OT: UConn chicks | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn chicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These comparisons are just plain dumb. They are different games played by different sexes with a different size ball.. Trying to compare the games is futile. I'm not a huge womens fan but do watch Uconn when they play a competitive team which is about 3-4 times a year in the regular season. Better to enjoy them for what they are.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also a certain Sportswriter called Uconn Ladies "Pretenders not contenders" this year...........

Doesn't a 3OT loss to the #2 team (a game they had in the bag) make that comment sound rather silly, SP?

Reaction Score
Also a certain Sportswriter called Uconn Ladies "Pretenders not contenders" this year...........
Which is silly. They won't beat Baylor this year (although they only lost by 6). They lost in 3OT, and by 1 against ND.

If someone--anyone--takes out Baylor, or if Griner got hurt, UConn is even money for the title. That means they're technically a contender.

Reaction Score
Why are we killing our own? So they are the 3rd best WBB team in the country....Baylor has the most dominant woman maybe ever, ND has a great player and good team. So the UConn women make the Final 4 and next year they will be the favorite to win it all.

2014 Men's and Women's National Champions.....the big to the NCAA!!!!

Reaction Score
I love what Geno and our ladies have done. I really do. But, it's a different game from the men. Entirely different. It's much more like the pick-up hoops I play twice a week and god knows that is some questionable basketball.

On a separate note. I once worked with a guy whose daughter played college basketball and he constantly reminded us that the girls were fundementally better than the guys and metnioned free throw shooting as an example. I asked him if the fact that they were shooting a smaller ball through the same size hoop as the guys might have something to do with it? He absolutly refused to hear that arguement. Not sure if he questions the earth's gravity as well...........

Reaction Score
Why are we killing our own? So they are the 3rd best WBB team in the country....Baylor has the most dominant woman maybe ever, ND has a great player and good team. So the UConn women make the Final 4 and next year they will be the favorite propably to win it all.

Best case scenario--Griner gets two titles and three Final Fours, and had one undefeated season. That's not as good as Maya Moore (2 titles, 4 FFs, 2 undefeated seasons), only marginally better than Candace Parker (2 titles, 2 FFs in only 3 years), and not as good as Taurasi (3 titles, 4 FFs, one undefeated season)

Reaction Score
The smaller ball actually hurts shooting percentage. It was originally put in place because women have smaller hands, but in general, WCBB players don't anymore. (One of Rondo's issues when it comes to shooting.) But the fact that the ball is smaller actually causes more pop outs.

That's actually been one of Geno's biggest talking points for a while. He wants WCBB to switch to the larger ball and he'd like to either place in a back court shot clock or shorten the shot clock from 30 seconds to 24. (I think the second one is a mistake though...)

Reaction Score
Best case scenario--Griner gets two titles and three Final Fours, and had one undefeated season. That's not as good as Maya Moore (2 titles, 4 FFs, 2 undefeated seasons), only marginally better than Candace Parker (2 titles, 2 FFs in only 3 years), and not as good as Taurasi (3 titles, 4 FFs, one undefeated season)
All true but the UConn women probably had a little more help than Griner...plus she dunks...lol. I hope we get another shot at her though in a few weeks.

Reaction Score
People like you make me laugh my a** off............"women actually play better defense and run a better offense" - you chi**ing me? They can't guard good players if they're quick, fast players........who guarded McBride last night - NO ONE could......she did what she wanted when she wanted until they went into the zone...........even then they couldn't find here when they needed to - and this coming from the 3rd or 4th best team in th country. And they "BEAUTIFIL" offense against teams they are 40-50 points better than with a bunch of stiffs out there in comparison to theirs.........please tell me you don't actually believe this crap??!?!?

No one was guarding McBride last night because Hartley fouled out, Banks is injured, and Faris was guarding Diggins. (who, despite always making the big shot, did miss 20 shots last night..so perhaps the defense wasn't that bad.) KML is not a good defender, but she was the best they could throw on her.

And how about, McBride is just a fantastic player. I watched numerous not even elite players absolutely destroy the UConn men. Every season.

It's a shot to the ego, I understand...to be just a Uconn men's fan and have to deal with the women having bigger success and playing, within their competition, an arguably better brand of basketball. Certainly not more athletic...but I thought Uconn men's fans learned the lesson that athletic was not necessarily better after the Sticks/Dyson season. Handle the ball better? Sure Bazz and Boat can handle it better than any of the girls on this team. Better than the quality of guards Geno usually has (Montgomery, Bird ) I don't think so.

This Uconn team struggles to handle the ball, and this Uconn team struggles in close games, and this Uconn team, quite frankly..is pretty dumb. All unusual for a Uconn women's team. And here's the thing, if you've watched the women throughout the years..you would have known that even against the weaker teams, this team wasn't running great offense. It's silly though. Someone says "look at all the turnovers and missed shots..the women's game is so ugly." Only to be answered with, "they scored more than the men usually do in close games." So obviously the reply is "no defense." Lol. So when the women's offense looks good/better against the elite team its because lack of defense, but when they struggle it's because they suck. And when the men struggle it's because of defense and when they don't it's because of their athletic and talent superiority. Sure, I buy it. It couldn't be because Boat and Bazz dribble the ball for 25 seconds and take a poor shot on half of our possessions. Sounds like fantastic offense to me.

And I hate getting into these arguments because I love both teams. But it's ridiculous. I've always thought the men's team's offense looks uglier. And here's the thing, it should. Women have to run a more complex and tighter offense because they don't have the athleticism and playground game men tend to have. (One of the reasons why, if Hartley is playing well..Uconn can get by without running a great offense. Because she's one of the few women that does play like that.) Not to mention, the Uconn women had 6 players on the Olympic team this season. Four of them were starters on the same team, including the starting Olympic backcourt. No it usually looks better. Sue Bird was probably the best female point guard in the world when she was playing at Uconn. Of course she's going to run an elite offense. I'm not even saying that WCBB runs a better offense. That I disagree with. I'm saying the UConn WCBB team usually does.

It's a different brand of basketball, completely, almost to the point of comparing it being silly. If people don't like it, people don't like it. But it's just inaccurate to make like women's basketball is inferior in every way. It's not. It's different. Some of it might be better, depending on what you like.
But it's just a shame that so many men's fans can't support the women because of an inferiority complex.

Reaction Score
Can someone please lock this dumb thread before that blowhard Icebear comes over here pontificating with his 18 kajillion posts?

The fact this board is talking about a woman's game in March is depressing enough.

Nailed it Deep!!! LMAO! :p

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE BULLS!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why are we killing our own? So they are the 3rd best WBB team in the country....Baylor has the most dominant woman maybe ever, ND has a great player and good team. So the UConn women make the Final 4 and next year they will be the favorite to win it all.

Baylor has the most dominant player in woman's basketball, maybe ever. Not sure "the most dominant woman ever" is correct until we see some Olympic style testing (which cost the Chinese big time).

It's a different game, just as women's soccer is and hockey is. Appreciate it or not. This is not a great UConn team by our standards, but those are high standards.

Reaction Score
I typically don't post on the men's board - although I do watch all their games. I'm a die hard Husky fan both men and women, but confess I watch the women more (I'm a girl BTW). But last night was painful. I was ashamed to call myself a UCONN fan. TWICE they could've closed it out in OT and BLEW it. And, Doty handling the ball? No. I just can't. What a nightmare....anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programs..

Reaction Score
Well, pointing out that women aren't as big, strong, fast or athletic as men is a pretty lightweight observation, intellectually. There are hundreds of years worth of statistical data that pretty much make that a "duh".

Also a "duh": athletics is conducted pretty much universally in such a way that athletes compete against their own peer groups. There are college sports (broken down by division) high school sports (broken down by school size), little league and Pony League, senior tennis and golf, the amateur champion in the US and British Open, paralympics, weight classes in boxing and wrestling, U-18 soccer, age groups in road races, etc. And, yes, women competing solely against women. If athletes of lesser athletic ability weren't allowed to compete against each other, we'd just have one pro league and be done with it.

Many of you are probably old enough to follow - and get into - Trumbull and Chris Drury beating Taiwan. I know I did. That was flippin' awesome. They couldn't have hacked it against a decent high school team either, but it didn't make that less fun to watch them win.

Yesterday certainly wasn't a sterling example of our women's team at its best. But the biggest matchups don't always produce masterpieces in any sport. I love soccer and the last World Cup final was perfectly dreadful between Spain and the Netherlands. I wouldn't let anyone near that tape if I was trying to convince them that soccer was fun to watch (I know I'm setting up for some anti-soccer jokes here, but there have been many Super Bowls that sucked too). I happened to love the Butler final, especially in the second half, but I know casual fans didn't.

I still say, though, that two of the best basketball performances - in terms of artistic merit - I've ever seen on a big stage in 50-50 games were by our women, the Stanford semi in 1995 and the final against Tennessee in 2000. The Stanford semifinal was a clinic in how to run a high-low offense, and the Tennessee final was a clinic in motion offense (backdoor layup, open 3, backdoor layup, open 3, repeat). I put those games ahead of other blowouts where we were just simply better - since both of those games were tossups. We split two close games with Tennessee in 2000 and Stanford was expected by most (or many) to beat us. But it isn't always that easy - sometimes the other team devises a game plan to stop you and it works.

The "better fundamentals" is kind of a weak argument, though. The point of basketball is to get high percentage shots - and if you can use your athleticism to get them by jumping over people, then you should. There's nothing not fundamental about throwing the ball up near the rim and letting Blake Griffin or Andre Drummond go get it. You don't have to do a three-man weave and throw a two-handed bounce pass for a layup.

(Geez - I was all over the place with this post, wasn't I?)

Reaction Score
I typically don't post on the men's board - although I do watch all their games. I'm a die hard Husky fan both men and women, but confess I watch the women more (I'm a girl BTW). But last night was painful. I was ashamed to call myself a UCONN fan. TWICE they could've closed it out in OT and BLEW it. And, Doty handling the ball? No. I just can't. What a nightmare....anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programs..

No matter how poorly they play, you should not be ashamed to call yourself a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Im just pissed Uconn lost to ND I hate it when we lose to them in any sport it just makes ESPN unwatchable. I do believe Uconn matches up best against Baylor but can they get past ND. Last night im sorry to say they choked and I would say the same thing about the men if/when/they have choked. Uconn will either get better from this loss or worse.

Reaction Score
The next time someone tries to claim that women's basketball is more fundamentally sound, I'm breaking out clips of the 2012/13 UConn chicks.

In regulation, instead of icing the game after an ND miss while they were up one, Dolson throws a moving screen 90' from the basket and fouls out in the process. Somehow, she managed to wrack up 11 turnovers - they should shoot a center who turns the ball over 11 times.

Instead of a last second shot after ND ties it, Doty gets herself trapped at midcourt.

They miss four of five free throws in OT - three front ends. Up three, Geno opts not to foul - Doty doesn't even bother defending, so ND banks in a three. Doty throws up a three-quarter court shot Roscoe-style with five seconds left giving ND another shot.

They're gutty, they're talented, but s***, they're stupid.
Spot on my boy!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Most of you would be dead today if this thread was on the gals board.

Reaction Score
The smaller ball actually hurts shooting percentage. It was originally put in place because women have smaller hands, but in general, WCBB players don't anymore. (One of Rondo's issues when it comes to shooting.) But the fact that the ball is smaller actually causes more pop outs.

That's actually been one of Geno's biggest talking points for a while. He wants WCBB to switch to the larger ball and he'd like to either place in a back court shot clock or shorten the shot clock from 30 seconds to 24. (I think the second one is a mistake though...)
What? The smaller ball hurts shooting percentages, women used to have smaller hands but don't anymore, again what???

Reaction Score
This is an example where if we want to be gender-equitable and treat everyone as athletes, then some criticism is highly warranted for losing that one. They competed hard, it was an entertaining game, etc. But they blew that game seven ways to Sunday, as Fishy documented in the original post, and they pretty much wilted once they fell behind in OT3.

I had a very similar feeling to the 6OT game. Yeah, yeah - it was a classic and all, but we had no business not winning the damn thing, so the loss trumps the "kudos for trying really hard" feeling (and the women gave it away worse yesterday than the men did in the '09 BET).

The recent Georgetown loss for the men had the caveats that we pulled a rabbit out of the hat to get to overtime in the first place, and our best player was badly hobbled. Plus, we never missed four straight FTs or did anything stupid to turn the ball over early in the shot clock. We just had bad late-shot clock possessions when we were running on fumes.

Reaction Score
No one was guarding McBride last night because Hartley fouled out, Banks is injured, and Faris was guarding Diggins. (who, despite always making the big shot, did miss 20 shots last night..so perhaps the defense wasn't that bad.) KML is not a good defender, but she was the best they could throw on her.

And how about, McBride is just a fantastic player. I watched numerous not even elite players absolutely destroy the UConn men. Every season.

It's a shot to the ego, I understand...to be just a Uconn men's fan and have to deal with the women having bigger success and playing, within their competition, an arguably better brand of basketball. Certainly not more athletic...but I thought Uconn men's fans learned the lesson that athletic was not necessarily better after the Sticks/Dyson season. Handle the ball better? Sure Bazz and Boat can handle it better than any of the girls on this team. Better than the quality of guards Geno usually has (Montgomery, Bird ) I don't think so.

This Uconn team struggles to handle the ball, and this Uconn team struggles in close games, and this Uconn team, quite frankly..is pretty dumb. All unusual for a Uconn women's team. And here's the thing, if you've watched the women throughout the years..you would have known that even against the weaker teams, this team wasn't running great offense. It's silly though. Someone says "look at all the turnovers and missed shots..the women's game is so ugly." Only to be answered with, "they scored more than the men usually do in close games." So obviously the reply is "no defense." Lol. So when the women's offense looks good/better against the elite team its because lack of defense, but when they struggle it's because they suck. And when the men struggle it's because of defense and when they don't it's because of their athletic and talent superiority. Sure, I buy it. It couldn't be because Boat and Bazz dribble the ball for 25 seconds and take a poor shot on half of our possessions. Sounds like fantastic offense to me.

And I hate getting into these arguments because I love both teams. But it's ridiculous. I've always thought the men's team's offense looks uglier. And here's the thing, it should. Women have to run a more complex and tighter offense because they don't have the athleticism and playground game men tend to have. (One of the reasons why, if Hartley is playing well..Uconn can get by without running a great offense. Because she's one of the few women that does play like that.) Not to mention, the Uconn women had 6 players on the Olympic team this season. Four of them were starters on the same team, including the starting Olympic backcourt. No it usually looks better. Sue Bird was probably the best female point guard in the world when she was playing at Uconn. Of course she's going to run an elite offense. I'm not even saying that WCBB runs a better offense. That I disagree with. I'm saying the UConn WCBB team usually does.

It's a different brand of basketball, completely, almost to the point of comparing it being silly. If people don't like it, people don't like it. But it's just inaccurate to make like women's basketball is inferior in every way. It's not. It's different. Some of it might be better, depending on what you like.
But it's just a shame that so many men's fans can't support the women because of an inferiority complex.

Whatever!!:rolleyes:.......clueless. Smaller ball hurts shooting. Are you trying to see how many stupid things you can come up with in one post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom