OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. Great fried fish, shrimp, scallops, and especially whole belly cally clams are right up there with great pizza.
The shrimp are good, but honestly the rest don’t do it for me. It’s also very possible I’ve just never had good fried fish. Pan seared scallops are the way to go. Can’t stand whole belly’s.

Reaction Score
41a.gif

Against Jews or against chickens? Or just Jew chickens?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She might be hard-pressed to find autumn leaves for the table garnish.
We put them down by the bushel in the fall so we have them available all year round. The key is using an Instapot to dry them out.

Reaction Score
I like some southern soups/chowders....

She crab soup (a Carolina favorite)...with a touch of sherry..(it is the roe inclusion that adds flavor).

African peanut soup...chicken, sweet potato, carrot, onion, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, curry, cayenne, red pepper flakes...and a handful of other spices/ingredients..until the last ingredient...crunchy peanut butter...(yeah, sounds horrible...tastes good).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wow. I remember that place but haven't thought of it in forever.
It was good and the first southwest place I can recall in the area.

Amore and Hope Street Pizza still going.

Yeah, I talked a few times with Harry, the owner, who basically just a recent grad himself. Difference being he was Harvard and had big ideas about branding and franchising. I guess he overextended himself on just that location. It was excellent though. Too bad it only lasted a couple years. He used to let me try new menu items for free. Brunswick stew was one of those.

I thought Amore closed a couple years ago when the owner retired, but guess a new Food Network guy bought and reopened it. I used to be able to walk there. Solid pizza back then. Won the Stamford Pizza Tour. Never in the area now since we sold my mom's house, but wouldn't mind moving back there. Housing stock sucks, but it was always a solid neighborhood, easy access to the train station, and some perfectly fine commuter bars and food. Even a Colony knockoff (Vinny's Backyard). Was just looking at pizza options there and saw something called "Bronx House" where the old Machlett factory used to be. Intrigued...

Reaction Score
Love soups/stews/chilis especially in the winter.

Instant pot shines for all of those listed above.

My favorites (made either on stove, in oven, or in instant pot) in no particular order:

-NE clam chowder - made with fresh steamed clams dug from the Brewster flats. With Small diced potatoes, crisp bacon, fresh parsley & thyme. Very light on the cream so it’s consistency is somewhere between NE & RI chowder. One of my favorite things to do on Cape vacations

-Butternut squash soup - I’ll usually purée up some adobo peppers and add it for a nice balance of sweet & heat.

-Beef & Guinness stew - add only carrots, spices, onion, thyme, garlic. serve over mashed potatoes. Yum!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
. . . chicken stock . . . [is] the best part of buying those emergency-I-have-nothing-for-dinner-tonight supermarket rotisserie chickens.
Yep, along with the veggie scraps recommendation above.

Hmm, rainy day, might be time to look in the freezer and see if there's some stock . . . or otherwise get a rotisserie chicken tonight on my way home from Hamden music, or tomorrow if I venture into Milford's "shopping belt."

Reaction Score
I like some southern soups/chowders....

She crab soup (a Carolina favorite)...with a touch of sherry..(it is the roe inclusion that adds flavor).

African peanut soup...chicken, sweet potato, carrot, onion, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, curry, cayenne, red pepper flakes...and a handful of other spices/ingredients..until the last ingredient...crunchy peanut butter...(yeah, sounds horrible...tastes good).
I love She-crab soup.

Reaction Score
what part of the chicken?

Lol hate to break this to you. My grandfather owned a chicken farm for many many years. Said the chickens that weren't cream of crop he would pump them up and make them look like the cream of the crop them sell them to the Jewish buyers for more than the better birds he would sell to his fellow paisan

Granted things have changed since those days but your mom probably bought some of the bottom feeding chickens

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Are they really that good? I keep passing by every time i've gone home to visit and have been really wanting to stop in and try it.
They really are. BYOB too. I usually do takeout though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We put them down by the bushel in the fall so we have them available all year round. The key is using an Instapot to dry them out.
I like finishing them off on the grill with pimento sticks.

Reaction Score
However, it implies you actually keep Wonder bread in your house.
I cannot, for the life of me, wrap my mind around anyone, anywhere intentionally eating white bread, for any reason when there are numerous readily available choices. I simply do not understand it at all.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Lol hate to break this to you. My grandfather owned a chicken farm for many many years. Said the chickens that weren't cream of crop he would pump them up and make them look like the cream of the crop them sell them to the Jewish buyers for more than the better birds he would sell to his fellow paisan

Granted things have changed since those days but your mom probably bought some of the bottom feeding chickens
wait, wut? (if ever an appropriate introductory response, here, now.) this is epic pazzo, stoonahd on steroids. here, i'll say it--ur gramps was/is a … ah, whatever, li mortaaci tua.
(ps. I once bought a proposed ct. shoreline subdivision cheap because 30+ experts passed on it cuz 'it was all bedrock, and would require weeks of blasting..' I was like 'u all trippin, gimme dat.' day and 1/2 blasting = small apt building in pac heights, noice. maybe i'll ask berye mike to cut u off from his chosuv 'za?)

Reaction Score
I cannot, for the life of me, wrap my mind around anyone, anywhere intentionally eating white bread, for any reason when there are numerous readily available choices. I simply do not understand it at all.
White bread and wonder bread are not the same thing. Wonder bread is basically dessert.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom