OT: URI head coaching search | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: URI head coaching search

Reaction Score
This is almost laughable. Who can believe this Kayata guy has any credible sources? If he's right, as my mother used to say, "this is unbelievable."

Who, in their right mind, would not lock up the preferred candidate before advising the others that another candidate has been chosen?

What if, after calling the ones not chosen, the preferred candidate says "sorry, changed my mind, want more money, want more improvements to the facilities, etc.?"

What does the AD then say when he goes back to the rejected candidates? "Only kidding, you're the guy we wanted all along, but we wanted to see how you handle adversity because as you can now see by the way we conducted this search there's lots more adversity on the way."
The preferred candidate is already locked up whoever he is.

Reaction Score
Not that it really matters, but didn't UConn recently prove the foolishness of hiring someone that had never been a head coach for a major D1 job ? URI can't possibly be silly enough to do the same thing, can they ?

Yes. They absolutely could, and will probably go one better, by naming someone that doesn't even have NBA cred to fall back on either.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
URI hires Cox

The obvious choice is obvious. Congrats to them. However, I hope they lose every recruiting battle to us.

Reaction Score
Yes. They absolutely could, and will probably go one better, by naming someone that doesn't even have NBA cred to fall back on either.
I'm happy for Hurley that his assistant got the job because it gives him additional piece of mind that he left URI in a good place. I think this helps him be ready and IN at UConn. Even if Cox might have been a better assistant than anyone else he'd have come with a heavy heart and desire to be HC asap, so I think this is better for UConn.

URI is really none of our business given that. I think you are ready or you aren't, there is absolutely no Ollie shade to project onto URI - plus if they can get a national championship in Cox's first two years I'd bet they'll take it ;o

Reaction Score
I'm happy for Hurley that his assistant got the job because it gives him additional piece of mind that he left URI in a good place. I think this helps him be ready and IN at UConn. Even if Cox might have been a better assistant than anyone else he'd have come with a heavy heart and desire to be HC asap, so I think this is better for UConn.

URI is really none of our business given that. I think you are ready or you aren't, there is absolutely no Ollie shade to project onto URI - plus if they can get a national championship in Cox's first two years I'd bet they'll take it ;o
Silly. I think you VASTLY underestimate Hurley if you think he'd seriously lose sleep over who they hire next at URI. All things being equal, sure, I have no doubt he'd rather see them do well, rather than not. Even so, I'm sure it meant a lot to Calhoun that his protege was hired at UConn. And yet, I'll be he's lost far more sleep over Ollie's performance the last few years than Hurley would about one stop on his coaching journey.

Furthermore, the only actual comparison between UConn and URI is 1) they're both in New England, and 2) they now share a one time head coach. URI was not, is not, will not, could not win a national championship in the next 2 years. The very idea is laughably ridiculous.

Like I said earlier, it doesn't really matter. I just find it interesting that they're basically doing the exact same thing as UConn that ended horribly. Fact is, if Kevin Ollie had been a head coach at a small school first, either he would have already demonstrated some of his coaching / recruiting weaknesses, or he would have been forced to correct them. Remains to be seen if Cox has what it takes or not. I don't really care because it's not UConn, and if Cox is such a great assistant, doesn't that demonstrate that Dan Hurley knows talent when he sees it ? As such, I'm pretty confident that same guy can hire comparable assistants at UConn.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Silly. I think you VASTLY underestimate Hurley if you think he'd seriously lose sleep over who they hire next at URI...

He only cared to the extent that if Cox wasn't hired at URI, Hurley would have brought him to UConn and gone after some of the recruits loyal to Cox who have already verballed to URI.

Reaction Score
Silly. I think you VASTLY underestimate Hurley if you think he'd seriously lose sleep over who they hire next at URI. All things being equal, sure, I have no doubt he'd rather see them do well, rather than not. Even so, I'm sure it meant a lot to Calhoun that his protege was hired at UConn. And yet, I'll be he's lost far more sleep over Ollie's performance the last few years than Hurley would about one stop on his coaching journey.

Furthermore, the only actual comparison between UConn and URI is 1) they're both in New England, and 2) they now share a one time head coach. URI was not, is not, will not, could not win a national championship in the next 2 years. The very idea is laughably ridiculous.

Like I said earlier, it doesn't really matter. I just find it interesting that they're basically doing the exact same thing as UConn that ended horribly. Fact is, if Kevin Ollie had been a head coach at a small school first, either he would have already demonstrated some of his coaching / recruiting weaknesses, or he would have been forced to correct them. Remains to be seen if Cox has what it takes or not. I don't really care because it's not UConn, and if Cox is such a great assistant, doesn't that demonstrate that Dan Hurley knows talent when he sees it ? As such, I'm pretty confident that same guy can hire comparable assistants at UConn.
Dearest D-rody:
Methinks you doth protest too much. Why is Rhody in your name? Do you work for them, Are you a rodybot?
For frogs sake, the national championship was a joke, hence the ;o. The losing sleep analogy is rich, Hurley said on his way out the door at URI that he really hoped they hired his assistant, so that's the one & only reason I think he cares (to be crystal fin clear, b/c the man himself said so). Every head coach has a first head coaching job, just cuz it happened to 'us' doesn't mean it'll happen to them. Every hire involves some risk and obviously the continuity benefit out-weighed the HC experience in the only 'rody' analysis that matters.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Dearest D-rody:
Methinks you doth protest too much. Why is Rhody in your name? Do you work for them, Are you a rodybot?
For frogs sake, the national championship was a joke, hence the ;o. The losing sleep analogy is rich, Hurley said on his way out the door at URI that he really hoped they hired his assistant, so that's the one & only reason I think he cares (to be crystal fin clear, b/c the man himself said so). Every head coach has a first head coaching job, just cuz it happened to 'us' doesn't mean it'll happen to them. Every hire involves some risk and obviously the continuity benefit out-weighed the HC experience in the only 'rody' analysis that matters.

Everything I've read about and heard from Hurley indicates that his legacy is important to him. He's proud of the job he did building up URI and doesn't want to see it fade. He also cares about the kids he left behind. And he cares about his friend and 'protege' Cox.

I'm quite certain he cared about the hire and wants them to be successful. Them making the 'the right hire' is probably like some form of closure for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everything I've read about and heard from Hurley indicates that his legacy is important to him. He's proud of the job he did building up URI and doesn't want to see it fade. He also cares about the kids he left behind. And he cares about his friend and 'protege' Cox.

I'm quite certain he cared about the hire and wants them to be successful. Them making the 'the right hire' is probably like some form of closure for him.

Dan's an awesome coach and "does" great stuff...but, as the Rhodesters would probably say...wouldn't put a lot of stock in what he "says"...:D
He's NOT losing sleep over who they hire at Rhode Island University....

Reaction Score
Dan's an awesome coach and "does" great stuff...but, as the Rhodesters would probably say...wouldn't put a lot of stock in what he "says"...:D
He's NOT losing sleep over who they hire at Rhode Island University....
No one has expressed any worry that for the past x days Dan Hurley hasn't been sleeping soundly. Are you DRody's alterego? This is a moot post for two people to make:
A. No one ever said he's losing sleep and they hired a coach.
B. Put the Ambien down gently by the side of your workstation.
C. They hired the guy Hurley said he wanted hired so you are literally posting to reassure us for the 2nd time that Dan Hurley, due to his nature, is not worried about something that he cannot possibly be worried about. Capice? ;)

Reaction Score
No one has expressed any worry that for the past x days Dan Hurley hasn't been sleeping soundly. Are you DRody's alterego? This is a moot post for two people to make:
A. No one ever said he's losing sleep and they hired a coach.
B. Put the Ambien down gently by the side of your workstation.
C. They hired the guy Hurley said he wanted hired so you are literally posting to reassure us for the 2nd time that Dan Hurley, due to his nature, is not worried about something that he cannot possibly be worried about. Capice? ;)

Yes sir.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t demean those numbers. If Cox does well at Rhody he can parlay it into a better payday later —perhaps at another school with more resources. For now he got a chance to be a head coach at a relevant basketball school.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t demean those numbers. If Cox does well at Rhody he can parlay it into a better payday later —perhaps at another school with more resources. For now he got a chance to be a head coach at a relevant basketball school.

700 large seems like pretty good starter/1st time HC pay? if you're going the 'compensation commensurate with experience' route?

Reaction Score

I'm demeaning the numbers.

Not demeaning Cox.

Reaction Score
Great points. What we can demean is this concept that moving from URI to UConn is a lateral move. We aren't even in the same universe.

Reaction Score
We can also demean the absurd notion that URI passed on Dooley straight up for Cox. Dooley is clearing double what Cox is getting at URI.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom