OT: URI head coaching search | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: URI head coaching search

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
4 days later, Xavier promoted 10-year Xavier assistant coach Travis Steele to head coach.
If the guy already on your bench is the guy you want, you make it happen ASAP.

And that 4 days is merely a reflection of the time it took to put together a deal that satisfied both parties.

Reaction Score
URI is a public school and state law requires the job to be posted for ten business days. Just following the law. Cox will be named head coach tomorrow FYI. He will ratain Boswell as an assistant from inside sources.

Reaction Score
URI is a public school and state law requires the job to be posted for ten business days. Just following the law. Cox will be named head coach tomorrow FYI. He will ratain Boswell as an assistant from inside sources.

Not sure Cox/URI is something to bank on at this point...I know I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it....

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Any chance their board has a 250 page thread going in anticipation of the hire?

the better question is why this thread wasn't just done in the mega 250 page thread. :)

Reaction Score

sounds like Cox got the job. I feel like they would not call people to tell them they arent getting an offer unless their decided candidate has already been set up to take the job

Reaction Score
So, let's say they call all the rejects, then they call 'the chosen one' and the chosen one says, 'yeah, on second thought, I don't think so....'
Any chance of that happening? Not that I love drama and meltdowns, oh wait...yes, I do....

PS...is there some sort of badge/award you get for reading every post in this thread?

Reaction Score
Not that it really matters, but didn't UConn recently prove the foolishness of hiring someone that had never been a head coach for a major D1 job ? URI can't possibly be silly enough to do the same thing, can they ?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not that it really matters, but didn't UConn recently prove the foolishness of hiring someone that had never been a head coach for a major D1 job ? URI can't possibly be silly enough to do the same thing, can they ?
Meh, different jobs, different levels of scrutiny and expectations.

Reaction Score

Yes, but also the AD has been put in a pretty bad spot.

You can bring in a coach with a history of success (Becker, Dooley), but no matter what happens we know the recruiting class and potentially current guys on the roster are leaving if Cox isn't hired.

That's going to make the job more difficult for the incoming coach and make for a long rebuild.

While losing Hurley hurts URI pretty bad, there is the possibility that Cox can keep the momentum akin to how Ollie kept the ship afloat for UConn during the ban year and winning a National Championship the year thereafter. I bet a lot of guys like Napier and Boatright stayed at UConn because Ollie (who helped recruit those players and was already on the bench) was hired as opposed to an outsider.

The Kevin Ollie saga actually says if anything URI should hire Cox, win a natty, then just fire him right after the parade (kidding on the last part).

The AD has a chance to keep building off of what Hurley created promoting Cox or by hiring a new coach means he wants a full teardown and/or means doesn't believe Cox has any long term sustainability for the program and would only be a 1-2 year flurry of whatever he could produce with what is a relatively talented lineup for the A-10.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yes, but also the AD has been put in a pretty bad spot.

You can bring in a coach with a history of success (Becker, Dooley), but no matter what happens we know the recruiting class and potentially current guys on the roster are leaving if Cox isn't hired.

That's going to make the job more difficult for the incoming coach and make for a long rebuild.

While losing Hurley hurts URI pretty bad, there is the possibility that Cox can keep the momentum akin to how Ollie kept the ship afloat for UConn during the ban year and winning a National Championship the year thereafter. I bet a lot of guys like Napier and Boatright stayed at UConn because Ollie (who helped recruit those players and was already on the bench) was hired as opposed to an outsider.

The Kevin Ollie saga actually says if anything URI should hire Cox, win a natty, then just fire him right after the parade (kidding on the last part).

The AD has a chance to keep building off of what Hurley created promoting Cox or by hiring a new coach means he wants a full teardown and/or means doesn't believe Cox has any long term sustainability for the program and would only be a 1-2 year flurry of whatever he could produce with what is a relatively talented lineup for the A-10.

Tennessee football just hired like their 12th choice to be HC.

I think teams can figure it out if one guys doesn't work out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As a recruiter, this would be ass backward. Where is your contingency plan if there is a decline?
th

"... and then you end up with squid pie,
which was a favorite of St Augustine, by the way.
So that's why I believe that I'd be as good
a basketball coach as I was a football coach."

Ironically enough, I agree with him

Reaction Score

This is almost laughable. Who can believe this Kayata guy has any credible sources? If he's right, as my mother used to say, "this is unbelievable."

Who, in their right mind, would not lock up the preferred candidate before advising the others that another candidate has been chosen?

What if, after calling the ones not chosen, the preferred candidate says "sorry, changed my mind, want more money, want more improvements to the facilities, etc.?"

What does the AD then say when he goes back to the rejected candidates? "Only kidding, you're the guy we wanted all along, but we wanted to see how you handle adversity because as you can now see by the way we conducted this search there's lots more adversity on the way."

Reaction Score
As a recruiter, this would be ass backward. Where is your contingency plan if there is a decline? Makes me think Cox got the nod.
I agree with you
Your duty is to replace the position the rest are curtesy calls.
They can be made within minutes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As a recruiter, this would be ass backward. Where is your contingency plan if there is a decline? Makes me think Cox got the nod.

I think he’ll get the job, but I also think the TV goes doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

The first guy to know who got the job is the guy who got the job.

The others find out after the lawyers have shaken hands.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They'd be dead Rhody!

Reaction Score
I think he’ll get the job, but I also think the TV goes doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

The first guy to know who got the job is the guy who got the job.

The others find out after the lawyers have shaken hands.
Maybe. It is not uncommon practice if you 'know' the person you are hiring will accept to make the bad calls first, then you have the good call at the end. In this case you've discussed and/or buttoned down the economics and other major terms or are 99% confident that it can be done. If not then 1000% first call is to negotiate with first pick.

Regardless I doubt there's often a signed contract (lawyers) before informing the runners up - and sometimes the public. Its a handshake deal at that point and that's why stuff like Josh McDaniels and Billy Donovan (Magic) happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom