OT: U S Tennis Open... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: U S Tennis Open...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Little Latvia is making a name for itself this year. Sharapova gets bounced by Sevastova, following a French Open Championship by Ostapenko. What will it do next? Invade Russia?

Venus is now 5-3 vs. Carla Suarez Navarro, but too many double faults again She was, however, pretty strong in the 3rd, while Carla lost some accuracy. The 37 year old finished up 6-1. Next up is Petra Kvitova, who dispatched Garbine is straight sets. The 2 time Wimbledon champ seems back on her game, and even though her ranking is slightly below Venus', Petra would seem the favorite, with a 5-1 lifetime edge over our hero.. Hope Venus' A-game shows up.

And Sloane continues to show her summer accomplishments were no fluke, getting rid of her foe, like Venus, with a 6-1 3rd set.

And how about Sam Querry, making the final 8 by winning 18 games to his opponent's 5?!

Today's schedule, finishing the round of 16, has 3 0f our stalwart ladies, Madison, Jennifer & Coco, attempting to make it 5 Americans
in the elite 8. Whoever heard of such a thing?

Schedule of Play | Day 8: Monday, September 4 Schedule | Official Site of the 2017 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice win by Madison Keys after potentially being run off the court after the 6-1 second set. When she is focused and playing within herself, I think she is the best player left. Chance of 4 (or 0) US women getting to the semis and Sam Querry still in it. Also nice potential matchup of Nadal / Federer in semis. Great tournament. :D:D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Sloane Stevens - 7-6 in the 3rd winning the tie break 7-4. WHAT A MATCH!!! Sevastova is very talented and a crafty/tricky player. Almost as impressive as Keys beating #4 Svitolina. I think there are/were 3 or 4 players who could have been ranked #1 depending on the outcome of the tourney. Halep, Muguruza, and Svitolina are all bounced now...

Reaction Score
It is worth noting that of the four American women still in contention, three are black; Marking the first time three black women have advanced to the quarterfinals of the US Open and, as far as I know, of any major; All of whom have a chance to get to the semis with Ms Stephens already there. It would appear that speculation of Ms Stephens' demise is greatly exaggerated.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Venus locked in an epic battle with Kvitova

5-4 Williams 3rd set, on serve

5-5

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Extremely high quality match. I have never seen Venus so consistent on all her ground strokes. Can she be better than she was in her younger years? I cant see Sloane winning if Venus is playing at this level and I think she must be counted as the favorite to win it all.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Extremely high quality match. I have never seen Venus so consistent on all her ground strokes. Can she be better than she was in her younger years? I cant see Sloane winning if Venus is playing at this level and I think she must be counted as the favorite to win it all.

It was remarkable tennis -- just superb stuff from both players. Better than a lot of finals I've seen!

Toward the end especially, this was the old Venus---hitting and serving with incredible pace, bite and precision. Finally had an ace ! These two were just crushing the ball. Scary good. And some wonderful droppers from PK.

There must have been 6-8 shots toward the very end that were within an inch or two of being in PK's favor , but they all seemed to stay on Venus's side of the line. This match really was on a knife's edge.

A privilege to watch!

P.S. Few things in the world of sport are as beautiful as Venus Williams's smile :)

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Petra is a most worthy foe, likely poised to add Major championships in her career. It was no mean feat to dispatch Garbine Muzuruza
in the previous round, and last night's match with Venus was one quality performance. She has a top-grade 2nd serve, superior to Venus', and her serving was there for her when she sat at 15-40 and twice at 0-40. Venus had 10 break points and only garnered 3. But 3 was enough to keep things even, as Petra managed 3 breaks also.
Whatever serving advantage Petra had was, unfortunately for her, undone by 45 unforced errors.
Other than the onslaught that is Irma, nothing gets my stomach in knots like Venus in a match she might lose. Think of being down a break in set 3. Ouch!
While I say Mazel Tov to Serena's motherhood, I'm glad she is not around to garner the chief attention in the Williams' exploits.
Mary Jo Fernandez called Venus the best athlete she's ever seen in Women's tennis, and she is my favorite athlete
Back in '98, I wonder how this 6' 1" marvel would have been as a wing on UConn's squad.
Next up is Venus vs. Sloan, while we watch to see, if Madison can break through tonight, and Coco at noon too.

No American men left, with Sam's loss.

Here's your schedule.

Schedule of Play | Day 10: Wednesday, September 6 Schedule | Official Site of the 2017 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

Reaction Score
This article might sum it up better than I can, coming from someone with more Capital in the sport than I have:

McEnroe: Williams Sisters Have Bad Attitude
Whoa!! You lost me on this one. This article is 17 years old!!! They have evolved into American icons that are role models for so many young, aspiring athletes. Just ask CoCo, Maddie and Sloane...all of which have commented on them.
By the way, and you take a comment on attitude from McEnroe seriously?!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Miss Coco!! IF Madison can beat unseeded Kanepi, it will be 4 Americans in the semi finals - not sure if that has ever happened before. What an absolutely sensational performance by the US women. Congrats to all of them, regardless of what happens in Keys' match...

Ok on edit - apparently it happened in 1985 - Chris Evert vs. Kathy Rinaldi, and Zina Garrison vs. Martina Navratilova. All 4 Americans. But even more amazing was the quarter finals had 7 out of 8 Americans - including Barbara Potter, Molly Van Nostrand, and Pam Shriver. Molly was a qualifier and Barbara was unseeded. Shriver was #5. The lone non-American was Helena Sukova from the Czech Republic. She fell to Kathy Rinaldi in 3 sets...

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This article might sum it up better than I can, coming from someone with more Capital in the sport than I have:

Of all the people to complain about a person's bad attitude he should keep his mouth shut. He had one of the worse attitudes of any player, on and off the court. He did not like that they chose to make their own decisions about how and when they played and did not let other people decide how they should direct their career.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Hillarious that McEnroe would comment on "anyone's" bad attitude and his evidence was some musings about possibley playing against men?? His freakout is more evidence of him disrespecting the women's game than the other way around. :eek:

Anywhoo. Back to this incredible tournament and 3 of the possible 4 American woment are in the semifinal. I imagine there is now added pressure on Madison Keys not to be the odd man (or woman :rolleyes:) out of the final four especially since her opponent is probably the weakest of the bunch.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hillarious that McEnroe would comment on "anyone's" bad attitude and his evidence was some musings about possibley playing against men?? His freakout is more evidence of him disrespecting the women's game than the other way around. :eek:

Anywhoo. Back to this incredible tournament and 3 of the possible 4 American woment are in the semifinal. I imagine there is now added pressure on Madison Keys not to be the odd man (or woman :rolleyes:) out of the final four especially since her opponent is probably the weakest of the bunch.
It's funny - he recently was asked about her playing against men recently - i think he said something along the lines of..."she would not be able to beat the lowest ranked player in the world" which at the time was some guy from Sri Lanka, or someplace, ranked like 300 or so. On THAT point, I generally agree with him. Serena is the GOAT for women's tennis, but comparing how she's do vs. men - who are generally stronger and faster, is a pointless exercise...

Having said that, I totally agree - his attitude on the court sucked back in the day, and occasionally he lapses back into his "bad boy" persona with idiotic commentary. That particular comment from 17 years ago is case in point.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
So tomorrow is ladies day; well, more accurately ladies night. Venus and Sloane kick it off at 7,
Coco is set and we find out tonight who her opponent will be. Estonia refuses to be outdone by the Latvians.
Though unseeded, Kaia Kanepi finds herself in the quarters. Will it be she or Madison?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom