OT: The Open | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stick a fork in Tiger, he is done until the senior tour.

Reaction Score
Stick a fork in Tiger, he is done until the senior tour.

I don't see how anyone can be confident in that kind of statement. 10 years is a long time.

Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone can be confident in that kind of statement. 10 years is a long time.

I guess I'd ask this. How many golfers go into this type of funk then resurface out of it? That's not even taking into account his physical ailments over the last few years (knee, back, wrist).

Reaction Score
I guess I'd ask this. How many golfers go into this type of funk then resurface out of it? That's not even taking into account his physical ailments over the last few years (knee, back, wrist).

It happens from time to time. I mean, it's not that rare for people you haven't heard of in ages to appear on the leaderboards again.

I'm not taking the position that Tiger will surpass Jack, or that he'll return to #1, but to say "he's done" is completely different. Betting against him winning tournaments at some point in the future is silly. He's 18 months separated from being the player of the year.

Reaction Score

Just a hunch, the harder he tries, the harder it becomes. Obviously he probably can turn it around at some point, but today the front 9 was playing as easy at it gets and he made a mess of it.

Reaction Score
It happens from time to time. I mean, it's not that rare for people you haven't heard of in ages to appear on the leaderboards again.

I'm not taking the position that Tiger will surpass Jack, or that he'll return to #1, but to say "he's done" is completely different. Betting against him winning tournaments at some point in the future is silly. He's 18 months separated from being the player of the year.

I'm not talking about showing back up on a leaderboard or winning a random PGA tourney. I'm saying, name someone who went through such a dramatic mental decline (and physical as well) that ever got back, even CLOSE, to his prior form?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not sure how you could speak in absolutes about something like that.

As one of the commentators noted, "He doesn't need another golf lesson. He needs counseling on how to think."

Reaction Score
I think he just has to play more. Has to forget about his ego and show up at the Travelers type tournaments. You can only do so much work on the range

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about showing back up on a leaderboard or winning a random PGA tourney. I'm saying, name someone who went through such a dramatic mental decline (and physical as well) that ever got back, even CLOSE, to his prior form?

If your definition of not being "done" is him going back to being able to win majors by 10+ strokes... okay, he's done. I think we knew that.

Reaction Score

Steve Blass?

Rick Ankiel (the pitcher?)

It's real bad

Reaction Score
It was amazing. But as a pitcher he never recovered and he was a stud immediately. Suddenly the backstop had a better shot than a strike.

Reaction Score
Tiger looking more like David Duval every day.

I never wanted him to break Jack's record but now I actually feel bad for him.

Reaction Score
lol, I woke up to watch what I assumed would be DVR'd coverage of the end of the 2nd round, and watched 30 minutes of players unable to mark their balls without them rolling uncontrollably around the green. Crazy out there, but I guess I didn't miss anything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
lol, I woke up to watch what I assumed would be DVR'd coverage of the end of the 2nd round, and watched 30 minutes of players unable to mark their balls without them rolling uncontrollably around the green. Crazy out there, but I guess I didn't miss anything.

It was insane they even tried to play. Speith worried about Johnson's ball blowing into his was pretty funny though.

Poor decision making to send them out there.

Reaction Score
Deepster said:
name someone who went through such a dramatic mental decline (and physical as well) that ever got back, even CLOSE, to his prior form?

Tom Watson?

Reaction Score
I'm saying, name someone who went through such a dramatic mental decline (and physical as well) that ever got back, even CLOSE, to his prior form?

I know this is golf talk, but many great athletes 'take a break' whether injury or retirement and never regain prior form.

Michael Jordan, Ali, and others. I think its a case with Tiger that the field has caught and passed him. We are talking about professionals (best in the world), not amateurs or recreational players. There is no more fear factor or skills advantage, all that is gone.

I often wonder why he plays only majors with his declining play. Tournaments like the one in Cromwell would seem to be a good strategy to regain some sort of confidence and consistent play. He is getting his arse kicked week in and week out. His ego must be unparalleled.

Reaction Score
I often wonder why he plays only majors with his declining play.
If he thought that playing minors would help him win Majors, he would.
I'm pretty comfortable that if he thought eating raw mealy worms would help him win a major, his chefs would be figuring out ways to make them simply irresistible - maybe on a bed of al dente linguini with a light fontonaise sauce.
The reason he's not playing more is almost certainly because he knows that his body can't take it. If he plays at more minors and gets hurt, then he doesnt' play the majors. Tough spot to be in, but "2nd greatest career of all time" and "best golfer in his prime" are pretty nice titles.
My opinion is that Tiger is done and won't do didly on the senior tour either - it's a combination of shot mind and shot body.

Reaction Score
If he thought that playing minors would help him win Majors, he would.
I'm pretty comfortable that if he thought eating raw mealy worms would help him win a major, his chefs would be figuring out ways to make them simply irresistible - maybe on a bed of al dente linguini with a light fontonaise sauce.
The reason he's not playing more is almost certainly because he knows that his body can't take it. If he plays at more minors and gets hurt, then he doesnt' play the majors. Tough spot to be in, but "2nd greatest career of all time" and "best golfer in his prime" are pretty nice titles.
My opinion is that Tiger is done and won't do didly on the senior tour either - it's a combination of shot mind and shot body.
Good point about his injuries, I didn't consider that. Is he making money playing golf? Sure he has it to spend, but if he's losing (and spending) money playing golf he's technically not a professional anymore. Perhaps he is done, I don't see him catching the field. Winning solves all of this, but I'm just saying minor tournaments is his best chance.

Reaction Score
Pretty nice moment for Watson to finish. They made sure to get that done yesterday and that was smart although I am sure there were guys on the course who would have liked to have been there. Definitely the best to play out there at least from the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom