OT: Pool Tables | The Boneyard

OT: Pool Tables

Reaction Score
So we bought this house in Georgia about two and a half years ago. Every room in the house is furnished with the exception of the dining room. We have a table in an eating area already with two leaves which can easily sit 12 to 14 people, so getting a dining room table hasn't been a priority and everytime we look to get one we cannot find anything we like. So we are looking to convert this dining room into an area for a pool table. Not looking to go broke on this thing, but want something that is elegant to match the area rug we have already purchased for the room.

Anyone have experience with pool tables? I am looking at some of the Legacy tables that I think will work well for us. The room is just about 17x13. From what I have been able to read this is the ideal size for a 4x8 table.

Reaction Score
T&M Billiards on the Silas Deane in Rocky Hill. Great line of Brunswick pool tables. Hours and hours of fun with family and friends. Had mine for 30 years then we junked it. Got mine custom built from a guy in East Hartford years ago, but he is no longer in business. Make absolutely sure you have enough room to use a full size cue stick and that you are not hitting a wall. Good luck and have fun.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So we bought this house in Georgia about two and a half years ago. Every room in the house is furnished with the exception of the dining room. We have a table in an eating area already with two leaves which can easily sit 12 to 14 people, so getting a dining room table hasn't been a priority and everytime we look to get one we cannot find anything we like. So we are looking to convert this dining room into an area for a pool table. Not looking to go broke on this thing, but want something that is elegant to match the area rug we have already purchased for the room.

Anyone have experience with pool tables? I am looking at some of the Legacy tables that I think will work well for us. The room is just about 17x13. From what I have been able to read this is the ideal size for a 4x8 table.
13x17 is just barely big enough for an 8 foot table - probably a little short. When you put in chairs and cue racks, it will be very tight. As a semi serious pool player, there is nothing more frustrating than having to take a shot with a cue tapping the wall or having to switch to a crappy short cue. A 7' table may deliver a better experience, but an 8' table is so much better to play on.

As for the table, no matter what, make sure it's 3 piece slate and spend the extra $300 or so to have a professional level it. Also, being on carpet adds some complexity to leveling. Let it sit for a couple weeks before having it leveled.

Final piece of advice, once it's leveled, don't get all tanked up and decide to have a romantic tryst on it because you've seen it in the movies. It's incredibly uncomfortable, felt burns > rug burns, and you'll have to spend another $300 to re-level it.

Reaction Score
I don't have a picture of the room and we are out of state right now, but I found a picture from when the previous homeowner put the house on the market. They took pictures of every room in the house but this one. However I was able to get a bit of it included in a photo from the living room. As you can see, the room is wide open on two sides, so perhaps I can shift it a smidge to not make it look too off centered but still afford the player some space where there are walls.
Screenshot_20180728-114623_Zillow.jpg

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

For your room size and to play on what's in nearly every saloon in the country, buy a 3 1/2 x 7 foot Valley table. These have a slate top and are great to play on. I started playing on 9 footers in the 50's, then every place and everyone (including me) got an 8 footer, and, finally, all or most bars went to the Valley 7 footer. I played league pool on the Valley for years and it never mattered to me because if you can shoot on one you can shoot on any of them. The 7 footer will be awesome for your room and be certain to mount a pool table light that hovers near the table surface so you don't have to contend with shadows.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't have a picture of the room and we are out of state right now, but I found a picture from when the previous homeowner put the house on the market. They took pictures of every room in the house but this one. However I was able to get a bit of it included in a photo from the living room. As you can see, the room is wide open on two sides, so perhaps I can shift it a smidge to not make it look too off centered but still afford the player some space where there are walls. View attachment 33293

Lose the kneewall, turn the table into the larger area, and shift your furniture around. Better yet, install a dartboard instead.

Reaction Score
Lose the kneewall, turn the table into the larger area, and shift your furniture around. Better yet, install a dartboard instead.
How about a bowling alley? Remove the front door, extend the hardwood to the end of the porch, stall pin racking machine and ball return.

Reaction Score
So those discussing the size. Is the 7ft frowned upon be those serious pool players? Is the experience more degraded by the size of the table or being too close to a wall?

I'm not having tournaments at the house. It's almost a piece of furniture that takes up that space then a table to become an expert pool player on. I think it will get some good use when people come over and it's in a great spot with good sightlines to the TV.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Your taste and budget are your own obviously, but you might be better served looking at a used one. I'm guessing there are a lot of older homes with unused tables they might be willing to unload. I think of them as furniture and older is usually better quality. I'm also partial to the traditional green felt.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So those discussing the size. Is the 7ft frowned upon be those serious pool players? Is the experience more degraded by the size of the table or being too close to a wall?

I'm not having tournaments at the house. It's almost a piece of furniture that takes up that space then a table to become an expert pool player on. I think it will get some good use when people come over and it's in a great spot with good sightlines to the TV.
An 8' table will have a more classic look. While bars have 7' tables, they just look like you cheaped out in the house, particularly if you aren't joining an APA or BCA league and want to practice on what they play on. With the knee wall and open short side, you will be able to get away with the 8 footer, you just won't be able to put much furniture around it. Stick to easily moved bar stools. And I agree with going with an antique open pocket model. It is a piece of furniture. The one you posted above is excellent. Again, as a semi serious player, I can't abide by anything but green felt, but I understand as furniture getting felt to match your decor makes sense. Just stick with Simonis. For home use, I'd go with 860. It's a little thicker/slower than 760 so it will last a little longer and 760 is really a tournament felt.

Reaction Score
13x17 is just barely big enough for an 8 foot table - probably a little short. When you put in chairs and cue racks, it will be very tight. As a semi serious pool player, there is nothing more frustrating than having to take a shot with a cue tapping the wall or having to switch to a crappy short cue. A 7' table may deliver a better experience, but an 8' table is so much better to play on.

As for the table, no matter what, make sure it's 3 piece slate and spend the extra $300 or so to have a professional level it. Also, being on carpet adds some complexity to leveling. Let it sit for a couple weeks before having it leveled.

Final piece of advice, once it's leveled, don't get all tanked up and decide to have a romantic tryst on it because you've seen it in the movies. It's incredibly uncomfortable, felt burns > rug burns, and you'll have to spend another $300 to re-level it.
Knock a wall out and add a snooker table.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’ve always had great experiences with AW Jennings Billiards in Anchorage, AK.

Reaction Score
I found a nice claw foot table, 3 pc slate on letgo for $500. I liked letgo more than Craigslist as it's easier to talk with the seller and less scams. I wouldn't waste the extra money to buy a new/custom table especially if you're just using it for casual play (mines an 8' in my basement on carpet and plays more than fine for my casual use). And like OP said, definitely pay the 300 to have someone put it together and level for you

For the most part you can find some pretty nice used tables for 500-800. Nice new table will easily run you 2000-3000+

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Alpharetta. Tell the dogs to avoid rush hour. 400 is a real bitch during that time.
Last couple pieces of advice. First, I suggest you contact the Atlanta APA League Operator. League operators always know the best installers in your area. It will typically be a 60+ year old guy who will show up with a bevy of levels and won't do anything fast. You could also ask the league operator if he knows of anyone getting rid of a table or table supplies. They really are a great wealth of information. You could save a ton on balls, cues, etc. even if you want to stick with a new table.

2nd thing is chalk. Always spend the money to get Masters chalk - it's really not much of an expense but cheap chalk is almost useless. Also, I would suggest getting chalk the same color as the felt you choose. It just makes everything stay looking cleaner even if you clean the table after each use.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
A beautiful 8' antique pocket table fit very nicely in my sister's center hall colonial (14' x 28'?) living room. I think the space you've described would be too cramped.

For years, the table was in the basement, but after my brother-in-law's commercial illustration business all but dried up, they swapped locations by moving his studio downstairs and the table upstairs. They had no children and ample room elsewhere in the house.

The table's high water mark was when it was covered with plywood & an enormous table cloth for an 18-person family Thanksgiving dinner during the project when they transformed the space from art studio to billiard room. At the time of their divorce, they could find no buyer easily and ended up donating the table to a local VFW or similar such hall.

In an area sized as yours, I played hours and hours of enjoyable bumper pool at a friend's house during my senior year of high school.

I've been told that you shouldn't purchase a billiard table out of your own time zone, but that may be a wives' tale.

Reaction Score
4 x 8 table playing surfice is 44” x 88”. Standard pool cue length is 58”.
You need enough room to comfortable bring the cue back when you are near the edge-

Cue length 58” + 58” + playing surfice 44” is 160” wide total.
Width would be 204” total.
This is minimum recomended size, 17’ x 13’4” without hitting walls occassionally unless you get shorter cues.
Either way would be tight with no room for anything but the table. You can try sliding it over a bit towards your open walls but still may have a problem near the corner.

You will have a little more room on a 3.5 x 7 table, minimum room size is 16’2” x 13’1”.

definatly get slate, 7 footers are all 1 piece slate 8 and 9 are 3 piece.

Agree with the other poster who said to use simones cloth, you should be able to get this in multiple colors such as blue. At the very least do not get knapped cloth that is like playing on grass.

Legacy is a good choice if you go new, a step below the costly brands and great for home use. I was going to get one of those myself but decided to wait and get a 9” diamond instead.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I have a 6 foot table in my den, with no furniture on the ends and it is just a little tight in an 11x11 room, but workable. I ordered mine online a number of years ago and they delivered it, set it up and leveled it.

Edit; it's a 7 foot table and the room is 14 X 14; I decided to check, lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom