OT: Red Sox Swept

Discussion in 'Pro Sports (baseball, etc)' started by jibsey, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Deadrody

Deadrody

Dude, you're grade A, straight up delusional. I'll quote his first paragraph for you:

Where in the hell do you extract ANYTHING about 2004 there ? LOL!!?! Pretty clear that there is at least one person that is obsessed with 2004, but it's not a Yankees fan. I mean, do you really think there is a Yankees fan alive that loses sleep over the fact that Mariano Rivera blew a possible clinching game in that series ? By all means, go review Mo's postseason stats. Maybe you missed it, but Mo also blew the save and took the loss in game 7 against Arizona. Guess what ? We all survived and got over it.

The really funny thing is you seem to have no idea that the Yankees flat out STUNK for years before they won in 1996. Does that somehow detract from their previous success ? Or since ? Sorry, it doesn't. Every year stands on its own and on bulk, those years all add up to something far more significant for the Yankees than the Sox. You want to celebrate a specific time period you think the Sox were better ? Good for you. Yankee fans have a long list of similarly sized time periods to choose from when the Yankees were significantly better, including one very recent time period.

ConnHuskBask and mauconnfan like this.
  2. Deadrody

Deadrody

How to say this... What you are describing is why 2004 is unique and significant for SOX FANS. And a description of why Yankee fans long since moved on. The 2004 season may have changed things for the Red Sox, but not for the Yankees, nor their fans. You also seem to be confused that the Yankees winning between 1996 and 2003 was life as usual. It wasn't. The Yankees were average - at best - overall for the previous 19 years since they won their previous world series. Not sure you are aware of the world class clubhouse culture of winning under Stump Merrill, circa 1990. Dope.

mauconnfan likes this.
  3. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

Wow pretty idiotic numbers for sure. Oh well, that's why they're number geeks. No sense in all reality.

4. jayfromfla

jayfromfla

I'm a fan of two mlb teams. The cardinals and whoever is playing the red sux. Both my teams are out of the playoffs

mauconnfan likes this.
  5. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

I think you are talking about Rusney Castillo (Cuban). Outfielder. Lot's of money, looks to be pretty much AAA.

The second baseman they signed is Yoan Moncada (Cuban). Tons of potential. Called up way too fast this year though. He's only been playing pro ball for a year now.

The whole team embarrassed themselves the entire series. That was probably frustration boiling over, which happens. Especially for a fiery guy like Pedroia.

They showed who they were this year. A young team with potential that needs more seasoning, and a few more arms in the rotation.

mauconnfan likes this.
  6. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

7. Waquoit

Waquoit

I'm calling BS. The Sox "downfall" was the last week not month of the season. Before that they went 17-5, 11 in a row. But you would know that if you actually followed the game.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  8. Obrero

Obrero

Hahahahahaha! 12 years later?? Are you 16 years old? Do you have any recollection of who the Yankees were twelve years ago?

Twelve years ago, the Yankees had been to six out of the past eight world series, and won four of them. They were in the middle of a stretch of excellence which was and remains absolutely foreign to the Red Sox, namely, they were making it to the postseason in 18 out of twenty years! In fact, the championship in 2009, which apparently carries no value in Red Sox fan eyes, is unique in baseball history , because it was the only Yankee ring that was won alone, ie, not as part of a multiple-World Series Yankee dynasty. Only in the mind of a Red Sox fan can that kind of success be dismissed by 2004. Neutered?? What a joke. Only the ignorance and arrogance that comes from winning something after 86 years of ineptitude can produce the kind of s**t you're shoveling.

Now it's 2016, and the Yankees aren't even in the playoffs, but Red Sox fans are still comparing their team to the Yankees, and after getting swept, no less!! Here's the only comparison you should be making at this moment, pal: The Red Sox and the Yankees are tied in post season wins in 2016.

But please, pardon me, I interrupted you... Tell me again, who's inside of who's head?

mauconnfan likes this.
  9. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

Yep lost 8 of their last 9. Not a month but still a disastrous finish. That 11 in a row though almost got them home for the first 2 which would have been big. But losing 5 of the last 6 was a killer.

Oh well still a pretty damn good year for a baseball fan

10. Waquoit

Waquoit

I still have a rooting interest, though. Love to see Tito to stick it to Theo.

11. intlzncster

Why don't you like Theo? If it wasn't for Lucchino, he'd probably still be the Sox GM.

mauconnfan likes this.
  12. tentoes4rings

tentoes4rings

I've got as much as you can handle. What is so hilarious? You can't just write a vague response without some specifics to back up your point.

13. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

Plus, the Yanks will not want Bird playing 1st base every day in '17, should he win the spot, as he is coming off a major injury and ditto Sanchez as we have seen what happens to guys like Carter and Piazza who ae behind the plate every day. The DH slot can be used by those two periodically and maybe Butler if he sticks around for a full season. That should be plenty of power without wasting dollars on the FA market. If money is to be spend there, I would like to see a bonafied lead-off hitter, assuming none of the younglings are ready yet; or better yet, on starting pitching.

mauconnfan likes this.
  14. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

Because Red Sox fans consider anyone who left them a traitor, even if the guy was run out of town by and idiot in the front office.

mauconnfan likes this.
  15. tentoes4rings

tentoes4rings

The Sox have made the playoffs 11 times since 1995, 50% of the time! Give me a break on the last place finishes Mau, nobody gives a sh#t about a team that makes the playoffs and gets knocked out early. I can attest to that after this Sox loss to Cleveland. The goal is to win a World Series so I'll take a few bad seasons along the way, sprinkled in with titles, just like we've seen out of our Huskies. And I think I can speak for all Boneyard Sox fans, when I say none of us wish we were you! You have reason to be optimistic moving forward but with our young core we are as well positioned for the next 5-6 years as any team in baseball. You'll never see Fenway half empty in September when the Red Sox are still in playoff contention, you can't say the same.

16. intlzncster

If the Cubs win it this year, Theo will have been the guy to stop 85 and 107 year World Series droughts. woooo boy

Mr. Conehead likes this.
  17. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

I actually respect the Sox have put into their farm system as I believe that that is the 'right' way to do things until the Yankees of the last ten years or so and the Sox in 2010/11, especially. That said, both teams have one glaring hole, which is key to winning MLB playoff series - at least 1, preferably 2 bonafied, proven, shut-down playoff pitchers. Tanaka (lifetime playoff experience: appearances, 1 start, record 0-1, ERA 3.60) has not proven himself yet while CC (lifetime playoff experience: 19 appearances, 18 starts, record 9-5, ERA 4.53) is past his prime for the Yanks. For the Sox, Porcello (lifetime playoff experience: 9 appearances, 3 starts, record of 0-3, ERA of 5.66) and Price (lifetime playoff experience: 15 appearances, 9 starts, record 2-8, ERA 5.54) to date have proven not to be playoff pitchers.

That said for 2016, a mediocre Yankees team did outsell the World Series dreaming Red Sox 3,063,000 versus 2,955,000, which is an average of 37,819 to 36,486. Not bad for a team that was dead by the All-Star break only to get a quick injection of life and hope at the end of the season. By the way, when are the Red Sox moving out of that AAA sized ball park they have?

Boston Red Sox Team Player Roster - ESPN

18. intlzncster

God I hope not. I'm it's nice to go sit in fancy luxurious seats, but for the few games I do get to, I really enjoy being kind of transported back in time. It's cool to soak in the history. I haven't been to Wrigley, and frankly, it's the only other park I'm really interested in going to.

And pitching is a glaring hole for the Sox right now. They have some good arms, but they do need 'the guy' to get it done in the post season; there's no Pedro, Schilling, Beckett, Lester, etc.

They need more quality depth in both the rotation and the pen. Losing Carson Smith early hurt the pen bad this year, but that just means it wasn't deep enough to begin with. The Sox haven't seemed to be able to develop any young stud pitchers. I don't get it. I look at teams like the Tigers, the Mets, and the A's of a few years ago and I salivate.

Traded Anderson Espinoza for Drew Pomeranz this year. If Espinoza (who very early on) becomes 'the next Pedro', I'll $h1t myself.

Mr. Conehead likes this.
  19. The Viking

The Viking

If you stayed up to hear the TBS postgame, they had Sheffield and Rollins raving about him and one of the two - I believe Sheffield - said that Papi would go say hi to a ton of players during BP and if he didn't go say hi to some players, the ones who he missed would go up to him to talk.
    He is very well liked by a lot of players. Even ex-Yankees say so.
    But I suppose you know more than MLB players.

20. The Viking

The Viking

Usually when I'm watching the Sox I'll flip over to YES during commercials. The real average attendance in YS this year was probably a lot closer to 15-20K then 37K. The amount of empty seats - even when they were turning it on in the end - was amazing.

21. The Viking

The Viking

2004 changed the fanbases more than the organizations.
    I can tell you that Yankees fans aren't the a***holz they once were pre-2004 and I hardly hear them talk about Bucky and Boone anymore. Because they can't.
    That's what 2004 did. You may think Sox fans are massive dicks now - and maybe they are - but where do you think we learned it from?

22. zyron

zyron

And in the same time the Yanks made the playoffs 17 times, won 5 World Series while losing 2 and never came in last place.

Mr. Conehead likes this.
  23. zyron

zyron

Yourselves.

24. intlzncster

No, but I do still think about Grady Little on occasion. :(

mauconnfan likes this.
  25. intlzncster

God I miss Orsillo. Such a goof. "There's your fan of the game...until he gets thrown out."

26. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

Ok Vike everyone loves him LOL. They all do on TV, they have to don't be so naive for crying out loud. Keep on hating ARod and enjoy your little fantasy.

27. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

You ARE massive di**s or at least the majority of the newbies are for sure, it's not me thinking it I promise.

28. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

37-38K? WOW most of which joined in in 2004. My company has season tickets for decades I was going with customers to games in August September with 18-20K in Fenway at times prior to 2000. And even after a few times when things weren't going well. It's no different than anywhere, maybe a bit better now with that delirious Nation of yours.

Last place 2 of the last 4 years and every year you had reason to be optimistic, let's see how it works out ok? Fans give a shot about being in a race all or most of the year who are you kidding? Tell me you were happy as a fan last year when you were history at the All Star break and I will tell you you're full of major crap.

29. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

So MLB's official attendance figures are wrong for Yankee Stadium? Possible. If they are, then they are wrong for Fenway Park, too. Don't go by what's on TV either as the seats behind home plate at Yankee are so expensive, no one buys them. Looks horrible on TV. I was at Yankee for Papi's last game and the stadium looked to be about 2/3 filled, which is what I would expect for a weeknight game on a cool, rainy night the day after the Yanks were officially eliminated from the playoffs.

30. Waquoit

Waquoit

Theo was the one that insinuated Francona was on pills at the end of their time in Boston. That was crappy. And my 2nd favorite team is any team Tito is coaching.