OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread

Reaction Score
My favorite soup I've made recently.
Easy Sausage, Kale, and Black-Eyed Pea Soup With Lemon and Rosemary Recipe

The texture of the black-eyed peas when you do it right is just awesome. Plump and then they burst in your mouth like mini soup dumplings. The balance of the fatty and salty sausage, acidic lemon, bitter greens, and sweet beans is perfect. Make sure to season well, especially if you make your own stock (or buy a low sodium stock). Really do recommend the partial blending as well, makes it taste more hearty and less watery, but because you don't blend the whole thing you still get the nice chunky texture.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Italian round from Calandra’s Bakery in NJ. First and Last is good... sourdough at j. Gilbert’s...any of the homemade breads at Hotcakes in East Windsor.

Reaction Score
Best type: Sourdough

Best Restaurant Bread Basket: The Original First and Last, Hartford
The sweet cinnamon raisin bread is what makes the basket. That is the signature piece of bread that makes the basket...GO. The other pieces of bread IMO are average.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Instant Pot sucks at a lot of things but it’s great for soups and stocks. Whenever we get a rotisserie chicken the scraps all go in with carrots, celery, onion, etc... comes out great.

You don't even have to bother with the rotisserie chicken - we just chuck a whole 5-pound bird in.

I take the skin off the bird though - don't have to bother with the fat separator afterwords if you do that.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Milite’s italian.

Brooklyn baking co’s rye.

Reaction Score
Any baguette they make from scratch in Paris. Lived there for a bit. No comparison. Used to buy one and eat the entire thing before I got home

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
In b4 Augie starts talking about casu marzu!

My cheese knowledge and consumption is modest. I like it all. From the good stuff down to Velveeta and Cheez whiz. Im not fussy, nor a connsosieur.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Cheese injected with cream--what's not to love?!?
For you lactose intolerant boy? Oh I don't know... colon activation?

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Italian bread is the alpha/omega of bread. Thick crispy crust and a firm texture.

1549664954438.png

Reaction Score
There's a shop in New York called Murray's Cheese. I've been to a couple classes there. One was a pairing of six cheeses and six beers. Hosts were a cheese expert and a beer expert. Lot of fun. They make all their own cheeses and you can tour their caves. Quite a variety but they are pretty pricey.

CL82

Reaction Score
Hot take!

Bread is waaaaaay overrated. Just filler. I’m half Italian too, bread is basically a deity to them.
1549665348024.png

"What?! Are you ffing kidding me?"​

Reaction Score
It’s the Corona of soups for me; i.e., one of very few I actively dislike. And I love clam chowder. Especially Rhode Island.
Rhode Island is easily second. New England, the worst.

Reaction Score
Some farm fresh raw milk, a rennet I brought back from Italy and I'm into fresh basket cheese, a quick favorite. Letting it age gives me a very nice primosale. However, not to discriminate I also indulge on Manchego, Parm-reggiano, Mozz a Bufalo, taleggio, cacio cavallo, crotonese, gruyere, and auricchio provolone. My kinda thread!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For you lactose intolerant boy. Oh I don't know... colon activation?
I don't have a terrible case and for some reason cheese doesn't cause as much discomfort as, say, a glass of whole milk. Most times no issues at all. That said, I loved burrata the first few times I had it several years ago but haven't been as crazy about it since. It was more of a novelty for me, but not an incredible taste sensation. I'd rather spend my cheese calories on something more tasty.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Just because something has the word cheese in it, or cheez, does not make it cheese.

Reaction Score
Im a fan of all cheeses, although I love spicy food, pepper jack is my favorite.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Brioche is simply the ultimate breakfast bread. The best French toast, a great waffle cheat - just throw it in a waffle iron, or croque monsieur cheats using egg instead of bechamel for a ham & cheese breakfast sammy. Can't beat it.

We've luckily got a great bakery out here called Mediterra. The owner spent $50K on a Levain sourdough starter from Paris before he opened for business. Most of the stuff they put out is tremendous, from sourdoughs to farmer's breads to olive loaves and cheese breads, and something they call "Mt. Athos". They supplied our bagels (NY water style) and ciabatta rolls for panini when I had my coffeehouse. Otherwise the bread here sucks. The stuff native Pittsburghers love the most has no crust to speak of. Insipid crap.

Anyway, remember when the custom used to be to wait till end of hoops season for OT threads? I guess the season is over, eh?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom