OT Syracuse Hillsman resigns | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT Syracuse Hillsman resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Man .. that is one tough job/place. Averaging 100 fans playing in a 30,000+ seat dome, combined with gray skies and snow for half of the year, combined with a non-fertile recruiting base. I wish whoever takes that job luck.
I lived in the Syracuse area for 5 years or so. I can attest that the summers are absolutely beautiful…….all four weeks…….

The rest of the year was cold as hell.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Mmmm, do you though?

Well as long as they are below Duke in the standings... I wish them well. Other than that 2016 fiasco at the Carrier Dome (revenge was served the following year) I bear no ill will towards them.

Reaction Score
Im not sure fans of a team from Storrs should make too many comments about Syracuse weather.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Man .. that is one tough job/place. Averaging 100 fans playing in a 30,000+ seat dome, combined with gray skies and snow for half of the year, combined with a non-fertile recruiting base. I wish whoever takes that job luck.
The night that UConn played Stewie's homecoming game at Colgate, which was sold out, had an overflowing crowd of 1,782, 32 above the max capacity of 1,750. Syracuse had a home game the same night and had a little over 300 fans. They could have had at least 20,000 people there if it had been UConn.

Reaction Score
Nothing against UHart, this was a joke since they just moved from D1 to D3. ( suits pending though ) I don't think they would hire him anyway, just an observation that any D1 school would not have him. One of the reasons Morgan Valley was able to leave for UConn without reservations.
Appreciate a thoughtful response to my sarcastic question. ;^)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Creepy. I can't specifically define it.
Kind of. But I think weird is better.

The over-the-top clothes, the shoes, the eye-glasses. The mannerisms.

Then there was a feature on him a few years back. Don't exactly remember, but I sort of remember personalized notebooks for each player about how to be a better person (possibly as regards playing), with a heavy dose of Christianity in the mix somewhere. It was all odd and my only reaction was "well, if I was younger and female I don't think I would want to play for him". Sorry, my memory isn't better.

All that said, nothing of the sort that he got in trouble for. And, quite frankly, you can be weird and successful. But he was, as we always said, a unique bird.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gail Goestenkors is currently biding her time at Kentucky as an assistant coach. She’s waiting to climb back in the saddle as a head coach for major D1 program. She has plenty of HC experience and name recognition. I’m sure it wouldn’t take a lot of arm twisting to lure her to Syracuse. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Since when is any program required to schedule any team just because they have players are from that area? Not quite understanding that beef.
There is no requirement of course.

As a UConn fan wishing the best for Stewie, however, it seemed petty that Q denied her the opportunity to go “home.”

But you must already understand that so why pose the question?

Reaction Score
It's the BY rule: all other schools must do everything that UConn wants or they're awful.
You’re living up to your motto.

But as much as I like consistency and don’t believe it is the hobgoblin of little minds, this is the BY as you say.

Reaction Score
And more fall out from Hillsman's resignation. Two more into the transfer portal even before hitting campus.

Reading the article, I get the sense Shayeann Day-Wilson and Latasha Lattimore are transferring due in part Q is no longer the head coach rather than has to why he stepped down. (but I may be totally wrong)

Both players gave a verbal pledge to join the Orange on May 17, 2020. They signed their national letter of intents to join the program on Nov. 11.

As two of the most highly-recruited players in North America — both with more than 100 scholarship offers each — Lattimore and Day-Wilson said in an interview with Syracuse.com last year they were sold on Syracuse because of Hillsman’s transparency when it came to their basketball potential

Reaction Score
Reading the article, I get the sense Shayeann Day-Wilson and Latasha Lattimore are transferring due in part Q is no longer the head coach rather than has to why he stepped down. (but I may be totally wrong)

Both players gave a verbal pledge to join the Orange on May 17, 2020. They signed their national letter of intents to join the program on Nov. 11.

As two of the most highly-recruited players in North America — both with more than 100 scholarship offers each — Lattimore and Day-Wilson said in an interview with Syracuse.com last year they were sold on Syracuse because of Hillsman’s transparency when it came to their basketball potential
Oh that's reason 100%. No doubt about it. Hillsman's personality is very similar to some of the people they have relied on throughout their recruiting process.

Question is whether they'll be able to pair up somewhere else as a tandem at this point with schools close to starting up in the fall. They've always came across as a package deal in how things were posted and certain comments that were made.

Reaction Score
Gail Goestenkors is currently biding her time at Kentucky as an assistant coach. She’s waiting to climb back in the saddle as a head coach for major D1 program. She has plenty of HC experience and name recognition. I’m sure it wouldn’t take a lot of arm twisting to lure her to Syracuse. Thoughts?
She checks off a lot of boxes and I would be calling her because SU's program is quite unstable right now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She checks off a lot of boxes and I would be calling her because SU's program is quite unstable right now.
They need somebody........and NOW!!! They could do a lot worse. She built programs at Duke and Texas. To start from square one and build that program from the ground up would be nothing new to her.

Reaction Score
I have had no use for him ever since he petulantly refused to schedule a homecoming game for Stewie.... good riddance!
That is my instant thought.... just inexplicable why even a hard nosed coach would deny anyone this honor.... it is not as though he had a realistic chance of signing Breanna....

From the reports I read.... (and I am sure there is more to it) it sounds as though he snapped.... and just threew caution to the wind..... did not care any longer.... who knows.

Reaction Score
The night that UConn played Stewie's homecoming game at Colgate, which was sold out, had an overflowing crowd of 1,782, 32 above the max capacity of 1,750. Syracuse had a home game the same night and had a little over 300 fans. They could have had at least 20,000 people there if it had been UConn.
Syracuse frequently overestimates its own panache.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Oh that's reason 100%. No doubt about it. Hillsman's personality is very similar to some of the people they have relied on throughout their recruiting process.

Question is whether they'll be able to pair up somewhere else as a tandem at this point with schools close to starting up in the fall. They've always came across as a package deal in how things were posted and certain comments that were made.

I feel like there is a very intriguing story to go along with this statement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom