OT: Revis to the Jets | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Revis to the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Supposedly it had to do with him not fitting their defensive scheme as well without a shutdown corner like Revis. But who knows - that could be some Patriots spin.

He was also a liability from a penalty perspective. Browner was only useful due to his size allowing him to match up with the big WR. I wouldn't have brought him back because there are better corners out there that they can bring in. The secondary won't be as good without Revis, but Browner is no loss.

Reaction Score
He was also a liability from a penalty perspective. Browner was only useful due to his size allowing him to match up with the big WR. I wouldn't have brought him back because there are better corners out there that they can bring in. The secondary won't be as good without Revis, but Browner is no loss.

Fung Wah at its finest huh Deep?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fung Wah at its finest huh Deep?

You think it was money? His contract option was cheap, I don't think they wanted him back at any price. He's a pass interference machine, and Belichick hates those penalties. They will sign somebody else that Bill thinks fits his scheme better.

Reaction Score
You think it was money? His contract option was cheap, I don't think they wanted him back at any price. He's a pass interference machine, and Belichick hates those penalties. They will sign somebody else that Bill thinks fits his scheme better.

I was kidding Hawk, all good. I know he's a pretty good player but as a Giants fan I didn't watch the Pats close enough to know otherwise. ;)

Reaction Score

Honnnnnnnk! Honnnnnnnk!! Fung Wah comin'!!!

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
And on top of that, they let Browner walk too. You'd think they wouldn't want to lose both in the same week. Didn't they pass on Browner because of something small like a 2m bonus or something?
What Mike says:
Perhaps the Patriots viewed Browner (team-high 15 penalties) as a package with Revis, because having both of them would have allowed the team to continue to play press-man, which is Browner's specialty. Without Revis, the Patriots' defensive plans are in flux, and thus that could have affected the value the club placed on Browner based on his scheme-specific skills.
Unlike some on this board, I am neither a GM nor executive for a professional team, and so therefore refrain from second guessing why a team signs or fails to sign a player. I assume they know things I do not know, have insight that I lack, and generally know how to do their jobs.
I will admit that I expressed my distaste for signing one ARod way back when, and my further distaste for resigning him. But like Seinfeld said, we cheer for the laundry.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
See Pats fan like a Sox fan. Couldn't leave it as his choice had to throw the "3rd place" bomb in.

Pats yes. Sox no.

3rd place "bomb" is the truth. Do you really think the Jets are going to finish ahead of New England/Miami/Buffalo???

Reaction Score
Would have been 26 mil against cap....Pats didn't have room.
I agree 100% with those that have said we (fans) are not the GM's and don't get why its such a huge part of following the NFL to opine, care and approve/disapprove of roster matters = at end of day rooting for laundry and fans act like they are going to be 49-102% cheering based on how the team's personnel decisions align with their viewpoints.

So disqualifier said, with __# (40, 60 I have no idea?) players involved do we really know for a fact that Revis' 26M cap hit would have put the team over the cap either in its current or future state? Or would it simply have hampered their ability to sign anyone else or necessitated roster cuts? I'd think with so many players and non-guaranteed contracts the math is incredibly complex.

Even in the NBA with 12-15 roster spots its tough to define within 1-3 stars what makes team building difficult. I also dodn't know what happens if you go over the cap? Shouldn't a XX% chance at the Super Bowl create a situation where overspending at one of the key 22-30 starters worthwhile?

Again I follow NBA (soft cap) somewhat more closely. Thunder claimed they traded James Harden because otherwise they'd go over the luxury tax cap to have Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden. But they traded Harden one year before his new salary kicked in AND before they knew/realized what that next year's luxury cap number would be. And they were 2-3 years away from a major uptick in salary caps. So motivation of OVER THE CAP penalty was really a smokescreen for them wanting to keep costs in line i.e. they could have met Harden's demands and amnestied Kendrick Perkins and had more costs but never exceeded the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom