PBS to broadcast all the summer satellite tournaments, every week, in the US that led up to the Open.

Monday Night Tennis! There were a bunch of good doubles teams back then, too. I can't stand Chris Fowler on tennis.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
he's really struggled in the singles department which has been disappointing but good for Jack Sock.

That guy needs to put on some big-boy shorts and quit being such a p---y.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Monday Night Tennis! There were a bunch of good doubles teams back then, too. I can't stand Chris Fowler on tennis.
wait really? I think him and McEnroe are incredible together. What is it you don't like about him?

Reaction Score

Yes, there were. The doubles team that I remember best was Eddie Dibbs and Harold Solomon. Bud Collins used to refer to them as "The Bagel Twins". Most of those satellite tournaments were on Har Tru back then, except for Newport which was on grass and a couple high profile ones were on Deco Turf 2.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes, there were. The doubles team that I remember best was Eddie Dibbs and Harold Solomon.

The team I remember winning a bunch of times was Raul Ramirez and Brian Gottfried. Those guys and Bob Hewitt and Frew McMillen. The guy that had a 2-handed backhand and forehand.

Reaction Score
The team I remember winning a bunch of times was Raul Ramirez and Brian Gottfried. Those guys and Bob Hewitt and Frew McMillen. The guy that had a 2-handed backhand and forehand.
Lol. Yes, remember them well. Gottfried was a great singles player as well, and IIRC many of his matches against Bjorn Borg were not at all one sided. I will never forget watching Gottfried destroy Borg 6-1 6-1 on an outdoor hard court during the late 70's. Also remember them playing a titanic 5 setter at the Open where Gottfried won the first two sets and Borg came back and won the next three. Enjoyed watching those two play because their styles were so different.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom