OT Syracuse Hillsman resigns | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Syracuse Hillsman resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is from The Juice, a Syracuse online newspaper, or blog, or something.

“The likelihood is that Syracuse will have to look outside the state of New York in its coaching search. That could lead them to Storrs, CT. UConn consistently develops and produces great players and coaches. Chris Dailey is never leaving, but Jamelle Elliott could be tempted to again. She was an assistant at UConn from 1998-2009, but left to become the head coach at Cincinnati. She didn’t have the best of times with the Bearcats, but she is learning from the best women’s coach ever again, so maybe there will be some improvement.”

Note: What is with the negative thumbs downs? I didn’t write it, I only shared what someone else wrote.
The idea of Jemelle leaving for Syracuse is not well received, regardless of whose idea it is. Geno is counting on her commitment and support this coming season. All plans that Geno and CD have made for the program include Jamelle. If she wanted to leave UConn for another head coaching opportunity, she would have done so earlier this spring or summer. She didn’t. So why would anyone suggest (without talking to her first) that she could be tempted?

If you remember, Jemelle had left coaching all together, and returned to UConn as director of a program assisting alumni. When Jasmine Lister abruptly left the coaching staff, that left a big hole that needed to be filled. Geno asked Jemelle to fill in the rest of the season.

Unless Jemelle has suggested that she wants another opportunity to lead another wcbb program (which I would vigorously support), I question the veracity of that observation, regardless of who made it. Of all the people you or the person you quoted, could have mentioned, why mention her?

When I read that, it struck a nerve. If she were to leave now, it would disrupt the ebb and flow of the coaching staff and the program. She’s working with, and has developed a relationship with the players she’s coaching. No UConn fan wants to see distraction like that in the program, not now. UConn is trying to win the championship this year. Jemelle is part of that plan.

That’s why the thumbs down. Bad idea, bad timing. Storrs is not the only locale where good coaches are developed. Let them look elsewhere. Nothing to see here.

Note: YOU post it, YOU get the likes or the thumbs down. That's Boneyard etiquette.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What does it matter? My point is who here knows what happened? He was toast even if he didn't do anything. I mean who would have their daughters around him now? He had to go...regardless. If the investigation determines he did do something criminally inappropriate, then hold him accountable.

And the 11 girls in the portal...my guess (like anyone else's)...is that all of them didn't leave for the same reasons. We know at least 4 were in hot water for an unrelated incident. So...we're down to 7. How many of those were leaving anyway...OR because of an anticipated domino effect?

Personally, I would have let him go a year or two before this even surfaced...because he didn't seem to be able to manage a team with a lot of talent. Way before this surfaced....I kept saying something is wrong with his team. They were talented, but IMO...underperformed in games they should have won. I concluded...he was trying to play too many different lineups. He tried making everyone happy...and it had the opposite effect.

First inkling I had was with Desire Elmore...a 5 star recruit who never took footing. Never heard a clear reason what was going on with her...and then, she was gone. I think 5 stars are bad luck for Q.
I've not heard he did anything "criminally inappropriate", or if that is even part of the discussion. If so, then may he reap what he has sown.

That said, it doesn't need to rise to that level to be abusive, especially as a college coach. Yes, they are tasked with winning, but they are primarily tasked with developing character and a winning attitude with the young people under their tutelage to prepare them for life's challenges. If that isn't their primary task, then it's on the university to answer for it. Either way, he had to go, and anyone looking to rehire him needs to think long and hard about the worthiness of the effort.

Reaction Score
Since when is any program required to schedule any team just because they have players are from that area? Not quite understanding that beef.
Absolutely no requirement what so ever. Just a gentlemanly gesture among schools and coaches. Geno has for years made sure players nation wide got a game close to home and most schools love the opportunity to have a draw like UCONN in the house.
Hillsman saw it differently, just another in his basket of mistakes. ;)

Reaction Score
Can see one of the Patriot League coaches stepping into the Syc. role. They know the NE high schools and might be able to pull a few of the better players with them. Going to take a few years to get Syc. back on track and most of the better coaching names out there are unlikely to want to start this low.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
What do you have against UHa?
Nothing against UHart, this was a joke since they just moved from D1 to D3. ( suits pending though ) I don't think they would hire him anyway, just an observation that any D1 school would not have him. One of the reasons Morgan Valley was able to leave for UConn without reservations.

Reaction Score
just an observation that any D1 school would not have him.
Let's see,
  • turned a school with decades of mediocrity to a regular ranked power
  • went to NC game (one of only 14 schools in last 15 yrs)
Yeah I can see why no one would want to hire that.

Obviously if something untoward happened recently then that's very relevant, but no one is saying anything.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What do you have against UHa?
The downgrade to Div. 3 is still in the works isn't it? I know the athletes are fighting it. At best its an uncertain mess with little appeal to coaches looking to move.

Reaction Score
Obviously if something untoward happened recently then that's very relevant, but no one is saying anything.
According to The Athletic: "Nine former Syracuse players and 19 others, including team managers and staff members, leveled a variety of allegations against Hillsman, which included: regularly threatening players verbally, sometimes using vulgar language; making players uncomfortable by kissing their foreheads; hiring a staff member previously accused of sexual harassment who made players and managers uncomfortable; and refusing players' requests for water after running punishing sprints.

One player also said she felt violated when Hillsman wrapped his arms around her from behind and put his hands near her pelvic region, before brushing it off as a joke. Two others witnessed the incident."

People are speaking out. And note-- this isn't the first time Hillsman has been accused of kissing players.

Reaction Score
According to The Athletic: "Nine former Syracuse players and 19 others, including team managers and staff members, leveled a variety of allegations against Hillsman, which included: regularly threatening players verbally, sometimes using vulgar language; making players uncomfortable by kissing their foreheads; hiring a staff member previously accused of sexual harassment who made players and managers uncomfortable; and refusing players' requests for water after running punishing sprints.

One player also said she felt violated when Hillsman wrapped his arms around her from behind and put his hands near her pelvic region, before brushing it off as a joke. Two others witnessed the incident."

People are speaking out. And note-- this isn't the first time Hillsman has been accused of kissing players.
Their follow up article this morning laid out more claims that this has been brought up in the past. From what I recall reading from the Atheltic today, complaints were filed as far back as 2010. Impression I get is that it seems administration may have been aware contrary to what they've said in press releases.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts on the situation with Q. When all the poop hit fan with transfers and charges of improper behavior at the end of the season, many assumed correctly that Q’s days were numbered at Syracuse. The University did the right thing by establishing an independent investigation, which likely verified many of the charges against Q.

From that point on it became a PR matter. I suspect the Cuse didn’t want to fire Q with a potential ugly lawsuit to follow, with the possibility that other University officials were aware of the complaints about Q through the years and did nothing.

I believe Q’s resignation was the culmination of a lengthy negotiation between the former HC and the school. I suspect he was paid well to go away, with no acknowledgement of fault by either party.

I am doubtful about the possibility that Q can resurrect his coaching career at another school. While he certainly had some success at Syracuse, he hasn’t built a perennial powerhouse that would motivate other AD’s to want to hire a quirky male coach for a women’s sports team, that brings along some significant negative baggage.

Reaction Score
Hillsman had a style all his own, either you liked it or you didn't. But I think he will be a better coach at his next stop. Assuming there is a next stop. At least he should now know what he should not do whether guilty or not.

Syracuse is a good job for someone. Big , ACC , high profile , and in need of a HC .
selling recruits on the benefits of playing in Lapland cannot be easy.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
maybe but yikes!!

ACC defensive player and rookie of the year Kamilla Cardoso will transfer from Syracuse, becoming the 12th player to seek a transfer from the program this offseason.

Emily Engstler, Kiara Lewis, Digna Strautmane, Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi, Amaya Finklea-Guity, Taleah Washington, Lauren Fitzmaurice, Kiara Fisher, Faith Blackstone, Khamya McNeal and Maud Huijbens all decided to enter the transfer portal after Syracuse lost to UConn in the second round of the NCAA tournament.
Which is why the administration must find a replacement for Hillsman ASAP to try and keep some of the players that are still uncommitted in the portal. What about the new incoming players that were recruited and have committed to replace the players that left? May we assume that the university (the incoming coach) will honor all commitments made by Hillsman to those players? :eek:

It’s not too late to find and hire a replacement for Hillsman. Syracuse is still a very attractive job that a lot of current assistant and head coaches would be very interested in. It’s not too late to “poach” a head coach from their team if they are willing to leave.

It’s too late to find and secure players that could help this program this year. Those players are already committed (and LOI’s signed) to other programs. School begins for most colleges and universities at the end of this month.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Thanks for posting that. I was going to look around on the net for the articles/comments and you saved me from needing to research. Should put to rest all the questions about "what allegations?".

And what you posted is only what has been publicized. Regardless of whether there are more or not, just ONE of the allegations would be pretty egregious.

Even worse (if possible) than the mass exodus and allegations from the 9 former team members, is the "19 others including team managers and staff members". Good grief - that's 28 different people leveling allegations and accusations. That has to be close to every single person involved with Syracuse Women's Basketball...

The whole host of them not only justifies his ouster (even if it was "his" decision), but I would think will end his career, at least as far as working with women. He's toxic at this point - can't imagine any college program taking a chance on him at this point. I know he's still young, but can he ever recover from this??

Reaction Score

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pace and Elliott seem like terrible ideas.
Josh Pace's resume consists of an assistant coaching stint at Pepperdine and leading D2 Western New Mexico (go Silver City!) to a 1-3 record last season.

But but but ... he played on Syracuse's one and only MBB championship team, so hey, please give him the job! Would definitely fit in with the recent sagging trend of the ACC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hot off the press, SI article with five potential candidates for Syracuse head coach job.

Felisha Legette-Jack
Tammi Reiss
Josh Pace
Jamelle Elliott
Amaka Agugua-Hamilton

Man .. that is one tough job/place. Averaging 100 fans playing in a 30,000+ seat dome, combined with gray skies and snow for half of the year, combined with a non-fertile recruiting base. I wish whoever takes that job luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom