Reaction Score
You say some utterly ridiculous things but this is one of your top 10
I KNOW my UConn basketball as well as any person and to say that.......... Wow
Foolish is what foolish knows

Sarcasm gtcam I do believe.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
It's good that UConn basketball is about to resume soon as I was looking forward to the Sox in the post-season and the NY Giants are looking incapable.

Reaction Score
It's good that UConn basketball is about to resume soon as I was looking forward to the Sox in the post-season and the NY Giants are looking incapable.

But Marat both are correct - Sox were in the post season and the Giants are incapable. LOL

And I agree, thank God for UConn basketball!

Reaction Score
superjohn just hates Boston teams and players in general( even though he's gonna try to deny it). That's really all there is to it.
Mostly just have a problem with some of the fans. Growing up I didn't know any Patriots fans and now the same people claim to be lifelong diehard fans. I have zero problem with the Celtics and have actually kind of liked them over the years. Don't like the Red Sox but Ortiz is the only player they've ever had who I legit can't stand. My guess is I have disliked more Yankee players than Red Sox players over the years. . . . . . . . I have never liked a player as much in any sport as I like Johnnie Selvie though. He played the game the way it was meant to play. He had a style and grace that was rare, he had a certain Je ne sais quoi.

Reaction Score
Mostly just have a problem with some of the fans. Growing up I didn't know any Patriots fans and now the same people claim to be lifelong diehard fans. I have zero problem with the Celtics and have actually kind of liked them over the years. Don't like the Red Sox but Ortiz is the only player they've ever had who I legit can't stand. My guess is I have disliked more Yankee players than Red Sox players over the years. . . . . . . . I have never liked a player as much in any sport as I like Johnnie Selvie though. He played the game the way it was meant to play. He had a style and grace that was rare, he had a certain Je ne sais quoi.

Now it's scaring me on JTime LOL

But you can't be more spot on as far as the fans. Of course the denial will always be there, but most of what you say rings true for me also. I think I feel it even more having grown up in CT where Sox fans (didn't know a Pats fan from '59 to '90 in Central CT) were friends, then moving to WesMass in '90. The Sox fans I grew up with were friends and we had friendly banter. Even when I moved up here, not much. But 2004 changed it all. And then the combo of the 2 teams from then on and the realization is they were all fans of both? Ouch you want loud and arrogant, move here.LOL.....honestly when the Pats were starting to win I was rooting for them, hell I'm a NE guy too why not if the Giants aren't in. Then the Pats fans became Red Sox fans in 2004 and I realized how much I couldn't stand them. They will never realize it, but they act like they've never been there. Kinda Cuse/PC like fans - not all mind you but the majority and the wagon is totally full now LOL

Reaction Score
Hardly. His original contract ran through 2015. He was below league average for 2013, 2014, and 2015. He was actually pretty good this year. Considering the other problems with the Yankees pitching staff this year, it would have been even worse without Sabathia. All things considered, the original contract was more than a bit optimistic, but in reality, the extension has been a net positive so far. We'll see if he can maintain his new found success in his final year.

Eh. You give a 29-year-old a seven year contract and you're not expecting him to be great all seven years. He stepped in and submitted four straight CY Young caliber years at a time when the Yankees were in the midst of one of the great pitching droughts in franchise history. Given the innings he threw - both in the regular season where he went 74-29 and the playoffs where he was 7-2 - he was worth more than he was paid in the first four years of the contract.

For an organization that prints money you do that deal 100 times out of 100.

Reaction Score
They do have a real chubby 3rd baseman and a mighty mouse 2nd baseman they spent some cash on too which won't add up all that well. ARod doesn't count anyway, they wanted him too and would've had the same situation. Yanks have had plenty of crappy contracts besides him anyway, now they have some. We have always heard about them, tough when the shoes on the other foot.

Ignoring A-Rod, the Yanks have the following $10 million + contracts left on the books after 2017.

• Butler: DH age 30 - 2017 $10 million (recent FA signing)
  • Castro: 2B age 26 - 2017 $9 million, 2018 $10 million, 2019 $11 million, 2020 $16 million w/ $1 million club buyout option
  • Ellsbury: OF, age 33 - 2017 > 2021 $21.14 million 2017 w/ $5 million club buyout in 2021
  • Gardner: OF, age 33 - 2017 $12 million, 2018 $11 million, 2019 $12.5 million w/ $2 million club buyout option
  • Headley: 3B, age 32 - 2017 $13 million, 2018 $13 million
  • McCann: C, age 32 - 2017 $17 million, 2018 $17 million, 2019 $15 million club option
  • Sabathia: P, age 36 - 2017 $25 million vesting w/ $5 million club buyout option
  • Swisher: DH, age 25 - 2017 $14 million vesting club option
  • Tanaka: P, age 27 - 2017 > 2019: $22 million, 2020 $23 million
No idea about Butler if they can drop his contract in 2017. Casto is only 26 and had a solid year, though he maybe trade bait at the end of '17 if the Yanks are truly focused on '18 and beyond, which I hope. They can't get rid of Ellsbury if they wanted to. Gardenr, unless traded in '17, will be in the Bronx until he is bought out in 2019. As the Yanks don't have a 3B in the system ready, Headley is here for another year. McCann will not be on the roster for Opening Day in '17 one way or another. CC is not worth $25 million a year, but, proved serviceable and thus I expect will play out his final contract year in the Bronx. I did not even know Swisher was still under contract, I think he's semi-retired. Tanaka is staying, though he is really a #2 starter, not #1.

This should give them plenty of flexibility to lock-up the younger stars like Sanchez who will have 2017 and 2018 to prove themselves to 'reasonable' contracts while they are young and a small number of key FA signings to fill key wholes, which right now looks to be the starting rotation.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The Sox disappointed on all levels not just pitching. Their downfall started the last month of the season and they couldn't get it back. Cleveland on the other hand got hot at the right time. Oh well. As for Papi - always liked the guy he was fun to watch but so was Lance Armstrong (not likable but fun to watch). Gotta think some added steroidal influence there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sarcasm gtcam I do believe.
If so - my bad
BUT in reading other posts maybe not?
If it is, I'm either getting too old for this place or maybe just plain don't get it!!!!!
Thanks Mau

Reaction Score
Happy for Francona and happy Big Phony had his career end like that. I had the Red Sox in the World Series, no way they should have been swept by a depleted Indians team.

Ortiz is a great dude off the field. I'm not sure who told you otherwise.

Reaction Score
Ignoring A-Rod, the Yanks have the following $10 million + contracts left on the books after 2017.

• Castro: 2B age 26 - 2017 $9 million, 2018 $10 million, 2019 $11 million, 2020 $16 million w/ $1 million club buyout option
  • Ellsbury: OF, age 33 - 2017 > 2021 $21.14 million 2017 w/ $5 million club buyout in 2021
  • Gardner: OF, age 33 - 2017 $12 million, 2018 $11 million, 2019 $12.5 million w/ $2 million club buyout option
  • McCann: C, age 32 - 2017 $17 million, 2018 $17 million, 2019 $15 million club option
  • Sabathia: P, age 36 - 2017 $25 million vesting w/ $5 million club buyout option
No idea about Butler if they can drop his contract in 2017. Casto is only 26 and had a solid year, though he maybe trade bait at the end of '17 if the Yanks are truly focused on '18 and beyond, which I hope. They can't get rid of Ellsbury if they wanted to. Gardenr, unless traded in '17, will be in the Bronx until he is bought out in 2019. As the Yanks don't have a 3B in the system ready, Headley is here for another year. McCann will not be on the roster for Opening Day in '17 one way or another. CC is not worth $25 million a year, but, proved serviceable and thus I expect will play out his final contract year in the Bronx. I did not even know Swisher was still under contract, I think he's semi-retired. Tanaka is staying, though he is really a #2 starter, not #1.

This should give them plenty of flexibility to lock-up the younger stars like Sanchez who will have 2017 and 2018 to prove themselves to 'reasonable' contracts while they are young and a small number of key FA signings to fill key wholes, which right now looks to be the starting rotation.
Gardner will be traded with the Yanks eating salary, what does he do well other than field? Not a base stealer, no pop, no average, nothing. I would keep McCann and alternate catching and DH with Sanchez. Headley I can live with and Ellsbury too but a real power bat is needed for the outfield as Cashman said. 10 million is nothing in MLB these days. A budding star in the system is Frazier from the Cincy deal. Pitching is what you need for the playoffs as the Red Sox found out and there is never a guarantee on that, but the Yank offense was pathetic.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Really funny seeing fans of other teams react with more emotion and fervor when the Red Sox and Ortiz lose than they do when anything happens to their own teams. It must be weird having a franchise and player you don't even root for occupy so much space in your head.

Reaction Score

Butler was waived by Oakland, they are paying the minimum on that if they even keep him (Oakland pays all the rest). Who is Swisher? Nick Swisher lol? He would be paid nothing by Yanks too if that is who you are talking about.

Reaction Score
Really funny seeing fans of other teams react with more emotion and fervor when the Red Sox and Ortiz lose than they do when anything happens to their own teams. It must be weird having a franchise and player you don't even root for occupy so much space in your head.
Yeah, like Red Sox fans not caring whether the Yanks win or lose if the shoe is on the other foot? Last year my friends who are RS fans were like "anybody but the Yankees".

Reaction Score
The team occupies no space in my head, they will always be second rate compared to the Yankees. Ortiz occupies a little space in the sense that he's gotten a free pass and some Sox fans think he was better than Ted Williams. It would be a travesty if that half way player makes it in to the Hall while Bonds and Clemens are left out.

Reaction Score

Suffice to say that they don't owe Butler nor Swisher a single penny. Once they were cut by their previous team, whoever signs them is not on the hook for the original contract - their original team is.

Reaction Score
I think it's great that Arod and Ortiz will be on the same HOF ballot! Those two being on the same ballot as Teixeira might actually help Tex. Although I don't think Tex will get enough votes first ballot he may somewhere down the road.

Reaction Score
Selvie was a pin point passer. At least the one that I saw.

Reaction Score
I think it's great that Arod and Ortiz will be on the same HOF ballot! Those two being on the same ballot as Teixeira might actually help Tex. Although I don't think Tex will get enough votes first ballot he may somewhere down the road.
I didn't even know Teixeira retired! That might be indicative of where he registers on your museum meter. I think an apt analogy is ARod/Ortiz possible backlash would help Teixeira like Gary Johnson has been helped in 2016 election.

Reaction Score
Teixeira has zero chance at the Hall.

Reaction Score

FriarJ much?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Happy for Francona and happy Big Phony had his career end like that. I had the Red Sox in the World Series, no way they should have been swept by a depleted Indians team.

That was a mistake, considering Toronto is clearly the only team in the AL built to win in the playoffs (Cleveland too, if they were healthy, but they are not).

Blue Jays - Cubs will be an all time classic.

Reaction Score
Since only one person actually responded the way you envision we all do, you might want to keep in mind that the Yankees haven't played in a week. I'd also say that first post was pretty tame for "emotion and fervor"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Casto is only 26 and had a solid year, though he maybe trade bait at the end of '17 if the Yanks are truly focused on '18 and beyond, which I hope. They can't get rid of Ellsbury if they wanted to. Gardenr, unless traded in '17, will be in the Bronx until he is bought out in 2019. As the Yanks don't have a 3B in the system ready, Headley is here for another year. McCann will not be on the roster for Opening Day in '17 one way or another. CC is not worth $25 million a year, but, proved serviceable and thus I expect will play out his final contract year in the Bronx. I did not even know Swisher was still under contract, I think he's semi-retired. Tanaka is staying, though he is really a #2 starter, not #1.

Gardner will be traded with the Yanks eating salary, what does he do well other than field? Not a base stealer, no pop, no average, nothing. I would keep McCann and alternate catching and DH with Sanchez. Headley I can live with and Ellsbury too but a real power bat is needed for the outfield as Cashman said. 10 million is nothing in MLB these days. A budding star in the system is Frazier from the Cincy deal. Pitching is what you need for the playoffs as the Red Sox found out and there is never a guarantee on that, but the Yank offense was pathetic.

So... Gardner was actually the team's second most valuable (most valuable non-pitcher) player this season. I suppose that says more about the team's construction than anything else. Sanchez came close to passing him in 2 months, tho.

Tanaka isn't a #1 ? He's a legitimate Cy Young contender. Behind only Kluber, Verlander, and Sale. I'll take it.

If they sign anyone this winter, it will be Chapman. They'll roll the dice with the offense as is - Sanchez, McCann, Headley, Gregorious, Castro, Bird, Austin, Hicks, Gardner, Ellsbury, and Judge. What they will need to do is acquire pitching somehow, some way. Right now they have CC, Tanaka, and Pineda, and all 3 of them have injury risks. They may try and count on Warren, Mitchell, Cessa, and Green, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Right now they have CC, Tanaka, and Pineda, and all 3 of them have injury risks. They may try and count on Warren, Mitchell, Cessa, and Green, but I doubt it.

I still think Severino will figure it out. Will just turn 23 next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom