OT: Pool Tables | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Pool Tables

Reaction Score
Peak Boneyard.
Pool tables are very heavy and expensive to ship. I don't know for sure but there may be a pool table dealer closer to Georgia than Rocky Hill.

Reaction Score
[Referring to Snooker]No. Bigger tables, with no pockets.
Somebody better tell Ronny O that he's been playing on the wrong table all these years!
Seriously though, snooker has pockets.

Best Snooker quote ever, from Ronny O'Sullivan, who - by far in my opinion - is the greatest cue sport player (snooker and pool) that has ever lived:

Toward the end of a match against #20 in the world Robidoux, Ronnie played a bunch of shots left handed. Ronnie is right handed, and at the time was the best in the world. If Ronnie played left handed, he probably could have been close to the best in the world. Think of how nuts just that one statement is.
The other player, who was whooped 10-3, was pissed and said it was a "sign" of disrespect.
Later, when asked about that comment, Ronnie said, "it's a sign that I'm better left handed than he is right handed."
Seriously though, if Ronnie played 9 ball when he was young, he would easily have been the best ever. Alien-like.

Reaction Score
Somebody better tell Ronny O that he's been playing on the wrong table all these years!
Seriously though, snooker has pockets.

Best Snooker quote ever, from Ronny O'Sullivan, who - by far in my opinion - is the greatest cue sport player (snooker and pool) that has ever lived:

Toward the end of a match against #20 in the world Robidoux, Ronnie played a bunch of shots left handed. Ronnie is right handed, and at the time was the best in the world. If Ronnie played left handed, he probably could have been close to the best in the world. Think of how nuts just that one statement is.
The other player, who was whooped 10-3, was pissed and said it was a "sign" of disrespect.
Later, when asked about that comment, Ronnie said, "it's a sign that I'm better left handed than he is right handed."
Seriously though, if Ronnie played 9 ball when he was young, he would easily have been the best ever. Alien-like.
Ack, you’re right... it was 50 years ago... they are smaller than normal, that why I forgot they were there. Have to be perfect.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Ack, you’re right... it was 50 years ago... they are smaller than normal, that why I forgot they were there. Have to be perfect.

You're both kind of right.

Billiard tables have no pockets and the game is to hit the object ball, make it hit three rails and hit the target ball. The tables are big. Over 9 feet and up to 10x5.
Snooker tables have pockets that are rather narrow (compared to pool tables) and are huge ranging anywhere from 10x5 to 12x6.
Pool tables have wider pockets than snooker tables and are typically smaller. Bars (and APA) tables are typically 7x3.5 ranging up to 9x4.5 feet for professional tournament play.

Reaction Score
You're both kind of right.

Billiard tables have no pockets and the game is to hit the object ball, make it hit three rails and hit the target ball. The tables are big. Over 9 feet and up to 10x5.
Snooker tables have pockets that are rather narrow (compared to pool tables) and are huge ranging anywhere from 10x5 to 12x6.
Pool tables have wider pockets than snooker tables and are typically smaller. Bars (and APA) tables are typically 7x3.5 ranging up to 9x4.5 feet for professional tournament play.
Must have confused billiards and snooker. Thanks

Reaction Score
I have a 6 foot table in my den, with no furniture on the ends and it is just a little tight in an 11x11 room, but workable. I ordered mine online a number of years ago and they delivered it, set it up and leveled it.

Edit; it's a 7 foot table and the room is 14 X 14; I decided to check, lol.
How tight are things in that 14x14 room? Like I said, I can cheat the table towards the open areas of the room to afford more space where there are walls. I also read to put the table closer to the wall where you would break from as it is likely most of the game would be played from the side of the table where the balls were racked.

Any issue with the weight of these things sitting on hardwood floors?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Dont forget to make sure your floor can handle the load. When we bought our house there was a pool table in the living room. When we pulled the carpet and put in hardwood floors there was a 3/8” deflection right where the pool table was. We’ve got 2x10 floor joist too.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
How tight are things in that 14x14 room? Like I said, I can cheat the table towards the open areas of the room to afford more space where there are walls. I also read to put the table closer to the wall where you would break from as it is likely most of the game would be played from the side of the table where the balls were racked.

Any issue with the weight of these things sitting on hardwood floors?

We have to use a short stick if the cue ball is real close to one of the ends, but otherwise it's fine. Like someone else said, it doesn't need to be a professional setup.

As far as the weight is concerned, I have it on a hardwood floor and my house has a crawl space - no basement and no slab. The table has been in the same spot for 17 years.

This photo will give you a good idea of the space.

1011138_10151715624262351_1366626198_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dont forget to make sure your floor can handle the load. When we bought our house there was a pool table in the living room. When we pulled the carpet and put in hardwood floors there was a 3/8” deflection right where the pool table was. We’ve got 2x10 floor joist too.
A large, heavy pool table weighs about 1,000 pounds.
The pool table has 4 legs, usually.
That's 250 pounds per leg. Static load, not live load.
That's like 4 overweight guy standing a few feet apart from each other in your room.

Unless you have a rotten or improperly built floors, this is a non-issue. Also, an 800 pound pool table will make your floor less jumpy. Lol.

I remember when I was running a saltwalter fish tank. Guy would be putting in a 100 gallon tank and everybody would be warning him to add supports in the basement. 100 gallons x 8 pounds, plus tank and some live rock, or about 1,000 pounds. Same analysis.

Reaction Score
Ended up getting a Brunswick Contender Allenton. I was not about to spend a ton of money on one of these things and it was important for us to have a table that looked like a piece of dining room furniture. They were running half off the accessories kits and threw in a ping pong conversion top.

Went with the 8' table as that was what was recommended by some here as well as the salesman (no difference in price between the 7' and 8').

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ended up getting a Brunswick Contender Allenton. I was not about to spend a ton of money on one of these things and it was important for us to have a table that looked like a piece of dining room furniture. They were running half off the accessories kits and threw in a ping pong conversion top.

Went with the 8' table as that was what was recommended by some here as well as the salesman (no difference in price between the 7' and 8').
Have you gotten it home yet? How does it play? Do you have enough room?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

How’d you get it home from Rocky Hill?

Reaction Score
Have you gotten it home yet? How does it play? Do you have enough room?
They are backordered. Truck leaves the manufacturer on Friday. Should be another 2 weeks or so before it's in the house.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They are backordered. Truck leaves the manufacturer on Friday. Should be another 2 weeks or so before it's in the house.
Let us know how it worked out. It was kind of a coin flip as to size. Let us know it turns out okay.

Reaction Score
Let us know how it worked out. It was kind of a coin flip as to size. Let us know it turns out okay.
I honestly think it's going to be tight. We will see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom