OT: This was not the Patriots year. We knew that. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: This was not the Patriots year. We knew that.

Reaction Score
The Pats D is an unmitigated dumpster fire.

Not sure there are any quick fixes. I would see what it would to trade up and take Vita Vea. They need to build their defense through the middle. Start with a monster NT.

Definitely don’t see them getting back to Super Bowl anytime soon.

Reaction Score
For the Patriots fans: If you're at a point where all the other fan bases hate your team, you're doing something right. God I loved it when everyone else hated UConn. Nobody hates the Cleveland Browns right now.

Reaction Score
The whole arguing over which fan bases are the "realest" is probably the lamest thing that people do. Give it a couple years and the "I don't remember this many Eagles fans before 2017" posts will start to pop up. These things typically come down to three factors: when the franchise was conceived, how soon they became good, and both how many people a city has and what percentage they retain.

I think it's fair to say that the Pats saw a big influx when they started winning titles, but the more significant one may have occurred when they hired Parcells. E

Reaction Score
I skipped 7 pages of this hideous thread, mostly because people are trolling while they have the chance. However, CT had a lot of Pats fans in the eastern half of CT and some in Hartford County. I’d say the lines are drawn just like the Red Sox/Yankees lines. In Tolland County there has always been a ton of Pats fans. The big issue was the Pats sucked. In 86’ and 97’ the following was obvious. I’d say terrible teams destroy fandom, UConn fans can relate.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing the Malcolm Butler benching story that's out there that he was benched by Belichick for smoking pot and being late. This sounds more like something that would come down from Kraft. Belichick allowed a crackhead/rapist to play for him with the Giants. I doubt he would ban someone for pot.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There were a lot of Patriots fans in Connecticut in the 1980’s and 1990’s, but it was just hard to see them.

You see, they were in their larval stage back then and in their larval stage, they’re actually Giants’ fans.

It wasn’t until they emerged from their pupas in the early 2000’s that they became beautiful Patriots’ fans.

Reaction Score
There were a lot of Patriots fans in Connecticut in the 1980’s and 1990’s, but it was just hard to see them.

You see, they were in their larval stage back then and in their larval stage, they’re actually Giants’ fans.

It wasn’t until they emerged from their pupas in the early 2000’s that they became beautiful Patriots’ fans.

You're trying too hard

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing the Malcolm Butler benching story that's out there that he was benched by Belichick for smoking pot and being late. This sounds more like something that would come down from Kraft. Belichick allowed a crackhead/rapist to play for him with the Giants. I doubt he would ban someone for pot.

Belichick benched Welker for making mildly obtuse comments about Rex Ryan's foot fetish. For a big a playoff game when Gronk was injured.

Don't put it past Belichick. Furthermore, he is being very kind to Butler by not sabotaging his next contract with another team (although no doubt any team will get to the bottom of it, but they don't need a PR backlash from fans of the team that signs him).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're trying too hard

I’m 100% right which is why you’re so bothered.

I’m sure there are some long-time Patriots fans, but scratch a Pats’ fan in Connecticut and you’ll see the original Giant blue paint.

Reaction Score
The NFL wanted to overturn the Clement & Ertz TDs desperately but they knew it would evaporate the .000001% of credibility they have left.

Reaction Score
I’m 100% right which is why you’re so bothered.

I’m sure there are some long-time Patriots fans, but scratch a Pats’ fan in Connecticut and you’ll see the original Giant blue paint.

I was referring to your floppy attempt at humor.

Reaction Score
I skipped 7 pages of this hideous thread, mostly because people are trolling while they have the chance. However, CT had a lot of Pats fans in the eastern half of CT and some in Hartford County. I’d say the lines are drawn just like the Red Sox/Yankees lines. In Tolland County there has always been a ton of Pats fans. The big issue was the Pats sucked. In 86’ and 97’ the following was obvious. I’d say terrible teams destroy fandom, UConn fans can relate.

I went to school in Massachusetts before and after the 2001-2004 run.. Before 2001 there was more Steelers fans at my school than Patriots fans.

Reaction Score

Who did LT rape while with the Giants?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Most Pats fans under 35-40, came about it organically. They grew up winning.

Reaction Score
Most Pats fans under 35-40, came about it organically. They grew up winning.

That would mean the 35-40 yr old demo didn't start rooting for the team until ages 18-23, if they grew up winning as you say. Most ordinary fans I know grow up rooting for their teams, they don't wait until College to choose a team. That's the definition of a bandwagoner

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That would mean the 35-40 yr old demo didn't start rooting for the team until ages 18-23, if they grew up winning as you say. Most ordinary fans I know grow up rooting for their teams, they don't wait until College to choose a team. That's the definition of a bandwagoner

All the excitement started w Drew Bledsoe (#1 pick) and Bill Parcells (HOF coach) and the Superbowl run in 1996. That's when we all got into it when I was younger. There was a future there, excitement, potential. Just to throw a number on it, a kid that was 14 years old in 96 is 36 now.

Sure the fan base grew after 2001, but that's the way for any team, any sport. Happened for UCONN too. Barely anyone knew they existed before 1990. The fan base grew as they won more.

Don't understand the fascination with 'bandwagon' fans. That's fandom everywhere. When teams are good, far more people like them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All the excitement started w Drew Bledsoe (#1 pick) and Bill Parcells (HOF coach) and the Superbowl run in 1996. That's when we all got into it when I was younger. There was a future there, excitement, potential. Just to throw a number on it, a kid that was 14 years old in 96 is 36 now.

Sure the fan base grew after 2001, but that's the way for any team, any sport. Happened for UCONN too. Barely anyone knew they existed before 1990. The fan base grew as they won more.

Don't understand the fascination with 'bandwagon' fans. That's fandom everywhere. When teams are good, far more people like them.

I think it's more about the fans that changed alliances. And there are a lot.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think it's more about the fans that changed alliances. And there are a lot.

Could be, I don't know any; so I've no idea. I knew maybe 1 or 2 Giants fan growing up in CT. And I'm betting most Giants fans of a certain age in CT were only that due to Parcells, Taylor and crew.

Reaction Score
Could be, I don't know any; so I've no idea. I knew maybe 1 or 2 Giants fan growing up in CT. And I'm betting most Giants fans of a certain age in CT were only that due to Parcells, Taylor and crew.

Nah. CT has always been Giants territory. The Pats have only been in the NFL since 1970. It's changed due to bandwagoners in the last 15 years or so.

Reaction Score
I went to school in Massachusetts before and after the 2001-2004 run.. Before 2001 there was more Steelers fans at my school than Patriots fans.

Yeah, well, I went to school in Boston. There were a lot of Giants and Jets and Cowboys fans. That may have been because 40% of the population of the school was from NYC and 20% International!

Reaction Score
Nah. CT has always been Giants territory. The Pats have only been in the NFL since 1970. It's changed due to bandwagoners in the last 15 years or so.

Why do you think Kraft wanted to move the Patriots to Connecticut? For $$$. Yes. But he was taking a risk without a fanbase. It could be because he knew that at the time, 25% of his season ticket holders were from Connecticut!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom