OT: UConn chicks | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn chicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The next time someone tries to claim that women's basketball is more fundamentally sound, I'm breaking out clips of the 2012/13 UConn chicks.

In regulation, instead of icing the game after an ND miss while they were up one, Dolson throws a moving screen 90' from the basket and fouls out in the process. Somehow, she managed to wrack up 11 turnovers - they should shoot a center who turns the ball over 11 times.

Instead of a last second shot after ND ties it, Doty gets herself trapped at midcourt.

They miss four of five free throws in OT - three front ends. Up three, Geno opts not to foul - Doty doesn't even bother defending, so ND banks in a three. Doty throws up a three-quarter court shot Roscoe-style with five seconds left giving ND another shot.

They're gutty, they're talented, but s***, they're stupid.

Yes, why can't the women be more like the men...

arch

Reaction Score
ESPN put up at stat before how the UConn girls are 0-3 the last two seasons in games decided by 5 pts or less. This team does not know how to win close ball games. It does not help at all when you are beating teams by 40-50 pts. When games are within a few possessions down the stretch they always play uptight.

I think they have lost 7 of 8 single digit games the last two seasons.

arch

Reaction Score
It's...like...was it a flop, sure, but why on Earth would you do that? You think UConn is rushing to the hoop? Is that screen going to set up a fast break?

The decision was so insane I didn't even mind the bad call. She deserved the call just for doing something so incredibly thoughtless.

She did the right thing. They needed all the help they could get taking the ball up the court. 34(5?) turnovers, remember? If she didn't try to help our helpless guards you would be right to criticize her, IMHO. And, I don't think she was moving, but her right leg was extended. Could that have been the call?

Reaction Score
Hartley is horrific this year, never got the game back and is always dribbling around like a chicken with her head cut off.......Doty, well the injuries in her career took away her athleticism and with that her game, same place too often dribbling......Faris is solid always, throws some whacky passes but she's a toughie.........Dolson, bad bad game - looked lost - take another shot when you've missed 8 in a row?. Mosquito is really really good but can't guard anyone as good as McBride.........Tuck is going to be real good just needed to make some layups.......Stewart is whacked but she made big plays without trying, blocked shots, kept balls alive and rebounded, needs to relax...........Geno has not been too good either this year quite honestly in big games, Muffet owns him right now!!! Bring the freshman in (#4?) the 2nd half when things are falling apart?? Smart move......how about getting her comfortable slowly since she's a better option than Hartley or Doty?? The funny thing is they seem to need to hand the ball off so much and why? No one could get open...........and they throw passes to spots because the offense should run smoothly and when they finally play someone good and the other team can guard them, they still throw it there because they are running the offense? Unfortunately the other team is there awaiting the arrival of the awful pass......there's no skeleton defense out there anymore ladies!!

Womens refereeing is a joke.......women can't ref normally but the dude in this one was clueless....the call on Dolson for her 2nd was enough to assure the guy should never referee anything but women's HS JV games.........but seriously the ref's are always clueless and even the real good ones wouldn't be able to do a good mens HS basketabll game!!

Finally Fishy is so right, you saw what happens in a women's game, both way, when both teams are pretty good. All that supposedly smooth passing and cutting is out the window and they look kinda like Fishy outta the water!! ;)......these teams are so used to being so much better than 95% of their schedule that's an issue!
I think you nailed it. ND has scouted them perfectly. They know exactly what will kill the offense, for whoever is in charge. They trap Doty and Jefferson, and just let Hartley give it away herself. Poor kid won't even try to shoot anymore.

Reaction Score
The next time someone tries to claim that women's basketball is more fundamentally sound, I'm breaking out clips of the 2012/13 UConn chicks.

In regulation, instead of icing the game after an ND miss while they were up one, Dolson throws a moving screen 90' from the basket and fouls out in the process. Somehow, she managed to wrack up 11 turnovers - they should shoot a center who turns the ball over 11 times.

Instead of a last second shot after ND ties it, Doty gets herself trapped at midcourt.

They miss four of five free throws in OT - three front ends. Up three, Geno opts not to foul - Doty doesn't even bother defending, so ND banks in a three. Doty throws up a three-quarter court shot Roscoe-style with five seconds left giving ND another shot.

They're gutty, they're talented, but s***, they're stupid.

Seems a little rediculous to judge all womens bball off of one sloppy game. Sure the titanic went down, does not mean all passenger liners are unsafe... look at free throw %, shooting % turnovers, etc...(i have no idea the answer), but that is what you use to judge between women and the men when it comes to fundamentals , not a single game.

Ps i did not read the three pages of women bball bashing, also i am not even trying to defend women bball.

Reaction Score
She did the right thing. They needed all the help they could get taking the ball up the court. 34(5?) turnovers, remember? If she didn't try to help our helpless guards you would be right to criticize her, IMHO. And, I don't think she was moving, but her right leg was extended. Could that have been the call?

That was definitely a moving screen. What makes the call questionable is the fact that it wasn't any different from the other 200 screens that Dolson sets each game.

I understand that she's trying to help out Hartley and give her some breathing room, but you don't need to level the defender (or even make contact at all) to do that. Just getting in the way is enough to make Diggins worry about the screener instead of the ball handler for a split second. That's enough to make a difference.

Dolson's intent was good, but the execution was not. By making as much contact as she did, she's gave one of the (terrible) officials the chance to make a judgment call to potentially decide the game.

Reaction Score
I agree completely. It may be more fundamentally sound when they're playing teams, who on a good day, won't finish within 40 points of them, but whenever I watch a high ranking game, there are generally a lot of turnovers, mental errors, blown layups, etc.
I think this nails it. Women's fans cite the excellent fundamentals and so casual fans give it a try and tune into a top-10 matchup and see the same old players running in sand or shooting 40% or turning the ball over constantly. When men's teams play vastly inferior teams (70% of UConn women's games) they also execute plays flawlessly and get uncontested shots. But in men's games these shots are dunks so basketball purists can't find the same love for the fundamentally sound play. It is a myth.

Reaction Score
If any of the officiating that I saw happened in a men's game, I would have gone through 3 tvs this season. Its deplorable.

I rather enjoyed the foul that was called on Dolson in the first half when the ND player stuck her elbow into Dolson neck. I'm surprised Geno didn't get thrown out after that. I give him & the assistants who held him back , credit.

Reaction Score
With the girls though, the girls all graduate so I see this team growing into a beast. When skylar and griner graduate....who is honestly a threat? lol

Reaction Score
I watched this game and was into it from the start. UConn snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with some help from the refs. I think all our freshman will be really good. Tuck already looks pretty comfortable. KML is KML. A top 5 player in the country. Doty is the only one I wanted to strangle last night. She's a 5 or 6 year senior and still makes freshman plays. I know she has had major injuries but that doesn't explain her horrific BBALL IQ.

D

DanDar

Doty was great 5 years ago, now she's a shell of the player she used to be. She was deadly three point shooter, was fairly quick. Reminded me of Diana a bit. Then injuries came. I think she's had three ACLs in her UConn career.

Reaction Score
Yea it's a shame. You still should know when the shot clocks expiring and/or when you have 4 seconds more to dribble for a last second shot. Not to mention her getting trapped in crucial situations.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I rather enjoyed the foul that was called on Dolson in the first half when the ND player stuck her elbow into Dolson neck. I'm surprised Geno didn't get thrown out after that. I give him & the assistants who held him back , credit.

That was Chris Dailey's foot speed defense on Geno that deserves the credit.

And even if Dolson slid a bit in the ill-advised screen, Diggins sold it like Kemba.

Reaction Score
Can someone please lock this dumb thread before that blowhard Icebear comes over here pontificating with his 18 kajillion posts?

The fact this board is talking about a woman's game in March is depressing enough.

Lets see how it goes it will be entertaining we can always lock it once it gets out of control. I dont care too much about the Womens game but I hate losing to ND in any sport.

Reaction Score
Sorry guys, I know you are watching it with the idea in your head that the women's game isn't as good. But the men's team doesn't play pretty basketball either, and rarely has. The women are slower and the women can't dunk. That's the difference. More often then not the women actually play better defense and run a better offense.

I know it's just everyone's opinion and whatever, but this is a classic example of expecting women to be significantly better than men, in order to give them credit. An ugly game doesn't mean it was an ugly game, it means that women's game sucks. (And I'd still argue that this one was "ugly" because the refs made it so. ) There was no uglier basketball game, ever, than our last national championship game..that either team has ever played. I don't care though, we won that game.

As for the Dolson situation...on the one hand, what she did was stupid. On the other hand, if you knew the history of these two teams. ND has won a considerable amount of games because Uconn will have a small lead, and then give it up. They often give it up because Diggins will wack the side of Hartley's arm - she'll lose the ball, ND will get a fast break steal. (It's actually a pretty smart move...just obnoxious if you are consistently on the other end of it.) I'm sure that was going through Dolson's mind.

Reaction Score
Sorry guys, I know you are watching it with the idea in your head that the women's game isn't as good. But the men's team doesn't play pretty basketball either, and rarely has. The women are slower and the women can't dunk. That's the difference. More often then not the women actually play better defense and run a better offense.

You're right. They're slower. They can't dunk.

And.....

They're not as fast
They're not as athletic
They're not as strong.
They're not as creative
They don't ballhandle as well

The speed, general style and overall product are lesser. It's like watching a reel of 1950's NBA footage.

Reaction Score
oooh so hurtful ... but we know your disdain toward the womens team all goes back to your ineptitide in the bedroom

huskyblooz vs Fishy like spitballs against a battleship....

Also a certain Sportswriter called Uconn Ladies "Pretenders not contenders" this year...........

Reaction Score
Hartley is horrific this year, never got the game back and is always dribbling around like a chicken with her head cut off.......Doty, well the injuries in her career took away her athleticism and with that her game, same place too often dribbling......Faris is solid always, throws some whacky passes but she's a toughie.........Dolson, bad bad game - looked lost - take another shot when you've missed 8 in a row?. Mosquito is really really good but can't guard anyone as good as McBride.........Tuck is going to be real good just needed to make some layups.......Stewart is whacked but she made big plays without trying, blocked shots, kept balls alive and rebounded, needs to relax...........Geno has not been too good either this year quite honestly in big games, Muffet owns him right now!!! Bring the freshman in (#4?) the 2nd half when things are falling apart?? Smart move......how about getting her comfortable slowly since she's a better option than Hartley or Doty?? The funny thing is they seem to need to hand the ball off so much and why? No one could get open...........and they throw passes to spots because the offense should run smoothly and when they finally play someone good and the other team can guard them, they still throw it there because they are running the offense? Unfortunately the other team is there awaiting the arrival of the awful pass......there's no skeleton defense out there anymore ladies!!

Womens refereeing is a joke.......women can't ref normally but the dude in this one was clueless....the call on Dolson for her 2nd was enough to assure the guy should never referee anything but women's HS JV games.........but seriously the ref's are always clueless and even the real good ones wouldn't be able to do a good mens HS basketabll game!!

Finally Fishy is so right, you saw what happens in a women's game, both way, when both teams are pretty good. All that supposedly smooth passing and cutting is out the window and they look kinda like Fishy outta the water!! ;)......these teams are so used to being so much better than 95% of their schedule that's an issue!
I'm not saying Jefferson was a great choice, only the better choice. Either Doty handles the ball or Jefferson handles the ball. I'd go with Jefferson. She has had decent minutes this year and there isn't any more time to get comfortable. Geno went with experience and it bit him in the ass. She and Hartley are the only 2 true point guards on the team that is PG challanged. Actually, I question whether Hartley is a true PG. Hartley just dribbles and hopes something good will happen instead of having some sort of destination in mind.
I agree on the refereeing in women's basketball. You see better refs in your average HS game. The refs were letting them play, swallowing the whistle then call ticky tack fouls.
They had 20+ turnovers, missed key 1 and 1's and still should have won a very ugly game. Muffit is Geno's daddy. Geno will be leaving the BE with a bad taste of ND in his mouth

Reaction Score

I know it's just everyone's opinion and whatever, but this is a classic example of expecting women to be significantly better than men, in order to give them credit. An ugly game doesn't mean it was an ugly game, it means that women's game sucks. (And I'd still argue that this one was "ugly" because the refs made it so. ) There was no uglier basketball game, ever, than our last national championship game..that either team has ever played. I don't care though, we won that game.

As for the Dolson situation...on the one hand, what she did was stupid. On the other hand, if you knew the history of these two teams. ND has won a considerable amount of games because Uconn will have a small lead, and then give it up. They often give it up because Diggins will wack the side of Hartley's arm - she'll lose the ball, ND will get a fast break steal. (It's actually a pretty smart move...just obnoxious if you are consistently on the other end of it.) I'm sure that was going through Dolson's mind.

People like you make me laugh my a** off............"women actually play better defense and run a better offense" - you chi**ing me? They can't guard good players if they're quick, fast players........who guarded McBride last night - NO ONE could......she did what she wanted when she wanted until they went into the zone...........even then they couldn't find here when they needed to - and this coming from the 3rd or 4th best team in th country. And they "BEAUTIFIL" offense against teams they are 40-50 points better than with a bunch of stiffs out there in comparison to theirs.........please tell me you don't actually believe this crap??!?!?

Reaction Score

And.....

They're not as fast
They're not as athletic
They're not as strong.
They're not as creative

The speed, general style and overall product are lesser. It's like watching a reel of 1950's NBA footage.
You forgot jumping. Has anyone ever measured a women's players vertical leap? I expect it would take the total of 3 women to get near the vertical of Ryan Boatright.

Or more simply put the difference between men's and women's basketball is illustrated by the average ticket price x attendance for NBA vs WNBA ?

Reaction Score

And.....

They're not as fast
They're not as athletic
They're not as strong.
They're not as creative

And the ball is smaller and should go in more often!! ;)

Reaction Score
And the ball is smaller and should go in more often!! ;)
I don't think it makes any sense to compare the women's game to the men's. But it does make sense to evaluate the Uconn women against other teams. I don't think Geno got out-coached in any of the losses this year. He got out-talented. If you consider who from the Uconn team would start for Baylor or Notre Dame, IMHO only Mosqueda-Lewis and perhaps Kelly Farris would be good enough. I think the girls had a deer-in-the-headlights look all night. If you look at the stats, Uconn had more rebounds, more assists, more blocks and shot for a higher percentage. Turnovers and free throw shooting did them in. Unfortunately, I don't think this loss will help them in the post-season but who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom