OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread

Reaction Score
Do you feel gross because of the Wonder bread or because your grandma used to squeeze your weiner?
I agree, except when you're talking about really good bread. There is an upper echelon of bread that's fantastic.

Growing up we lived across the street to an Italian bread bakery. The smell of baking bread in the morning was so enticing I would buy a loaf of hot bread
and smother it with butter! Yum.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In b4 Augie starts talking about casu marzu!

I am also a cheese fan. Brought a huge block of parmigiano-reggiano home from Bologna a few years ago. That stuff blows away any "parm" made in USA. Have a tough time with the stinky cheeses though. I do like epoisee, but even that's a bit tough to get past the olfactory and into my mouth. My jams this past decade have been soft goat cheeses with ash, like Humboldt Fog and hard nutty cheeses like Beemster Vlaskaas.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I never met a cheese I didn't like. It is one of my greatest pleasures in life. I will chime in with some stories later, but some of the less common cheeses that are among my favorites are Taleggio and Pecorino al Tartufo. I also love Aged Gouda, in large part because you can feel the crunch of the calcium lactate crystals.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I 'm a fan of all kinds of soups - french onion, mushroom, lobster bisque, clam chowder, vegetable, , chicken, miso, etc.

After Seinfeld's episode with of the soup nazi, I was fortunate enough to try the original soup/stand in midtown Manhattan (W 55th or so) - very good. This was in the early 2000s. Then it turned into the Soupman company with multiple locations ... and bankrupt since 2017 or so.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Growing up we lived across the street to an Italian bread bakery. The smell of baking bread in the morning was so enticing I would buy a loaf of hot bread
and smother it with butter! Yum.

I used to work near the Arnold bread factory in Greenwich. Smelled like beer wort. And not in a good way. I couldn't see living near that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Worst is rye. Not even close.
Second worst is pumpernickel swirl.

Favorites? Ciabatta, real sourdough, pumpernickel, Italian.

Reaction Score
This is going to sound contradictory but, I don't mind the smelly ones if I can get past the smell. A good one I used to have when living abroad was Livarot from the north of France. Very stinky but delicious. I'm not sure I've seen it in the States but I'm sure there's a fancy place in NYC or Chicago that would have it. Really tough to beat a well-aged parmigiano with very old balsamic vinegar drizzled over it.

Reaction Score
LOL sweet Troll.

That is actually the best bread. And better than the LOL sourdough mr Handsome is trying to pimp in the OP.

Seedless rye? Delicious. Marble Rye? Delicious.

Throw those stupid caraway seeds in there and it does a complete 180. Save those seeds for the bird feeder.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Favorite Bread :
1. Sourdough loaf at Balthazaar Bakery (Spring St NYC)
2. Sourdough Miche loaf at Wegmans Supermarket,
3. Sourdough loaf from Whole Foods
4. Cheesecake Factory (black bread)

Favorite Challah:
Breads Bakery (Union Square NYC)

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
33549.jpg

Wegmans Pain de Campagne Round Bread, put through their slicer. Best. Toast. Ever.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Good soups in boston. Tell me where.

Anywhere thats asian central like China Town, even some of the neighboring towns like Malden(huge Asian population) the down town area you can't miss them.

Pho from the Vietnamese stall at Super 88. Mind-blowing.

Reaction Score
The mother of my French ex told me France has a different cheese for every day of the year, in fact I think it is more actually. So likely at least 400 cheeses. She used to bring in plates full of different cheeses for after dinner snack. Most were amazing but I will always love goat cheese the most.

Reaction Score
I have been making about 2 loaves of Jim Lahey's no knead bread per week. Crazy easy, takes 2 active minutes and delicious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom