OT: Player who didn’t make the baseball Hall of Fame that you think should? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Player who didn’t make the baseball Hall of Fame that you think should?

Who should be a hall of gamer before time runs out?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
So look at Petitte. 100 Games over 500. I look at traditional stats. I agree other stats not overwhelming...BUT, he did pitch against the steroid era hitters so if we think the juice affected their #'s, it would only make sense that the pitchers would have higher ERA's against them. He pitched 18 years and never had a losing season. Please tell me THAT counts for something? 11 of those years Winning pct over 600. Pretty convincing argument to me.

Reaction Score
I voted for Schilling and Walker. I would have voted for McGriff if he was up there.
MLB network had a great piece on McGriff. If you believe Bonds deserves to be in (which I don't), then you should have to vote for McGriff, too. He and Bonds basically had the same numbers until Bonds starting juicing. He was an elite hitter for about 15 years, and the when the Braves traded for him he was fantastic. They one by 1 game in their division, and he hit like 360 with around a dozen homers down the stretch. Even though those Braves team will be best know for coming up short in the playoffs, it wasn't his fault. He hit over 300 and drove in guys when they were on base.

Reaction Score
I voted for Schilling and Walker. I would have voted for McGriff if he was up there.
MLB network had a great piece on McGriff. If you believe Bonds deserves to be in (which I don't), then you should have to vote for McGriff, too. He and Bonds basically had the same numbers until Bonds starting juicing. He was an elite hitter for about 15 years, and the when the Braves traded for him he was fantastic. They one by 1 game in their division, and he hit like 360 with around a dozen homers down the stretch. Even though those Braves team will be best know for coming up short in the playoffs, it wasn't his fault. He hit over 300 and drove in guys when they were on base.

Bringing this one back! McGriff and Bonds had basically the same #'s? Really? Bonds has more or less admitted that 1998 was the earliest steroid date. So that means that Bonds had 6 1000+ OPS seasons prior to 'roids, McGriff had one. Bonds was one of the best defensive players in baseball (8 gold gloves), stole a ton of bases, and was a perennial MVP candidate. I like McGriff and think he should get in based on overall body of work, but was he ever even the best 1B in the league at any time?

Reaction Score
RIP Frank Robinson a great player and baseball man. Those great Oriole teams were when I was getting into ML baseball they were fun to watch and try to replicate on the wiffle ball field as well as call your field hard ball games with 6-8 guys.

Reaction Score
So look at Petitte. 100 Games over 500. I look at traditional stats. I agree other stats not overwhelming...BUT, he did pitch against the steroid era hitters so if we think the juice affected their #'s, it would only make sense that the pitchers would have higher ERA's against them. He pitched 18 years and never had a losing season. Please tell me THAT counts for something? 11 of those years Winning pct over 600. Pretty convincing argument to me.

Put Pettite on the Devil Rays instead of the Yankees and what's his record? He played on a juggernaut offensive team who was a top 5 team in baseball year in/ year out his whole career (more or less)

Reaction Score
Put Pettite on the Devil Rays instead of the Yankees and what's his record? He played on a juggernaut offensive team who was a top 5 team in baseball year in/ year out his whole career (more or less)
Doesn't matter. He was one of the reasons. Can't diminish his accomplishments. Just sour grapes there.

Reaction Score
How do you explain Bert Blyleven? HOF'er. Played for the Twins when they were loaded offensively . Oliva, Killerbrew, Carew, Bob Allison, et al. Later Puckett, Hrbek. Also part of Pittsburgh teams and Rangers teams...loaded. His stats were great. But in spite of that, he was barely over 500. There is a knack for winning, not just stats. Why didn't Bert be home Blyleven have a better winning percentage? AP's stats warrant HOF based on W-L record.

Reaction Score
How do you explain Bert Blyleven? HOF'er. Played for the Twins when they were loaded offensively . Oliva, Killerbrew, Carew, Bob Allison, et al. Later Puckett, Hrbek. Also part of Pittsburgh teams and Rangers teams...loaded. His stats were great. But in spite of that, he was barely over 500. There is a knack for winning, not just stats. Why didn't Bert be home Blyleven have a better winning percentage? AP's stats warrant HOF based on W-L record.

Byleven/Pettitte

96.6 WAR/ 60.7 WAR
3701 Ks/ 2448 Ks
118 ERA+/ 117 ERA+
3.19 FIP/ 3.74 FIP
1.20 WHIP/ 1.35 WHIP
3.31 ERA/ 3.85 ERA
287 Wins/ 256 Wins

Pettitte was 2/3rds the pitcher Byleven was

Reaction Score
Byleven/Pettitte

96.6 WAR/ 60.7 WAR
3701 Ks/ 2448 Ks
118 ERA+/ 117 ERA+
3.19 FIP/ 3.74 FIP
1.20 WHIP/ 1.35 WHIP
3.31 ERA/ 3.85 ERA
287 Wins/ 256 Wins

Pettitte was 2/3rds the pitcher Byleven was
Funny you left out the key component of my argument.
250 Losses, 153 losses. So he was 160% the pitcher wasn't. We use all these newer stats. There is only one stat that counts in the long run in every sport. W's. Pettite met the bar and then some.

Reaction Score
Lol Byleven had more wins. You are clearly a Yankee homer every stat shows Byleven was the superior pitcher there is not one stat that says otherwise

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
RIP Frank Robinson a great player and baseball man. Those great Oriole teams were when I was getting into ML baseball they were fun to watch and try to replicate on the wiffle ball field as well as call your field hard ball games with 6-8 guys.
Tough, tough guy. As a Yankee fan glad most of his career was in the NL. He could back it up if an opponent wanted to tangle with him. Ferocious competitor from a bygone era.

Frank Robinson

Reaction Score
Tough, tough guy. As a Yankee fan glad most of his career was in the NL. He could back it up if an opponent wanted to tangle with him. Ferocious competitor from a bygone era.

Frank Robinson
My favorite Robby quote by far. "Who the hell is Rod Gaspar"?. He would soon find out.
I you don't know, look it up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom