OT: U S Tennis Open... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: U S Tennis Open...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Federer loses. DelPotro played well, his forehand was great, his backhand steady and his serve was exceptional. Federer really played some poor shots on crucial points but otherwise, I think DelPotro won it more than Federer lost it. Was not impressed with Federer's post game presser where he basically says I played poorly, I did not prepare well and his mindset was just not right the entire tournament. To much woe is me and to little praise of the opponent imho. I would love to see DelPotro take it after all his wrist injuries robbed him and us of a potentially great career. Would be nice symmetry since in 2009, he also beat Federer and Nadal at the US Open.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I just can't understand how anyone could not support Venus Williams ; especially in the twilight (?) of her career.

I think it's almost unfair that words of admiration are so much more appropriate for men; mensch, gentleman, can't think of a good one to describe her quasi-regal bearing (not right) ladylike (completely wrong)...you get the point.

She's a unique, positive, force for good in woman's sport, extending the previously understood chronological limit for superior performance while always the ideal competitor, equally gracious in victory or defeat. She overcame the limitations of her family's coaching both on and off the court; the chip on her shoulder at times noted in her early years being completely hidden now; a grown woman of many interests, seemingly completely at ease with her place in society And as noted by the three other notable semi-finalists of a later generation, she is the one they most look up to and emulate.

When one thinks of parallels, perhaps only one name comes up...Sue Bird.

Go Venus...beat up on the kids, one last time (gently, gently).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I just can't understand how anyone could not support Venus Williams ; especially in the twilight (?) of her career.

I think it's almost unfair that words of admiration are so much more appropriate for men; mensch, gentleman, can't think of a good one to describe her quasi-regal bearing (not right) ladylike (completely wrong)...you get the point.

She's a unique, positive, force for good in woman's sport, extending the previously understood chronological limit for superior performance while always the ideal competitor, equally gracious in victory or defeat. She overcame the limitations of her family's coaching both on and off the court; the chip on her shoulder at times noted in her early years being completely hidden now; a grown woman of many interests, seemingly completely at ease with her place in society And as noted by the three other notable semi-finalists of a later generation, she is the one they most look up to and emulate.

When one thinks of parallels, perhaps only one name comes up...Sue Bird.

Go Venus...beat up on the kids, one last time (gently, gently).

I agree. She deserves this run to cap off her career which has been in such a deep shadow of her sister. I want her to win but I think Madison (my pick over Coco) will since it just may mean too much for Venus

Reaction Score
An excellent third set between Stephens and Williams; Power, precision. pressure; All on display. If Stephens duplicates tonight's effort Saturday, she will be hoisting the US Open crown.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
An excellent third set between Stephens and Williams; Power, precision. pressure; All on display. If Stephens duplicates tonight's effort Saturday, she will be hoisting the US Open crown.

One of the strangest games I have ever seen. First 2 sets, one played well and other played poorly but third set was
a treat when both played well. Sloane's defense is unbelievable. I have never seen anything like it. What is maddening is that she seems to have the ability to be offensive but she is content to be defensive, change speeds etc. I guess it is her style. On the plus side, I finally saw her go after it emotionally. She grew up tonight. Even so, the final is not guaranteed. A tough opponent will be on the other side.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I missed it...... I stepped out to pick up some fried chicken and potato wedges.... got back... and it was over.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, that was a bludgeoning. Coco did not play poorly but Madison was on another level. Nothing Coco could do. I think she is the only real competition for Serena and I would say she is at least as talented as Serena. All she needed was confidence and I think she has it now. I think she will not only convincingly win this finals but will be a multiple grand slam winner. Hope that little hammy wrap is not an issue.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Madison Keys is going to win her first Major on Saturday. Don't think Sloane Stephens can hold up to the pressure that Madison will provide. I look for Madison to dominate Sloane like she did with Coco tonight.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I thought when Madison got three quick aces she would dominate the 1st set. Sure hasn't been that way Sloane is playing the more consistent tennis, while Madison is making unforced errors. Sloane up 4-2 in 1st set. Still early in the match. Madison has to get her nerves under control and get more aces if she is to win.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Sloane Stephens wins 1st set 6-3. She's playing flawless consistent tennis. Madison is taking riskier returns/shots and missing most of them. Madison has to play Sloane's game and concentrate on playing defense and stop taking as many chances with her shot. Madison is the better player, but so far not today.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Stephens 3 unforced errors in the match vs 24 for Madison. Madison is still attempting risky shots and missing them. Stephens is up 3-0 in 2nd set. Match almost looks over.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Sloane Stephens wins her first major as she dominates Madison Keys 6-3 and 6-0. She played flawless tennis today. Even when Madison changed her game late in the 2nd match to take less riskier shots, Sloane played great defense. Madison had no chance. I am surprised at how easily Stephens won.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Madison Keys is going to win her first Major on Saturday. Don't think Sloane Stephens can hold up to the pressure that Madison will provide. I look for Madison to dominate Sloane like she did with Coco tonight.

Good call

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sloane Stephens wins 1st set 6-3. She's playing flawless consistent tennis. Madison is taking riskier returns/shots and missing most of them. Madison has to play Sloane's game and concentrate on playing defense and stop taking as many chances with her shot. Madison is the better player, but so far not today.
The better player is determined by what they do on the court. If Keys was the better player, Stephens would not have dominated her the way she did today. At least Stephens was the better player today.

Reaction Score
The score and the lopsided nature of the match was shocking. Not that it would have made a difference, but not taking/breaking/winning the fifth game of the second set after being up 0-40 means that it is just not your day. As with most sports, tennis is a game of matchups. Against Madison Keys' awesome power, Sloane Stephens was determined to keep herself in the points until an opening arose or her opponent miscued. The unforced error margin combined with an uncharacteristically low first serve percentage for Keys translated into a dominant first major victory for Sloane Stephens. As a fan, it is hoped this becomes an all time great rivalry.

Reaction Score
Sloane Stephens! Enjoy the victory. You have earned it. I hope for a Sloane v Serena match in a major. That will be one epic little battle between two people who can't stand each other.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
How about all the young Americans. This open has been quite refreshing.

However, what is up with the, I think it's Umbro outfits, are we watching the 50's.
The person at Adidas who designed that cheerleader outfit for Halep should be fired.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very surprising. It was very weird how Madison played especially since in several of her early service games, she had multiple aces which seems to mean she was not too nervous at the start. She could not get the feel of her ground strokes. Hope to see a rematch soon at a major. The consolation embrace was beautiful and illustrates how close they are so it must have been hard on both. Nice to see later how both were just hanging out and joking with each other.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
stephens-check.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member