OT: URI head coaching search | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: URI head coaching search

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I recall reading the URI ad really liked Dooley before hiring Hurley. He hasn’t hurt his case either.

Reaction Score
That’s awful the kid gets s needs scholarship to an IVY league school instead of Illinois and that’s a bad thing.
There are no Ivy League sports scholarships. Sometimes they can get you some academic dough, but it’s usually not 100% and you have to be pretty bright to get that money.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Initial thought...It’s only been a week and change since DH left, so they’re likely just taking their time and being thorough before hiring Cox

Secondary thought a few moments later....If Cox was the guy all along, why drag this out? Also, if you’re Cox, are you thrilled that they’re flirting with other options?

Finally I arrive at this...Boy, Harris sure would look good in our front court rotation

Reaction Score
There are no Ivy League sports scholarships. Sometimes they can get you some academic dough, but it’s usually not 100% and you have to be pretty bright to get that money.
The Ivy League schools give need based scholarships that can cover most of the cost. I know of a football player who went to Yale and paid next to nothing. Also know of another Yale player from a fairly well off family and the parents are paying almost all the cost. It just depends on the situation.
If financial need exists the Ivy League schools are swimming in available endowment money.

Reaction Score
I think you're referring to something that hasn't been done in a long time. None of the Ivies give academic merit money. They give financial need based assistance and admissions is need blind (i.e. your financial assistance needs don't factor into admissions). Most of the elite colleges and universities do that now.

Some of the Ivies, Harvard, Yale and Princeton are 3 I know of, give financial assistance on a sliding scale depending on your family's income. Below a certain threshold and you pay nothing.

How Ivy League Admissions Work

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Initial thought...It’s only been a week and change since Coach Hurley left, so they’re likely just taking their time and being thorough before hiring Cox

Secondary thought a few moments later....If Cox was the guy all along, why drag this out? Also, if you’re Cox, are you thrilled that they’re flirting with other options?

Finally I arrive at this...Boy, Harris sure would look good in our front court rotation
See, it's a process.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Chance to compete in a good conference, get great exposure, compete for championships, and still get a great degree at the many prestigious P6 schools>Ivy League Degree.

JMO

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Why makes everyone want Cox to join the staff?

Reaction Score
Why makes everyone want Cox to join the staff?
Fishy answered this best a while ago:
Excellent recruiter - strong AAU and high school connections. Bright - spent several years as an assistant principal. Master’s degree. He’s been an associate head coach at RU and URI. He filled in as head coach for three games at Rutgers and went 3-0 which will likely land him in the RU hall of fame.

But basically, he has terrific experience. Coached at Archbishop Carroll. Was AP/AD at St. John’s Prep. Coached at Pitt, Georgetown, Rutgers and URI.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Mostly because hell likely bring a recruit or two. Has a lot of experience as an assistant

There are other good options, but not too many
Cox has a lot of experience, I will say that, and D1 experience at levels higher than URI so overall he would be a plus on that front
But if the only reason is to perhaps bring on some of his URI recruits? Nah
Not at all sure those were any better than the 3 UConn probably lost
I get they may fit the DH style of play argument but when looking at plenty of URI games - his offensive coaching is very weak - again it's URI/ A-10 - he's a few steps up now and looking to bring UConn back to the good ole BE days - that's when UConn was perennial Top 10 - it's going to take a lot better than URI type players. He needs to be looking beyond. If he is worth the $3Mil per, there is no time for baby step excuses. The AC job(s) posting has closed, make the announcement tomorrow and have some recruitment announcements by Friday. He's had enough time to have been on that timeline.
I get it he's a tough guy and has proven he can get players to run through walls - that is great, that's what UConn needs. But he needs those type players - bigger, stronger and tougher, than KO brought in or DH had at URI. Time is ticking........

Reaction Score
Cox has a lot of experience, I will say that, and D1 experience at levels higher than URI so overall he would be a plus on that front
I get they may fit the Coach Hurley style of play argument but when looking at plenty of URI games - his offensive coaching is very weak - again it's URI/ A-10 - he's a few steps up now and looking to bring UConn back to the good ole BE days - that's when UConn was perennial Top 10 - it's going to take a lot better than URI type players. He needs to be looking beyond. If he is worth the $3Mil per, there is no time for baby step excuses. The AC job(s) posting has closed, make the announcement tomorrow and have some recruitment announcements by Friday. He's had enough time to have been on that timeline.
I get it he's a tough guy and has proven he can get players to run through walls - that is great, that's what UConn needs. But he needs those type players - bigger, stronger and tougher, than KO brought in or Coach Hurley had at URI. Time is ticking...

He's got to 5pm Friday to make something happen or I'm done with him!

Reaction Score
I get they may fit the Coach Hurley style of play argument but when looking at plenty of URI games - his offensive coaching is very weak - again it's URI/ A-10 - he's a few steps up now and looking to bring UConn back to the good ole BE days - that's when UConn was perennial Top 10 - it's going to take a lot better than URI type players. He needs to be looking beyond. If he is worth the $3Mil per, there is no time for baby step excuses. The AC job(s) posting has closed, make the announcement tomorrow and have some recruitment announcements by Friday. He's had enough time to have been on that timeline.
I get it he's a tough guy and has proven he can get players to run through walls - that is great, that's what UConn needs. But he needs those type players - bigger, stronger and tougher, than KO brought in or Coach Hurley had at URI. Time is ticking...
Another fail on so many levels. It's hard to believe this isn't a parody account.

Reaction Score

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 11.37.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 11.37.25 AM.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 193

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Lol he's been the coach for a week

Reaction Score
Hurley even said in his presser he’ll be waiting to make coaching announcements until after the URI head coach domino falls. It’s clear if Cox gets URI he’s not coming here and neither would any URI recruits.

Reaction Score
We could make the sweet sixteen the next three years in a row and gtcam will still complain and say we should have kept Ollie because he won a championship. I don't know why anyone responds to him anymore.

Reaction Score
I just can not believe that UCONN has to hold off with coaching hires and recruiting at this super valuable time cause we are waiting on URI. That’s actually pretty bad..

We are being held up by URI.... Think about it..

Reaction Score
How long does it take to hire a coach? Wrap this #&$@ up URI.

Reaction Score
How long does it take to hire a coach? Wrap this #&$@ up URI.
The URI athletic director said he’d name a new coach after the final four is over so likely Tuesday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom