OT: U S Tennis Open... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: U S Tennis Open...

Reaction Score
I love Tiafoe! His game and his personality are big and he is what American tennis desperately needs.

Reaction Score
American tennis fans are so longing for countrymen to emerge that will recall the Sampras/Agassi days.
Does Frances Tiafoe represent realistic hope? The 19 year old took Roger to 5 sets, including holding the legend to merely 1 game in the 4th. Roger finally prevailed with a 6-4 final set. Roger did withdraw from a recent warm-up event with back troubles.
So we'll see, as he goes forward.
Lots of rain Tuesday, so today's schedule will see many interrupted matches to finish. Should be dry today.
Venus is featured at 7 tonight.

Schedule of Play | Day 3: Wednesday, August 30 Schedule | Official Site of the 2017 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

Venus cannot lose enough for me.

Reaction Score
Venus cannot lose enough for me.
wow. didn't see that coming.... To me, Venus is a real hero. She has played with a debilitating illness without complaint and has long supported the success of her younger sister. She is a person of great stature, dignity, and, well (and I usually hate this word, but it is so appropriate here) class.

As to the men's...sigh...Roger is still hurt. Too bad. A healthy Roger and a healthy Nadal, as they enter the twilights of their careers would be a wonderfully historic final.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
American tennis fans are so longing for countrymen to emerge that will recall the Sampras/Agassi days.
Does Frances Tiafoe represent realistic hope? The 19 year old took Roger to 5 sets, including holding the legend to merely 1 game in the 4th. Roger finally prevailed with a 6-4 final set.

I must admit it has been a very long time since I have watched a tennis match of any kind. I lucked out by happening to see the Tiafoe -Fedder match. I really enjoyed it. I must consider following this Tiafoe kid. I so much wanted him to win.

Reaction Score
On the subject of Venus.....not sure how you could root against her. She and Serena are national icons. Between the two of them , they have kept American tennis relevant. They have been such positive role models for young girls both domestically and internationally. Perhaps we take them for granted since they have been around for over 20 years in pro tennis but they are still playing at elite levels when most players their age have long retired.
While its is unlikely that Venus will reach the finals, I will be enthusiastically cheering her on in every match.

Reaction Score
Quite a disappointing tennis life, you have.

Why do you say that? It's ok not to root for an athlete right? I do like sharapova, Wozniacki, kerber, Bouchard. Men's game Federer, isner.. I grew up at the very tail end of conners, McEnroe and rooted for agasi, Sampras, Chang, courier etc.
I have a pretty rich tennis life.

Just not a Williams family fan. I have the right.

Reaction Score
Why do you say that? It's ok not to root for an athlete right? I do like sharapova, Wozniacki, kerber, Bouchard. Men's game Federer, isner.. I grew up at the very tail end of conners, McEnroe and rooted for agasi, Sampras, Chang, courier etc.

Am with you on this one....am a huge Venus fan but you are free to form your own opinion. I suspect we all have athletes that we are not fond of and even root against. God forbid if someone ever praised Pat Summit (may she RIP) on this board. It's all just entertainment and as consumers we pay the freight. Seems to me that alone gives you a right to make judgements.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Ok! Ok! Just a joke! See :D. Yes, some of us do remember Father Williams as being the original Father Ball of NBA notoriety. Both were/are more than a bit outrageous.

Reaction Score
Ok! Ok! Just a joke! See :D. Yes, some of us do remember Father Williams as being the original Father Ball of NBA notoriety. Both were/are more than a bit outrageous.

Agreed!

BTW I really have nothing personally against Venus. Serena seems nice. The dad, yeah a bit much or my tastes. We can all agree we love the huskies right!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Just like we give Dee a lot of leeway, because of her accomplishments, in my mind the same applies to Richard Williams. He is the architect of his daughters success, originally with no background in the sport. If you really know the family history, you must agree his off beat approach has fared amazingly well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
williams21n-1-web.jpg

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Notable attrition from yesterday. Round 2 saw the dismissal of the Woz, of Bouchard and Cibulkova, the latter to the immense joy of Sloane, who is making a comeback. She made 2 recent semifinals also.
Venus is through in 2 over a hard serving 20 year old. Venus may not be pleased with the # of strokes she netted. Her form needs to be better, though she still raises her game when needed. She had a 5-2 lead in the first set, e. g, and frittered away that advantage, Still, at 5-5 she commanded the next 2 games.
Coco, Shelby & McHale are into Round 3.

Among our men Fritz, Isner & Querry lost no sets.

Here is todays' schedule:

Schedule of Play | Day 4: Thursday, August 31 Schedule | Official Site of the 2017 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event
Note that Coco is given the 7pm featured start.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Notable attrition from yesterday. Round 2 saw the dismissal of the Woz, of Bouchard and Cibulkova, the latter to the immense joy of Sloane, who is making a comeback. She made 2 recent semifinals also.
I've always been a fan of Sloane. She is SO lowkey on the court - almost never seems to get excited, except maybe when the match is just over, but she was injured for a while wasn't she? So great to see her coming back strong. There seems to be fair number of young Americans who are rising up the ranks. The Williams' can't carry American tennis forever...

Reaction Score
I've always been a fan of Sloane. She is SO lowkey on the court - almost never seems to get excited, except maybe when the match is just over, but she was injured for a while wasn't she? So great to see her coming back strong. There seems to be fair number of young Americans who are rising up the ranks. The Williams' can't carry American tennis forever...

SS is awesome. Big fan. Very good demeanor!!! Much respect.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Another 5-setter for Roger in the early going. Makes one wonder how his back is.
And #7 Dimitrov is dispatched by a promising 19 year old Andrey Rublev.

Among the women our Shelby broke the record for longest US Open match ever, prevailing in a 3rd set tie-breaker.
And our Jennifer Brady, who made the Aussie 4th round, has a nice victory over #23 Strycova.
Madison Keys and Coco go on to the next round, but #8 old lady Svetlana Kuznetzova has gone down.

Today Venus gets an opponent who is all Greek to her. Maria Sakkari has met Venus once and went down.
John Isner leads all in aces, but we know what happens to him in later rounds. And he's lost twice the last matches with today's opponent.
Sharapova gets an American who we don't know, named Sofia Kenin.
Sloane & Querry on tap also.

The schedule of play:

Schedule of Play | Day 5: Friday, September 1 Schedule | Official Site of the 2017 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Oh, Venus...OK you are through to the round of 16, but your game was loaded with double faults and even (gasp) foot faults. Her coach says she's trying something new (?!) but needs a foot adjustment. Well against a #90 player when you are #9 didn't turn out to be a problem. But from here on, you can't be doing that. Next is Carla Suarez Navarro, a veteran, and you don't want to give her gifts.
If you get through, things get worse, for next is probably red hot Garbine Muguruza. Get hold of your self, girl!

ESPN2 is beginning earlier today. As I write the talking heads are goin strong.

The schedule:

Schedule of Play | Day 6: Saturday, September 2 Schedule | Official Site of the 2017 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
How about all the young Americans. This open has been quite refreshing.

However, what is up with the, I think it's Umbro outfits, are we watching the 50's.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Coco makes it through and it was nice to see her get the crowd going.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Summary so far,

1) American women putting on a good show with strong results in most cases.
2) American men have a long way to go.

Best moment for me is seeing Bethanie Mattek-Sands doing so well )emotionally) after her horrific knee injury which stopped her and team mate Luci Safarova from having a chance at the Grand Slam of women's doubles.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/ar...ying-us-open-court-life-especially-margaritas

P.S. She is in the commentator booth at the moment and she is exceptional. Sorry Chrissie, she will have your job pretty soon imho.

Reaction Score
Summary so far,

1) American women putting on a good show with strong results in most cases.
2) American men have a long way to go.

Best moment for me is seeing Bethanie Mattek-Sands doing so well )emotionally) after her horrific knee injury which stopped her and team mate Luci Safarova from having a chance at the Grand Slam of women's doubles.

Bethanie Mattek-Sands is enjoying the US Open off-court life -- especially the margaritas

P.S. She is in the commentator booth at the moment and she is exceptional. Sorry Chrissie, she will have your job pretty soon imho.

I don't think Chris Evert is very good, so I'm looking forward to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom