OT Syracuse Hillsman resigns | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Syracuse Hillsman resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Hillsman had a style all his own, either you liked it or you didn't. But I think he will be a better coach at his next stop. Assuming there is a next stop. At least he should now know what he should not do whether guilty or not.

Syracuse is a good job for someone. Big , ACC , high profile , and in need of a HC .
I believe the University of Hartford still needs a head coach.

Reaction Score
The removal of a bad coach never happens soon enough. The writing was on the wall, but Hillsman had a contract through 2024 with a base of $602,655. He knew he could hold out until he got all or a part of it. Syracuse hired a law firm and had their house in order. This should have happened in March, they just wanted to prevent blow back. The story in The Athletic was the point of no return.

On the plus side this could be a great spot for an up and coming young coach

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This is no surprise. The peacock got his plume plucked!!! Should have happened sooner.

Lost all respect for Hillsman when he tried mugging UConn in the Dome during Maya's years. Geno unleashed The Kraken, Maya, and that was it!!!

Very difficult spot for the AD now. Will be interesting to see who the interm coach is.

Reaction Score
This is no surprise. The peacock got his plume plucked!!! Should have happened sooner.

Lost all respect for Hillsman when he tried mugging UConn in the Dome during Maya's years. Geno unleashed The Kraken, Maya, and that was it!!!

Very difficult spot for the AD now. Will be interesting to see who the interm coach is.
Try saying that 4 times fast.

Reaction Score
Whether he did or did not do what was alleged, resignation was the only option. Which doesn't bother me if he did it, but does bother me if he didn't. NO ONE here knows. And one of the primary reasons why there's only one option these days is because so many speak as if they do know.

Reaction Score
That to me seems like the most logical choice. She’s done a fairly decent job at Buffalo. I think it would actually be an upgrade.
Caveat is that she was coached at Indiana and failed. But she tries to make the case that she has learned a bunch since then.

Reaction Score
Not likely, but theoretically, a new coach could give the players in the portal a reason to stay at Syc.
11 of the 12 players have already signed with new schools
the only 1 who hasn't is a grad-transfer walk-on

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I‘m not sad to see him leave the program. No doubt the AD and staff have been vigorously working behind the scenes trying to find a viable solution to his sudden departure.

Nicki Collin left the Atlanta Dream just days before their season was to begin to take the head coach position at Baylor. I think there is another Nicki Collin out there who would love to accept that job offer, and is waiting for her phone to ring.

Carnac predicts they will find HER, and Hillsman’s replacement will be hired and announced by Sunday of this week. ;) How’s that for stepping out on a limb?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is from The Juice, a Syracuse online newspaper, or blog, or something.

“The likelihood is that Syracuse will have to look outside the state of New York in its coaching search. That could lead them to Storrs, CT. UConn consistently develops and produces great players and coaches. Chris Dailey is never leaving, but Jamelle Elliott could be tempted to again. She was an assistant at UConn from 1998-2009, but left to become the head coach at Cincinnati. She didn’t have the best of times with the Bearcats, but she is learning from the best women’s coach ever again, so maybe there will be some improvement.”

Note: What is with the negative thumbs downs? I didn’t write it, I only shared what someone else wrote.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not likely, but theoretically, a new coach could give the players in the portal a reason to stay at Syc.
maybe but yikes!!

ACC defensive player and rookie of the year Kamilla Cardoso will transfer from Syracuse, becoming the 12th player to seek a transfer from the program this offseason.

Emily Engstler, Kiara Lewis, Digna Strautmane, Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi, Amaya Finklea-Guity, Taleah Washington, Lauren Fitzmaurice, Kiara Fisher, Faith Blackstone, Khamya McNeal and Maud Huijbens all decided to enter the transfer portal after Syracuse lost to UConn in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
This is from The Juice, a Syracuse online newspaper, or blog, or something.

“The likelihood is that Syracuse will have to look outside the state of New York in its coaching search. That could lead them to Storrs, CT. UConn consistently develops and produces great players and coaches. Chris Dailey is never leaving, but Jamelle Elliott could be tempted to again. She was an assistant at UConn from 1998-2009, but left to become the head coach at Cincinnati. She didn’t have the best of times with the Bearcats, but she is learning from the best women’s coach ever again, so maybe there will be some improvement.”
lol. No.
I hope whoever wrote that doesnt depend on his/her writing for their livelihood.

Reaction Score
what was alleged?
What does it matter? My point is who here knows what happened? He was toast even if he didn't do anything. I mean who would have their daughters around him now? He had to go...regardless. If the investigation determines he did do something criminally inappropriate, then hold him accountable.

And the 11 girls in the portal...my guess (like anyone else's)...is that all of them didn't leave for the same reasons. We know at least 4 were in hot water for an unrelated incident. So...we're down to 7. How many of those were leaving anyway...OR because of an anticipated domino effect?

Personally, I would have let him go a year or two before this even surfaced...because he didn't seem to be able to manage a team with a lot of talent. Way before this surfaced....I kept saying something is wrong with his team. They were talented, but IMO...underperformed in games they should have won. I concluded...he was trying to play too many different lineups. He tried making everyone happy...and it had the opposite effect.

First inkling I had was with Desire Elmore...a 5 star recruit who never took footing. Never heard a clear reason what was going on with her...and then, she was gone. I think 5 stars are bad luck for Q.

Reaction Score
Not surprising. This move is best for the all parties involved, well best interest of the university.

Reaction Score
not to sure about Coach Kati she's a hard nose coach. I remember how her teams played Uconn always fouling trying to hurt people Geno almost went off on her once during a game that was clearly over with Uconn winning and she had her players still committing hard fouls he had to be held back by his staff even CD was not having it
She might be hard-nosed, but she left Albany for Orlando, and she’s not heading back to the lake effect snow area.

Reaction Score
When your whole team leaves and you don't see a problem, that's a problem. You don't need a professional investigation to figure that out. He always seemed like a weird guy.
Weird? How so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69