OT- Pete Carroll | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT- Pete Carroll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Did you see the picture posted above? At the point of decision and release, it really wasn't that tight a window.
It was a bad play call, which was executed poorly. Wilson led the receiver. He should have thrown it right at Lockette, back shoulder, or a little behind him.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That last Seahawks play is actually not that bad a call. Only problem was Butler read it perfectly and bumped the WR out. Butler was on fire.

Seahawks were getting plenty lucky. Game ended with the Patriots getting the last bit of good luck.
I disagree. It was a horrible call. If they wanted to throw a pass, a fade would have been better.

Reaction Score
You don't see interceptions on slants in the middle of the field from the 1 because nobody throws slants into the middle of the field from the 1.

Uh, what? Are you at the point where you'll literally say anything and pretend it's grounded in some kind of fact even if it has no basis in reality just because you're so angry that the Pats won (another one)?

Reaction Score
Sure the ball could have been tipped. But Lynch could have fumbled. A million things can go wrong on any play, and the only reason people care about this play is because an incredibly rare thing happened.

Yup. It's hindsight bias, that's it.

Reaction Score
Did you see the picture posted above? At the point of decision and release, it really wasn't that tight a window.
The immediate aftermath was: this is the worst decision ever! Hell, I couldn't believe it watching it either. But after some reflection it should be easy to see the logic, and realize how great Butler's play was.

The problem is some people are unwilling to change their mind when confronted with evidence and would much rather sensationalize things than view them with a level-head.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
“I mean, the look on his face right after I made him throw that pick on the goal line was just priceless. He’s so annoying, so I wanted to get his hopes up and then crush him in front of the whole world. Self-righteous little pr**k.” - God.

Reaction Score
“I mean, the look on his face right after I made him throw that pick on the goal line was just priceless. He’s so annoying, so I wanted to get his hopes up and then crush him in front of the whole world. Self-righteous little pr**k.” - God.
That Onion article was brilliant, especially given Wilson's hysterics and effusive praise of God after the NFC title game.

Not trying to get into a bigger discussion, but I've just never understood why some athletes think that God cares about the result of a football or basketball game...

Reaction Score
Not trying to get into a bigger discussion, but I've just never understood why some athletes think that God cares about the result of a football or basketball game...
Just worldly success. I never pray for a win.

Four Super Bowl wins and 4 NCs in men's basketball doesn't feel too bad. Heck, I'll include Yale's championship in hockey in 2013. Was talking to a player sitting next to me (who ended up scoring a goal in the national championship game against QU) at a QU ECAC quarterfinals game. Told him his goalie sucks. Rest is history.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That Onion article was brilliant, especially given Wilson's hysterics and effusive praise of God after the NFC title game.

I thought it was funny too, but to be honest, it really is an over done joke. When The Comedy Channel first merged with the HA! Channel in the early 90's to become Comedy Central, they aired a series called Stand Up, Stand Up. As the title may suggest, it was a 1/2 hour filled with snippets of stand up comedians. I don't remember who it was, but I remember the bit like it was yesterday. Basically the punchline was (paraphrased), "Yeah we would have won, until Jesus made me fumble."

Reaction Score
I thought it was funny too, but to be honest, it really is an over done joke. When The Comedy Channel first merged with the HA! Channel in the early 90's to become Comedy Central, they aired a series called Stand Up, Stand Up. As the title may suggest, it was a 1/2 hour filled with snippets of stand up comedians. I don't remember who it was, but I remember the bit like it was yesterday. Basically the punchline was (paraphrased), "Yeah we would have won, until Jesus made me fumble."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...r-dropping-game-winning-pass-article-1.456341

Reaction Score
A pick is also illegal.

Yes, in the basketball sense, but in football receivers run routes all the time that put them in the way of the dbs in order to throw off their timing, draw them away from the targeted WR etc. The Patriots do it a ton, did it many many times on Sunday.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes, in the basketball sense, but in football receivers run routes all the time that put them in the way of the dbs in order to throw off their timing, draw them away from the targeted WR etc. The Patriots do it a ton, did it many many times on Sunday.
When it happens down the field, it tends to be called a penalty. Officials rely on their flags a little to much nowadays, which is why teams seems to bank on an interference call on long incomplete pass plays (See: Indianapolis Colts)

Anyway it is a moot point as I have since been educated that my original post was factually incorrect. The offensive player can initiate contact within one yard of the LOS. According to the picture, Kearse and Browner were clearly in the green as the ball is being thrown.

Reaction Score
You don't get to just say things and have them be true.

Sure the ball could have been tipped. But Lynch could have fumbled. A million things can go wrong on any play, and the only reason people care about this play is because an incredibly rare thing happened.

Yup. It's hindsight bias, that's it.

Right, because if they called a run and Lynch fumbled, everybody would be screaming, "why didnt they throw a quick slant pass into four guys??!!!""

NOBODY WOULD BE SAYING THAT.

Reaction Score

Apparently it was since it got Butler jumped in front and picked it off. The single freeze frame doesn't show how quickly he accelerated to the ball. Any pass on the goal line like that is risky no matter what. Not saying a run play would have guaranteed a TD but the odds are better.

Reaction Score
Apparently it was since it got Butler jumped in front and picked it off. The single freeze frame doesn't show how quickly he accelerated to the ball.

Right, and the only reason he accelerated like this was because he knew and recognized the play...something the Seahawks didn't anticipate.

Reaction Score
Right, because if they called a run and Lynch fumbled, everybody would be screaming, "why didnt they throw a quick slant pass into four guys??!!!""

NOBODY WOULD BE SAYING THAT.
So, it was not a "quick slant into four guys"--which is pure silliness. One corner was picked, and all the other Patriots were on the line of scrimmage or the other side. The only person who had a play on the ball was Butler, and it took incredible instincts and skill to beat the Seattle receiver to the spot.

As to you point: sure, people wouldn't be up in arms. So what? Lots of people are up in arms about all sorts of things, but just because lots of people believe something to have been the right decision doesn't mean it is. That's just a basic fallacy. Additionally, calling plays worrying about how the media, or random people, are going to react is the definition of playing to lose. He made a bold call. It failed. He has to live with that. But I'd rather be him, making his call, than have been the coward that was Mike McCarthy.

Again, not what I would have run, but not as absurdly indefensible as you'd make it out to be.

Reaction Score
So, it was not a "quick slant into four guys"--which is pure silliness. One corner was picked, and all the other Patriots were on the line of scrimmage or the other side. The only person who had a play on the ball was Butler, and it took incredible instincts and skill to beat the Seattle receiver to the spot.

As to you point: sure, people wouldn't be up in arms. So what? Lots of people are up in arms about all sorts of things, but just because lots of people believe something to have been the right decision doesn't mean it is. That's just a basic fallacy. Additionally, calling plays worrying about how the media, or random people, are going to react is the definition of playing to lose. He made a bold call. It failed. He has to live with that. But I'd rather be him, making his call, than have been the coward that was Mike McCarthy.

Again, not what I would have run, but not as absurdly indefensible as you'd make it out to be.

Well it cost them the Super Bowl. It was a terrible call. Just admit it.

Reaction Score
The only reason it was a "terrible call" is because of Browner. Kind of reminds me of the Buccaneers championship, except Browner "coached" the defense for that one play.

Also, God was rewarding Brady but that was after God punished him twice using Eli Manning for owning Peyton Manning and the AFC. Wilson was punished for going 11-0 against Super Bowl winning QBs.

Reaction Score
Butler's great play cost them the game. The play call itself didn't.

It's a call I wouldn't have made, but hardly indefensible.

Reaction Score
You could justify a pass there if it's a roll out or a play where Wilson only throws to his target if he's wide open. If not, throw it out of the back of the end zone. The risk/reward on a quick slant in that situation is a terrible gamble. If you do want a quick slant, have your guy isolated to one side of the field.

A quick hitter into congestion - and a play that relies on your slot WR shoving a 6'4 230 pound defense back into Butler? It doesn't get any dumber than that. Seriously, just think about that fact - we're calling a play to win the SB that greatly relies on our ability to shove Brandon Browner backwards into Butler. That's the play you call? That's the risk you want to take?

The play call was the dumbest I can remember in all of sports. My initial reaction was bursting out into laughter at how stupid it was, and I wanted Seattle to win.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Butler's great play cost them the game. The play call itself didn't.

It's a call I wouldn't have made, but hardly indefensible.
I can sum this up easily with one sentence:

My wife who calls an extra point a field goal immediately looked at me and said, 'Why didn't they run it again?'

That's really all you need to know to understand how stupid that play was.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
mXb9mbP.jpg

Reaction Score
But, the 'catch' that got the Hawks to the 5, with Kearse on his back about to make that amazing catch, the Pats defender(?) jumps over him!! If he dives into him, as most do, there is no catch.
I was ready to rip up my ticket, had the Pats -1, thank you Pete.

Reaction Score
If he dives into him, as most do, there is no catch.
It was a one in a thousand lucky catch. If the 2nd defender dives into him after the ball has already been knocked away, it's more likely a 15 yard roughing the passer and 1st down. The fact that the ball ended up in the guy's hands was not something the safety could have anticipated.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It was a one in a thousand lucky catch. If the 2nd defender dives into him after the ball has already been knocked away, it's more likely a 15 yard roughing the passer and 1st down. The fact that the ball ended up in the guy's hands was not something the safety could have anticipated.
Umm...there is only one potential passer on any given play and he was wearing #3 on that particular play. That is not Kearse's number.

Once the ball is touched by a player other than the one taking the snap, pass interference and defensive holding cannot be called. Unnecessary Roughness would not be called either unless the second player speared Kearse. He was not down and the ball was still live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom