OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good soups in boston. Tell me where.

Reaction Score
As for local...I think the onion soup @ Abigail's is terrific and worth a try.

1549596336997.png

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Three of my faves to cook after work:

Morrocan Chicken Stew.
Roasted Beef, Mushroom and Barley Soup and...
Ckicken and Barley Soup with Baby Spinach.

Fave soup at a food service joint was a tomato soup at Breugger's Bagels.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Three of my faves to cook after work:

Morrocan Chicken Stew.
Roasted Beef, Mushroom and Barley Soup and...
Ckicken and Barley Soup with Baby Spinach.

Fave soup at a food service joint was a tomato soup at Breugger's Bagels.
Moroccan Chicken is so good and so easy in the crockpot.

Reaction Score
Nothing like home made or made from scratch at a good restaurant.
Recently tried a new recipe. Italian sausage browned, chicken broth, yams, kale, onion.
Simple,tasty, hearty.

Family recipe for Greek yogurt soup (think cream based chicken soup). Also Mom’s recipe for French onion soup.

Leagle Seafood clam chowder. Any soup from Supreme Seafood in North Branford

Reaction Score
The best soup I ever had was wild turkey soup made from recently shot wild turkeys at the Hermitage in Vermont.

Reaction Score
Manhattan clam chowder shouldn't even be called Manhattan clam chowder. It has nothing to do with NYC and it's basically just a cr@ppy cioppino.

Mexicans and Asians seem to take soup to a whole other level.

Reaction Score
Tom Yum Noodle Soup, Duck Noodle Soup, Seafood Noodle Soup. Add in Chile Sauce, Siracha Sauce and Fish Sauce.

Reaction Score
Soup for me is a labor of love. I save the discards of vegetable prep, nothing rotten ever, but more like ends of broccoli, carrots, onions etc., garlic bottoms, anything I think will lend flavor and nutrients. Put it in a zip lock bag, keep it in your freezer and continue to add to it. I add to this all bones from the table and freeze these also. Once you have two bags worth, good size bags, maybe 2qt or so x two you are ready to make a good stock. Simmer/boil on low for a day or so, more like two, adding water when necessary in a 7.5qt pot. Move it around as much as you want with a big spoon. Take your time, when you think you're done, most things in this pot are unidentifiable, you've cooked it down.

Strain this a couple of times thru a wire screen strainer regular width, allow to get chilled overnight, then remove top layer of fat which has congealed. You are ready to proceed. If it is bitter at all maybe from chicken bones add some sugar to taste, not much.

At this point based on the flavor of your stock decide what kind of soup you want to make. Select a meat, select your veggies, lentils or beans, rice or barley, potatoes, etc. Flavor your meat by sauteing it first. Add your beans and harder vegetables first, then later your quartered mushrooms, noodles etc.

Know your timing. Actually making the soup, the cooking of it, really only depends upon your slowest cooking ingredient but there are no exacts. The longer it cooks without making mush out of your veggies the better. Better flavors, better broth. If using beef to cook take your time til it's tender. Add any spices you think you might need. Don't F it up, it won't need much at all.

The stock is so vitamin and nutrient rich it is a blessing. Very healthy, liquid gold. Very flavorful. Good stock is a culinary delight.

There are only 3 ways to create flavor in soup. The stock, the ingredients you add, spices. Stock is the backbone, hard to get a really great soup without it.

You have to have a natural feel for how much of each ingredient you add, I don't use recipes. When finishing broth/water level should be about one inch from top. Plenty of soup to go around, freeze some for other days.

Delicious! Make it a little different each time. For vegetable soup use no bones or meat. Same principles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good soups in boston. Tell me where.

Anywhere thats asian central like China Town, even some of the neighboring towns like Malden(huge Asian population) the down town area you can't miss them.

Reaction Score
Like beer, it’s almost Pavlovian for me now; I begin to feel discomfort just thinking about it.

I actually was shellfish intolerant for a few years, but have been able to introduce it back a bit.

Even when it would make me sick to my stomach, my mouth would water thinking about the Manhattan chowder at Surfside or the Dock in Montauk.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The only time I ever feel like soup is a good idea is when I’m sick. That soup will never be Manhattan clam chowder, though.

One of the best uses for an instant pot is chicken soup. Takes all of about 25 minutes, plus whatever time it takes to chop some veggies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Soup for me is a labor of love. I save the discards of vegetable prep, nothing rotten ever, but more like ends of broccoli, carrots, onions etc., garlic bottoms, anything I think will lend flavor and nutrients. Put it in a zip lock bag, keep it in your freezer and continue to add to it. I add to this all bones from the table and freeze these also. Once you have two bags worth, good size bags, maybe 2qt or so x two you are ready to make a good stock. Simmer/boil on low for a day or so, more like two, adding water when necessary in a 7.5qt pot. Move it around as much as you want with a big spoon. Take your time, when you think you're done, most things in this pot are unidentifiable, you've cooked it down.

Strain this a couple of times thru a wire screen strainer regular width, allow to get chilled overnight, then remove top layer of fat which has congealed. You are ready to proceed. If it is bitter at all maybe from chicken bones add some sugar to taste, not much.

At this point based on the flavor of your stock decide what kind of soup you want to make. Select a meat, select your veggies, lentils or beans, rice or barley, potatoes, etc. Flavor your meat by sauteing it first. Add your beans and harder vegetables first, then later your quartered mushrooms, noodles etc.

Know your timing. Actually making the soup, the cooking of it, really on depends your slowest cooking ingredient but there are no exacts. The longer it cooks without making mush out of your veggies the better. Better flavors, better broth. If using beef to cook take your time til it's tender. Add any spices you think you might need. Don't F it up, it won't need much at all.

The stock is so vitamin and nutrient rich it is a blessing. Very healthy, liquid gold. Very flavorful. Good stock is a culinary delight.

There are only 3 ways to create flavor in soup. The stock, the ingredients you add, spices. Stock is the backbone, hard to get a really great soup without it.

You have to have a natural feel for how much of each ingredient you add, I don't use recipes. When finishing broth/water level should be about one inch from top. Plenty of soup to go around, freeze some for other days.

Delicious! Make it a little different each time. For vegetable soup use no bones or meat. Same principles.
This may not have been posted for Likes but it deserves one from anybody who's here with cooking in mind.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
"Jew chickens made the best soup".

First of all, great recovery from your unfortunate soup entry in the pizza thread. I hope this thread turns into a winner.

As to your mother's quote, it cannot be overstated how much difference it makes that such chickens do not cross the road from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Know your timing. Actually making the soup, the cooking of it, really on depends your slowest cooking ingredient but there are no exacts. The longer it cooks without making mush out of your veggies the better. Better flavors, better broth. If using beef to cook take your time til it's tender. Add any spices you think you might need. Don't F it up, it won't need much at all.

I would be happy to try this man's soup.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
-Mom used to make a killer curry corn chowder.
-French Onion Soup at Willibrew used to be bomb
-That red curry chicken at thai restaurants is always good.
-And a good Matzoh Ball Soup
-Does a good Lobster Bisque count?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom