OT: U S Tennis Open... | The Boneyard

OT: U S Tennis Open...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
...is one week away, and story lines are a-poppin'. On the men's side 3 of last year's semifinalists
will be absent, including the 2016 champ Stan Wawrinka. Like him, Kei Nishikori and Novak have injuries.
And Murray and Federer will be less than 100%. Rafa seems healthiest among the big 4, and his #1 ranking makes him the favorite.
Three Americans, Jack Sock, John Isner, and Sam Querry are in and ranked in the top 20, but all in the lowest quadrent.
Excitement follow the young up-and-comers, Dominic Thiem, Nick Kyrgios, and Alexander Zverev.

Last year's champ will be delivering, no, not serves, but a newborn. Venus(#9) may not get her in the stands for her matches. Madison Keys is our only other top 20 player. Sloane Stephens has been a disappointment, but just had a good tournament.
And based on her performance yesterday, where Garbine Muguruza shellacked
Simona Halep, the Spaniard looks like a good bet. Carolina Pliskova and Elena Svitolina are given good chances also.
Long suspended Maria Sharapova has a wild card. Vika Azarenka is embroiled in a legal problem that may prevent her from talking her baby out of California, causing her to withdraw.
Samantha Stosur is out with a hand injury.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Men's tennis has always been most boring to me with so many aces and 2-3 shot rallies. The only player that interests me is Federer who is doing something incredible and his game is very diverse. It does not help that there are no Americans anywhere near title contention.

The women's game is always far more interesting and better to watch. Nice drama all over and an open field without Sereena. Looking for Madison Keys, Coco Vanderweigh or someone else to break through.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Last year's champ will be delivering, no, not serves, but a newborn.

Last year'a champ was Kerber. Serena last won the US Open in 2014, making the semis in both 2015 and 2016.

Reaction Score
I will say that the US Open (tennis) ranks up there with the Masters as among the best sporting events I've attended. My wife actually won a trip, all expenses paid travel, tickets, hotel, plus access to USTA transportation from hotel, behind the scenes tour of Ashe, practice courts, etc. Truly one of the neatest things we've done. We went heading into the first weekend and I think that's a nice time to go as you can get so close to relatively famous people.

Been an interesting year of Tennis this season for certain. Feel like we are due for Nadal or Murray, but maybe to get an American man in the quarters. That'd be nice.

Reaction Score
The Open is terrific, especially, as you say Gamecockfan77, the opening rounds. Relatively cheap and accessible tickets, and terrific grounds/food etc. Wish we could go this year, but not in the plans. (We've also gone to the women's warmup at Yale as well.) I've looked into Wimbledon and Roland Garros and--wow!--the cost and availability of tickets is just absolutely nutsy (not to mention, of course, the flight and hotels, but you are then in London or Paris which ain't half bad....).

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hope Halep slaughters Sharapova. Simona has been playing really well. Possibly the only players playing better are Muguruza and Pliskova, and it's debatable. All 3 are playing really well...

Reaction Score
Hope Halep slaughters Sharapova. Simona has been playing really well. Possibly the only players playing better are Muguruza and Pliskova, and it's debatable. All 3 are playing really well...

Not a Sharapova fan?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The 2nd of the big 4 won't take the court. Andy Murray's hip is too much a problem.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
My newspaper says ESPN2 begins coverage at 1pm, but there are also many matches at 11, including the Wimbledon champ, Muguruza.
Unfortunately the Tennis Channel is not allowed coverage.

Here's today's schedule of play.

us tennis open - Google Search

Now you will notice on the men's side that 4 11am matches are canceled. Murray's match is obvious, for we found out yesterday that he won'r play. The other matches include Querry and Cilic, and I have no explanation for the scratches.

us tennis open - Google Search

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The unlucky-at-wishes ericsandiego saw Maria show no rust, but for a lapse in set 2. Now Simona was hopeful that her match toughness would finally end Maria's domination, but we saw the combo of winners/unforced errors was enough to extend Simona's haplessness to 0-6. Simona proved again that she is a great retriever, but all that back-and-forthedness gave few opportunities to hit winners herself.
We saw the same problem at the French, when she was blown off the court.
Sloane prevailed over one-time US Open finalist Roberta Vinci.
Wimbledon semifinalist Johanna Konta was surprisingly dismissed.

Meanwhile, earlier Venus, like Maria, had a second set lapse vs. a low ranked player, whose 1st serve was formidable. But Venus was the steadier, closing out at 6-2. Since her debut here in 1997, Venus has never lost in the 1st round.

Fans of Jack Sock are dismayed that their man got bounced already. John Isner and Sam Querry lived up to their top 20 ranking.

Here's today's schedule of play, with our own Madison Keys#16 featured at 7, followed by Roger(past my bedtime)

Schedule of Play | Day 2: Tuesday, August 29 Schedule | Official Site of the 2017 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Halep has been losing big games for a while now but she played really well last night. Unfortunately, she was really over-matched against Sharapova. Brutal seeding match. Still, a very high quality game. Root against her if you want but Sharapova adds alot of buzz to the tournament. I hope see stays clean.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Sharapova's victory over a 2 seed will put to rest some of the comments that her performance has been drug enhanced. There were a number of issues around her drug suspension that raised questions of fairness of the penalties. IMO, some of the other players who leveled incredibly harsh criticism of her haven't won any tournament of consequence let alone at least one of each of the Grand Slams like MS has.
I'd like to see her win The Open if only to put the drug thing behind her. IMO she should be viewed as a role model for younger generations given how she has leveraged her tennis success( and yes, good looks) into a very healthy and successful business empire at the age of 30.

Reaction Score
I personally don't like the "good looks" part of her success (that wasn't hard work, just lucky genes), but I do believe she was wrongly or at least excessively punished.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Sharapova's victory over a 2 seed will put to rest some of the comments that her performance has been drug enhanced. There were a number of issues around her drug suspension that raised questions of fairness of the penalties. IMO, some of the other players who leveled incredibly harsh criticism of her haven't won any tournament of consequence let alone at least one of each of the Grand Slams like MS has.
I'd like to see her win The Open if only to put the drug thing behind her. IMO she should be viewed as a role model for younger generations given how she has leveraged her tennis success( and yes, good looks) into a very healthy and successful business empire at the age of 30.

I could not agree with you more. MS has built a very successful empire at the age of 30. She is truly an amazing talent and if her body will cooperate should continue to be a force on the tour for years to come. I personally will root for her post ban success.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Not a Sharapova fan?
I be a SUGARPOVA fan. I thought she looked fab in that slinky, black, cocktail dress.

upload_2017-8-29_19-4-53.png

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
American tennis fans are so longing for countrymen to emerge that will recall the Sampras/Agassi days.
Does Frances Tiafoe represent realistic hope? The 19 year old took Roger to 5 sets, including holding the legend to merely 1 game in the 4th. Roger finally prevailed with a 6-4 final set. Roger did withdraw from a recent warm-up event with back troubles.
So we'll see, as he goes forward.
Lots of rain Tuesday, so today's schedule will see many interrupted matches to finish. Should be dry today.
Venus is featured at 7 tonight.

Schedule of Play | Day 3: Wednesday, August 30 Schedule | Official Site of the 2017 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom