OT PGA Championship | The Boneyard

OT PGA Championship

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Not to early to start talking. But I don't think there's not much to talk about before the first two rounds. If you don't have Koepka at the top of your list, you haven't been paying attention. I got him wire to wire (maybe a shot or two behind a couple hot rounds the first day) and up by 3 or 4 going into 18 on Sunday.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Not to early to start talking. But I don't think there's not much to talk about before the first two rounds. If you don't have Koepka at the top of your list, you haven't been paying attention. I got him wire to wire (maybe a shot or two behind a couple hot rounds the first day) and up by 3 or 4 going into 18 on Sunday.

Koepka who couldn't putt to close it out at the masters? I know he won last year but I don't see it for him this year.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Koepka who couldn't putt to close it out at the masters? I know he won last year but I don't see it for him this year.
He went back to his putting coach, made some changes, and has putted much better since the Masters.

Reaction Score
These greens and Augusta’s are probably as different as two major venues’ greens could be.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Has to be a player who can hit long irons high.

Course is wet and long, has elevated greens and several greens guarded by rough. No way to consistently run the ball up to the pin.

Also, Bethpage is a long walk. Long, wet, spongy walk.
Rory has won two majors in wet conditions.
Koepka has proven his worth.
I've dogged Fowler for being all hat, no cattle but I like him this week.

But I'm going with Xander for the win.

Reaction Score
I think Fairways hit will be the key factor. These top players make miracle shots from tree lines etc but they aren't scoring from the narly rough I saw some pictures of. Off the fairway and you are on your way to a bogie. Seems like most of the top guys have been a bit errant off the tees lately so I don't think there is hot player with the inside track. Might as well go with your personal favorites. I'll stay with the Tiger story but today's lawsuit may be a distraction.

Reaction Score
Has to be a player who can hit long irons high.

Course is wet and long, has elevated greens and several greens guarded by rough. No way to consistently run the ball up to the pin.

Also, Bethpage is a long walk. Long, wet, spongy walk.
Rory has won two majors in wet conditions.
Koepka has proven his worth.
I've dogged Fowler for being all hat, no cattle but I like him this week.

But I'm going with Xander for the win.
Weather is supposed to get better toward the weekend. Could be anyone’s game by Sunday, but I like bombers. Course is playing awfully long.

Reaction Score
Koepka has been the best golfer in the world for almost two years now so I’m going with him. Of course I’ll be wrong.

Reaction Score
My buddy bought an M5 and an M6 so he's rooting for Rory (you get your money back on the purchase of an M5 or M6 driver if Rory wins per Taylor Made at Dicks) LOL

Tough call this week I should be there today and tomorrow with a vendor but my son had ACL/MCL surgery so need to stay tight for a week or 2, would've loved a first hand look at the Black course. No doubt fairways will be significant but so will length. Those that are short or hitting lots of 3 woods or hybrids will have 220 in on par 4s. While they hit mid irons a long way it still doesn't set them up to hit on the part of the green the need to be on. Have to like Koepka - this past week in Texas he seemed to be working his tee game consistently despite not winning but was in the hunt, mostly looking to prep for Long Island. Always a tough call can't wait to watch it this course should make many of these pro's look normal at times.

Hope Tiger, think Koepka maybe Schauffle though!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
On a tangent but definitely like the new schedule.
March- TPC
April- Masters
May-PGA
June- US Open
July- Open
August- Playoffs

Every month has a marquee event. Players who are hot can really make a run at it.

Let those who need to work on their game or line their pockets play the shoulder season (Oct-Jan) and then start Mid-January in Hawaii, California tourneys, a couple of WGCs and then you are in to March again.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Hard to fade Koepka the way he is playing right now. I can't decide between him and Ricky to win. My fearsome foursome would be those two and DJ and Rahm.

Reaction Score
On a tangent but definitely like the new schedule.
March- TPC
April- Masters
May-PGA
June- US Open
July- Open
August- Playoffs

Every month has a marquee event. Players who are hot can really make a run at it.

Let those who need to work on their game or line their pockets play the shoulder season (Oct-Jan) and then start Mid-January in Hawaii, California tourneys, a couple of WGCs and then you are in to March again.

At first I hated the new schedule, but now I kind of like the consistency of the events. And, in August, I hardly ever watch tv -- almost always the pga was an afterthought.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
finau does something dumb every tournament to keep himself from winning.

Any of the usual suspects that hits it far can win. Just a matter of who's straightest off the tee this week since the rough is gnarly. Greens are small and mostly flat, so if GIR is high, that player should finish top 10 easy.

Interesting stat on Tiger - he won 2 of his last 7 events on tour and has finished top 5 in the last 3 majors he's played.

Reaction Score
I like the new schedule as well. It made no sense having the playoffs at the beginning of the pro and college football seasons and there was no reason to go two months between majors.

Reaction Score
I liked the longer break between Masters and next major (US Open). It provided a natural exhale after Augusta and proper build into the USO.

I get why the tour wants to wrap before football, but they turned the Tour Championship into a Net Championship. Add them forcing the Fedex Cup projections and Players Championship as a "major" this year, it's become a circus. Bring back Tim Finchem.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Keney Park just got a mention and snapshot as a muni success story on a Bethpage segment on The Golf Channel.

same guy did the initial designs on both if i remember my keney history

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So I don't know a lot about the Bethpage Black course. I can look up that the last two US Opens were won with scores of -3 and -4 but that doesn't tell me too much considering the last two Barclays were won with scores of -10 and -9.

How hard is the course? How have they set it up? What can we expect the scores to be? I have absolutely no idea if this going to be close to par or 10 under. Googling really doesn't help with these questions.

Reaction Score
So I don't know a lot about the Bethpage Black course. I can look up that the last two US Opens were won with scores of -3 and -4 but that doesn't tell me too much considering the last two Barclays were won with scores of -10 and -9.

How hard is the course? How have they set it up? What can we expect the scores to be? I have absolutely no idea if this going to be close to par or 10 under. Googling really doesn't help with these questions.
The Opens were both soaking wet.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'd think somewhere around -4.

It is L O N G. Bunch of Par 4's over 500. Course is wet and drives won't roll out on fairway. Lots of changes in elevation from fairway to greens.

Greens aren't particularly large and they aren't overly undulated.

Par isn't a hard score, birdie is really tough. Pressed to make birdie? Extremely tough.

Long hitters are going to be hitting 5-7 irons to greens and on several of them you have a partially blind shot to the green. Plenty of approach shots will be 20' from the pin
Even the pros don't make a bunch of birdies from that distance.
As the course dries out over the weekend balls will roll out on fairway and make their way in to the rough. Any approach to the green from the rough is going to be tough to hold the green.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom