Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
but hey, they're fundamentally sound when shooting free throws

I just hate losing to ND in anything ever

then again, I just hate losing period

Reaction Score
Point guard is the issue. I guess Hartley?? has been injured, and hasn't been the same since returning. That frosh point is not very good. Doty can't play anymore due to several acl injuries in both knees. Its a shame, she was good. She is still hot, though.

From what I recall, this was supposed to be one of Geno's best incoming freshman classes. Unfortunately, they haven't lived up to the hype yet.

Reaction Score
Yup, Hartley was supposed to be the floor general. And it's almost sad what happened to her. Either she's still injured or she was compensating for her injury with shooting and drives and now can't get it back. Regardless, she's a shadow of what she was last season.

She's still not a true point (granted, Montgomery wasn't either. In fact, Renee much less so than Hartley.) So the team would likely still have a little bit of excessive turnovers. But if Hartley playing up the level she was last season, they'd probably have 10-15 more points per game against the best teams.

Even still, the team is significantly better against quality competition with Bria running the point. (Although, I wonder if Faris should some more. She's easily second best at it.)

Reaction Score
I agree completely. It may be more fundamentally sound when they're playing teams, who on a good day, won't finish within 40 points of them, but whenever I watch a high ranking game, there are generally a lot of turnovers, mental errors, blown layups, etc.

Great point, WtD?. EVERY team will look great when they are winning by 30 or more points. We've (the dudes) had some of our NIT teams over the years look flawless against some of the cupcakes. Then, when they got into league play, I would be thinking, "Why can't they push the ball up the floor? Why are they turning the ball over so often?" As the season went on, I realized they weren't that good. It was the crap competition that made them look like a top ten team.

Also when you're blowing teams away, sometimes you don't know how to execute in crunch time against the good ones. Or you put too much pressure on yourselves.

Reaction Score
Even against great teams, the women's offense always (and has always) looked better than the Mens, with a few rare exceptions. (2004, Marcus and Rudy's final season here.)

This is coming from a person who was a fan of both. It's just reality. They've struggled as late because PG has been split between a player who can't play at an elite level any longer and a player who isn't really a point guard.

Sometimes fundamentals go out the door in big games because refs lose control (like..this one..for instance..) and there's absolutely no flow. But they still scored more tonight in regulation than all but four of the Men's close games (two of which were overtime games).

Reaction Score
lol

duck* off. .

They do get their undies in a wad fast on the distaff side of things.
oooh so hurtful ... but we know your disdain toward the womens team all goes back to your ineptitide in the bedroom

Reaction Score
Fishy is just calling it like it is losing to ND is disgusting and wrong on so many levels. Your either a hero in a big game or a goat.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The next time someone tries to claim that women's basketball is more fundamentally sound, I'm breaking out clips of the 2012/13 UConn chicks.

In regulation, instead of icing the game after an ND miss while they were up one, Dolson throws a moving screen 90' from the basket and fouls out in the process. Somehow, she managed to wrack up 11 turnovers - they should shoot a center who turns the ball over 11 times.

Instead of a last second shot after ND ties it, Doty gets herself trapped at midcourt.

They miss four of five free throws in OT - three front ends. Up three, Geno opts not to foul - Doty doesn't even bother defending, so ND banks in a three. Doty throws up a three-quarter court shot Roscoe-style with five seconds left giving ND another shot.

They're gutty, they're talented, but s***, they're stupid.

I must have said the word 'stoopid' twenty times watching them tonight. Then the word 'soft' comes to mind. They played their asses off but should have won in regulation time. But, they did some dumb out there. I will see that Kayla McBride trey in my nightmares tonight.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Even against great teams, the women's offense always (and has always) looked better than the Mens, with a few rare exceptions. (2004, Marcus and Rudy's final season here.)

This is coming from a person who was a fan of both. It's just reality. They've struggled as late because PG has been split between a player who can't play at an elite level any longer and a player who isn't really a point guard.

Sometimes fundamentals go out the door in big games because refs lose control (like..this one..for instance..) and there's absolutely no flow. But they still scored more tonight in regulation than all but four of the Men's close games (two of which were overtime games).
They score more because no one is playing defense. Honestly, the worst thing about the women's games is the ineptitude (spelled it for huskyblooz) of the refs. ND generally lives at the line because they cannot distinguish a charge from a block (not why they lost tonight, they lost because they choked).

Reaction Score
Eh, they have lost 3 games, and probably could have (and should have ) won all 3.

In general, Geno's teams always are impeccably, fundamentally sound. Last year or so, especially this year....not so much.

Reaction Score
O
They score more because no one is playing defense. Honestly, the worst thing about the women's games is the ineptitude (spelled it for huskyblooz) of the refs. ND generally lives at the line because they cannot distinguish a charge from a block (not why they lost tonight, they lost because they choked).

No. Tonight's game was a defensive game.

But I agree, the problem with the women's game is the refs. Can't touch Skyler. They do things like call a travel 50 feet from the basket that might not have even been a travel. (Something men's refs just let go...) sometimes it's like a dog fight and other times players can't breathe on anyone. They call a moving screen whenever they feel like it. And a foul even more often. And yes, the charge/block is pretty bad..but that's bad in the men's game too.

Reaction Score
God, this team is Something & 3 games this year.
To the #1 team and to the# 2 team twice ... all close games.
But ... they are a failure to you. And the playoffs didnt start yet.

Not that they have shown me anything to win it all, but I'm all UCONN!
20 toes in!

Reaction Score
oooh so hurtful ... but we know your disdain toward the womens team all goes back to your ineptitide in the bedroom

What the hell is an ineptitide? A tide that doesn't make it within 100 yards of fishy's bedroom?

Anyways, you obviously don't understand fishy's sense of humor, and the fact that he is only stating that the women didn't look so good with the ball today. Post here a little more often. If you have a sense of humor you would understand fishy's posts a little better.;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agreed. #1 player in her class? Not even close. Maybe she has a ton of potential, but she's clueless out there. It's too bad. Kaleena Lewis, on the other hand, is a great player.
She a freshman. She's always been physically dominent. You have to expect an adjustment period. I agree though, that you'd hope that she be over it by now. Shell make a big leap next year after putting on some muscle.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ive always been a self proclaimed womens basketball hater, but Ive tried to give it occasional shots over the years considering UConn is the premier team, but...the women's game is just completely and totally unwatchable.

Its just flat out awful hoops. Everytime I watch Im just shocked

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Ive always been a self proclaimed womens basketball hater, but Ive tried to give it occasional shots over the years considering UConn is the premier team, but...the women's game is just completely and totally unwatchable.

Its just flat out awful hoops. Everytime I watch Im just shocked
I never understood how people hate it. Is it men's hoop? No. But, it is a decent brand of basketball and Uconn is really, really good at that brand. Anytime Uconn excels at something I enjoy watching.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I never understood how people hate it. Is it men's hoop? No. But, it is a decent brand of basketball and Uconn is really, really good at that brand. Anytime Uconn excels at something I enjoy watching.

I enjoy watching Boy's High School games on MSG Varsity more myself and find that to be a better brand of basketball.

Not trying to start a big argument though, I'm just not a women's basketball fan at all.

Reaction Score
Doty brings nothing to the game. She dribbles to areas on the floor where she can get trapped and usually does. She is no longer a shooter. I feel sorry for the kid because of all the injuries/surgeries but they would have been better off playing the freshman Jefferson after Hartley fouled out.Geno opted for experience on the floor but experience without skills is useless.
As bad as the played, they lost this game at the foul line.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If any of the officiating that I saw happened in a men's game, I would have gone through 3 tvs this season. Its deplorable.

Reaction Score
Hartley is horrific this year, never got the game back and is always dribbling around like a chicken with her head cut off.......Doty, well the injuries in her career took away her athleticism and with that her game, same place too often dribbling......Faris is solid always, throws some whacky passes but she's a toughie.........Dolson, bad bad game - looked lost - take another shot when you've missed 8 in a row?. Mosquito is really really good but can't guard anyone as good as McBride.........Tuck is going to be real good just needed to make some layups.......Stewart is whacked but she made big plays without trying, blocked shots, kept balls alive and rebounded, needs to relax...........Geno has not been too good either this year quite honestly in big games, Muffet owns him right now!!! Bring the freshman in (#4?) the 2nd half when things are falling apart?? Smart move......how about getting her comfortable slowly since she's a better option than Hartley or Doty?? The funny thing is they seem to need to hand the ball off so much and why? No one could get open...........and they throw passes to spots because the offense should run smoothly and when they finally play someone good and the other team can guard them, they still throw it there because they are running the offense? Unfortunately the other team is there awaiting the arrival of the awful pass......there's no skeleton defense out there anymore ladies!!

Womens refereeing is a joke.......women can't ref normally but the dude in this one was clueless....the call on Dolson for her 2nd was enough to assure the guy should never referee anything but women's HS JV games.........but seriously the ref's are always clueless and even the real good ones wouldn't be able to do a good mens HS basketabll game!!

Finally Fishy is so right, you saw what happens in a women's game, both way, when both teams are pretty good. All that supposedly smooth passing and cutting is out the window and they look kinda like Fishy outta the water!! ;)......these teams are so used to being so much better than 95% of their schedule that's an issue!

Reaction Score
The fundamentals are atrocious, the decision making is atrocious, the refs are atrocious. This UConn team is much more talented than Notre Dame but they are softer than charmin, they have given this game away about 20 times. I try and always watch the UConn girls when they are in a big game but this is just horrible basketball, not sure I can watch 5 more minutes of it.

Agree totally. Watched them during the Lobo years and a little while after that; but the pace of the game and the number of turnovers eventually made it impossible for me to keep watching. Really don't want to start a bash the women thread because what they've accomplished and, more importantly,what they've done for the University is off the charts. In fact, Rebecca Lobo gave the graduation address when my son graduated; and it was one of the most entertaining, funny and informed speeches that I have ever heard. It really is just a matter of taste; and women's hoops just doesn't hold my interest anymore.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE BULLS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#