OT: Red Sox Swept | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Red Sox Swept

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is comical. Is that really the myth you're consoling yourself with, after that pathetic display from your team and that pitiful exit by your favorite player? I can send you some prozac if that doesn't work.

And, since you brought up the subject: Has there ever, in the history of sports, been a fanbase more singularly obsessed with an opposing player as Red Sox fans have been with Alex Rodriguez for the past ten years? Can you say "Pot, meet Kettle"? Of course, now that they've both retired at the same time, you'll all have to spend the next five years twisting your tongues in knots trying to explain why Arod should not be in the Hall of Fame but Big Popup should. That, my friend, is what should be "really funny".

Your first paragraph 100% completely proves my point. 12 years later, you Yankees fans are still infuriated that the Red Sox completely neutered your team on the big stage. Generations of Yankees fans could always count on their team being able to snuff the lowly Red Sox out when it counted. It was almost a certainty in their minds But no, what the Red Sox did made the Yankees turn into the Cincinnati Reds for four games when the entire nation was watching. The team made Mariano Rivera, the single best closer in the history of the game, look like Jorge Julio. Most of you had never seen the Yankees this humiliated in your lifetimes. All you had to do was win one game. One game! But the Sox did it, and as a result, both the fanbase and the franchise are still feeling it after all these years. Because since 2004, the Yankees just haven't been the same Yankees -- sure, a WS in 2009, but all of those embarrassing exits in the playoffs? Getting swept by Detroit in the ALCS? Losing a one-game playoff against Houston? The Yankees are no longer anyone's big brother; they are not guaranteed to advance in the playoffs every time they're in anymore, and it's the Red Sox who showed the world that.

Reaction Score
I think there's a good shot Severino figures it out, but hopefully they learned their lesson in counting on a rookie pitcher out of spring training to be a major league starter .

They're not signing Encarnacion. And you can virtually guarantee he'll have multiple suitors so that there's no way his deal only runs through his age 37 season. At least 38, maybe 39. That's what you have to do to get a guy like him. You have to pay for the decline years to get the good ones up front. No thanks. Besides, the Yankees allegedly have a plan to get under the luxury tax threshold so they have money for 2018. Next year's team will be average, at best. No point in blowing money on a guy that won't be the difference between making the playoffs or staying home AND blowing part of the plan to get under the luxury tax for an aging bat that will be hitting his decline years just when the team is getting good.

When 2018 rolls around and you still need a DH, THEN you go sign one. Not before. Besides which, unless you trade McCann, with Sanchez at Catcher, he's your DH anyhow.

Completely agree. 2017 should be an evaluation year for the Yankees. See which kids they should keep and identify what holes they need to fill. That was the format used that got the Yankees to the World Series between 1996 and 2000 as they developed guys like Jeter, Psoda, and Sandman and plugged in holes with O'Niel, Cone, and Martinez. Starting pitching I think will be one of them. There was talk that one big target for the Yanks in 2018 would be Jose Fernandez, damn :(

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
McCann is an above average major league hitter. Fact. He put up a wRC+ of 103 last year, was worth 1.3 WAR, and is owed $17M next year. They're not going to sit a guy like that. If he isn't traded, he's the DH. There's really nothing more to say about that. A-rod, for instance, was WELL below league average and they still waited until late August to move on from him. Encarnacion was worth 3.9 WAR. The difference between he and McCann wouldn't have been enough to get them to the playoffs in 2016. There's no reason to believe he'll be a difference maker in 2017.

The luxury tax thing isn't about being able to "afford" it. The penalties accelerate the longer they're over the limit. They want to reset that so they aren't penalized as much. Beyond which, with the CBA expiring, the limit is expected to go up. So they reset and have the ability to flex their financial muscle more than they are now, coincident with the exceptional free agent class in 2018. They can sign Chapman this year and still get under the current limit after 2017, but until they know what the new limit will be, signing a guy like Encarnacion would push them back over the limit. For 2015 alone, that was $26 million they paid to the league that they otherwise could be spending on the roster, scouting, or the minor league affiliates. Any use of that money that isn't writing a check to MLB is a positive one.

McCann is a 33 year old catcher who is barely a league average hitter who only earned 1.3 WAR (which severely over inflates defense and positional scarcity) due to the time he spent behind the plate. Putting McCann at DH nullifies any positive value he would have to the team. I agree, they won't bench him but I think they should look to move him for cash considerations and a couple mid level prospects.

By WAR measures Big Papi was worth "only" 4.4 wins and Encarnacion was only slight behind at 3.9.

The real stats to look at are wOBA and wRC+ where Edwin was .373 and 134 and McCann was .326 and 103. Huge difference.

WAR isn't the end all be all and you just can't count up the games we finished out and get the delta from player in and player out.

The fact remains that the Luxury tax will undoubtedly go up, Miller/Tex are off the books, next year CC/Arod are off the books and the only albatross contract left will be Ellsbury. That's a ton of money off the books and even with some players like Dellin and Didi arbitration eligible they still stand to have a significant decrease in payroll that should be invested back in the big league club.

Reaction Score
Your first paragraph 100% completely proves my point. 12 years later, you Yankees fans are still infuriated that the Red Sox completely neutered your team on the big stage. Generations of Yankees fans could always count on their team being able to snuff the lowly Red Sox out when it counted. It was almost a certainty in their minds But no, what the Red Sox did made the Yankees turn into the Cincinnati Reds for four games when the entire nation was watching. The team made Mariano Rivera, the single best closer in the history of the game, look like Jorge Julio. Most of you had never seen the Yankees this humiliated in your lifetimes. All you had to do was win one game. One game! But the Sox did it, and as a result, both the fanbase and the franchise are still feeling it after all these years. Because since 2004, the Yankees just haven't been the same Yankees -- sure, a WS in 2009, but all of those embarrassing exits in the playoffs? Getting swept by Detroit in the ALCS? Losing a one-game playoff against Houston? The Yankees are no longer anyone's big brother; they are not guaranteed to advance in the playoffs every time they're in anymore, and it's the Red Sox who showed the world that.

Wow Stair, you're a lost soul to believe that. Guess you're one of those "baseball started in 2004 guys huh"?? Problem with you and Red Sox fans who just became anything close to significant (how does last place feel every couple of years huh?LOL) in 2004, you would prefer to forget how dominant the Yanks were for such a long time. I believe you need to do some reading, but you aren't alone the Nation knows little about baseball prior to 20034 that's been obvious. And the one's that do have takenbt he 5th - hilarious group of fans now, simply pure comedy! Enjoy your little millennium vacuum.

Maybe there are young Yankee fans who feel that but most could give a rats a** I promise. I mean playoffs is what a fan wants, 162 games and competing is what a fan wants. Since the 1995 tell me how many times the Sox made the playoffs, were a player for the regular season and how many times they finished last?

You wish you were us

Reaction Score
It's not just Yankee fans guys, but you have your own little world. Just like saying other players gravitate to him - funny, the DR players do for sure the others just put up with him. Again, you will think what you want because he's yours, but no one else gave a crap about his last game I promise but you and the media.

I am torn about Ortiz. He is a great competitor and teammate by all account and great in the clutch, a 2000's version of Reggie Jackson. That said, I am concerned that he 'may' have used PED and as a Yankees fan, I am not going to throw stones in a glass house; but, I wish all of these players just admit it, take the punishment and move one, i.e. be a McGuire and not a Bonds or A-Rod. My other grip on Ortiz is that from time to time, especially a few year back when his numbers were way down, it felt like he thought he was bigger than the game itself. Hate that. A-Rod did the same thing and I felt they same way about him.

As for Pedroia, I like him. He's like a spark plug that goes all out every game. I think his attitude Sunday night had more to do with frustration at the Red Sox overall position more than anything else. The local press especially expected a World Series title this year, especially the ego issue with the Sox's former GM driving the Cubs in that direction, and seemed to be blind to the fact that to win it, a team needs 2 top-notch, proven shut-down playoff pitchers (think Schilling, Clemens, Pettitte, Cone, etc.) and the Red Sox do not have that.

Reaction Score
Wow Stair, you're a lost soul to believe that. Guess you're one of those "baseball started in 2004 guys huh"?? Problem with you and Red Sox fans who just became anything close to significant (how does last place feel every couple of years huh?LOL) in 2004, you would prefer to forget how dominant the Yanks were for such a long time. I believe you need to do some reading, but you aren't alone the Nation knows little about baseball prior to 20034 that's been obvious. And the one's that do have takenbt he 5th - hilarious group of fans now, simply pure comedy! Enjoy your little millennium vacuum.

Maybe there are young Yankee fans who feel that but most could give a rats a** I promise. I mean playoffs is what a fan wants, 162 games and competing is what a fan wants. Since the 1995 tell me how many times the Sox made the playoffs, were a player for the regular season and how many times they finished last?

You wish you were us
So. Much. Syracuse.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

You wish you were us

I know exactly how dominant the Yankees were. I was raised by two people who had been Yankees fans since the 1950s. I know all about the Yankees' tradition and legacy through the 20th century and up to 2004 - I also know that Papi and the Sox took a steaming dump on that legacy and ruined a 30+/50+/70+ year stretch of pure playoff dominance, which is why older fans like yourself hate Ortiz. What the Yankees went through in 2004 was completely unprecedented throughout their history. Every time they played the Red Sox in a postseason situation, they automatically dispatched with them, whether it was 1978 or 1999. You could've always counted on them being able to push the Sox down. But 2004 changed that and showed that going forward, the Yankees franchise would not be the same.

Reaction Score
I know exactly how dominant the Yankees were. I was raised by two people who had been Yankees fans since the 1950s. I know all about the Yankees' tradition and legacy through the 20th century and up to 2004 - I also know that Papi and the Sox took a steaming dump on that legacy and ruined a 30+/50+/70+ year stretch of pure playoff dominance, which is why older fans like yourself hate Ortiz. What the Yankees went through in 2004 was completely unprecedented throughout their history. Every time they played the Red Sox in a postseason situation, they automatically dispatched with them, whether it was 1978 or 1999. You could've always counted on them being able to push the Sox down. But 2004 changed that and showed that going forward, the Yankees franchise would not be the same.

You're too worked up on ONE year dude. Relax no one took a steaming dump on any legacy this is all in your mind. You guys still think about Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone? I mean geez Stair you're whacked if you think any one year ruined our lives. There was no legacy! Older fans hate Papi because he's not a baseball player not because he had a few big hits against the Yanks. Doesn't run out ground balls, doesn't play first base even when asked and quite honestly is a selfish guy. Hell was he the only red Sox player who had big hits, quick jerking the guy off. Petey, Youk, The Schill and others were part of your 2004 comeback as well as a couple breaks which went your way, it was in the books already good for you, happy for you. It's over, we have moved on need to rebuild again and will. Try not to make the playoffs then come in last, not a good pattern. Playoffs like 18 of 21 years is much more fun I promise - try it. The sweep hurts huh I can feel it in your frustration. Love it

Oh yeah we will never be the same? LOL at least we do have something to BE right?;)

Reaction Score

Ah, baseball, like other sports is cyclical. Yes, the Sox beat them in '04 and it was painful; but, it little do with the success and failure of the Yankees over time. The only result has been an increase in the ego of Red Sox fans and their belief that the universe revolves around them. The Yanks with Mattingly, Guidry, and Righetti couldn't really beat anyone in the 80's. They kept trying to buy wins with 40 year old free agents like Don Baylor. When the Sox lost to the Mets in '86, the Yanks finished 5 1/2 games behind the Sox and had nothing do with that. Eventually, the Yanks got wise and focused on development that led to a heck of a stretch between 1996 and 2003 where the Yanks went to 6 World Series in 8 years, winning it 4 times. They then lost their way (again) and tried buying the Series, which they got in '09; but, not much else. Now, they are focused back on development and things are looking up. The Sox have gone through and will go through the samething themselves again. That's sports.

Reaction Score
Yup, it was losing in 2004 that is the reason the Yankees have only won one World Series since. It has nothing to do with horrible contracts and a team that wasn't built for playoff success. Stairmaster this cute stuff from you.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lol @Stairmaster

I don't like Papi because he unequivocally tested positive for PEDs and the fact that Sox fans defend him to the death over that fact.

The substance wasn't banned at the time and the list was supposed to be anonymous but it came out and he was on it.

Do I really care that he was PED guy? No, not really given the era, but I just think it's comical that Sox fans completely disregard those facts.

Also, anyone who watched the Yankee Soxs games of the early to mid 2000s knew how close those teams were so it was not that shocking that after winning 3 straight they could lose 4. That's not meant to downplay it, it was terrible, but somehow Sox fans think 1 year or even 3 years erases modern history and counts more than 96, 98, 99, 00 and 09.

Reaction Score
Highest fielding percentage of all-time at 2B with the DRS and UZR to match. Pedroia will be a HOF if he stays healthy.

Over his last 4 years, WAR puts his worth at:
2013: $38.3M
2014: $31.3M
2015: $20.2M (missed significant time)
2016: $41.9M

His contract is a bargain. People love to complain about problems that don't even exist, when the reality is that great teams exit early practically every single year. That's life.

Not sure why we needed this, no one questioned him? WAR and worth are laughable though. Really? We can figure his worth because of WAR? What have we become as baseball fans. He wasn't worth 41.9 this year

Reaction Score
Sorry Dead but McCann is putrid, strikes out too much and won't hit the ball the other way. He is slow as hell and even when on base makes them play base to base. His catching has been lackluster the last 2 years and they have a younger back up who fits the road moving forward. Kevin has improved enough not to hurt and can hit a bit for average and run a little. If they can move NcCann for anything and eat little $$$$ I would jump on it. Agree with you on Encarnarcion I would throw the dollars at Chapman.
I'm fully in favor of trading both McCann and Gardner, but until they do, they have slots in the lineup. The fact of life that means the Yankees are going to continue trotting out slow, overpaid veterans even if they are barely league average or maybe a bit better doesn't change until that player is no longer on the roster.

I don't PREFER to have McCann in the lineup, but so long as he's on the roster, he's going to play.

I'm curious which Kevin you are referring to. They definitely have options behind McCann that don't require signing Encarnacion or any other DH. And with as bad as the pitching projects to be next year, I doubt very seriously that there is any obtainable bat that could impact the team's overall trajectory in 2017. They managed to stay within striking distance of the playoffs with the roster they had in 2016. I say keep that strategy at least for 2017 and find out for real what you have in guys like Judge, Bird, Austin, Mason Williams, and more.

Reaction Score
McCann is a 33 year old catcher who is barely a league average hitter who only earned 1.3 WAR (which severely over inflates defense and positional scarcity) due to the time he spent behind the plate. Putting McCann at DH nullifies any positive value he would have to the team. I agree, they won't bench him but I think they should look to move him for cash considerations and a couple mid level prospects.

By WAR measures Big Papi was worth "only" 4.4 wins and Encarnacion was only slight behind at 3.9.

The real stats to look at are wOBA and wRC+ where Edwin was .373 and 134 and McCann was .326 and 103. Huge difference.

WAR isn't the end all be all and you just can't count up the games we finished out and get the delta from player in and player out.

The fact remains that the Luxury tax will undoubtedly go up, Miller/Tex are off the books, next year CC/Arod are off the books and the only albatross contract left will be Ellsbury. That's a ton of money off the books and even with some players like Dellin and Didi arbitration eligible they still stand to have a significant decrease in payroll that should be invested back in the big league club.
Indeed. And WHEN those guys are all off the books, then it's time to spend free agent money. Take a look at the top comps for Encarnacion on B-R. All but one were out of the game by age 36. I think he's a very solid bat, but there will be better options in a year or two when it makes sense to spend that money.

Reaction Score
Not sure why we needed this, no one questioned him? WAR and worth are laughable though. Really? We can figure his worth because of WAR? What have we become as baseball fans. He wasn't worth 41.9 this year
Someone had insinuated he's being overpaid.

Most players have up years and down years, and fangraphs' $WAR is based off of a league-wide scale of $/production. So yes, Pedroia was worth 41.9 relative to other players production and salary. It doesn't mean he should/will get paid that, it just means he's bring excess value to his team.

If you think that's crazy, look at what it claims Trout has been worth since he became a full time MLB player (far right column).
IMG_7901.PNG

Reaction Score
Your first paragraph 100% completely proves my point. 12 years later, you Yankees fans are still infuriated that the Red Sox completely neutered your team on the big stage. Generations of Yankees fans could always count on their team being able to snuff the lowly Red Sox out when it counted. It was almost a certainty in their minds But no, what the Red Sox did made the Yankees turn into the Cincinnati Reds for four games when the entire nation was watching. The team made Mariano Rivera, the single best closer in the history of the game, look like Jorge Julio.
Dude, you're grade A, straight up delusional. I'll quote his first paragraph for you:

This is comical. Is that really the myth you're consoling yourself with, after that pathetic display from your team and that pitiful exit by your favorite player? I can send you some prozac if that doesn't work.

Where in the hell do you extract ANYTHING about 2004 there ? LOL!!?! Pretty clear that there is at least one person that is obsessed with 2004, but it's not a Yankees fan. I mean, do you really think there is a Yankees fan alive that loses sleep over the fact that Mariano Rivera blew a possible clinching game in that series ? By all means, go review Mo's postseason stats. Maybe you missed it, but Mo also blew the save and took the loss in game 7 against Arizona. Guess what ? We all survived and got over it.

The really funny thing is you seem to have no idea that the Yankees flat out STUNK for years before they won in 1996. Does that somehow detract from their previous success ? Or since ? Sorry, it doesn't. Every year stands on its own and on bulk, those years all add up to something far more significant for the Yankees than the Sox. You want to celebrate a specific time period you think the Sox were better ? Good for you. Yankee fans have a long list of similarly sized time periods to choose from when the Yankees were significantly better, including one very recent time period.

Reaction Score
How to say this... What you are describing is why 2004 is unique and significant for SOX FANS. And a description of why Yankee fans long since moved on. The 2004 season may have changed things for the Red Sox, but not for the Yankees, nor their fans. You also seem to be confused that the Yankees winning between 1996 and 2003 was life as usual. It wasn't. The Yankees were average - at best - overall for the previous 19 years since they won their previous world series. Not sure you are aware of the world class clubhouse culture of winning under Stump Merrill, circa 1990. Dope.

Reaction Score
Someone had insinuated he's being overpaid.

Most players have up years and down years, and fangraphs' $WAR is based off of a league-wide scale of $/production. So yes, Pedroia was worth 41.9 relative to other players production and salary. It doesn't mean he should/will get paid that, it just means he's bring excess value to his team.

If you think that's crazy, look at what it claims Trout has been worth since he became a full time MLB player (far right column).
View attachment 16130

Wow pretty idiotic numbers for sure. Oh well, that's why they're number geeks. No sense in all reality.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of two mlb teams. The cardinals and whoever is playing the red sux. Both my teams are out of the playoffs

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not talking Pedey, the Cuban/DR dude? You spent some cash, not large but decent, for a AAA player.

I think you are talking about Rusney Castillo (Cuban). Outfielder. Lot's of money, looks to be pretty much AAA.

The second baseman they signed is Yoan Moncada (Cuban). Tons of potential. Called up way too fast this year though. He's only been playing pro ball for a year now.

And while we're talking about Pedey yeah he's good but the guy totally embarrassed himself on 2 strike 3's called by arguing them and looking like a little baby. Those weren't even close and replay showed he was showing up the umpire to save his own face. Surprised at him, should have been tossed at least once for sure, umps.

The whole team embarrassed themselves the entire series. That was probably frustration boiling over, which happens. Especially for a fiery guy like Pedroia.

They showed who they were this year. A young team with potential that needs more seasoning, and a few more arms in the rotation.

Reaction Score
I think you are talking about Rusney Castillo (Cuban). Outfielder. Lot's of money, looks to be pretty much AAA.

The second baseman they signed is Yoan Moncada (Cuban). Tons of potential. Called up way too fast this year though. He's only been playing pro ball for a year now.

Yeah Castillo, pretty penny for a guy who isn;t going to make it but everyone liked him, wanted to take a look. Moncada does look to have some game, young kid long way to go.

Good team all year, the 11 game win streak made them maybe better than actual but propelled them to the high expectations. Great year as a fan, the way it ended happens.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sox disappointed on all levels not just pitching. Their downfall started the last month of the season and they couldn't get it back. Cleveland on the other hand got hot at the right time. Oh well. As for Papi - always liked the guy he was fun to watch but so was Lance Armstrong (not likable but fun to watch). Gotta think some added steroidal influence there.

I'm calling BS. The Sox "downfall" was the last week not month of the season. Before that they went 17-5, 11 in a row. But you would know that if you actually followed the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Hahahahahaha! 12 years later?? Are you 16 years old? Do you have any recollection of who the Yankees were twelve years ago?

Twelve years ago, the Yankees had been to six out of the past eight world series, and won four of them. They were in the middle of a stretch of excellence which was and remains absolutely foreign to the Red Sox, namely, they were making it to the postseason in 18 out of twenty years! In fact, the championship in 2009, which apparently carries no value in Red Sox fan eyes, is unique in baseball history , because it was the only Yankee ring that was won alone, ie, not as part of a multiple-World Series Yankee dynasty. Only in the mind of a Red Sox fan can that kind of success be dismissed by 2004. Neutered?? What a joke. Only the ignorance and arrogance that comes from winning something after 86 years of ineptitude can produce the kind of you're shoveling.

Now it's 2016, and the Yankees aren't even in the playoffs, but Red Sox fans are still comparing their team to the Yankees, and after getting swept, no less!! Here's the only comparison you should be making at this moment, pal: The Red Sox and the Yankees are tied in post season wins in 2016.

But please, pardon me, I interrupted you... Tell me again, who's inside of who's head?

Reaction Score
I'm calling BS. The Sox "downfall" was the last week not month of the season. Before they they went 17-5, 11 in a row. But you would know that if you actually followed the game.

Yep lost 8 of their last 9. Not a month but still a disastrous finish. That 11 in a row though almost got them home for the first 2 which would have been big. But losing 5 of the last 6 was a killer.

Oh well still a pretty damn good year for a baseball fan

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yep lost 8 of their last 9. Not a month but still a disastrous finish. That 11 in a row though almost got them home for the first 2 which would have been big. But losing 5 of the last 6 was a killer.

Oh well still a pretty damn good year for a baseball fan
I still have a rooting interest, though. Love to see Tito to stick it to Theo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom