OT: Tiger - Not only a cheat . . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tiger - Not only a cheat . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Why is everyone saying Tiger cheated at the Masters. If he Intentionally Cheated, why then did he announce to the world in the post press round press conference that he marked his ball two yards back from the original spot. If he knew he was cheating, there was no way he would make that statement. The officials at the Masters reviewed the footage prior to Tiger signing his card and had determined he did nothing wrong. It was only after Tiger's statement that they decided he broke golf rules and penalized him the two shots. There's also been video footage that some say proves Tiger did not break any rules as he did put his ball much closer to the original spot then what he said he did. Tiger took the penalty without any complaints and played on. Shame the media and fans aren't able to do the same.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This morning I heard on the radio that one of the security around Tiger [marshal...or some other PGA staff member] said that he did in fact
tell Tiger that Sergio had hit. Did the marshal who said they didn't say anything to him not hear this other person....or is that marshal now 'lying'?
Or is the one who said he told Tiger about Sergio 'lying'?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That is exactly what I expect happened, blake. Too easy for too many incidental things to happen for anyone to be sure Tiger was lying. Plus he has left a bad taste in the mouths of many in the past giving them sufficient motivation to seek to embarass him.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He didn't lie. He thought he took a proper drop, the official told him it was ok so he signed the scorecard. To say he lied is just wrong.
To think he didn't know what he was doing is just naive. If we've learned anything about Tiger, we've learned he lies, cheats, and is a dirtbag. Just ask Elin.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
People either like, or dislike Tiger. If they dislike him, they are more likely inclined to think he lies, cheats, or worse. If they like him, they are more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think Tiger was a pig when it came to handling his family, and was glad to see him fall from the ranks of the elite at the time. But to call the guy a cheat and liar simply reflects on the person doing the name calling. There's zero evidence Tiger lied with regards to Sergio. In fact, there's evidence to the contrary.

I actually admire Tiger for calling out Sergio as a whiner and complainer, since it's not the first time Sergio has behaved that way. As for the scorecard thing, seriously? You can say he made a mistake, but liar? Cheater? I wasn't there so I can't speak to it. I don't know the circumstances, but from what I've read about it, that seems extreme.

Maybe part of the reason I feel "defensive" of Tiger is with regards to Geno. Mostly the fans who "hate" him are of the orange variety. Their views are ridiculously skewed, and are based on a hyper hatred of everything related to UCONN and Geno. Not only do they still make degrading comments about him personally, but also continuously call him a liar, cheat, slime, etc. Most objective (non UCONN or Tennessee fans) know those things are wrong, but that doesn't stop the crazies from chirping.

My point is, if one already really despises Tiger, they are much more likely to give zero benefit of doubt, and assume anything negative said about him is true.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
To think he didn't know what he was doing is just naive. If we've learned anything about Tiger, we've learned he lies, cheats, and is a dirtbag. Just ask Elin.

Earth to Meyers: We've also learned over the years that Tiger is a very calculating guy, like most control-freak types. If he really thought his drop was improper when he took it, he had plenty of time to think on it after the round was complete and before the presser, wherein he would not have opened his big fat mouth in describing his thought process (re: the drop) in so much detail.

Opinions vary as to what he should have done once the can of worms was opened. But in my book, cheating = a knowing violation at the time of commission, which this wasn't. And he wasn't lying in the presser - he openly copped to dropping back a short distance for advantage(!). I happen to think he would have done a great service to the game by W/D'ing after the dust had settled but as the tournament committee's decision was to assess 2 strokes, he had the option to play on, and did. I think Jack would have W/D in the same situation.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...has left a bad taste in the mouths of many in the past giving them sufficient motivation to seek to embarass...
-Well you’re right, of course, I’d have to agree. And its only natural, thereafter, that we hold the player to a higher standard than their opponents, and certainly ourselves, because
- Wait. Hold on. Aw, now I’m confused again. Hey, am I still on the We Hate Skylar thread, or is this the We Hate Tiger thread?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
People either like, or dislike Tiger. If they dislike him, they are more likely inclined to think he lies, cheats, or worse. If they like him, they are more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think Tiger was a pig when it came to handling his family, and was glad to see him fall from the ranks of the elite at the time. But to call the guy a cheat and liar simply reflects on the person doing the name calling. There's zero evidence Tiger lied with regards to Sergio. In fact, there's evidence to the contrary.

I actually admire Tiger for calling out Sergio as a whiner and complainer, since it's not the first time Sergio has behaved that way. As for the scorecard thing, seriously? You can say he made a mistake, but liar? Cheater? I wasn't there so I can't speak to it. I don't know the circumstances, but from what I've read about it, that seems extreme.

Maybe part of the reason I feel "defensive" of Tiger is with regards to Geno. Mostly the fans who "hate" him are of the orange variety. Their views are ridiculously skewed, and are based on a hyper hatred of everything related to UCONN and Geno. Not only do they still make degrading comments about him personally, but also continuously call him a liar, cheat, slime, etc. Most objective (non UCONN or Tennessee fans) know those things are wrong, but that doesn't stop the crazies from chirping.

My point is, if one already really despises Tiger, they are much more likely to give zero benefit of doubt, and assume anything negative said about him is true.

Agreed Eric. I have always liked Tiger. Therefore, he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. To say he cheats at anything other than marriage is without merit. I despise what he did to Elin. As a married man, I find that reprehensible. At the same time, to think Elin has not benefited from the marriage to Tiger is foolish. She may even be better off now, with $100 million reasons and freedom from the Tiger aura.

I would agree that Tiger isn't the greatest guy and doesn't have the best image regardless of his past transgressions during his marriage. He's known to be snobbish and arrogant, but damn he is a great golfer. I believe he holds the game on a very high pedestal and would not cheat at the game itself.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Nice catch CT....
If you follow this: "Two Players marshals, John North and Gary Anderson, were quoted by SI as saying that Woods didn't ask any marshals about Garcia's status, and none was given. "He didn't ask us nothing and we didn't say nothing," Anderson said to SI about Woods. "We're told not to talk to the players.""

With the use of the double - negative, it sounds to me like he did ask something and they did say something ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There's zero evidence Tiger lied with regards to Sergio. In fact, there's evidence to the contrary.
Well that's not true. There is evidence he lied. He said the Marshall's had cleared him, the Marshalls (at least one) said no they didn't. He's either lying or the Marshall is. I'm more inclined to believe the Marshall because we know Tiger is not above lying.

As for the scorecard thing, seriously? You can say he made a mistake, but liar? Cheater? I wasn't there so I can't speak to it. I don't know the circumstances, but from what I've read about it, that seems extreme.
Oh you guys are so naive. As some one posted Tiger is very calculating. He knew what he was doing. He's the best golfer in the world. He doesn't know the rules? He knows exactly what he can get away with.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Earth to Meyers: We've also learned over the years that Tiger is a very calculating guy,
Exactly! My point precisely. Well put.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Earth to Meyers: We've also learned over the years that Tiger is a very calculating guy, like most control-freak types. If he really thought his drop was improper when he took it, he had plenty of time to think on it after the round was complete and before the presser, wherein he would not have opened his big fat mouth in describing his thought process (re: the drop) in so much detail.

Opinions vary as to what he should have done once the can of worms was opened. But in my book, cheating = a knowing violation at the time of commission, which this wasn't. And he wasn't lying in the presser - he openly copped to dropping back a short distance for advantage(!). I happen to think he would have done a great service to the game by W/D'ing after the dust had settled but as the tournament committee's decision was to assess 2 strokes, he had the option to play on, and did. I think Jack would have W/D in the same situation.

I like the analysis. What I have trouble getting my head around is Tiger's admitted thought process. 'I can get an advantage by dropping back a few feet.' That very thought process screams violation. The whole incident is just very strange and golf is the loser in this little melodrama.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well that's not true. There is evidence he lied. He said the Marshall's had cleared him, the Marshalls (at least one) said no they didn't. He's either lying or the Marshall is. I'm more inclined to believe the Marshall because we know Tiger is not above lying.

Oh you guys are so naive. As some one posted Tiger is very calculating. He knew what he was doing. He's the best golfer in the world. He doesn't know the rules? He knows exactly what he can get away with.
Perfect example of my point. Thanks for helping me make it! And calling those who don't agree with you "naive" is also a perfect example of childishness directed at those who disagree with you. But hey, haters are gonna hate!

Reaction Score
Tiger's agent from the Yahoo article: "The comments from the marshals in today's story definitively show that Tiger was telling the truth about being told Sergio had hit. I hope this demonstrates to some reporters the importance of accuracy and not jumping to misplaced conclusions.''

Media reporters are aware that there is a segment of the population that hates Tiger, has hated him since before he turned pro and will hate him long after he retires. Some in the media pander to them. So when anything happens that can remotely be interpreted as showing Tiger in a bad light they leap on it like gulls at the beach eating a discarded sandwich, never stopping to fact check as they fall over each other to be the first to throw a shovel of dirt on Tiger.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The whole backswing bru ha ha is silly for reasons discussed at length above. Tiger took a drop after his drive hit the water that was "aggressive" at best. That could be worthy of discussion, but as the PGA observed, the judgment is left to the player and his playing partner. Tiger's recovery shot was a thing of beauty, but, in truth, the drop should have been easily 80 or more yards back toward the tee.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The whole backswing bru ha ha is silly for reasons discussed at length above. Tiger took a drop after his drive hit the water that was "aggressive" at best. That could be worthy of discussion, but as the PGA observed, the judgment is left to the player and his playing partner. Tiger's recovery shot was a thing of beauty, but, in truth, the drop should have been easily 80 or more yards back toward the tee.
So, are you saying the playing partner cheated for Tiger? What are you basing your eighty yard estimate on?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No, doggy, I am not saying that at all. I do not think anyone cheated. The overhead (blimp?) shot of Tiger's drive had his ball cross into the water hazard very far back from where it touched down in roughly the middle of the water. He dropped it almost laterally from the point where splashed down. That is why the commentator called it very aggressive. But the rules leave it to the players to make the call and they did and that is that. There were a number of gold media folk commenting on it the next day. I was watching live and that 80 yards is just an eye ball guess. The ball crossed into the hazard very far back from where Tiger dropped it. Just one of the vagaries of the game. My point was there was more to discuss there than that whole silly tee fiasco.

Reaction Score
No, doggy, I am not saying that at all. I do not think anyone cheated. The overhead (blimp?) shot of Tiger's drive had his ball cross into the water hazard very far back from where it touched down in roughly the middle of the water. He dropped it almost laterally from the point where splashed down. That is why the commentator called it very aggressive. But the rules leave it to the players to make the call and they did and that is that. There were a number of gold media folk commenting on it the next day. I was watching live and that 80 yards is just an eye ball guess. The ball crossed into the hazard very far back from where Tiger dropped it. Just one of the vagaries of the game. My point was there was more to discuss there than that whole silly tee fiasco.
I thought he got a break on that drop, but the guy that is supposed to protect the field said he had a perfect view and it was correct. You know what, those guys have pretty good eyes and distance judgment. It's over in my opinion.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I thought he got a break on that drop, but the guy that is supposed to protect the field said he had a perfect view and it was correct. You know what, those guys have pretty good eyes and distance judgment. It's over in my opinion.

Ditto. It's over. My point was this one should have never begun. But, it is free country and the IRS is unlikely to audit either side!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom