OT: The Open | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: The Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly I think the pressure will get to him I see a 75 or so from him
He was money today, but if he was to win, who does the winners purse go too? Or does he just turn pro at the 19th hole?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
He was money today, but if he was to win, who does the winners purse go too? Or does he just turn pro at the 19th hole?
According to golfsmith.com:
Competing in a professional golf tournament -- possibly against stars such as Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson -- could be an incredible thrill for some amateur golfers. Actually winning the tournament would be even more spectacular, and would result in a nice trophy -- but no prize money.

So whoever comes in second gets 1st place prize money but no trophy or title.

No amateur has won a major since 1933 (US Open).

Phil was the last amateur to win on the PGA in 1991 (Northern Telecom Open).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
According to golfsmith.com:
Competing in a professional golf tournament -- possibly against stars such as Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson -- could be an incredible thrill for some amateur golfers. Actually winning the tournament would be even more spectacular, and would result in a nice trophy -- but no prize money.

So whoever comes in second gets 1st place prize money but no trophy or title.

No amateur has won a major since 1933 (US Open).

Phil was the last amateur to win on the PGA in 1991 (Northern Telecom Open).

I don't know if it's different because this is the British but I was under the assumption ams on the PGA tour can take their payday and lose their status after the tournament is over.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I don't know if it's different because this is the British but I was under the assumption ams on the PGA tour can take their payday and lose their status after the tournament is over.
Yes/No, not sure - The USGA requires them to sign a waiver prior to playing the tournament that they cannot accept prize money (aside from a hole in one or less than $750). So in the US, they cannot receive money regardless.

This is all from this article on golfsmith: Amateur Status

Not sure if the USGA has any jurisdiction over The Open Championship or of they have to sign a similar waiver.

But if the kid wins, he goes pro on Tuesday, signs multi million dollar endorsements and probably won't care about the money from the Open Championship.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes/No, not sure - The USGA requires them to sign a waiver prior to playing the tournament that they cannot accept prize money (aside from a hole in one or less than $750). So in the US, they cannot receive money regardless.

This is all from this article on golfsmith: Amateur Status

Not sure if the USGA has any jurisdiction over The Open Championship or of they have to sign a similar waiver.

But if the kid wins, he goes pro on Tuesday, signs multi million dollar endorsements and probably won't care about the money from the Open Championship.

Thanks - I thought they could turn pro and take the money.

Reaction Score
The idea that Tiger wouldn't be a professional if his costs exceeded his revenues is silly. Very strange definition of professional.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Spieth. But Dunne wouldn't be too bad. Whatever makes my Under Armour stock go up Monday afternoon/Tuesday. ;)

Reaction Score
My team is doing quite well, even without Tiger for the weekend. I just need Oosthuizen to have a solid day and remain around the lead and I should finish in the top 10% or so.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Completely fragile psyche. Classic frontrunner who folds at the first thing of adversity. Irony is that DJ is the type of athlete that Wayne and other greats feast off of in the limelight.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It is. These crazy scores make it look like they are playing River Highlands as opposed to a major...
Watch what happens on the back - weather coming up - toughest holes - most pressure.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see -14 win.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
I still think Spieth wins he was in the same situation at Chambers Bay but with less holes remaining

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
This is gonna be a crazy finish, gotta pull for speith myself when is someone gonna have a chance at the first 3 majors of the year again, history.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Quite the finish coming up, if there isn't a playoff I'd be pretty surprised at this point.

Reaction Score
It is. These crazy scores make it look like they are playing River Highlands as opposed to a major...

Exactly...they said the rough was thinned out and it shows...I miss the days when they couldn't hit the ball more than 50 yards from the heather...this course is sooo wide open and taking out the rough really changes the course IMO

Reaction Score
Great playing today. Thought the telecast was really bad. Didn't have the top of the leaderboard up enough, didn't really give enough on "this guy needs to this to win." Just my opinion, and I wasn't watching every shot, but just seemed really uninformative. Day and Spieth make the sport much more watchable for me. Fun to watch young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom